WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Parker v DeSanto Sunday

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Re: Parker v DeSanto Sunday

Postby JDALU75 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:16 pm

klehner wrote: I wouldn't put a bunch of weight behind his falls at that tourney.

Pinned Rider's Tropea in 0:34 and Hofstra's Vespa in 0:59, both in duals. Vinny was 5th at EIWAs last year. It's clear he looks for quick pins.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby BlkKnight » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:52 pm

Goodhart is taking his Red Shirt this year
BlkKnight
"Newbie"

Postby Toast » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:26 pm

I'll be looking forward to this bout. I like Parker on the winning side of a shootout or Parker by fall.
Toast
Veteran

Postby JAD77 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:58 pm

BlkKnight wrote:Goodhart is taking his Red Shirt this year

Good information. I wondered why he hasn't wrestled in any duals this year.
Oh well, that would have been a great bout.
JAD77
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:28 am

>>>>>Goodhart was included in several rankings so I thought he wasn't wrestling due to the dreaded 'ding'.

Still some good matchups vs Penn and Drexel to look forward to.

Lehigh 27-8 over #4 Mich. It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

Postby JM » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:32 am

DeSanto is getting a lot of positive hype - some, but not all, of it warranted, imo. He looked great at times during the recent Vegas tournament, particularly when beating top-seed Steve Micic in the consolations, 22-10. He didn't look nearly as peppy in his two bouts against Virginia's returning All-American, Jack Mueller, scoring nary a point in either match losing 4-0 and 7-0.
By the way, look out for American's Josh Terao at 133 - he made the Vegas finals, defeating Mueller, 6-0 and Pitt's Dom Forys, 6-3 along the way.
JM
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:18 pm

>>>>>>>>Parker beat Terao by a fairly close score at the Journeyman. Should be another excellent test for Scotty at the AU dual. Terao is extremely quick but Parker' has a horsepower advantage.

133 turning into a pretty solid EIWA weight

Lehigh 27-8 over #4 Mich. It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:30 pm

JM wrote:DeSanto is getting a lot of positive hype - some, but not all, of it warranted, imo. He looked great at times during the recent Vegas tournament, particularly when beating top-seed Steve Micic in the consolations, 22-10. He didn't look nearly as peppy in his two bouts against Virginia's returning All-American, Jack Mueller, scoring nary a point in either match losing 4-0 and 7-0.
By the way, look out for American's Josh Terao at 133 - he made the Vegas finals, defeating Mueller, 6-0 and Pitt's Dom Forys, 6-3 along the way.

Stop his (DeSanto's) fireman’s/barrel roll series and you can beat him. i.e., deny him elbow control, an adjustment Micic didn't make until after he gave up 3 TDs/NF.

DeSanto doesn’t even attempt to ride from top. He can’t get off bottom against even mediocre opponents. That is how Mueller racked up over 6 min of RT in their second bout. If I'm not mistaken, DeSanto had a 14-point lead entering the 3rd period of his Keystone Classic final, chose bottom... AND GOT RIDDEN OUT! That's right, he only needed an ESC for a TF and couldn't get off bottom.

Keystone final: https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6049 ... gonser-emu
Vegas 3rd pl: https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6052 ... nto-drexel

Three aspects to college wrestling: top-bottom-neutral. He is only good in one at this time.
Last edited by mr_ftl on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:50 pm

nice summary by mister football ... I'm impressed by DeSanto as most should be and have noticed several meteoric rises by newcomers, like Mattin, LaMont & DeSanto. One of the advantages in moving around the country as newbies is lack of rival scouting, which eventually erodes once they're widely viewed.

I admit I was worried about Mattin, who beat Russell worse in 1 bout than DC did in five. That worked out well for us; experience counted most plus home mat

That earlier description of Austin sounded frightening; but it sure sounded like UVA (which recruits PA) had him scouted; little doubt we have, too.
Mueller moved up this year; Scotty went up 2 yrs ago and has six more semesters than AS plus Cruz + Perelli + his bro as workout partners. We'll respect DeSanto but like our chances
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:22 am

WallyCKP wrote:nice summary by mister football ... I'm impressed by DeSanto as most should be and have noticed several meteoric rises by newcomers, like Mattin, LaMont & DeSanto. One of the advantages in moving around the country as newbies is lack of rival scouting, which eventually erodes once they're widely viewed.

I admit I was worried about Mattin, who beat Russell worse in 1 bout than DC did in five. That worked out well for us; experience counted most plus home mat

That earlier description of Austin sounded frightening; but it sure sounded like UVA (which recruits PA) had him scouted; little doubt we have, too.
Mueller moved up this year; Scotty went up 2 yrs ago and has six more semesters than AS plus Cruz + Perelli + his bro as workout partners. We'll respect DeSanto but like our chances

Saw the Mueller bout in Vegas live... 1st live event for my 5-year old boy! I've been careful not to push his interest in wrestling, following my dad's lead. The boy climbed into my desk chair as I was watching the Friday night QF... I said the event was in Vegas & he asked if we could go, so we drove over for the finals & 3rd place bouts Saturday afternoon.

I watched most of the Keystone stream real time.

More context for DeSanto's win over Micic... Micic had just come off losing to tOSU's Pletcher earlier that day. DeSanto was the cons SF following the loss. Not surprising that Micic's head wasn't in the bout until it was too late.
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby trimanmatfan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:42 pm

mr_ftl wrote:
JM wrote:DeSanto is getting a lot of positive hype - some, but not all, of it warranted, imo. He looked great at times during the recent Vegas tournament, particularly when beating top-seed Steve Micic in the consolations, 22-10. He didn't look nearly as peppy in his two bouts against Virginia's returning All-American, Jack Mueller, scoring nary a point in either match losing 4-0 and 7-0.

Stop his (DeSanto's) fireman’s/barrel roll series and you can beat him. i.e., deny him elbow control, an adjustment Micic didn't make until after he gave up 3 TDs/NF.

DeSanto doesn’t even attempt to ride from top. He can’t get off bottom against even mediocre opponents. That is how Mueller racked up over 6 min of RT in their second bout. If I'm not mistaken, DeSanto had a 14-point lead entering the 3rd period of his Keystone Classic final, chose bottom... AND GOT RIDDEN OUT! That's right, he only needed an ESC for a TF and couldn't get off bottom.

Keystone final: https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6049 ... gonser-emu
Vegas 3rd pl: https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6052 ... nto-drexel

Three aspects to college wrestling: top-bottom-neutral. He is only good in one at this time.

Considering he beat not only Micic but also Spencer Lee last season and Forys (who beat Parker last season) and Gustafson (who Parker edged in SV in Troy) recently, I have to wonder if he's that much of a one trick pony. I guess we'll get a sense of the extent of his trick arsenal tomorrow.
"Give it 5 minutes."
trimanmatfan
Expert

Postby LU in the Hub » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:51 pm

Good solid wrestler with some potential big scoring moves if you fall asleep on defense. The Navy Freshman, who looks pretty good, held DeSanto to a regular decision. Note, the Lehigh match notes are not listing anybody other than Scott Parker, implying Scott will wrestle in both duals.

The Drexel Freshman at 149 out-wrestled the Navy Captain Corey Wilding for most of the match and then lost it in the 3rd. Ebed Jarell also gave Drew Daniels a good battle, losing a 1-pointer.
LU in the Hub
Expert

Previous

Return to Lehigh