WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

LHU incoming transfers

Moderator: GAH

Re: LHU incoming transfers

Postby Husky1967 » Fri May 20, 2016 7:59 am

There is still a lot of explaining to do as to why the Bloomsburg program has declined in such a rapid and egregious fashion. Additionally, I am indeed enthusiastic for what is going on at Lock Haven. At this time, the only thing that keeps me attached to Bloom is loyalty and a certain pledge I made, and my loyalty is rapidly being tested beyond all reasonable expectations.
Husky1967
Veteran

Postby mattown-maniac » Fri May 20, 2016 9:19 pm

Apparently, the media has already made the switch.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Three transfers are looking for fresh start with LHU wrestling program

May 20, 2016

The Express

By MITCH RUPERT

For The Express

LOCK HAVEN -There was no time to celebrate. No time to sit back and take a deep breath. Scott Moore was in sell mode.

It was a natural move. He's been in situations before where he's recruited big-time wrestlers. So when the likes of Thomas Haines, Patrick Duggan and Chance Marsteller rang the phone in the Lock Haven wrestling coach's office, he was ready to sell his program.

The three former District 3 wrestlers were all looking for fresh starts. Duggan was ready to move on from West Virginia where life just wasn't what he thought it would be. Haines was ready to move on from Ohio State, where as a heavyweight, he knew he wasn't likely going to beat out world champion Kyle Snyder for a starting spot. And Marsteller was looking for a fresh start after things at Oklahoma State just didn't work out quite as he had planned.

Moore fielded phone calls from all three who were looking to come a little closer to home. And earlier this week, the transfers of all three to Lock Haven were finalized, boosting the incoming class of recruits for the Bald Eagles which was already ranked the 14th-best in the country by Intermat.

"As a wrestling coach and someone who really wants this program to succeed, this is a coach's dream to be able to have these guys coming into the program," said Moore, who will begin his fourth year as Lock Haven's head coach this winter. "As you work through the day, you think about it and you see these guys and you think, 'Wow, this is exciting.'"

The three were as celebrated as any high school wrestlers to come out of Pennsylvania in quite some time when they graduated. Marsteller and Haines were both four-time PIAA Class AAA state champions, Marsteller at Kennard-Dale and Haines at Solanco.

Marsteller's name was often mentioned in the same breath as Cary Kolat as both finished as undefeated four-time state champions. Marsteller finished his career 166-0 and was the top recruit in the country when he chose to attend Oklahoma State following his senior season in 2014. Haines finished his career 174-5 and was the 10th-ranked recruit in the country.

Duggan placed four times at the PIAA Class AAA tournament for Cumberland Valley, twice finishing second in the state, including his senior season. He was ranked as the 36th best prospect in the country in the 2015 recruiting class.

Now all three are looking for a fresh start in Clinton County. They all figure to be in Lock Haven's starting lineup when the season begins in November as all three were granted a full release from their previous schools.

"When I was originally choosing a school in high school Lock Haven was one of my top-five schools. It was easy to go back and see this was the top of my list before and go back and see if it's still at the top of my list," Haines said. "It was a pretty easy decision."

"For me, I like coach Moore a lot. And I wanted to surround myself with a bunch of guys who had the same goals and they're into the right things," Duggan said. "This is a perfect fit for me."

The transfers have brought Lock Haven to the forefront of Division I wrestling. The program hasn't seen an influx of talent like this maybe ever. And it hasn't brought in talent as special as this since Kolat transferred from Penn State in the mid-90s before winning a pair of national titles for the Bald Eagles.

Moore cautioned the high expectations which are bound to follow such highly-touted wrestlers. He said the best wrestling from this group, and the incoming freshman class, is still two or three years away. But when that time comes, he believes there's a chance Lock Haven could return to the top 15 or top 10 in the national standings.

"Ultimately it's going to be a building stage and not an overnight success story," Moore said. "I think a lot of people are excited because we got these guys and they think we're going to right away be top-five in the country, and that's just not how it works at this level."
mattown-maniac
Veteran

Postby Bart » Sat May 21, 2016 5:15 pm

LHU transfers took to the mat today at the University Nationals. Here are the results versus Bloom.

Match #2 Semifinal: Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) defeated Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) 7-2
57 - Derek Gulotta (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Logan Durham (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) Fall 0:49
61 - Joe Ghione (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Andy Schutz (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) Dec 7-1
65 - Ronnie Perry (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Grant Bond (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) TF 13-2
70 - Kevin Laubach (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) over Patrick Duggan (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) Fall 1:31
74 - Chance Marsteller (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Brendon Colbert (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) TF 10-0
80 - Demetri Probst (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Kyle Wojtaszek (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) Dec 11-4
86 - Trevor Allard (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) over Corey Hazel (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) Dec 12-9
97 - Tristan Sponseller (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Saul Wilkins (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) TF 10-0
125 - Thomas Haines (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Carey Miller (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) Dec 8-4
Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) 's team score was adjusted by 0.000 for pt adj
Bart
Expert

Postby mattown-maniac » Sat May 21, 2016 9:57 pm

Bart wrote:LHU transfers took to the mat today at the University Nationals.

