WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Lehigh Penn State

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Re: Lehigh Penn State

Postby JDALU75 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:59 pm

weh wrote:So it made no sense to go down with a 40 lb disadvantage

Wayne, this won't pass the eye test, but Nevills outweighed Wood by just 12 pounds.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby SAM » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:37 pm

scribe wrote:Lehigh is getting a little too close to Cael for his comfort. I would expect him to drop Lehigh from his dual schedule next year. Bad for his eastern recruiting profile.

I understand that one of Cael's benefactors won't let him drop LEHIGH.
SAM
Expert

Postby John Henning » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:25 pm

I sat with a big PSU fan prior to the meet at Allentown Breworks. He stated that Cael *insisted* on having Lehiogh on the schedule when he took over. So I think any remarks to the contrary are purely speculative and have no basis in truth or fact.

Cael gets 95% of the top PA talent while Lehigh is making the most of hungry kids who are willing to put in the work. The new weight program is obvious and if it continues, LU will always be a top 10 team.
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." John F Kennedy
John Henning
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:40 pm

>>>>>>>>>>>>Wood was close to escaping several times vs. a guy known for his riding ability------we'll See if they change the strategory in the future as that rivalry will continue.

Cael recruits well in PA, but their lineup is 50% or more from outside the state------CA, Colorado, Tx, Minn, NJ and Illinois in yesterday's match. psu isn't winning NCAA titles with just PA guys.

Lehigh 27-8 over #4 Mich. It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

Postby HFO » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:41 pm

What Lehigh starter lives farthest from Grace Hall and whom lives the closest? By town and miles. Cael is loving this. 10,000 in PA other BJC, now getting Pitt to this level. These 3 schools could own PA recruiting. The reason Carl left IA State and lack of depth in Iowa recruiting.
HFO
Novice

Postby mr_ftl » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:12 pm

John Henning wrote:... The new weight program is obvious and if it continues, LU will always be a top 10 team.

My memory may be mistaken, but I think you ripped me a new one for suggesting that Lehigh should never be outside the top 15. “What should the bar be” thread after nationals last year when a certain few suggested that Santoro should be let go (queue Brad Wilson)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61836&hilit=+Expectations#p205877
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby trimanmatfan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:30 pm

The test for me will continue to be how LU does against its most comparable upper echelon competitor, CU. If LU again loses to CU - in what should be a "down" year for CU and an "up" year for LU, I will be a very disgruntled camper.
"Give it 5 minutes."
trimanmatfan
Expert

Postby John Henning » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:32 pm

Mr_ftl: Why bring this up? Do you agree or disagree with what I posted?
If we have to rehash every post that was ever made, well, that makes for bad feelings. Positions change. Principles remain.
Or are you that eager to be validated? I can’t remember that long ago and don’t care to.
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." John F Kennedy
John Henning
Expert

Postby RichB » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:34 pm

HFO wrote:What Lehigh starter lives farthest from Grace Hall and whom lives the closest? By town and miles. Cael is loving this. 10,000 in PA other BJC, now getting Pitt to this level. These 3 schools could own PA recruiting. The reason Carl left IA State and lack of depth in Iowa recruiting.

Most distant guy who has wrestled in other than opens is Price (Michigan) then Brown and Walters, under 3 hours.

Correction. Burkett meets my criteria. Chestnut Ridge is probably 45 minutes farther than Hanover or Milton, not Michigan of course.

I haven't checked this year, But I checked last season, And LU was regularly matting more Pennsylvanians, than not only PSU, but Pitt, and the 4 Psac D1 programs (Bloom etc). Didn't check the other 4 Penn, Drexel, F+M, Buck.
Last edited by RichB on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby gimp » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:37 pm

HFO wrote:What Lehigh starter lives farthest from Grace Hall and whom lives the closest? By town and miles. Cael is loving this. 10,000 in PA other BJC, now getting Pitt to this level. These 3 schools could own PA recruiting. The reason Carl left IA State and lack of depth in Iowa recruiting.

I think we'd have to get the specific addresses to see what part of Allentown Cruz lives in and what part of Bath Karam lives in.

Now- as a non-starter- Moran shows Bethlehem but wrestles for Northampton. I'm guessing that puts him just north of the airport.
gimp
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:53 pm

>>>>>>>>>Cael made his mark at IowaSt by recruiting nationally------he had no choice since IowaSt will always be second fiddle to Iowa unless the Iowa coaches really drop the ball.

He carried over the national recruiting to psu and obviously also landed some elite PA guys -----although some of the PA recruits (Altons) had mixed results.

I'd like to see Lehigh do more national recruiting----------results will vary, but the payoff with a Hamlin or Hatchett is well worth it.

I can't think of any top program that gets it done without out-of-state guys.

For the record, I include NJ as " in-state" for Lehigh recruiting purposes: I'm biased, it's close, and the two best wrestlers in Lehigh history were Jersey boys.

LU in NJ
Expert

Postby weh » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:01 pm

JDALU75 wrote:
weh wrote:So it made no sense to go down with a 40 lb disadvantage

Wayne, this won't pass the eye test, but Nevills outweighed Wood by just 12 pounds.

My bad if you are correct (probably are); I thought the webcast announcers said 40 lbs (40 looked about right to me), but I still thought it was a bad choice at the time - Wood did get to his feet but I did not think he was close to getting out - if he had something else to go w/ the stand-up like a Granby it may have worked.
Automatically taking down is not always the best choice, especially when the opponents best position is top.
weh
Expert

Postby gimp » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:04 pm

Not sure if Steve said something earlier but I read the weights from the sheets- 265.x 253.y
gimp
Expert

Postby RichB » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:40 pm

LU in NJ wrote:>>>>>>>>>Cael made his mark at IowaSt by recruiting nationally------he had no choice since IowaSt will always be second fiddle to Iowa unless the Iowa coaches really drop the ball.

He carried over the national recruiting to psu and obviously also landed some elite PA guys -----although some of the PA recruits (Altons) had mixed results.

I'd like to see Lehigh do more national recruiting----------results will vary, but the payoff with a Hamlin or Hatchett is well worth it.

I can't think of any top program that gets it done without out-of-state guys.

For the record, I include NJ as " in-state" for Lehigh recruiting purposes: I'm biased, it's close, and the two best wrestlers in Lehigh history were Jersey boys.

While I would like to think National recruiting is great - And it certainly is a key part of the Softball, Mens and Women's BktB, and some other LU sports, Fact is there is a lot of non-success there for wrestling.

I would say LOCAL is eastern half Pa, NJ, NY east of I-81 south of I-90, Del, Md east of Frederick. Intermediate= the rest of Pa, NY, Md, All of New England, Va, WVa, Ohio, Most of Mich. Distant, the rest of the world. Distant AA's Hatchett, Fleckman, Wessel, Ruppel, Toth-Fejel, Hutch, not many more over the last 50 years. A lot of busts (many cause of injury).

I know there were at least 2 Strobel years, wherein we could have fielded 10 guys from 10 different states, in 10 weights (no one going up by more than one weight). And these guys all seemed to have credible credentials- probably all at least state placewinners in credible states. Just sad that so few worked out.
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby LUEngineer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:38 am

Jacobson taking top in 3rd period was a no brainer. He demonstrated no chance of taking his opponent down in the first 2 periods. He pummeled opponent from the top & had a good chance to turn his opponent from the top in the final period. I think it is fine to say that he needs to learn how to get out from bottom but this is a dual winning decision against the top team in the country.

Think Wood made right choice as no reason to think he couldn’t get out.
LUEngineer
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lehigh