WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Sunday Penn and Drexel

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Re: Sunday Penn and Drexel

Postby JDALU75 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:18 pm

LU in NJ wrote:it was done on a regular basis in days of old when knights were bold

And it worked as often as it didn't.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:47 am

Thought Lehigh should have been docked 1 point for Farro's slap of Drexel's hand after he lost. The Drexel kid then went into a hand slapping frenzy of his own.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby WallyCKP » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:28 pm

Show me a dual where they don’t keep score and i’ll agree

Duals are everything in Nov and Dec unless you go to Vegas

Then Midlands and SS matter; then Duals matter a lot until March

If they didn’t matter there would only be 3 polls all year; pre/season; pre-qualif; pre-NCAAs

Checkmate
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby JAD77 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:04 pm

You guys really need to get over with this dropping weights stuff. :) Kutler and Preisch aren't going anywhere. Wolf is a huge 165 pounder, and so is Cole Walter. Ian Brown will never see 149. These guys are all ripped and have nothing but muscle to lose, even though some on this forum imagine they see "spare tires". We are where we are vis a vis weight classes.
I see the only weight still up for grabs as 197.
Last edited by JAD77 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAD77
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:13 pm

JAD77 wrote:You guys really need to get over with this dropping weights stuff. :) Kutler and Preisch aren't going anywhere. Wolf is a huge 165 pounder, and so is Cole Walter. Ian Brown will never see 149. These guys are all ripped and have nothing but muscle to lose, even though some on this forum imagine they see "spare tires". We are where we are vis a vis weight classes.

197 and 165
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby LUchico » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:19 am

I can only partially agree with you Jad. I totally agree that Wolf, Walter, and Brown neither could nor should try to cut. But the drop of Kutler, Preisch, Weiler and maintenance of Jacobsen at 197, to fill out 165 through 197, I think would be possible and sounded like it would be considered in a couple of Santoro's interviews.
My guess is that the Scuffle will shed a lot of light on the situation. Preisch's injury is also a factor, both how long he will be out and who should replace him.
LUchico
Expert

Postby GeorgePorgie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:15 am

Does Cole Walter have difficulty making weight at 165? Maybe that's why he is having endurance issues. I don't remember him having that problem last year. Given the Lehigh lineup I can understand the need for him to go 165, but he's pretty thick, and looked good last year and had plenty of gas. He's a good wrestler.
GeorgePorgie
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:53 am

GeorgePorgie wrote:Does Cole Walter have difficulty making weight at 165? Maybe that's why he is having endurance issues. I don't remember him having that problem last year. Given the Lehigh lineup I can understand the need for him to go 165, but he's pretty thick, and looked good last year and had plenty of gas. He's a good wrestler.

Broke his nose in practice Friday, broke his face mask early in the Drexel bout and had to switch to standard headgear. Maybe he was having breathing issues, maybe he got bopped in the nose again during the bout.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby trimanmatfan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:45 pm

To me, Preisch looks a little undersized for 184 and could get down to 174 without a lot of difficulty. Kutler, on the other hand, looks to me to be a "full" 174 and that would be a different story. But I guess looks can be deceiving since somebody previously posted that a heavyweight who looked to me (and I think to many others) to weigh 30 pounds more than Wood actually was only 10 or 12 pounds heavier.
"Give it 5 minutes."
trimanmatfan
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:11 pm

trimanmatfan wrote:To me, Preisch looks a little undersized for 184 and could get down to 174 without a lot of difficulty. Kutler, on the other hand, looks to me to be a "full" 174 and that would be a different story. But I guess looks can be deceiving since somebody previously posted that a heavyweight who looked to me (and I think to many others) to weigh 30 pounds more than Wood actually was only 10 or 12 pounds heavier.

I was thinking the same thing, that Preisch might be able to make 174 but Kutler (who looks like he could use a little more length) isn't going down. I'm starting to think that some guys just don't have the reach to handle some weights, despite knowing full well that they're cutting plenty of weight. I saw the Penn State weigh-in sheets and Nevills weighed in at something like 265 while Wood was around 253. But Nevills sure looked a lot bigger; weh thought so too so it's not just us.

The other thing that hasn't been an issue yet is that this season the NCAA greatly increased the penalties for trying to skirt the weight-loss rules. You don't do something like that unless you're certain that some are playing games. Nobody's been bitten yet, but it's probably only a matter of time.
JDALU75
Expert

Postby RichB » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:37 pm

My understanding is that Walters had an illness a couple months ago that causes one to lose weight, but also lose strength and endurance. I will let someone else not subject to Hippa laws discuss it in more specifics.

Anyway, the Flu (which this wasn't) does the same thing. I had the flu during each of my 3 HS years, over Xmas vacation. JR year was exceptionally bad, like 60 hours with no solid food staying down. I could have easily dropped a weight class, and in retrospect should have, but strength and endurance was gone for a couple weeks. Remember, Mark Lieberman having sever flu, turning to walking pneumonia his last couple years. He countered it by ignoring any weight restriction. Remember he wrestled Hwt against Navy(?) so the SI article would observe him (1st period pin). (Mike Brown didn't do the normal up to Hwt 'cause he had an ankle sprain.

I had forgotten about the broken face mask. Certainly an unprotected broken nose is a problem.
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby JAD77 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:23 pm

mr_ftl wrote:
JAD77 wrote:You guys really need to get over with this dropping weights stuff. :) Kutler and Preisch aren't going anywhere. Wolf is a huge 165 pounder, and so is Cole Walter. Ian Brown will never see 149. These guys are all ripped and have nothing but muscle to lose, even though some on this forum imagine they see "spare tires". We are where we are vis a vis weight classes.

197 and 165

Wait and see.
JAD77
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:19 pm

195 and 165 and 149. See Wilkes thread.

There is nothing wrong with weight class uncertainty, especially since it encourages all involved to keep working on improving.

There are at least 8 guys fighting at those three weights. Six of the eight own career W's over Top 20's.

I'm wondering if this was ever true before in our wrestling room. We sure had lightweight talent in the early '80's with Weaver, Santoro, Husted
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby LuLc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:41 am

Add in Schuyler and Burley, and had a stable(r) full of horses fighting for couple of weights with Loman forced to not their optimal wt, class.
LuLc
Expert

Previous

Return to Lehigh