WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Reid Stanley to Bloom

Moderator: GAH

Reid Stanley to Bloom

Postby Bart » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:24 pm

Reid Stanley Waynedale H.S. Ohio commits to Bloom. 4x state medalist at 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th. In 2015 he had 59 wins to finish 5th at 145. Jumped to 160 in 2016 and had to forfeit out to 7th place. Preview of the 2015-2016 year below:

Stanley built another excellent season in 2015, winning sectional and district titles over the likes of state placers Jake Spino (Independence) and Josh Weber (Loudonville).
A week later, Stanley advanced to the state semis with a pin and an 11-1 major over 4th place finisher Brandon Bates (Genoa). Here, he lost to 2x state champ Logan Lacure (Dayton Chr.) and then fell in sudden victory to Cody Dingess (W. Jefferson) in the consolation semis. Stanley would close out the year with a default victory over Josh Weber to finish in 5th place.
He’ll be in the middle of the state title race next year, and we’ll see if he can overcome the likes of Beverley and Vestal to close out his high school career on the top of the mountain.
Bart
Expert

Re: Reid Stanley to Bloom

Postby Bloomu1972 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:46 pm

Great news. We need depth and we need wresrlers to plug holes for next year. Is Nate Newberry from Biglerville and Willy Girard from Williams Valley still scheduled to be there in the fall? I assume Bo Spiller was able to red shirt this past season. Will he be a go for next season? Any other recruits?
Bloomu1972
Novice

Re: Reid Stanley to Bloom

Postby Bart » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:38 pm

Bloomu1972 wrote:Great news. We need depth and we need wresrlers to plug holes for next year. Is Nate Newberry from Biglerville and Willy Girard from Williams Valley still scheduled to be there in the fall? I assume Bo Spiller was able to red shirt this past season. Will he be a go for next season? Any other recruits?

Yes to all those questions.

TOWER CITY — Willy Girard’s dream of wrestling in college became a nightmare playing soccer last July.

The Williams Valley senior got some of the worst news an athlete can hear: He injured the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee. The ACL injury required surgery and hours of painful rehab. The injury also kept him off the soccer pitch and put his wrestling season into doubt.

“I was told I might be back and the end of December, and I didn’t like that,’’ Girard said. “I knew I could be back for the season.’’

Though some doubted him, Girard made his return at the season-opening DKI Tournament at Bloomsburg High School. The 113-pounder notched two falls, then a 4-3, ultimate tiebreaker win over Upper Dauphin’s Bronson Garber in the finals to become a three-time DKI champion.

Coming through a tournament and a tough final like that was exactly what Girard needed.

I think it helped me,’’ he said. “I got over the knee, the

fact that it was hurt, and wrestled better.

“There were a lot of painful moments getting back on the mat the first week or two at practice.’’

Surprisingly, the knee surgery didn’t affect Girard’s performance much during the season — no heavy brace, no repeated injury-time stoppages.

“It healed up really nice,’’ Girard said. “I hope it stays that way.’’

So does the Bloomsburg University wrestling program, which recently signed Girard as a member of its recruiting class.

The 18-year-old from Williamstown plans to major in environmental biology.

“I like the campus and really like the coaches,’’ Girard said. “They’re excited to get me on the team. They’re an up-and-coming team in Division I, and that’s where I want to be.

“It’s been a goal of mine (to be a college wrestler) since third grade when I started (wrestling).’’

Bloomsburg’s getting a wrestler who just completed the best season — and career — in Williams Valley history. Girard captured gold at the District 11 Class AA Tournament and was named Outstanding Wrestler.

He continued by placing third at the Southeast Regional and then placed third at the PIAA Wrestling Championships.

Girard finished the season 37-4 and became the school’s career wins leader at 136-30.

“This is my last chance,’’ Girard said of being a senior. “It focused me up. ... Every day I wrestled like it was my last match. It put me over the top against those better kids.’’

Now, being signed, sealed and delivered at Bloom, Girard can enjoy the rest of his senior year.

“It was a lot of pressure,’’ Girard said. “Having everything set and making my choice, I know what I have to work toward. It’s all right in front of me now. I’m glad I made my decision when I did.

“I’d like to thank my coaches, family and all the people who have coached me on this journey.’’

http://republicanherald.com/sports/vike ... -1.2024703

Bart
Expert

Return to EASTERN WRESTLING LEAGUE