WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Lehigh Penn State

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Re: Lehigh Penn State

Postby JDALU75 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:00 pm

scribe wrote:He without a spare tire shall stand up and cast the first stone.

I myself am suffering from Dunlap's Disease.

That's where you look down and realize that your belly's done lapped over your belt.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby LU in the Hub » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:41 pm

Actually, without going back and looking for the post, I believe it was TWIB who accused Ryan Preisch of having love handles at 184, not Jordan Kutler, and not a spare tire.

So, if know it all was trying to echo a previous comment, he got that wrong along with the 10 or 15 other things. Speaking of getting things wrong, after his Yanni D comments, remind me not to ask TWIB for any stock market tips...
LU in the Hub
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:03 am

>>>>>>>>>Fred Dunlap had a disease named after him------- who knew?

Coach Whitehead I could understand, but I recall Dunlap being somewhat svelte by football coaching standards.

Is it odd that I can remember the names of Lehigh coaches and wrestling lineups from decades ago but not one freaking thing from freshman chemistry.

On a side note, kudos to Lehigh and psu for a showcase wrestling event and Lehigh wrestling fans for packing the house.

Lehigh 27-8 over #4 Mich. It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:22 am

LU in NJ wrote:Is it odd that I can remember the names of Lehigh coaches and wrestling lineups from decades ago but not one freaking thing from freshman chemistry.

I used to tell people that I never forgot anything unimportant. These days I forget everything; that's why I take notes.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby Legger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:38 am

**** What were we talking about?
"Integrity is doing the right thing, even if no one is looking."
Legger
Expert

Really good stuff

Postby John Henning » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:04 am

First of, to the 6 who lost yesterday -- every guy wrestled hard. Ian Brown,especially, presented himself very well. Schuyler didn't back down, Brown didn't back down, Kutler, Preisch, Jakobsen and Wood -- ALL wrestled hard.

There is a difference between watching tape of a guy and being on the mat with them. Kutler, IMO, needed to be more active. Hall is too well-positioned to think you are going to catch him off balance. The guys who beat Hall, go after him. A one TD strategy against Hall IMO won't work. And it didn't yesterday. Preisch gave too much respect to Nickal. If you don't think you can go under Nickal with a leg attack, then it's going to be hard to beat him. To my eyes Cassar was a very athletic 197 and maybe under ranked. Wood wrestled a really good Hwt and from my seat thought he had the TD. Was surprised they didn't throw the brick since there was nothing to lose in the last bout.

After Parker I thought we might beat them. Did anyone else notice how loose the team was during warm-ups? That was encouraging. Lehigh is a really powerfully built team up and down the line up; something that was lacking just a few short years ago. Losing to PSU even with 2 starters out is no joke. LU proved they belong with the big boys this year. Cael was very complimentary in his post match remarks. This was probably their closest score since their last dual loss. Amazing atmosphere where Lehigh fans dispelled the thinking that PSU would out draw us. I pegged it at 80-20 in favor of Lehigh.

A great day in our history and perhaps a harbinger of things to come in March.
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." John F Kennedy
John Henning
Expert

Postby scribe » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:49 am

Lehigh is getting a little too close to Cael for his comfort. I would expect him to drop Lehigh from his dual schedule next year. Bad for his eastern recruiting profile.
scribe
Expert

Postby Lu92 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:16 pm

I have to agree with JH. I think our guys wrestled hard. Brown was overmatched (Nolf is something special), but he kept going hard. Didn't allow himself to get caught which it seemed Nolf as looking for. I thought Jake might have it - match was closer to than the score. He went for broke toward the end and it didn't work.

Kutler and Preisch now know they can take both the returning champs. Tentative a little, but I would expect different strategies next meeting. Wood continued to fight, like he did against Coon. Those three matches turn out differently with either more time or more mat space as all were close to getting the needed takedown in the third.

I'm not sure how many more people are going down against Karam or Jake. They are brutal riders.

