WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Chris Honeycutt EWL Wrestler of the Week

Moderators: Allen Brown, GAH

Chris Honeycutt EWL Wrestler of the Week

Postby Allen Brown » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:15 pm

January 1, 2012

EDINBORO, Pa. – Edinboro University’s Chris Honeycutt (North Ridgeville, OH/St. Edward) has been named the Eastern Wrestling League Wrestler of the Week for the week ending January 1. It marks the third time that the senior has received the honor this year.

Honeycutt was recognized after winning the 197 lb. title at the prestigious Midlands Tournament, hosted by Northwestern University. He opened with a 20-4 technical fall at 6:09 over Josh Wood of SIU-Edwardsville. He followed that up with a 20-8 major decision over Joe McMullan of Bucknell.

In the quarterfinals he posted a 5-2 decision over Illinois’ Mario Gonzales. That left with a matchup against Byron Tate of Wartburg in the semifinals. The 2010 runnerup at 197 lbs. at the Midlands, this was a rematch of the NWCA All-Star Classic bout in November. Honeycutt recorded a first period pin against Tate, a two-time Division III national champion, in the first meeting. This time around Honeycutt pulled away for a 17-9 major decision over the number five seed.

Honeycutt, the number one seed and ranked third by InterMat, met third-seeded Micah Burak of Penn, who is ranked ninth, in the finals. He gained a 2-0 lead with a takedown midway through the first period, then rode Burak the rest of the period. Following a scoreless second period, Honeycutt escaped to start the third for a 3-0 lead, and closed out the 4-0 decision with a point for riding time.

Honeycutt remained undefeated on the season at 23-0 and improved to 113-20 for his career. He moved into a tie for 14th in career wins.

Edinboro returns to action on January 7, hosting Buffalo in a 1:00 p.m. at McComb Fieldhouse.
Allen Brown

Re: Chris Honeycutt EWL Wrestler of the Week

Postby CJC » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:16 pm

I am now rescinding my prediction at 197 as I can easily see that Honeycutt should be considered a co-favorite with Simaz.
CJC
Expert

Return to EASTERN WRESTLING LEAGUE