WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Vegas

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Re: Vegas

Postby Ike-LU » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:54 pm

Spladle88 wrote:Klehner...

If Cornell now considers 4 wrestlers out of 10 weights making it to day 2 at Vegas with only 1 alive in championship flite still, then yes definitely something to write home about....

CKLV isnt the NCAA championships, an unseeded wrestler beating a seeded wrestler is not unusual at all... especially if they are not say 1-4 seed.... after that a lot of seeds arent even ranked and its just a best guess as to who deserves seeds and who doesnt....

I say again I agree with John based on other results from this season but no, not blown away by their results in Vegas

+1

I saw more than a couple people on Cornell's board being less than impressed w/ the Vegas showing so far, so nothing new being said here. Numbers don't lie, like spladle said 4 of 10 only make it to day 2, only 1 of which in the champ bracket yet. YD looks to be the real deal (AA challenger for sure this yr) but might need another year to add some strength to challenge for the national title. Other than him Cornell just really lacks those studs in the current lineup that they've had in years past (Nashon, Gabe Dean, Buto, Polacio, etc.). When you don't have those studs racking up bonus points in every match in a tourney you need a solid performance from all 10 wrestlers, and getting 4 of 10 to day 2 just won't cut it when you're Cornell.
Ike-LU
Expert

Postby klehner » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Ike-LU wrote:

If Cornell now considers 4 wrestlers out of 10 weights making it to day 2 at Vegas with only 1 alive in championship flite still, then yes definitely something to write home about....

CKLV isnt the NCAA championships, an unseeded wrestler beating a seeded wrestler is not unusual at all... especially if they are not say 1-4 seed.... after that a lot of seeds arent even ranked and its just a best guess as to who deserves seeds and who doesnt....

I say again I agree with John based on other results from this season but no, not blown away by their results in Vegas

+1

I saw more than a couple people on Cornell's board being less than impressed w/ the Vegas showing so far, so nothing new being said here. Numbers don't lie, like spladle said 4 of 10 only make it to day 2, only 1 of which in the champ bracket yet. YD looks to be the real deal (AA challenger for sure this yr) but might need another year to add some strength to challenge for the national title. Other than him Cornell just really lacks those studs in the current lineup that they've had in years past (Nashon, Gabe Dean, Buto, Polacio, etc.). When you don't have those studs racking up bonus points in every match in a tourney you need a solid performance from all 10 wrestlers, and getting 4 of 10 to day 2 just won't cut it when you're Cornell.

No Cornell fan, coming into this season, would have expected more given the current set of wrestlers. Six starting seniors graduated, for crying out loud.

If I weren't already there, I'd write home about what a pleasant surprise so far. Then again, I'm not trying to compare this year's squad to those of the past, what's it been, 11 years now?
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby Ike-LU » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:42 pm

klehner wrote:
Ike-LU wrote:

+1

No Cornell fan, coming into this season, would have expected more given the current set of wrestlers. Six starting seniors graduated, for crying out loud.

If I weren't already there, I'd write home about what a pleasant surprise so far. Then again, I'm not trying to compare this year's squad to those of the past, what's it been, 11 years now?

Lehigh lost 5 starting seniors from last year and also have a young team, starting 4-5 fresh/soph. It’s the nature of the game. Granted LU didn’t lose those top billed studs like CU. But we’re seeing now that LU is/was a lot deeper. Young guys picking up where the vets left off last year and not skipping a beat.

Do you think home would write you back with an “LOL” response?
Last edited by Ike-LU on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ike-LU
Expert

Postby klehner » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:44 pm

thewhorehouseisbusy wrote:Yianni has skills but right now he's weak as a kitten. No way he does anything nationally.

Suck it, loser.
klehner
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Spladle88 wrote:Yianni wrestles #3 in country today and previous NCAA finalist Meredith....so we’ll see if twib is correct, if Meredith crushes him ok, but if its close or Yianni wins, then he looks ignorant.... cause theoretically Meredith being 22 or whatever, with more college wrestling experience should manhandle Yianni if he is also much “stronger”....

Yianni wins 4-2 SV1

1st: Yianni, 2-0
2nd: Meredith ride out, 2-0 Yianni
3rd: Meredith ESC and RT point, 2-2.