Very proud of Lehigh wrestling and the effort they have shown.
Lu92
Novice

Postby GeorgePorgie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:48 pm

Helluva match. Exciting from start to finish. Penn State is not used to teams coming that close. They probably enjoyed the challenge, considering most teams wouldn't come that close. The raised mat was just about 2 feet too high to comfortably view the proceedings from my seat. However, while I certainly would have preferred winning, we were literally one takedown away from beating them, and even though they were missing two starters, giving a team with 4 returning national champs in the lineup that much of a fight is something to be proud of. If nothing else, it proved that the Michigan victory was not a fluke. I agree with Kutler being a bit too tentative, I think he beats Hall next time, and Preisch has to wrestle HIS match to beat Nickel, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. I liked it.
GeorgePorgie
Expert

Postby LUchico » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:03 pm

John Henning wrote:First of, to the 6 who lost yesterday -- every guy wrestled hard. Ian Brown,especially, presented himself very well. Schuyler didn't back down, Brown didn't back down, Kutler, Preisch, Jakobsen and Wood -- ALL wrestled hard.

There is a difference between watching tape of a guy and being on the mat with them. Kutler, IMO, needed to be more active. Hall is too well-positioned to think you are going to catch him off balance. The guys who beat Hall, go after him. A one TD strategy against Hall IMO won't work. And it didn't yesterday. Preisch gave too much respect to Nickal. If you don't think you can go under Nickal with a leg attack, then it's going to be hard to beat him. To my eyes Cassar was a very athletic 197 and maybe under ranked. Wood wrestled a really good Hwt and from my seat thought he had the TD. Was surprised they didn't throw the brick since there was nothing to lose in the last bout.

After Parker I thought we might beat them. Did anyone else notice how loose the team was during warm-ups? That was encouraging. Lehigh is a really powerfully built team up and down the line up; something that was lacking just a few short years ago. Losing to PSU even with 2 starters out is no joke. LU proved they belong with the big boys this year. Cael was very complimentary in his post match remarks. This was probably their closest score since their last dual loss. Amazing atmosphere where Lehigh fans dispelled the thinking that PSU would out draw us. I pegged it at 80-20 in favor of Lehigh.
A great day in our history and perhaps a harbinger of things to come in March.

Great post John, there is so much to be proud of with this Lehigh team, throughout the whole lineup. This is a special team and I think there is room for even more improvement as the season goes on.
I think, what some posters are lamenting as negative comments may really reflect disappointment at letting the big prize get away, and that is big point. You don't get many chances to knock off a dynasty team like Penn State and we almost had them. But there are lessons to be learned from that, and in that sense, many of the criticisms are legitimate and perhaps helpful.
Hopefully, this team will continue to improve and not peak to soon or get hit with injuries. But let us all acknowledge, how far they have already come.
On a separate point, I like what I think the coaches are doing with 197 and 165, swapping the guys in and out to take advantage of their specific skills. They'll have to choose when we get close to the EIWA, but in the meantime, I think it's a win-win for all involved.
LUchico
Expert

Postby LuLc » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:30 pm

I remember Dunlap and Whitehead, some of Lafayette's football coaches (Harry Gamble and Neil Putnam), and the names of wrestling spot-starters like Fank Vresics and Chuck Cook.

But was there even a Freshman Chemistry class???

And I remember tons of classic Lehigh duals, (like Mike Brown pinning Cooper from Navy from the defensive position to clinch the Engineers (official name back then) victory over the Middies in a sweaty and raucous Grace Hall.

This Penn State meet right there with the best.

For a really simple perspective,
in losing 23-19, in the last four weights the mountain hawks lost two one-point matches to two National Champs, and one two-point decision to the third ranked wrestler in the country. And Lehigh was matting a sophomore, junior and redshirt freshman in those contests.

A two-point swing in any of those and LU pulls the upset.

Just an incredible effort and performance by a very young, but very talented Lehigh squad!
LuLc
Veteran

Postby RichB » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:54 pm

scribe wrote:Lehigh is getting a little too close to Cael for his comfort. I would expect him to drop Lehigh from his dual schedule next year. Bad for his eastern recruiting profile.

