WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Lehigh Recruiting

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Re: Lehigh Recruiting

Postby RichB » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Interesting posting I just saw on the Lehigh Sports Forum, Football, Early Signing Day Thread.

"One possible reason regarding the Liberty WR is that admissions may not have been on board. Fordham has the lowest AI in the PL, which has many times impeded out ability to go after a number of very good players AND who were very good students, but whose overall academic numbers did not meet requirements. I know first hand that we have actually been prevented from going after some regional hs players who were later admitted and played for Penn.

Read more at http://www.lehighsportsforum.com/forums ... Hfl6V53.99"
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:52 pm

>>>>>>>All good info. I don't Lehigh wrestling has to contend with Patriot League AI parameters.

The ultimate issue for admissions, imo, is can an average hs student that brings a special plus to the school/overall student body also handle the course work and graduate----- I believe they can if they have the motivation and discipline.

Lehigh's dual recruiting challenge is that plenty of guys will be well below average students and thereby off limits and the guys that can make it thru emissions have 40+ other good options ranging from the B1G and ACC to most of the Ivy's.

Enjoy the ride, It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:05 pm

>>>Wally, since it’s the holiday season I don’t want to be “unkind” and ignore your hard work but I’m afraid your “ass busting” leaves me unconvinced. First, isn’t it rather early in the game to assess the career success of members of the Class of ’17? More importantly, you apparently went to a lot of trouble to attempt to prove the obvious, to wit: rankings and high school results are imperfect predictors of D1 success.

... You are absolutely correct, sir. And yet you (yourself, not I) went to the trouble of specifically referring to two straight "weak" recruiting classes !

... I assessed #14-17 as "recruiting classes" and did my best to assess our guys compared to them -- as HS recruits, w/out guaranteeing the future.

... So do you admit that calling the current freshmen "a weak class" was both premature and not provable ? You can't have it both ways, Can you.?

Answer: for the sake of argument that's exactly what half of us do -- all the time. Argue any and all sides. 'Because we can"

scribe seems to have a better grasp than many. We all go to the bathroom all the time, which doesn't make it newsworthy.
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby trimanmatfan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:23 pm

I had really hoped that this discussion had come to an end with Mr. Henning's insightful and illuminating comment that he didn't give a crap what those who disagree with him think. But to respond (once again) to you, my view, in a nutshell, is that the last two recruiting classes are subpar by Lehigh standards owing to the absence of Top 100s and champions from highly competitive wrestling states. It's just a resume assessment. As to "prematurity", I was merely responding, at your request, to you having introduced the separate issue of very short term results being an indicator of recruitment quality.
"Give it 5 minutes."
trimanmatfan
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:19 am

I'm with Oracle; we really don't give a crap when naysayers say "weak" but actually meant "subpar." Everything in life goes in cycles -- everything except the rotating earth and sun. There are two Top 100s in this class and three were three at some point during their sr years. I've tracked recruiting results since 1964 and feel very strongly about them.
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby Mountain Hawk » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:08 am

WallyCKP wrote:Everything in life goes in cycles -- everything except the rotating earth and sun.

MH is dumbfounded - had u pegged for a flat earther.
Mountain Hawk
Expert

Postby RichH » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Noticed a couple of days ago Connor McGonagle NH committed to Lehigh. A top 50 on Intermat.
Thought I would see it here. Didnt so I am putting it up for all the mavins to dissect.
Merry Christmas all.
RichH
Veteran

Postby trimanmatfan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:43 pm

RichH wrote:Noticed a couple of days ago Connor McGonagle NH committed to Lehigh. A top 50 on Intermat.
Thought I would see it here. Didnt so I am putting it up for all the mavins to dissect.
Merry Christmas all.

Rich, Klehner brought this to the Board's attention 4 days ago and then Marylandengineer rebroke the good news a bit later. But you came in third, so you made it to the podium!
"Give it 5 minutes."
trimanmatfan
Expert

hoo-RAY, for 3rd!!!

Postby D3 for LU » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:06 pm

:wink:
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby LUEngineer » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:35 am

To me the difference between the blue chip recruit and second tier recruit is being on the top rung of the podium multiple times in good wrestling states and/or demonstrated champion credentials at Beast of East etc. The truly solid second tier recruits like Pomrinca, Hoffman, Moran etc. are all valued solid recruits that have been the essence of Lehigh wrestling for many years. Clearly Lehigh has demonstrated the capability to take these kind of recruits and make them into All Americans during their careers. Preisch should be the next perfect example of that assuming his ankle injury doesn't set him back in his pursuit. Brown and Walter made it to the top of the podium in AA their senior year and likely have AA capability by their senior year as well. Parker clearly was on the cusp of blue chip but never made the top rung except at Beast which made him blue chip eligible.

But Darian, Kutler, Karem, Wood, Jacobsen and Weiler all have top of the podium blue chip credentials who offer that early career All-American capability and ultimate top of the podium potential. Darian has achieved that status as our coaches had predicted from the day he was recruited.

So at this point we wait patiently for that announcement of the next true blue chip to support that class of '16 with those 4 stud freshman that can carry the load for a few great years. Perhaps the New England Junior recruit just announced is just that announcement---lets see how his junior and senior year play out.

Merry Christmas to my fellow Lehigh Wrestling Fans!!
LUEngineer
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:24 pm

>>>>>>>>Merry Christmas to all.

A little food for thought as I look forward to a Christmas dinner of turkey with all the fixings.

It's easy to define blue chip as being state champs, but imo, it's too confining a metric.

Recruiting starts when guys are 9-10 th graders ( or earlier)---- few state champs are that young and those that are (Karam, etc) are easy to identify but highly sought after.

Landing a guy like Jake, however, is critical to Lehigh's consistent success and he didn't become a state champ until long after the coaches targeted him and the recruiting process was virtually complete.

Would Jake be any less of a wrestler today if he lost one match and finished 3rd as a sr along with 2nd as a jr?

His title was icing on the cake and helped his hs ranking, but essentially meaningless in term of his contribution to Lehigh once he arrived on campus.

It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:06 pm

Interesting fact: PA 2,1 Jake was never once I-Mat Top 100

2 of our 3 current true fr alternated with the honor
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby trimanmatfan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:15 am

WallyCKP wrote:Interesting fact: PA 2,1 Jake was never once I-Mat Top 100

2 of our 3 current true fr alternated with the honor

Really? Then somebody should correct his bio on the team's roster page which indicates that he was ranked 80th in the Class of 2016 by InterMat and 46th by FlowWrestling.
"Give it 5 minutes."
trimanmatfan
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:34 am

Jakobsen was never in the Top 100 anywhere until after he won his state title, after he had committed to Lehigh. Karam, Weiler, and Wood were all Top 20 at the time Lehigh recruited them, but Jake was a development project who wouldn't have been deemed a blue chip in anyone's analysis. He's developing, but that doesn't retroactively make him a blue chip recruit.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:56 am

thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Lehigh