WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

PPL Center

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Re: PPL Center

Postby gimp » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:46 am

I believe it usually is the same weekend as regionals for Pa so most fans from up there would be down in Bethlehem or out in Williamsport.
gimp
Expert

Postby RichB » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:29 am

gimp wrote:I believe it usually is the same weekend as regionals for Pa so most fans from up there would be down in Bethlehem or out in Williamsport.

That is why I think it should be Saturday-Sunday, wherever it is. (or April)

Of Course, if it were at PPL, we would not need to worry about clearing Stabler, because we might be hosting an 8-9 game in the Patriot League Basketball tournament.
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby CJC » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:39 pm

SAM wrote:
LUEngineer wrote:Totally unrealistic to use PPL for Eiwa’s as attendance doesn’t warrant. .

Currently, EIWA tickets are $70 and it appears that EIWA is happy with 2500 attendance.
I am curious what revenue is generated for the EIWA, host school and fellow conference schools.
Does the host school absorb all costs? If there is a profit what is the split with EIWA and its member schools.

If EWA was at PPL Center, I would have 4 sessions over two days.
I would recommend 3 tier tickets levels: $60 for 4000 reserved seats/40 for 2000 reserved /$20 for 2000 general admissions area.
I would expand orb all costs the EIWA program advertising to include local hotels and restaurants.
Maybe Lehigh Business School should contact PPL Center to perform a case study on the feasibility of hosting EIWA.

If I had the money, I would be a promoter and have it at Mohegan Sun Arena in Wilkes-Barre.
I would need an operations manager (partner) who would actually coordinate operations of tournament.
I would take advantage of using the newspapers and TV to advertise our tournament for ticket sales and results.
With proper advertising, I bet I could sell at least 5000 seats.

l

You could sell it out with the right promoter.
CJC
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:56 pm

SAM wrote:EIWA tickets are $70

$80 at Hofstra if you buy in advance.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby gimp » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:13 pm

JDALU75 wrote:

So cheaper if NOT bought in advance?
gimp
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:15 pm

The goal of Easterns organizers is to get it over with as quickly as possible. Only wrestling masochists attend.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby RichB » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:33 pm

thewhorehouseisbusy wrote:The goal of Easterns organizers is to get it over with as quickly as possible. Only wrestling masochists attend.

So run it where we could put down 8 mats. With 15 minutes for pre-final ceremony, and 4 minutes for individual trophies, 5 minutes of special and team trophies, takes 11 hours. :twisted:
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Several abandoned Beth Steel buildings could easily accommodate 8 mats. Still filled with asbestos and other dangerous metals/chemicals but something could be worked out in time for Easterns.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby RichB » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:37 pm

Actually, 8 mats (32' circle) fit in Stabler, Bing , and Jadwin. Maybe not Palestra or Bucky.

If someone hasn't figured it out, I think this is horrible idea. I like 4 mats day 1 (2 sessions-- 1st session just champ 1, 2nd = Champ round 2 on 2 mats with Consi-1 on 2 mats, then Consi 2 on 4 mats. Then three mats second day with 2 sessions, semis on mats 1+2, Consi on mat 3, then consi sem on all 3. then 3 mats for 3-5-7 then finals. (I can live with 7th the same time as consi semi, and 1-3-5 on 3 mats)
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:48 pm

gimp wrote:
JDALU75 wrote:

So cheaper if NOT bought in advance?

No.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:34 pm

I don't have specific answers to your questions but have reason to believe there were a handful of individual, corporate and university sponsors making Sunday possible. I agree we shouldn't get carried away with hosting Easterns when schools absorb the overhead for that. FYI, there is almost never any significant surplus for the qualifier. Despite the high ticket prices the league is dirt poor, and has been for a long time - the major reason they constantly vote to keep the event out of NY state and New England. The only way PPL is used for this, PSU would have to return to the league, i.e., fuhgeddabowdit
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:34 pm

>>>>>>>>I'm a yes vote for the first several EIWA sessions using 6 mats.

Sixteen teams and full wrestlebacks to 8 places makes for long early sessions.

Lehigh 27-8 over #4 Mich. It's a great time to be a Lehigh's wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

Postby SAM » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:25 pm

RichB wrote:If someone hasn't figured it out, I think this is horrible idea. I like 4 mats day 1 (2 sessions-- 1st session just champ 1, 2nd = Champ round 2 on 2 mats with Consi-1 on 2 mats, then Consi 2 on 4 mats. Then three mats second day with 2 sessions, semis on mats 1+2, Consi on mat 3, then consi sem on all 3. then 3 mats for 3-5-7 then finals. (I can live with 7th the same time as consi semi, and 1-3-5 on 3 mats)

I agree. But with 2 sessions on second day would make it a Friday /Saturday tournament.
SAM
Expert

Postby RichB » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:15 am

Sunday EIWAs, up until this nonsense of reserving gymns for possible playoff basketball games, often were 2 sessions. The reason I favor Saturday-Sunday is, as I have often said, to get more HS fans there Sunday. Yeah, we market this POORLY.* If the season ever goes to April, Fri-Sat might be fine. Hell most of us on the board would not care if it were Sunday-Monday.

Really, 3 Mats all day Sunday, with the evening being simultaneous 1-3-5 means 4 hr AM. then 3 hour PM (including pre 125 and post 285 ceremony) 10-2 then 4-7

*Note by POORLY I am quoting Sir Richard's remark to Indian Jones (in Last Crusade) about the villain choosing the wrong grail and suddenly aging 1000 years.
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:49 pm

>>The goal of Easterns organizers is to get it over with as quickly as possible. Only wrestling masochists attend.

.... Yeah, we should delete the bottom 8 teams (establish a failure to qualify) to speed things up.

.... I'm struggling to imagine how masochists would feel if they slowed it down to make it even longer.

.... Would that somehow make my buns softer ??
WallyCKP
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lehigh