Where can I find the results of this?
mattown-maniac
Veteran

Postby mm55 » Sat May 21, 2016 10:37 pm

Trackwrestling.com. They wrestled in the silver pool.
mm55
Veteran

Postby JStock » Mon May 23, 2016 6:19 pm

Pool G - FS - Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) is guaranteed 2nd place
Match #1 Round 2: Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) defeated Rockbridge County WC (VMI/W&L) 8-1
57 - Jake Field (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Quantin Tucker (Rockbridge County WC (VMI/W&L)) Fall 1:49
61 - Joe Ghione (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Ethan Hartman (Rockbridge County WC (VMI/W&L)) TF 10-0
65 - Ronnie Perry (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Hunter Starner (Rockbridge County WC (VMI/W&L)) TF 10-0
70 - Kyle Hammond (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Zach Papin (Rockbridge County WC (VMI/W&L)) TF 12-2
74 - Chance Marsteller (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Shabaka Johns (Rockbridge County WC (VMI/W&L)) TF 12-2
80 - Lee Davis (Rockbridge County WC (VMI/W&L)) over Demetri Probst (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) TF 19-6
86 - Corey Hazel (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Brandon Lefore (Rockbridge County WC (VMI/W&L)) TF 10-0
97 - Tristan Sponseller (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf
125 - Thomas Haines (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Justin Hite (Rockbridge County WC (VMI/W&L)) TF 10-0
Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) 's team score was adjusted by 0.000 for pt adj

Match #2 Round 3: Columbia U WC defeated Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) 5-4
57 - Derek Gulotta (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Vince Pallone (Columbia U WC) TF 13-2
61 - Joe Ghione (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Britain Carter (Columbia U WC) TF 10-0
65 - Ronnie Perry (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over JP Ascolese (Columbia U WC) TF 10-0
70 - Danny Reed (Columbia U WC) over Patrick Duggan (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) TF 10-0
74 - Markus Scheidel (Columbia U WC) over Chance Marsteller (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) Dec 11-10
80 - Tyrel White (Columbia U WC) over Derek Dragon (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) TF 10-0
86 - Nicky Hall (Columbia U WC) over Corey Hazel (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) Dec 8-4
97 - Tristan Sponseller (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf
125 - Garrett Ryan (Columbia U WC) over Thomas Haines (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) Dec 10-7

Silver Bracket - FS - Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) is guaranteed 1st place
Match #1 Quarterfinal: Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) defeated Blue & Gold WC (Hofstra) 6-3
57 - Jake Field (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf
61 - Joe Ghione (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Brandon James (Blue & Gold WC (Hofstra)) TF 10-0
65 - Ronnie Perry (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Kyle Krasavage (Blue & Gold WC (Hofstra)) TF 10-0
70 - Kyle Hammond (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Ryan Burkert (Blue & Gold WC (Hofstra)) Dec 8-2
74 - Chance Marsteller (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Jake Kaminsky (Blue & Gold WC (Hofstra)) TF 10-0
80 - Bobby Fehr (Blue & Gold WC (Hofstra)) over Derek Dragon (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) TF 10-0
86 - Cory Damiana (Blue & Gold WC (Hofstra)) over Corey Hazel (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) Fall 2:36
97 - Tristan Sponseller (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Mike Oxley (Blue & Gold WC (Hofstra)) TF 10-0
125 - Mike Hughes (Blue & Gold WC (Hofstra)) over Thomas Haines (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) TF 10-0

Match #2 Semifinal: Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) defeated Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) 7-2
57 - Derek Gulotta (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Logan Durham (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) Fall 0:49
61 - Joe Ghione (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Andy Schutz (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) Dec 7-1
65 - Ronnie Perry (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Grant Bond (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) TF 13-2
70 - Kevin Laubach (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) over Patrick Duggan (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) Fall 1:31
74 - Chance Marsteller (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Brendon Colbert (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) TF 10-0
80 - Demetri Probst (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Kyle Wojtaszek (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) Dec 11-4
86 - Trevor Allard (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) over Corey Hazel (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) Dec 12-9
97 - Tristan Sponseller (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Saul Wilkins (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) TF 10-0
125 - Thomas Haines (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Carey Miller (Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) ) Dec 8-4
Husky Wrestling Club (Bloomsburg) 's team score was adjusted by 0.000 for pt adj

Match #3 1st Place Match: Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) defeated Virginia Beach RTC (ODU) 5-4
57 - Jake Field (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf
61 - Brandon Jeske (Virginia Beach RTC (ODU)) over Joe Ghione (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) Dec 9-4
65 - Ronnie Perry (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Michael Hayes (Virginia Beach RTC (ODU)) TF 14-3
70 - Kyle Hammond (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Austin Eads (Virginia Beach RTC (ODU)) Dec 7-6
74 - Chance Marsteller (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Blake Sutherland (Virginia Beach RTC (ODU)) TF 10-0
80 - Terrell Forbes (Virginia Beach RTC (ODU)) over Derek Dragon (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) Dec 11-7
86 - Jack Dechow (Virginia Beach RTC (ODU)) over Corey Hazel (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) TF 10-0
97 - Kevin Beazley (Virginia Beach RTC (ODU)) over Tristan Sponseller (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) TF 15-5
125 - Thomas Haines (Mat-Town WC (Lock Haven) ) over Austin Coburn (Virginia Beach RTC (ODU)) TF 13-2
Virginia Beach RTC (ODU)'s team score was adjusted by 0.000 for pt adj
JStock
Novice

Postby mm55 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:12 pm

Can we expect Ghione at 133 with him making 61kg or is he still slated to stay at 141 behind Perry?
mm55
Veteran

Previous

Return to EASTERN WRESTLING LEAGUE