WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Viva La France

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Viva La France

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:15 am

Lehigh's most accomplished international wrestler Zach Rey, won a gold medal at 125 kg at the Henri Deglane Challenge in France on Friday.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Re: Viva La France

Postby Spladle88 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:53 am

What is the prize money for winning an event like this? It is a professional tournament correct? Does USA wrestling pay travel costs etc? Always wondered how wrestling works in these aspects....
Spladle88
Expert

Postby JM » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:26 am

JM
Expert

Postby BP-LU87 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:38 am

Am I reading this correctly that there were only 2 entered at this weight class? Zac only wrestled one match for gold and no bronze awarded to anyone.
BP-LU87
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:25 pm

thewhorehouseisbusy wrote:Lehigh's most accomplished international wrestler Zach Rey, won a gold medal at 125 kg at the Henri Deglane Challenge in France on Friday.

Wasn’t Bobby Weaver a bit more accomplished on the international scene?
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:25 pm

I'm sure the post meant Lehigh's best today.

Our 3 best in our int'l history have been 1-Weaver (World 2,5; Olympic 1) and a slew of Nat Open medals

Followed by Mark Lieberman '79, who was 3x U.S. Nat. Open 1, Nat AAU 1,2,2,3,3; Pan Am 1, World Cup 1,2, Jr World 4, Univ Nat 4; in the '78 USWF Finals Mark earned OW and the year's Grand Champion Ring by pinning 1976 Olympic Gold John Peterson.

Zach is 3rd as our only World Team member (23rd at World), 4x Pan Am 1; World Cup 2,4. Looks like two survivors at Hwt in DeGlane; the only important thing is that Zach's back out there, after three herniated disks in his back that "hampered" him in this year's World Team Trials. It's incredible that he was able to try out at all.

Besides Rey, we've had a couple of Olympic alternates (Ben Bishop '36; Ed Eichelberger '56), Darryl Burley placed 3rd at Tbilisi). Other Olympic Trials places (total leads all East schools)

1932--3-- Bishop,B
1936--2-- King,T
1936--2-- Scobey,H
1972--4-- Sloand,Bob (in hs at 106)
1976--5-- Lieberman,Ma
1984--3-- Burley,D
1996--6-- Closson,B
1996--2-- Santoro,P
2004--6-- Kutz,J
2004--5-- Trenge,J
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby scribe » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:45 pm

I wonder how much money Zach Rey has. In his pocket right now.
scribe
Expert

Postby Asa Packer » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:22 pm

"I wonder how much money Zach Rey has. In his pocket right now."
I have $67.50. I find most folks don't carry more than $40. Millennials even less so,
My niece went to NYC with $4 in her pockets. I gave her a $20, and was still nervous for her.
Darian Cruz, 2017 NCAA Champion at 125 lbs!!!
Asa Packer
Expert

Postby JM » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:53 pm

BP-LU87 wrote:Am I reading this correctly that there were only 2 entered at this weight class? Zac only wrestled one match for gold and no bronze awarded to anyone.

I knew it; I knew it.
If only I had fattened up a little more, found my Irish passport, made my way to France and entered....
Forever bronze.
JM
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:54 pm

I was in an out-of-town wedding in the late '80s; got measured for a tux here and, like all the other groomsmen, went to the local store to pick mine up. We went as a group and -- surprise! -- the store only accepted cash. Between the four of us we might have had enough cash to cover one tux. Luckily, the groom's father was an older generation guy who always traveled with a few hundred dollars and he was able to float loans to us. Would have been an interesting-looking wedding otherwise.

Ever since I've made sure that I always have a couple hundred in cash when I travel, even when I know I won't need it.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby BP-LU87 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:01 pm

JM wrote:
BP-LU87 wrote:Am I reading this correctly that there were only 2 entered at this weight class? Zac only wrestled one match for gold and no bronze awarded to anyone.

I knew it; I knew it.
If only I had fattened up a little more, found my Irish passport, made my way to France and entered....
Forever bronze.

Silver was basically a participation medal.
BP-LU87
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:26 pm

Asa Packer wrote:"I wonder how much money Zach Rey has. In his pocket right now."
I have $67.50. I find most folks don't carry more than $40. Millennials even less so,
My niece went to NYC with $4 in her pockets. I gave her a $20, and was still nervous for her.

Funny. My wife and I went on a European vacation in the summer of 2005. Budapest-Vienna-Prague, with a 6-hour layover in Amsterdam on our outbound flight. I was consulting at the time and I left the client site (Columbus OH) to meet her in Philly to make our international departure. Landed in AMS early in the AM, took a train into the city centre for lunch and a walk around to stretch our legs prior to the mid-afternoon departure to Budapest. I recall arriving in Budapest, walking over to an ATM and commenting to my wife that I had less than $10 in my wallet from the time I left the client site in Columbus OH.

Prior to that trip, I had about 8 years of have international travel for business without incident. My lesson learned on that trip was to call AMEX prior to departure going forward. We were awakened by a call at about 2am in Budapest from the AMEX fraud prevention group b/c I managed to make charges on my AMEX card in Columbus OH, Philly, Amsterdam, and Budapest within a 24-hour time frame.
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:34 pm

>>>>>>> I believe it Woody Allen that said : 90% of life is showing up.

Lehigh 27-8 over #4 Mich. It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:49 pm

mr_ftl wrote:My lesson learned on that trip was to call AMEX prior to departure going forward. We were awakened by a call at about 2am in Budapest from the AMEX fraud prevention group b/c I managed to make charges on my AMEX card in Columbus OH, Philly, Amsterdam, and Budapest within a 24-hour time frame.

Somewhere along the way I learned this. When my son went to Ireland for a 6-week geology field course after his junior year at JMU I knew enough to call VISA to let them know; the guy I spoke to thanked me for the call and asked the exact dates that he'd be out of the country so they'd know to allow those charges.

I still think it was overkill when MC blocked my charges at a supermarket in New Jersey last month. Two minutes later I started getting phone messages and e-mails asking me if I'd tried to use my card at Stop n' Shop. By then I'd checked out with a different card and was in the parking lot.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby RichB » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:55 pm

I spent 41 days "out west" this summer, mostly at National Park Service Sites, centered around the Eclipse. I spent $408 on camping, all using cash. I actually could have filled out my credit card number to pay at almost all the campgrounds, but it wasn't worth the trouble. Other than that I spent, as a guess $41-82 in cash.
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Next

Return to Lehigh