WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Lehigh Recruiting

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Lehigh Recruiting

Postby LU 1991 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:26 am

I was looking at the high school rankings list, which also indicated college commitments for those wrestlers, and noticed that only one top 20 kid at any weight has committed to Lehigh (Jeret Lane at 120 lbs). I recognize that we have a relatively young team and the only senior starter is our NCAA Champ, however I would think we would have more top ranked commits. Should we be slightly concerned?

This is not a dig at the coaching staff, so please put down the daggers. I think we have a strong current team and am impressed with how well they have performed thus far but would think we would grab a couple rated blue chips (subjective).
LU 1991
Novice

Re: Lehigh Recruiting

Postby JDALU75 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:33 am

These things run in cycles. If we have a couple of large recruiting classes in a row, you can expect them to be followed by a small class or two. Part of it is the available aid money, part of it is roster size. Lehigh has 44 wrestlers on the roster this year and I only see three who won't be back for sure next year. We sometimes lose a few who decide to concentrate on academics, but I'd expect a small incoming class next fall.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby know it all » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:45 am

And. There isn't a clear definition of "Blue Chip" recruit. Some say that a "blue chip" is someone who is ranked by intermat in the top 100 of their respective class. Other have different options as to the meaning.

I totally agree that the funding available is a large contributing factor. But the biggest hurdle that the coaching staff has and it is a good hurdle is that when they are recruiting the best talent that they can from the pool of D1 college ready athletes across the country is that LEHIGH University admissions is the toughest in the country. Most but not all college ready wrestlers do not make the 1st test grade witch is admissions. Being a top level wrestler is not even on the admissions checklist when applying to LEHIGH.

So with not a lot of need from graduation and not returning next year, available funds for need base, and the high standard for acceptance; we will not be seeing to many "top shelf" "blue chip" recruits this year. Not to say that 2 or 3 don't come in by the end of recruiting class this year.

We have the best in the country; coaching staff for coaching and recruiting. Granted somethings are totally out of their hands and that is not always a bad thing.
know it all
Veteran

Postby gimp » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:21 am

JDALU75 wrote:These things run in cycles. If we have a couple of large recruiting classes in a row, you can expect them to be followed by a small class or two. Part of it is the available aid money, part of it is roster size. Lehigh has 44 wrestlers on the roster this year and I only see three who won't be back for sure next year. We sometimes lose a few who decide to concentrate on academics, but I'd expect a small incoming class next fall.

To add to this- don't forget that the FAB Four (or was it 5?) from early 0's led to our #1(*) class of mid 0's (asterisk because it didn't pan out). I think the year before this was a great depth year. Then a couple of leaner years. Although it's been smoothed out some since the monied kids still tend to graduate together to an extent. We just came through a couple very good years. Note that we should also look at graduations. Obviously they follow the same pattern. We can't possibly be in a big money year if only one blue chip is graduating.
gimp
Expert

Postby JAD77 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:49 pm

know it all wrote:I totally agree that the funding available is a large contributing factor. But the biggest hurdle that the coaching staff has and it is a good hurdle is that when they are recruiting the best talent that they can from the pool of D1 college ready athletes across the country is that LEHIGH University admissions is the toughest in the country.

I think Coach Ayres at Princeton might argue with that.
JAD77
Expert

Postby LU in the Hub » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:37 pm

JAD77 wrote:
doesn't know much at all wrote:I totally agree that the funding available is a large contributing factor. But the biggest hurdle that the coaching staff has and it is a good hurdle is that when they are recruiting the best talent that they can from the pool of D1 college ready athletes across the country is that LEHIGH University admissions is the toughest in the country.

I think Coach Ayres at Princeton might argue with that.

And Jay Weiss at Harvard... Let's keep it reality-based.
LU in the Hub
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:41 pm

C'mon, even know it all deserves some slack on the comment. Princeton, Stanford, Harvard have the toughest 3 admissions staffs in the nation.

