WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Scuffle Day 2

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Re: Scuffle Day 2

Postby LuLc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:03 pm

Medal and Championship round now starting - at 184.

Kutler v. Hall likely last bout . . .
LuLc
Veteran

Postby mr_ftl » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:20 pm

WallyCKP wrote:>>Ugh....and this tournament as Wally has said is not nearly the meat grinder as in year's past.....

... Well ughh for sure ... but the format is a meat grinder regardless

... And I'm tired of us too often getting outhustled by guys who upset us -- just like we enjoy getting upsets when we're unranked.

... I'll write in LUWN Thurs about how few of these holidays I've ever attended (among 23-24) where I *haven't* been significantly disappointed.

... you think it hurts there, try investing all the travel time & $$ like mr ftl and I just did

... good thing I used FF mi this time ... and thank god for the nice finishes, too, but not enough of them

I think I coined the term “meat grinder” regarding the Scuffle. I just hope this is rock bottom for the team and they can rebuild to peak in March. This is my fifth Scuffle (at least) and I’ve been to two Midlands. This is definitely the worst collegiate holiday tourney the I’ve attended.

The Scuffle is a shadow of former itself, as compared to its heyday in Greensboro with Cornell, OK State, Mizzou, and Minnesota. I don’t know which was worse... drop off in talent, Lehigh performance, seeds, OK State no-shows (Fix & Smith), having only ONE laptop to cover video reviews for four mats, and the officiating... I truly believe I saw a ref give Verkleeren a reversal AFTER giving him a TD - and the RT clock never started (consy R12). I’ll have to go back and rewatch that bout.

My five-year old will begin wrestling next year. Perhaps we’ll find a nice holiday youth tourney in the Bakersfield area and make a father/son weekend out of it?
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby gimp » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:25 pm

mr_ftl wrote: having only ONE laptop to cover video reviews for four mats,

Not sure what you mean here. Normal Flo setup is that each mat has two laptops. One for the scoring and one for the video. I'm guessing what you're seeing (I'm not there obviously) is that they are using another machine that can pull any mat up given that they all are in the same network.
Were they having an issue with two reviews simultaneously occurring?
gimp
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:28 pm

>> I am sure Coaches made decision to pull kids for reasons stated above but I am sure the SS brass aren’t happy about that.

... Look up other optional tourneys; there are a pantload of cons forfeits

... Not sure too many here noticed except LU diehards. Even PSU had two injuries, McCutcheon & Cortez, although neither will be missed - especially with Lions in finals incl '3rd-string'
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:29 pm

gimp wrote:

Not sure what you mean here. Normal Flo setup is that each mat has two laptops. One for the scoring and one for the video. I'm guessing what you're seeing (I'm not there obviously) is that they are using another machine that can pull any mat up given that they all are in the same network.

Never had two at once. But it was obvious they were only using one for video review. Officials from any of the four mats went to the same laptop dude to do video review. Pretty obvious when mat 4 had a review and they went all the way down to between mats 1 & 2 to conduct the review. In some instances, it took longer to walk back/ forth than it took to do the review. Was exacerbated when they’d do a review, determine the call, and forget to check the time. Had to run back to laptop dude a second time.
Last edited by mr_ftl on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:30 pm

>>>>>>>>I'm on board with the refs correcting the mistake once OkieSt challenged. Yes, they were screwed by not being offered choice per the rules.

My beef is with two refs and the scorers table completely missing a well known rule.

Not a judgement call, but a basic rule. And it took away a well earned td and forced Karam to wrestle an extra 45 seconds on an injured leg.

Karam making the Scuffle finals would have helped his rankings and he NCAA seed.

Last comment---- I really like the way Karam's been wrestling, especially scoring offensive takedowns in all his Scuffle matches even if the last one was negated by the refs error.

It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:33 pm

Agree about Karam - he looked good this week. Particularly from neutral.
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby gimp » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:37 pm

mr_ftl wrote:
gimp wrote:

Never had two at once. But it was obvious they were only using one for video review. Officials from any of the four mats went to the same laptop dude to do video review. Pretty obvious when mat 4 had a review and they went all the way down to between mats 1 & 2 to conduct the review. In some instances, it took longer to walk back/ forth than it took to do the review. Was exacerbated when they’d do a review, determine the call, and forget to check the time. Had to run back to laptop dude a second time.

I was looking to do something like that at EIWAs- have a single machine available but my plan was to go to the mat area so we could be alone to look without people breathing their necks.
As I said, there is a machine available on each mat (which is how we did it at EIWAs) so I'm not sure why they did it this way.
I also wonder if what you're really seeing is that they're going to the independent reviewer more than to the machine.
Interesting.
gimp
Expert

Postby GeorgePorgie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:47 pm

Darian Cruz just took the UNI wrestler apart. He makes it look effortless. :D
GeorgePorgie
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:49 pm

Not an independent reviewer. Flo dude manning the laptop & mat officials conducting the review. Flo actually has pretty good footage of the video review that took place during Cassar’s SF bout.

Your approach would be better - bring the laptop to the mat. However, you may want to have two laptops available.
Last edited by mr_ftl on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby BP-LU87 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:50 pm

Cruz with a takedown clinic! Wicked fast
BP-LU87
Expert

Postby D3 for LU » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:59 pm

Cruz swarmed Schwarm w/multiple TD techniques... good show ol'bean!
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby LUchico » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Gimp, your point about everything changes (mind set etc.) once a mistake is made, which makes for a "wouda, coulda situation", is well taken.
But I rather talk about Darian Cruz instead. Makes me feel better about Lehigh's showing.
God, I going to miss seeing him wrestle after this year!
LUchico
Expert

Postby gimp » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:05 pm

mr_ftl wrote:Not an independent reviewer. Flo dude manning the laptop & mat officials conducting the review. Flo actually has pretty good footage of the video review that took place during Cassar’s SF bout.

Your approach would be better - bring the laptop to the mat. However, you may want to have two laptops available.

The Flo review process isn't super simple (although it has been improved from year 1). It's not just point and click a remote at the screen. Again, I don't know if they have changed it up again since last year but you have to pull the file up from the directory (top one timewise) and play it- have to find the time frame. So although you're saying not an independent reviewer it is an independent replayer.
gimp
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Penn State's Nick Lee just got pinned by the guy who squeaked by Karam in the semis.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lehigh