WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

LHU incoming transfers

Moderator: GAH

LHU incoming transfers

Postby mm55 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:26 pm

I just read on twitter that Lock Haven picked up 3 blue chip transfers. Who is the remaining guy if we're counting Haines and Duggan ? Is this LHU tipping their hand that they landed Chance?
mm55
Veteran

Re: LHU incoming transfers

Postby pknappy » Thu May 05, 2016 8:12 am

I also saw that on twitter. I was hoping someone had information on it. Hope it is Chance.
pknappy
Veteran

Postby mm55 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:14 pm

Themat.com forums said Chance Martseller to Lock Haven is pretty much a done deal according to Willie Saylor and Chris ti an Pyles. BIG BOOST FOR THEM with this incoming class and last years. EWL is on the come up.
mm55
Veteran

Postby huskycolonial » Tue May 10, 2016 11:00 am

Can we transfer Coach Mester to LHU?

I see my alma mater is sticking with its D3 wrestling program another year.
huskycolonial
Veteran

Postby Bloomu1972 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:56 pm

Lock haven was in a similar down period about 6 or 7 years ago. How many years in a row di Bloom beat Lock Haven in their dual meet? They were able to get some more money and now their program appears to be headed in the right direction. Bloom can also get theirs turned around. Take it easy on the coach and give me another year and see if they improve. Remember when Sanders left. Marcucci was not the answer. Dave Kennedy a great wrestler at Bloom was not the answer. He was left with no one when he took the job. Who do you recommend that can come in with the same financial situation as Mester and turn the program around quickly?
Bloomu1972
Novice

Postby mattown-maniac » Tue May 10, 2016 8:05 pm

There is down and then there is "down."
mattown-maniac
Veteran

Postby KTG » Wed May 11, 2016 9:21 am

KTG
Veteran

Postby mm55 » Wed May 11, 2016 2:29 pm

This transfer is HUGE for LHU. They have had two very good recruiting classes back to back with this that has build depth and brought in some studs. Biggest thing is Martseller and Haines both going there might make other top recruits not brush off LHU so fast if those two end up on the podium come march.

I'm just happy to see positive praise going their way after the Waller incident. For a minute there was ramblings on here,of possible reclassifying to D2 or even shutting down. Hopefully other smaller programs are able to follow LHU'S path and build up. We can't afford to have any more programs axed.
mm55
Veteran

Postby Bloomu1972 » Sat May 14, 2016 5:23 pm

Hopefully the people in power at Bloomsburg ate aware of the turnaround at Lock Haven
Bloomu1972
Novice

Postby mattown-maniac » Sat May 14, 2016 9:46 pm

mattown-maniac wrote:There is down and then there is "down."
I don't want it to seem like I'm treating this in a lighthearted way because it's a serious situation. But during LHU's down years they lost but at least stayed competitive in Division I. Most years they still placed 3rd in the PSAC's after Boro and Bloom and a couple years finished behind Clarion, as well, ending up 4th. This past season Bloom finished 10th, I believe, being beaten by at least 6 Division II teams. If I remember correctly, I think Bloom had 1 top 6 placewinner. That's not just down it's close to being down and out. It may be wishful thinking that the powers that be at Bloom are concerned about the program. The turnaround at LHU was the result of a concerted effort that had little to do with the administration. There was support from an extremely tight alumni wrestler group that goes as far back as 1950's alums. There is also support from the Lock Haven community. LHU supporters demanded the program go in another direction. They formed a group, PLOW, which was short for Preserving the Legacy of Wrestling to coordinate the effort. They enlisted media involvement in LH and Williamsport. Through this effort, they forced the AD out (very difficult to do at a PA state school) and PLOW actually pointed the administration in a different direction. Further, when I've been to matches at Bloom the very respectful and knowledgeable crowd seems to be up in years on the average. Not a lot of younger fans, at least that I could see. If my observation is correct that also is not a good thing for Bloom wrestling. What is going on among the Bloom supporters to help get things turned in a more positive direction?
mattown-maniac
Veteran

