WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

PPL Center

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

PPL Center

Postby SAM » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:52 pm

quote="SAM] I'm afraid that wrestling at the PPL Center will make this a Penn State home match..[/quote]

I was WRONG. I want to congratulate the LEHIGH and PPL staff for making the PPL Center a second home for LEHIGH wrestling.
In fact, it might be great place for hosting the EIWA Championships. My only complaint was paying $7.50 in advance for "free" parking. :cry: :x :x
SAM
Expert

Re: PPL Center

Postby HFO » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:13 pm

I concur on EIWA at PPL and would go as far it should be named permanent site.
HFO
Novice

Postby RichB » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:34 pm

I could certainly see giving it a try the next time the dial points to Stabler. But it needs to be Saturday-Sunday, or better yet in April, although Phantom's playoff Hockey could present a slight problem.
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:46 pm

It was first class all the way. Great day for collegiate wrestling.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby gimp » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:48 pm

RichB wrote:I could certainly see giving it a try the next time the dial points to Stabler. But it needs to be Saturday-Sunday, or better yet in April, although Phantom's playoff Hockey could present a slight problem.

There was an attempt to hold districts there but it seemed too expensive.
That having been said, we need to keep in mind for either districts or EIWAs we aren't likely to be even half filled and in particular for districts I think it would be tough to raise ticket prices high enough to offset costs.

A question for you guys there- did you all see 3 separate fees over and above the ticket cost?
gimp
Expert

Postby JAD77 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:41 pm

Agree that both Lehigh and the PPL did an awesome job. First class production, along with some awesome wrestling.

However, let's be realistic about the EIWA's. That probably doesn't draw more than 2,500 for the finals, if that, and less for the other segments. PPL Center is not a charity - I would bet that renting PPL runs at least $50k a day, plus some hefty extra labor fees. I don't see how it would be economically feasible, unless everyone was willing to pay $500 and up for an all session ticket. Remember, the Penn State match drew almost 10,000 fans for a one day event with tickets starting at over $20 each. The gate was probably over $250k, and I can't imagine that Lehigh made much of a profit.
I could be off with my numbers - all pure guesses, but you get the idea.
JAD77
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:53 pm

I recently posted in favor of a major upgrade to Stabler but now I'm not so sure. When Stabler was built there was no comparable facility in the Valley. If we're only going to use it for one major dual a year and EIWAs once every half dozen years, why not just go with PPL for the major dual? I don't know that we're going to draw 9900 for anyone other than Penn State, but if we can project 5000+ for Iowa or Oklahoma State then it's a viable option.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby dtashjian1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:55 pm

No need to park in LOT next time, at least on a Sunday, there was plenty of on the street parking within a few blocks. PPL was fabulous. Walking around the arena, there were many fathers with young sons, high school kids with wrestling shirts, coaches with high school wrestling shirts. Can't hurt recruiting.
dtashjian1
Novice

Postby RichB » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:23 pm

District 3 moved, for last season and this, the AA+AAA combined individual tournament from Hershey Park Arena to the Giant Center. But speculation is that it will return to the Old Barn for 2019. The problem at Giant is that the Bears OK team will not give up another Saturday Night. This means Saturday they only host the place finals, and maybe the consi semis. And the first round of AAA 16 man bracket (AA is only 12) is held Thursday night.
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:16 pm

>>>>>>JAD--- I certainly hope Lehigh cleared at least as much net revenue from the PPL dual as they would from a sold out Stabler.

PPL involves higher costs, but the ticket and concession revenue from 4,000 more fans is substantial. Also, the site rental is negotiable based on what other options PPL had to generate revenue that day.

They also could have generated add'l revenue by charging on a pay-for-view basis for the internet streaming------I had no problem paying $9.95 for the Lehigh-Princeton dual.

Lehigh 27-8 over #4 Mich. It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

Postby LuLc » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:14 pm

Concessions, parking, and quite possibly % of ticket revenue will stay with PPL Center. This is more typical of agreement when non-primary tenant utilizes facility on one-off basis.
LuLc
Expert

Postby Lehigh74 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:59 pm

It was a first class event. My only beef was the use of the rusted out Bethlehem Steel steel mill behind the word Lehigh on the scoreboard. I don't get it. Couldn't someone find a more approach picture to represent our fine university?
Lehigh74
Veteran

Postby LUEngineer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:01 am

Totally unrealistic to use PPL for Eiwa’s as attendance doesn’t warrant. Penn State match every other year is likely only match except perhaps if we wrestled another top 3 team while we are ranked in top 5.
LUEngineer
Expert

Postby GeorgePorgie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:30 am

The on floor seating was bad for viewing. I sat in the third row, if the elevated mat had been one foot lower it would have been fine. If I ever go there again, Lower reserve was the best seating. The match was great.
GeorgePorgie
Expert

Postby SAM » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:08 am

LUEngineer wrote:Totally unrealistic to use PPL for Eiwa’s as attendance doesn’t warrant. .

Currently, EIWA tickets are $70 and it appears that EIWA is happy with 2500 attendance.
I am curious what revenue is generated for the EIWA, host school and fellow conference schools.
Does the host school absorb all costs? If there is a profit what is the split with EIWA and its member schools.

If EWA was at PPL Center, I would have 4 sessions over two days.
I would recommend 3 tier tickets levels: $60 for 4000 reserved seats/40 for 2000 reserved /$20 for 2000 general admissions area.
I would expand orb all costs the EIWA program advertising to include local hotels and restaurants.
Maybe Lehigh Business School should contact PPL Center to perform a case study on the feasibility of hosting EIWA.

If I had the money, I would be a promoter and have it at Mohegan Sun Arena in Wilkes-Barre.
I would need an operations manager (partner) who would actually coordinate operations of tournament.
I would take advantage of using the newspapers and TV to advertise our tournament for ticket sales and results.
With proper advertising, I bet I could sell at least 5000 seats.

l
SAM
Expert

Next

Return to Lehigh