WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Mester Resigns

Moderator: GAH

Mester Resigns

Postby Husky1967 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:10 pm

I have heard earlier this evening from a very reliable source that Jason Mester has resigned as Head Coach of Bloomsburg University Wrestling. No further details were offered.
Husky1967
Veteran

Re: Mester Resigns

Postby Bart » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:17 pm

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/458 ... head-coach

The University confirms:
BU Huskies ‏@GoBUHuskies · 13m13 minutes ago

WRST: Mester resigns as head wrestling coach. @theopenmat @ncaawrestling

No announcement made about new coach.

http://buhuskies.com/news/2016/9/1/mest ... coach.aspx
Bart
Expert

Postby mm55 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:14 pm

I feel like this was a known deal. Better he resign now then a few months back when recruits could have jumped ship. I feel they did this similar with Mark Cody. Who do they bring in to take over? No offense to Marcus Gordon but I don't feel he's D-1 caliber and he has no ties to PA. He's an ohio guy who has yet to bring in a guy from the buckeye state. They need a young fiery coach with a personality like Stutzman had to be on flo and letting the country know they're out there.
mm55
Veteran

Postby Bloomu1972 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:50 pm

Antone have any idea for a replacement? Does anyone have any idea if it was a voluntary resignation? I did notice 2 wrestlers that showed on the recruiting class do not show on their roster. Anyone know what happened to these 2?

Derek Wilson

Kevin Gentile (Pa state champ)
Bloomu1972
Novice

Postby Bart » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:11 pm

Bloomu1972 wrote:Antone have any idea for a replacement? Does anyone have any idea if it was a voluntary resignation? I did notice 2 wrestlers that showed on the recruiting class do not show on their roster. Anyone know what happened to these 2?

Derek Wilson

Kevin Gentile (Pa state champ)

I would like to see Mark Cody return to Bloom. Wilson apparently is still at Bloom and appears to be a supporter of Coach Mester. It may surprise some, but I have seen positive comments from wrestlers on the team stating Mester taught them lessons they will carry for a lifetime.
Bart
Expert

Postby mm55 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:47 pm

I can't see Mark Cody taking the job. Bloomsburg has to be kicking themselves for bot hiring Beasley last time when he applied. I cant see him leaving NC State now after this past class.

Realistically Bloomsburg they cant hire a big name coach due to money (or so I'm told). They would have to go after a young up coming guy or a personality like Stutzman thst will draw kids. It would be nice if thst someone who can recruit PA,NY,NJ and OH.
mm55
Veteran

Postby huskycolonial » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am

PEACE OUT!
huskycolonial
Veteran

Postby Husky1967 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:43 pm

I would say Div I wrestling at Bloomsburg is indeed a highly endangered species, and I strongly suspect there are those--unlike many of us--who will shed no tears. It sure will be interesting to see what will happen on the part of the athletic department in the next month or so. Will a really sincere effort be undertaken to rescue what was once a viable Division I program from the status of being entirely incapable of competing? It has been very sad and disillusioning for quite a few faithful alumni who have exerted themselves in any number of ways and gone to great lengths to be supportive of what was once a solid Division I program in which many of us took great pride.
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby mm55 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:10 am

I feel this level of being uncompetitive could make administration drop them to d-2 or worst case discontinuing. This is a make or break situation with this next hire.
mm55
Veteran

Postby mattown-maniac » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:31 pm

I agree with the last 2 posts. As a LH fan I enjoy and value the rivalry with Bloom (and its history). I feel everybody loses if Bloom wrestling drops down or worse. But here is my question and I am not here to be critical of Bloom, its fan base or my internet poster friends. There were supporters that stepped in at both LHU and Clarion to basically save those programs. Why hasn't the same actionable support occurred at Bloom? Why does the fate of the program appear to be left up to the vagaries of the university administration?
mattown-maniac
Veteran

Postby Husky1967 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:09 pm

The truth is that many of us have helped enormously over the years. When John Stutzman went to Buffalo, a number of us gave opinions and some recommendations, which in my opinion were rejected out of hand. I made a very clear and emphatic recommendation for John's successor and I never got any type of response. I am very sorry things went sour for Coach Mester and Husky wrestling. There have been other situations in which I offered my advice and support on certain issues and was rebuffed in no uncertain terms. The current AD is a definite supporter of Bloomsburg wrestling in Div I. Nevertheless, there is some sort of an ever present force of obstructionism at Bloom with respect to Div I wrestling and I don't think Coach Mester could find the means with which to cope with it. Furthermore, some of us long time supporters are also growing weary of trying to cope with it. Maybe, I'll send you a private message with more explicit details.
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby Bart » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:38 pm

It is somewhat concerning that they haven't posted the job opening yet. They either have someone in mind or they aren't looking.
Bart
Expert

Postby BUwrestler1 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:21 pm

Word is Russ Hughes would like to apply. I do not know how true it is as this rumor always comes up, but this is what the program could use. A guy like Russ is perfect for the job and to turn the program back around just like stutzman did. Especially how respected he is in the Columbia County area not only is he great coach and person, he would build a great support group. I hope he applies I know I would recommend him.
BUwrestler1
Novice

Postby Husky1967 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:35 am

I concur.
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby Bart » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Job posted. You have 6 more days to get your application in.
http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/8454283 ... ling-coach

It appears they were unsure whether to proceed with an interim coach or hire the permanent coach. From the openmat.com:

Former head coach Jason Mester resigned on September 1st, three days after classes started at Bloomsburg. There has been no indication from the school what the plans are going forward but, for reference, it took Oklahoma 19 days to hire Lou Rosselli after Mark Cody resigned last month. According to the Bloomsburg athletic department, the decision has been made to proceed with a search for a full-time replacement, rather than compete this season under an interim coach. The job has been posted on the Bloomsburg jobs page.
Bart
Expert

Next

Return to EASTERN WRESTLING LEAGUE