SV: Yianni TD

Notes: Yianni had TD in the 3rd that was overturned on challenge b/c it was called too early. Meredith’s 2nd period ride was not a grueling one. It was more of a hang on, as Yianni was never really broken down flat. Several restarts and Yianni was close to getting out multiple times.
Last edited by mr_ftl on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby Spladle88 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Yianni = Weak Lol

Now he gets Alber from Northern Iowa he just beat last week (fairly comfortably) in the finals.... too bad would have loved to see Chad Red and Yianni go at it
Last edited by Spladle88 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spladle88
Expert

Postby LU_007 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:48 pm

Super fan klenher to Yianni's rescue. Good thing he has you to protect/defend him...
"I have found that being honest is the best technique I can use. Right up front, tell people what you're trying to accomplish and what you're willing to sacrifice to accomplish it." - Lee Iacocca
LU_007
Novice

Postby klehner » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:54 pm

LU_007 wrote:Super fan klenher to Yianni's rescue. Good thing he has you to protect/defend him...

If that's what you got out of this exchange, well, I have nothing to say.
klehner
Expert

Postby Ike-LU » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:57 pm

klehner wrote:I have nothing to say.

Great news!!
Ike-LU
Expert

Postby LU_007 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:02 pm

klehner wrote:
LU_007 wrote:Super fan klenher to Yianni's rescue. Good thing he has you to protect/defend him...

If that's what you got out of this exchange, well, I have nothing to say.

Not exactly. From your last exchange I gathered you are an easily excitable (somewhat rude) super fan that rushed to the defense of a young man that doesn't need your help.
"I have found that being honest is the best technique I can use. Right up front, tell people what you're trying to accomplish and what you're willing to sacrifice to accomplish it." - Lee Iacocca
LU_007
Novice

Postby seawolf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:31 pm

whorehouse eats his words on a regular basis. Rather than be offended, laugh at him. Feels better.

That said, I've wondered about Yianni's strength versus that top tier. His solid win over Meredith reduces my wonder. Will be very curious about a Heil match ... both great at defending TDs. Yianni being more offense minded.

Cornell team is good .... and remember, Koll predicted 4 AAs for this season. Tall task but the coach himself has set this expectation. If Lehigh is going to win EIWAs, this is the year to do it. I think they have a very very good shot and would call them the clear favorite at this point. But we'll do our best to keep you all nervous!
seawolf
Expert

Postby BP-LU87 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:34 pm

klehner wrote:
thewhorehouseisbusy wrote:Yianni has skills but right now he's weak as a kitten. No way he does anything nationally.

Suck it, loser.

Classy
BP-LU87
Expert

Postby trimanmatfan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:00 pm

John Henning wrote:Reports of Cornell’s demise have been greatly exaggerated!

CU has a very strong squad and will provide a huge challenge to Lehigh when they meet up in January. In Ithaca.

I was optimistic pre-season and probably am more so now. For now, at least, CU is weaker at 157 than I anticipated, and I think Kutler and Preisch's moves upward may well benefit LU in giving the team a good chance of wins against two of CU's better wrestlers. LU wrestlers also looking stronger physically than those of CU imo. I'm thinking 6 or 7 wins:

Cruz v Russo: Cruz.
Parker v Tucker: Tucker is small, Parker big and strong and on a roll. Parker.
Karam v YD: YD.
Schuyler v Furnas: Schuyler's looked pretty good. Toss-up to advantage Schuyler.
Brown v Santoro (not the LU coach): Brown's inconsistent but Santoro didn't show much at CK. Brown.
Walter/Wolf v Chavez: W/W also inconsistent and Chavez looked pretty good in CK. Chavez?
Kutler v Womack: Womack not looking good at 174. Kutler.
Preisch v Dean: Preisch beat Zavatsky who beat Dean 9-5. Preisch.
Honis v Jakobsen/Weiler: Honis.
Wood v Sweany: Wood.
"Give it 5 minutes."
trimanmatfan
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:04 pm

Austin DeSanto from Drexel is destroying #2 Stevan Micic from Michigan, 20-8 at the start of the 3rd.

For those who are not aware, DeSanto is the true frosh who knocked off Spencer Lee in his final PIAA bout.

