WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Vegas

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Vegas

Postby John Henning » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:50 pm

Reports of Cornell’s demise have been greatly exaggerated!

CU has a very strong squad and will provide a huge challenge to Lehigh when they meet up in January. In Ithaca.
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." John F Kennedy
John Henning
Expert

Re: Vegas

Postby JDALU75 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:23 pm

They always had a scary roster. It's been a question of getting some of their past recruits onto the mat. Mike Russo, Chaz Tucker, and Jon Jay Chavez had been at Cornell for a combined five years with a combined 0-1 record. Add that to a true frosh and two greyshirt frosh in the starting lineup. If all of those guys wrestle up to their potential it's going to make life difficult for the rest of us.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Not the most talented group but they're scrappy.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby Spladle88 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:33 pm

I agree with John, but if your basing it on Vegas I can’t say that I agree.... Cornell will he good by the time they face Lehigh but their results at Vegas are nothing to write home about.... other than Yianni, and like i’ve said from day one, if he stays healthy, which is always a big if, i see him as a 2 time minimum national champ....wouldnt be shocked at all if he pulls it off this year, and they could bring Vito in second semester and make things reeeeaaaallll interesting....

If you get the chance watch Yianni wrestle, I tell you its a joy to watch, and thats from a Lehigh alum and fan (although I admit I’ve watched Yianni wrestle since he was a 7th grader)....Yianni wrestles with a skill and an obvious love for the sport that as a wrestling fan is hard not to admire....

Meredith vs Yianni tomorrow alone is worth the price of admission to CKLV.....
Spladle88
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:29 am

>>>>>>>>>Most impressive:

OhioSt without Snyder or Nato has 6 in the semis.

Mich has 5 in the semis with Massa in wrestlebacks

The B1G is going to be a battle royale this yr with those two plus psu.

Lehigh 27-8 over #4 Mich. It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:27 am

Yianni has skills but right now he's weak as a kitten. No way he does anything nationally.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby klehner » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:55 am

Spladle88 wrote:I agree with John, but if your basing it on Vegas I can’t say that I agree.... Cornell will he good by the time they face Lehigh but their results at Vegas are nothing to write home about.... other than Yianni, and like i’ve said from day one, if he stays healthy, which is always a big if, i see him as a 2 time minimum national champ....wouldnt be shocked at all if he pulls it off this year, and they could bring Vito in second semester and make things reeeeaaaallll interesting....

If you get the chance watch Yianni wrestle, I tell you its a joy to watch, and thats from a Lehigh alum and fan (although I admit I’ve watched Yianni wrestle since he was a 7th grader)....Yianni wrestles with a skill and an obvious love for the sport that as a wrestling fan is hard not to admire....

Meredith vs Yianni tomorrow alone is worth the price of admission to CKLV.....

125: Unseeded Russo over #7 seed (#15 ranked)
133: Unseeded Tucker loses to #3 seed (#7 ranked) 4-3, beats #8 seed (#16 ranked), loses to #6 seed (#12 ranked) 3-2
141: Yianni. 'nuff said
165: #10 seed Chavez WBF, D, WBF, loses to #2 seed (#5 ranked) 6-2
184: #6 seed Dean loses to #3 seed (#6 ranked) 9-5
197: Unseeded Honis loses to #1 seed (#1 ranked) 5-3, beats #6 seed (#15 ranked) 9-2
285: Unseeded Sweany loses to #3 seed (#6 ranked) 4-0, wins four straight in consolations

Nothing to write home about? Other than the puzzling Womack, I think most Cornell fans would have signed up for these results in a heartbeat. A few upsets over top-20 opponents, a healthy heavyweight, and a very young team that is very likely to improve as time goes on. As good as Vito is, Tucker is a revelation who lost to Vito at the Bearcat in SV. Nothing to sneeze about (as you can see from his nothing-to-write-home-about results above).

With Darmstadt instead of Honis, you have three freshman, three sophs, and four juniors.
Cornell 1980, Parent Lehigh 2020!
klehner
Expert

Postby klehner » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:56 am

thewhorehouseisbusy wrote:Yianni has skills but right now he's weak as a kitten. No way he does anything nationally.

Please don't feed the trolls.
klehner
Expert

Postby LU in the Hub » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:32 am

It's still early. Cornell had some big wins and some disappointing losses, as you'd expect. Womack has always come through in the past, no reason to expect him to have a down season this year. The shockers at Vegas to me were Massa and Lizak losing in the quarters.
LU in the Hub
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:55 am

Please don't feed the trolls? Because I stated a fact that Yanni is weak now I'm a troll? Let's watch how things play out toady then report back.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby LU in NJ » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:16 am

>>>>>>>>> Both Lehigh and cu are fairly young teams this yr, so both should improve as the season progresses.

cu appears to be stronger at duals vs tournaments this year---- beating UNI in a dual but lagging behind them at Vegas. Maybe that changes over the rest of the season, maybe not.

We'll have a much better read on Lehigh as a tournament team after the Scuffle.

Some excellent wrestling on tap today and tomorrow.

Lehigh 27-8 over #4 Mich. It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

Postby Spladle88 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:23 am

Klehner...

If Cornell now considers 4 wrestlers out of 10 weights making it to day 2 at Vegas with only 1 alive in championship flite still, then yes definitely something to write home about....

CKLV isnt the NCAA championships, an unseeded wrestler beating a seeded wrestler is not unusual at all... especially if they are not say 1-4 seed.... after that a lot of seeds arent even ranked and its just a best guess as to who deserves seeds and who doesnt....

I say again I agree with John based on other results from this season but no, not blown away by their results in Vegas
Last edited by Spladle88 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spladle88
Expert

Postby klehner » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:26 am

thewhorehouseisbusy wrote:Please don't feed the trolls? Because I stated a fact that Yanni is weak now I'm a troll? Let's watch how things play out toady then report back.

It's remarkable how such a weak kitten can finish his shots Every.Single.Time.

Give me an example of his weakness. It is that he's too weak to get out from underneath? Is it that he's too weak to do impressive mat returns? Is it that he's too weak to fend off any and every shot taken at him?

On what do you base your "fact"?
klehner
Expert

Postby Spladle88 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:35 am

Yianni wrestles #3 in country today and previous NCAA finalist Meredith....so we’ll see if twib is correct, if Meredith crushes him ok, but if its close or Yianni wins, then he looks ignorant.... cause theoretically Meredith being 22 or whatever, with more college wrestling experience should manhandle Yianni if he is also much “stronger”....
Spladle88
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:10 pm

Come on Meridith I have a lot riding on you.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Next

Return to Lehigh