WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

The Best Lineup

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

The Best Lineup

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:22 am

The best team is beginning to emerge as the season unfolds.

125: Cruz - a master at his craft - just a treat to watch.
133: Parker - outside shot at being a National Champ
141: Karam - huge upside.
149: Schuyler - clearly LU's best at this weight. Don't care if Mele beats him 100x in the room.
157: Brown - solid & dangerous.
165: Wolf - clearly LU's best at this weight. Again, don't care if Walter beats him in the room.
174: Kutler - looks good at this weight. Solid AA.
184: Preisch - very good at this weight but would be even better at 174.
197: Weiler - gives LU the best chance but Jakobson has lots of upside so both are good options.
285: Wood - will be a premier big man for 4 years.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Re: The Best Lineup

Postby JAD77 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:35 am

Agreed, though I lean towards Jake at 197.
JAD77
Expert

Postby Spladle88 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 am

The problem with the in the room thing is obviously they wrestle against each other so much that they know each others strengths and weaknesses to a tee. If you don't wrestle GFW all the time you have trouble figuring out his "style" no matter how much tape you watch. Wolf versus Massa would have been interesting, could have gotten ugly fast or just been a complete shootout (although in my opinion even then Massa wins comfortably, I think he wins it all this year). Maybe they wrestled Walter because they thought he had a better chance of keeping it to a 3 point match, which he was doing well till the injury, maybe they didn't want to give Massa any experience with wrestling GFW, who knows? Both good wrestlers but I agree right now GFW looks the better wrestler (and that is not a knock on Walter who would be a solid starter for most teams).

The Schuyler vs. Mele matchup is harder for me to figure. Mele's defensive wrestling looks to be his biggest weakness, and Schuyler tends to be attacking more than most, maybe Mele knows his moves and that helps his defense? Either way both quality wrestlers who will win more than they will lose (obviously), but I agree that to me Schuyler seems to have higher upside.

Jakobsen looks good once its mat wrestling time, haven't seen enough of Weiler up at 197 to judge either way.

As I've written previously Brown looks very good except against the long guys like Shomers, unfortunately there are quite a few of them out there.

So pretty much in agreement with everything written by Senior Whorehouse, highly unusual.

Edit: Funny I did mean to type Senor Whorehouse originally.... my apologies lol
Last edited by Spladle88 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spladle88
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:59 am

Senor to you. Instantly recognizable people like myself can't mingle with the common herd. Fame is a curse, Spladle. Pray you never attain it.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby Toast » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:01 am

I agree with TWHIB. Schuyler and Wolfman. Wooooooooooooooo!
Toast
Veteran

Postby RichB » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:18 pm

OK while were second guessing, and using hindsight and all, on Sunday, in a situation where we win if we don't give up 19 points in the last 5 bouts, Longo was the way to go. Same kind of conditioning as Wolf. A little bigger than Walters (who is technically the best of the three). I think because he doesn't throw every possible move like GFW, Drew would have kept it close with Massa. Of course, he was not even weighed in.
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:06 pm

>>>>>>>>>>whorehouse redeems his odd post about Cruz-bad optics-Boro with a well done best-lineup post.

I've never known Lehigh to play the 'protect the rankings game'-------- Darian didn't look 100% vs Mich ( neither, imo, did Preisch), but he wrestled a strong 1st period and then went on Cruz control ( pun intended).

Nothing to be gained by wrestling Cruz vs Boro when he wasn't 100%----- same with Preisch.

Good coaches recruit/build/develop teams with quality depth and then use the depth for excellent overall results------ which Santoro and crew did in spades vs Boro and Mich.

I'm on board with whorehouse's best lineup, but I think 149/165/197 will be unsettled until the Scuffle

2017 NCAA champ Darian Cruz. It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

Postby JAD77 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Heard Cruz was sick, still feeling the effects Sunday. Preisch I'm not sure, though I agree with a poster who said he looked a little pale.

Still can't believe how good that match was!!
JAD77
Expert

Postby LUEngineer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:31 pm

Agree with original post except not enough visibility of Weiler vs Jacobson at this point. Not sure why Weiler didn’t go yesterday given that the match was win & could have given each a weekend match in front of home crowd? Scuffle will help sort that one out.
LUEngineer
Expert

Postby Spladle88 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:35 pm

RichB I wasn't second guessing or using hindsight just trying to think thru thoughts coaches may have had or reasons for their decisions....seems like it all worked out pretty well to me other than Walter and you can't predict injury.....
Spladle88
Expert

Postby John Henning » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Karam is perfect for 141. Once he fills out, he’ll be a title contender. Will end up being better than RCruz.
Schuyler’s performance shocked me. I had no idea he was as hard nosed as that.
Something very compelling will have to happen to have me believe GFW should not be the guy at 165.
PSU and SS will be key, buy as of right now—-let ‘me All stay up.

May sound silly but the biggest challenge now is taking things one event at a time.
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." John F Kennedy
John Henning
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:44 pm

Karam's in AWN's rankings for the first time this week.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby JAD77 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:51 pm

LUEngineer wrote:Agree with original post except not enough visibility of Weiler vs Jacobson at this point. Not sure why Weiler didn’t go yesterday given that the match was win & could have given each a weekend match in front of home crowd? Scuffle will help sort that one out.

I've come around to Jake. That incredible length of his makes the cradle a possibility every time he is on top of someone - even from referees position. Gotta love his upside. He'll take his losses for sure, but I think he'll continue to improve. He impressed me this weekend.
JAD77
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:16 pm

"No matter how many times he beats him in the room"

.... How many of us are not familiar that in-season dual and tourney results are the leading criteria coaching criteria, not practice room bouts? It occurred in 2002 when Teddy Dufresne, a good guy and very good wrestler, lost out in Dec. to Warren Stout despite winning virtually all their w-off bouts. Stout became EIWA 2 and got a WBF as part of the pin largesse at the Albany NCAAs.
Last year, Cole Walter won a late w-off by a hair but they'd have continued w-offs had Cole not looked better vs. open competition
No matter what month they decide, they'll be looking at all bouts. So we should, too.

I wonder how many more Top 10 W's Kutler and Preisch need to convince some of you that they know, not us, where they'll be more comfortable. In the recent interview, Pat said "when in doubt caught between weights, going up is usually the best decision."
Makes sense, after JK's last March and Ryan's 3rd pd issues. Taking in fuel is usually the best way to win in the 3rd period.It helped Cruz last NCAA
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby trimanmatfan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:11 pm

Here's my best guess:

125: D3
133: LU Engineer
141; LUchico
149: Mr_fti
157: Mountain Hawk
165: LU in NJ
174: Wally
184: Legger
197: JH
285: Whale

The guy who comes out with the sprayer and paper towels to clean the blood off the mat: Scribe.
"Give it 5 minutes."
trimanmatfan
Expert

Next

Return to Lehigh