Final score, 22-10
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:22 pm

I don't know what people were expecting from Cornell, but I was expecting a team with a handful of young talent and lots of gaps. They wrestled in three weak tournaments and the entire team had just seven bouts against Intermat ranked wrestlers coming into this weekend. That's not the 10-man LV contingent, it's the entire roster. Now I think they're a lot better than that, right now.

If anything happens to Mike Russo Cornell's probably going to wind up forfeiting 125. He didn't wrestle at all last year and is making 125 for the first time in three seasons. He easily beat Hayes of UVA (IM 15, AWN 17) in the first round at Vega$, lost in a re-match with Schwarm (who was ranked before Russo beat him in the dual), and then got decked by Tyler Olsen (the record says Olsen was up 3-2 and pinned Russo without a TD or back points, so maybe it was a throw right to the back). I would expect a guy who missed an entire year to be a little sloppy. In the meantime Russo is 7-2, all against Div I wrestlers except against Western Wyoming, and is probably top 15-20, right now.

Tucker has missed two seasons but is 8-3 right now with his three losses by one point or in SV. He beat Townsell (AWN 17), lost to Mueller (IM 7, AWN 6), beat Sykora (IM 16), and lost to Gustafson (IM 12, AWN 16). He's top 15 to 20, right now.

Yianni appears to be the real deal. Remember when we were delighted that Karam had beaten Profaci? Yianni did that yesterday; Sal's AWN 19th. He beat Meredith who's IM 3rd, AWN 3rd. Now he faces Alber (IM 13th, AWN 12th) who he's already beaten. He's a legit contender to win it all. If he doesn't have any strength then he appears not to need it.

Cornell has a whole platoon of 149-pounders so I don't know that Furnas will win out in the end, but he's beaten four of the others in tournaments. In LV he lost to Heilmann (IM 9th, AWN 13th) and Binghamton's Garcia, who's 7-3 coming into this tournament (all against D1). Furnas beat Garcia by a point at the Bearcat.

I don't know that Santoro's Cornell's best 157. I think Galasso will win out, or maybe one of the 149s will move up. But he's 10-4 right now and his two LV losses were to Crone (IM 18th) and Staudenmayer (IM 15th).

Chavez was concentrating on Greco/unable to beat out the core of Cornell's team the past couple of years. He's 9-2 right now, losses are to McFadden (IM 5th, AWN 5th) and White (IM 11th, AWN 10th) by a point. Next up is Valencia (IM 8th, AWN 8th). He hasn't yet beaten anyone ranked other than Bethea, who was ranked at 157 but is up a weight. I think it's safe to say that he's also 15th to 20th right now, and may be closer to 10th.

I thought the move up to 174 might give Womack trouble and that might be happening. He lost to Brucki (IM 16th) and Kistler (2x NCAA D2 A/A), both by a point. I don't know that he's top 10, but he's definitely 15th to 20th.

I think Dean's legit too. He beat Navy's Coleman (IM 17th, AWN 14th) after trailing 2-0 and giving up nearly three minutes riding time. His losses were to Zavatsky (IM 6th, AWN 6th) and Foster (IM 7th, AWN 7th); he beat Foster in the dual. I don't think he should have been ranked as high as 5th, but I think he's top 10.

I don't know that Honis is going to hold off Darmstadt, but he belongs in the rankings and it's just a matter of how high. He lost to #1 Moore by two points, easily beat Purdue's Brunner (IM 15th, AWN 17th), then lost on a rideout to Army senior Rocco Caywood (who decked Darmstadt last year).

Sweany's lost to Kasper (IM 6th, AWN 5th) and Solomon (IM 8th, AWN 8th). He's beaten everyone else. The pin over Stencel was interesting -- looks like Sweany took injury time so Stencel chose bottom to get the escape point, and Sweany decked him. It's too thin a lineup to know where to rank Sweany at this time. He beat Connor Calkins, who's a decent EIWA HWT, so he's in the mix for a good EIWA tournament finish.

So what is that -- seven ranked guys, including one who will challenge for an NCAA title, a returning A/A, and a couple of others who should be in the top 10 right now. Those who aren't top 20 would probably be ranked in the top 33 by the coaches' panel.
Last edited by JDALU75 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lehigh