WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Scuffle Day 2

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Re: Scuffle Day 2

Postby gimp » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:20 pm

mr_ftl wrote:It would have worked well if the Flo transcript remotely matched the actual bout (see video). Admittedly, the (assumed) volunteer table crew wasn’t helped by an incompetent primary referee and a back seat driver referee who gave incorrect corrections.

The errors are so egregious that it is almost comical. Fortunately, it did not really map the the outcome of the bout.

I'd be interested in finding out why. Again, I posted this simply to add info to the discussion not to defend anybody.

I found out who was running the tourney and talked with him.
Basically, he agrees with you. I believe he said they had to replace that guy.
gimp
Expert

Postby JAD77 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:40 pm

LU in NJ wrote:If 174 is as low as he can possibly go, then you move forward.

Bingo. The ship has sailed on 165.
JAD77
Expert

Postby Toast » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:00 pm

LU in NJ wrote:
Jordan fits well at 174 if the goal is to win a lot matches and EIWA titles and become an AA, but the top of the podium ( or even top 3) appears to be a bridge too far.

Jordan's 2nd loss to Hall wasn't a one td affair that hinged on a scramble, Hall was solidly better in all three positions.

Hall is a special, world-level talent. While Kutler can give him a good match, he's never been close to scoring on him. While I'm in the Kutler at 165, Presich at 174, Weiler at 184, and Jakobsen at 197 camp,I don't know that weight has anything to do with Hall's wins over Jordan.

I'd add that I think Kutler can beat Z. Valencia and Bo Jordan.
Toast
Veteran

Postby weh » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:15 pm

Not sure about Valencia as V is an insane talent who will only lose if he gets careless.
weh
Expert

Postby LUEngineer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Kutler & Preisch dropping weight would be ideal to get Weiler into lineup but likely that cart left the barn a while ago. Question always comes down to individual ability to drop weight without losing strength & confidence. I would guess if Kutler could get down that Preisch could get down as well.
LUEngineer
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Toast wrote:I'm in the Kutler at 165, Preisch at 174, Weiler at 184, and Jakobsen at 197 camp

Don't forget Wolf or Walter at 157.

While I agree that I'd love to see that lineup, I'd worry about bumping that many guys down right at the end of the year. In the Good Ol' Days when weight shifts were common the season was a whole lot shorter. Most modern wrestlers spend the year sucked down.

The last time that I can think of that we shifted weights right before EIWAs was in 1992, the only time that Steve Cassidy cut to 142. Freshmen Brian Cipollone and Rick Hepp, who spent all season at 158 and 167, cut to 150 and 158; and Solomon Fleckman, who wrestled 45 bouts coming back from a knee injury, cut to 167. The shifts were made to give Fleckman his best chance and he won his only EIWA title and his only NCAA medal. But Cassidy failed to place for the only time, Cipollone managed 6th, Hepp 3rd. So while it can be argued that it worked for Fleckman, it certainly didn't for Cassidy or Cipollone. Given the current lineup, the guy I think is helped the most is Preisch; I think Kutler goes back to gasping and Wolf/Walter and Weiler may well join him.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:44 pm

Navy's Jadaen Bernstein gave Hall a better match than Kutler.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby JAD77 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Guys - please stop with all the speculative posts about the weight cutting. It's not going to happen, no matter how much you may want it or think it beneficial. Where we are, is where we are.
Last edited by JAD77 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAD77
Expert

Postby JAD77 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:32 pm

thewhorehouseisbusy wrote:Navy's Jadaen Bernstein gave Hall a better match than Kutler.

Well, we'll find out how Jordan and Jadaen match up in 11 days. My money is on Kutler.
JAD77
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Bernstein is the Lehigh killer. Beat Wolfman x2, Chase Gallick, Nate Brown & Santiago Martinez.
Last edited by thewhorehouseisbusy on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby GeorgePorgie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Jordan is a great wrestler. He didn't look that loose against Hall. I think Hall learned more about Jordan from the first match than Jordan did about Hall.
GeorgePorgie
Expert

Postby LUchico » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:59 pm

JAD77 wrote:Guys - please stop with all the speculative posts about the weight cutting. It's not going to happen, no matter how much you may want it or think it beneficial. Where we are, is where we are.

Is that inside information or just your speculation? And if the weights are settled, why keep it a secret? It just invites more speculation.
LUchico
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:38 am

>>Kutler & Preisch dropping weight would be ideal to get Weiler into lineup but likely that cart left the barn a while ago. Question always comes down to individual ability to drop weight without losing strength & confidence. I would guess if Kutler could get down that Preisch could get down as well.

... Sheesh, I thought this topic left the dock a month ago. Kutler told me Dec. 3 he was staying up - and it was quite apparent it was because he's sure he'll compete better there than sucking down. He and Preisch are in agreement with the staff - and Pat has publicly said "when in doubt between weights, go up"

... Name the last Top 5 first wrestler who cut a weight 2nd semester. Then name two the same month, let alone same team. Go ahead; make my day.
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:42 am

>>And if the weights are settled, why keep it a secret? It just invites more speculation.

.... Let me get this straight ... coaches make line-ups, we follow them.

.... We're the ones speculating when there's no reason to.

.... So if they announce something's final, do we then swear on a bible that we're done speculating?
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:47 am

>>Jordan is a great wrestler. He didn't look that loose against Hall. I think Hall learned more about Jordan from the first match than Jordan did about Hall.

I was hoping for more, as I know an excellent Kutler did, after chatting with him after PSU. But by all accounts Hall may very likely go down as one of the all-time greats. Cue the late John Harmon with his: "You gotta' problem with that !?"
WallyCKP
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lehigh