But they're not commonly Top 15 as we are. As reported earlier here, CU has had more unranked classes the last 5 yrs than we have. Blips occur virtually everywhere but I for one am glad we have Jared Lane and Brian Meyers arriving next August, before counting others.
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:09 pm

Already missing the best Lehigh lightweight since Caruso. Replacing a whale ain't easy but they're out there. Julian Chelebove, Sammy Sasso, all in our backyard but alas their combined SAT's would fall far short of Lehigh acceptance.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby Spladle88 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:10 pm

If Dylan Milonas was still wrestling he would be a senior this year correct? (assuming no red shirt I think?)........Last I knew he was still at Lehigh after his medical issues, wonder if he is still on scholarship and if so does that come off the books with Cruz this year? Dylan was a true blue chip recruit who I'm sure got a nice financial package from Lehigh.....Not my business, and if he still does get financial help good for him (and for Lehigh for supporting him after injuries).....but if he does come off the books then between him and Darian I would think those are two big parts of our 9.9......
Spladle88
Expert

Postby HFO » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:00 pm

It is my understanding that Lehigh will provide need based aid to any family of admitted students under $100k of household income. There may be a floor for admission, but it is role to identify recruits early and get them there.

There are also other D1 programs that make great use of academic scholarships and ROTC scholarships.

I do not believe you can be a consistent Top 10 program in any NCAA sport unless you recruit the highest level athletes every year.
HFO
Novice

Postby JAD77 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:19 pm

I believe the coaching staff is well aware of the need to fill the stable. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Just felt like using some cheesy sports cliches. :D
JAD77
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:06 pm

>>> I do not believe you can be a consistent Top 10 program in any NCAA sport unless you recruit the highest level athletes every year.

... And the Top 10 programs all DO recruit the highest level every year.
... But signing them is a horse of a different color
... Especially with Power Five conferences now handing out $5k-$7k annual cash stipends above full rides
... With none of them costing upwards of $65k/yr like Lehigh does, meaning our half ride offers often approach total costs elsewhere
... So it's incredible the staff so often ranks top 7 to 11 in such stats as recruiting, Top 10 teams, A/As, NCAA finalists and Top 10 dual teams
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby RichB » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Do you, Wally, or anyone know exactly how the $5-7K works? (I don't).

For example. In D1 Basketball has 13 scholarships, and I think they most all be full. (The only D1 teams I ever see with more than 14-16 guys are the Ivies and the service academies.) So I assume those 13 guys just all get the $6K (or whatever). But Wrestling, and I think all other sports (except FBS football) give partial rides, so typically their are 15-20 guys who get partials. Does that mean the additional money supplement total is 9.9 x $6K? Or can the school, XXSU, give the full $6K to everyone getting any wrestling money? Or can everyone in the room, even those with no wrestling money get $6K.
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:15 pm

I wrote "above a full ride" so I don't understand the question. You can Google it as well as i can; simplest wording from 2015 appears below (and our coaches have confirmed that common Power Five practice already exceeds $5k/yr whenever a school wants):

The kids got paid, cash money, simply for being scholarship student-athletes.

A new era in college sports arrived for the 2015-16 school year in the form of full “cost of attendance,” a stipend paid over and above the benefits of a scholarship. The amount of the stipend varies by school, ranging from about $2,000 to $5,000 extra going to each full-scholarship athlete.
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby gimp » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:43 pm

WallyCKP wrote:I wrote "above a full ride" so I don't understand the question. You can Google it as well as i can; simplest wording from 2015 appears below (and our coaches have confirmed that common Power Five practice already exceeds $5k/yr whenever a school wants):

The kids got paid, cash money, simply for being scholarship student-athletes.

A new era in college sports arrived for the 2015-16 school year in the form of full “cost of attendance,” a stipend paid over and above the benefits of a scholarship. The amount of the stipend varies by school, ranging from about $2,000 to $5,000 extra going to each full-scholarship athlete.

Schools are allowed to, doesn't mean they suddenly have any more money to actually do it in all cases.
gimp
Expert

Next

Return to Lehigh