Postby Bart » Sat May 14, 2016 10:09 pm

mattown-maniac wrote:
mattown-maniac wrote:There is down and then there is "down."
I don't want it to seem like I'm treating this in a lighthearted way because it's a serious situation. But during LHU's down years they lost but at least stayed competitive in Division I. Most years they still placed 3rd in the PSAC's after Boro and Bloom and a couple years finished behind Clarion, as well, ending up 4th. This past season Bloom finished 10th, I believe, being beaten by at least 6 Division II teams. If I remember correctly, I think Bloom had 1 top 6 placewinner. That's not just down it's close to being down and out. It may be wishful thinking that the powers that be at Bloom are concerned about the program. The turnaround at LHU was the result of a concerted effort that had little to do with the administration. There was support from an extremely tight alumni wrestler group that goes as far back as 1950's alums. There is also support from the Lock Haven community. LHU supporters demanded the program go in another direction. They formed a group, PLOW, which was short for Preserving the Legacy of Wrestling to coordinate the effort. They enlisted media involvement in LH and Williamsport. Through this effort, they forced the AD out (very difficult to do at a PA state school) and PLOW actually pointed the administration in a different direction. Further, when I've been to matches at Bloom the very respectful and knowledgeable crowd seems to be up in years on the average. Not a lot of younger fans, at least that I could see. If my observation is correct that also is not a good thing for Bloom wrestling. What is going on among the Bloom supporters to help get things turned in a more positive direction?

All very nice, but according to some posters it was the LHU decision to hire their current head coach and not Meister that turned the program around. Remember Meister was in the running for LHU.
Bart
Expert

Postby mattown-maniac » Sat May 14, 2016 11:02 pm

They clearly made a good decision in hiring Scott Moore as the head coach. Yes, Bart, I am being careful to be nice but it's important to understand that I'm referring to all that went down prior to the coaching decision. Isn't that where Bloom is now? Moore has put together a great program in terms of improving competitive performance and obviously with recruiting but also the academic program ( LHU ranked 23rd in D1 academically) and fundraising, camps, and working with the team in the community. He also communicates well through the media and he uses social media to promote the team/program. Things are definitely looking up. If you are focused on the coach you are missing the point of my previous comments, though.
mattown-maniac
Veteran

Postby Bart » Sun May 15, 2016 8:04 am

mattown-maniac wrote:They clearly made a good decision in hiring Scott Moore as the head coach. Yes, Bart, I am being careful to be nice but it's important to understand that I'm referring to all that went down prior to the coaching decision. Isn't that where Bloom is now? Moore has put together a great program in terms of improving competitive performance and obviously with recruiting but also the academic program ( LHU ranked 23rd in D1 academically) and fundraising, camps, and working with the team in the community. He also communicates well through the media and he uses social media to promote the team/program. Things are definitely looking up. If you are focused on the coach you are missing the point of my previous comments, though.

Seriously, I think Bloom is doing all that to some extent. The coaching staff has recruited well, they preach academics with mandatory study halls, brought in an Olympic wrestler to attract campers, had the team work the Big Event in cleaning the community, etc., and they have had supporters throw out matching donations of $20,000. They use social media occasionally, but not enough. These are the basic things that should be done with any program. Bloom needs to do more of the same, but that still doesn't mean they will win.
Bart
Expert

Postby mattown-maniac » Wed May 18, 2016 7:26 pm

Well, Bart, you can always become a Bald Eagle fan. :)
mattown-maniac
Veteran

Postby Bart » Thu May 19, 2016 7:44 am

mattown-maniac wrote:Well, Bart, you can always become a Bald Eagle fan. :)

As an IUP and Bloom alumnus, if Bloom goes the way of IUP, I'll join you.
Bart
Expert

Next

Return to EASTERN WRESTLING LEAGUE