WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Sunday Penn and Drexel

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Re: Sunday Penn and Drexel

Postby RichB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:48 am

LU in NJ wrote:>>>>>>>>>triman----- Dunn seems to be the emergency guy at 184. I think Price is better, but he may need some advance notice to make 184.

I thought we'd see Wolfman get a match today at 165. I don't if it was a ding, a wrestle off result or simply the coaches decision. Whatever it was Walter was the most gassed I've seen a Lehigh wrestler in years.

It's easy to question individual match strategy in hindsight, but both Schuyler and Walter scored quick 1st initial tds off good
leg attacks and then went upper body for most of time in neutral.

I liked the step up from Penn to Drexel. More realistic of what guys will encounter in a tourney where the matches usually get tougher as they advance.

Lastly, after watching Jake and Weiler, I'm thinking this team has more chances for AAs with Kutler/Preisch/ Weiler/Jake at 165/174/184/197 than the current lineup with Jake and Weiler competing for the 197 spot.

Lehigh 27-8 over #4 Mich. It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan.

Actually Wrestlestat had Penn ranmked a little higher than Drexel in both duals and tournament. Although that should change.

I guess that second meet, with Drexel fresh and well fed (I assume they weighed in with Penn and us) will often present problems
. Remeber2006. Where Weibel got injured in a win against Penn, and Kevin McFarland, in his only dual match, held on 0-7 against large and talented Drexel 285 Cowen. meet score 21-19. A Cowen TF would have been the same result as yesterday, winning on bouts 6-4. (but Cowen getting McFarland on his back with time and space would have not been a good thing) - Looking at that day further, Matt Ciusulli also was out after getting mauled by Dragon, And Zinck out both duals. (that was our great MATT era, Fisk, Ciusulli, Cassidy, Ennis, Anderson)

having a line-up with K/P/W/J would seem strongest. But making weight??? And of course, I would not expect RP to be able to run much the next couple weeks
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:52 pm

Drexel had 15 TDs against us vs. none for Penn.

Wrestlestat doesn't know any more than know it all.

But I don't even recognize this board anymore ... squeak by Dragons and overwhelmingly objective posts led by non-alums scribe and toast ??

Who let the dogs out?
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby BP-LU87 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:58 pm

[quote="WallyCKP"]Drexel had 15 TDs against us vs. none for Penn.

Yes. but all 15 were by 1 guy. (just kidding of course but man Desanto is good on his feet)
BP-LU87
Expert

Postby scribe » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:17 pm

I have a Lehigh doctorates in antagonism
scribe
Expert

Postby RichB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:35 pm

BP-LU87 wrote:
WallyCKP wrote:Drexel had 15 TDs against us vs. none for Penn.

Yes. but all 15 were by 1 guy. (just kidding of course but man Desanto is good on his feet)

Weren't they all by three guys? I think Desanto was the only Dragon to get the first TD. Walters had more TDs than the guy who beat him.
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:22 pm

I had 16 TDs -- 7 by DeSanto, 4 by Elfvin, 4 by Jarrell (Walter had 5), one by Brooks. Brooks and Jarrell also had reversals. Penn had one reversal all dual. To be fair, they were missing several starters.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby HFO » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:03 pm

3 Things Learned
1. 149 weight class not decided
2. 157 weight class not decided
3. 197 weight class not decided

If you are a Lehigh wrestler who wants into the lineup, now is time to make adjustments to get to your most desirable weight. Lehigh backups need more D1 experience through open tournaments!
HFO
Novice

Postby BP-LU87 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:07 pm

165 not decided as well. The last few times I've seen Walter wrestle it hasn't been pretty (but I only "heard" the Penn match which sounds like he did well).

Both 165 guys are like the Lehigh football team.....score a lot of points, allow a lot of points.
BP-LU87
Expert

Postby RichB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:21 pm

I think 149 is decided unless lane goes down

I think 157 is decided unless Walters goes down
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby pinmachine » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:03 pm

I know its highly unlikely, but wouldn't it be nice to see Cruz, Parker, Karam, Brown, Walter, Kutler, Preisch, Weiler, Jacobson, Wood?
pinmachine
Veteran

Postby ms64 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:14 pm

We can only dream. Is it possible for GFW to make 157?
ms64
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:38 pm

ms64 wrote:We can only dream. Is it possible for GFW to make 157?

Wolfie last weighed in at 157 on 11/8/15. Since then he's been bulking up to be available at 165 or 174. I really think his 157 days are over.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:47 pm

pinmachine wrote:I know its highly unlikely, but wouldn't it be nice to see Cruz, Parker, Karam, Brown, Walter, Kutler, Preisch, Weiler, Jacobson, Wood?

We'll see at least half of that if everyone stays healthy. Ian cut to 149 twice two seasons ago and evidently wasn't comfortable. He only wrestled in three events last season, all at 165. I think 157's his weight.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Karam bulk up a bit for the future. Right now he reminds me of Parker last year; a little bit small for the weight.

Jakobsen. -en means Norwegian, not Swedish. k and not c means traditional. I had a great-uncle named Jacob Jacobsen; fought in the Great War. But he went by Jack, not Jake or John (which is what our 197-pounder prefers).
JDALU75
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:00 pm

As weh mentioned before the duals yesterday, Drexel is a team on the rise. Austin DeSanto is the centerpiece of their recruitment efforts, but he's not the only guy. Half their team yesterday were true frosh, and two won. They also have two Top 100 recruits coming in next year.

Yesterday's freshman:

DeSanto, Intermat's #14 overall recruit, PA state champ at 126 and runner-up at 120, 188-7 HS record. He was tech falled in the state finals by Spencer Lee in 2016, then he edged Lee 6-5 in 2017. He had a 13-3 record before yesterday.

Chandler Olson, 4-5 before losing to Karam yesterday, was a 4x PA state placewinner with a 147-19 record.

Trevor Elfvin, 8-5 before his win over Schuyler, was a PA state qualifier, 141-39 overall, wrestled at 152 last year.

Evan Barczak, 5-5 before his loss to Brown, was a 3x NJ state placer and a 3x NHSCA A/A.

Vincenzo Pelusi, winless so far, was a PA 6th last year, 77-20 overall. His older brother is F&M's Antonio Pelusi, NCAA qualifier two years ago.
JDALU75
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:14 pm

>>>>>>> Probably just a pipe dream, but I'd take pinmachine's lineup at 8 weights in a heartbeat and happily go with Schuyler/Brown at 149/157.

Zero weak weights and Eight with NCAA seeding potential (top 16) and 125/133/165/174 top 4 seed potential. Yes, I'm biased, but I thing Karam, Weiler, Jake & Wood all have top 16 potential this year.

Lastly, I'm fine if Kutler, Preisch and Weiler don't drop down until the EIWAs------- it was done on a regular basis in days of old when knights were bold

Just one fan's opinion.

Lehigh 27-8 over #4 Mich. It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lehigh