I Think Carl has thought about that, in the past. I think Ira Lubert has a very nice veto pen to stop that idea.
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby weh » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:57 pm

The match was very entertaining, Lehigh almost pulled it off . Lehigh wrestled great, but from my seat (family room coach) blew a great opportunity for the upset. Thru 157 Lehigh wrestled as well as possible. The last 5 bouts not so much. GFW should have tech falled his guy (4X CO state champ does not speak well for CO wrestling) - early on it was obvious Wolf could take him down at will so why roll around so much?
Kutler and Preisch gave Hall and Nickal too much respect and should have thrown caution to the wind in the 3rd period to get a TD. Looked like they were OK w/ a 1 point loss to the National champ.

At 197 Jakobsen would have been better off taking top where he rode the piss out of Cassar especially after seeing that his PSU opponent was so much superior on his feet.

HWT was the worst mistake of all. I knew Nevills was very good on top so I have to think Lehigh knew as much. So it made no sense to go down with a 40 lb disadvantage in the 3rd period especially after almost taking Nevills down in the second period.
weh
Expert

Postby peter1977 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:32 pm

I am a bit stunned by some of the comments here. I went to Lehigh from fall of 73 to spring of 77 so I was fortunate to see some great wrestlers. When I first came to Lehigh I did not know what wrestling was other than the ridiculous professional stuff. It got in my blood fast, and I went to all the home matches. It was good to have several national champs on campus, and a bunch of All Americans. I've gone to watch NCAA's several times and these days I watch every match that is televised. Its great that so many matches are accessible through the internet for fans like me that do not live in the Lehigh Valley.

I watch the NCAA finals every year. The difference between the number 1 and 2 wrestlers is often sizable. For anyone to question Kutler and Preisch on their performance against two returning champs, or to think they should have more aggressive makes me wonder if we were watching the same matches. Hall is one of the premier wrestlers ever, winning 6 high school championships and winning the NCAA tourney his freshman year. Kutler lost 3-2.
Preisch lost 3-2 against Bo Nickal. The same Bo Nickal that beat Gabe Dean last year. I have not seen anyone wrestle well against Bo Nickal except for Myles Martin that one time. And what's this crap about Kutler and Preisch going down a weight class? Seriously get over it. Handles on the sides??? Both of these guys are strong AA candidates.

I have also seen various comments on here about not taking the down position at heavyweight and 197. Both our wrestlers, Jakobsen and Wood, need to learn how to take down position if they plan to AA. Kyle Snyder takes down position and he is not a big heavyweight. Jordan Wood is coming along well. He is a freshman, a tough competitor, and has a bright future. Same with Jakobsen. Both will learn and get better.

Gordon Wolf needs to be more careful when he is riding the top position. He is literally his own worst enemy, but I give him credit for never quitting and he is crazy strong in the 3rd period.

I am not sure why anyone thinks Penn Sate will take Lehigh off the wrestling schedule. Penn Sate has to face Big 10 competition so why would they not want to wrestle Lehigh???

To sum up my viewpoint this is the best Lehigh team in a very long time. I see AA possibilities in 6 weight classes as things stand right now. I am looking forward to great things this year.
peter1977
Veteran

Postby GeorgePorgie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:59 pm

peter1977 wrote:I am a bit stunned by some of the comments here. I went to Lehigh from fall of 73 to spring of 77 so I was fortunate to see some great wrestlers. When I first came to Lehigh I did not know what wrestling was other than the ridiculous professional stuff. It got in my blood fast, and I went to all the home matches. It was good to have several national champs on campus, and a bunch of All Americans. I've gone to watch NCAA's several times and these days I watch every match that is televised. Its great that so many matches are accessible through the internet for fans like me that do not live in the Lehigh Valley.

I watch the NCAA finals every year. The difference between the number 1 and 2 wrestlers is often sizable. For anyone to question Kutler and Preisch on their performance against two returning champs, or to think they should have more aggressive makes me wonder if we were watching the same matches. Hall is one of the premier wrestlers ever, winning 6 high school championships and winning the NCAA tourney his freshman year. Kutler lost 3-2.
Preisch lost 3-2 against Bo Nickal. The same Bo Nickal that beat Gabe Dean last year. I have not seen anyone wrestle well against Bo Nickal except for Myles Martin that one time. And what's this crap about Kutler and Preisch going down a weight class? Seriously get over it. Handles on the sides??? Both of these guys are strong AA candidates.

I have also seen various comments on here about not taking the down position at heavyweight and 197. Both our wrestlers, Jakobsen and Wood, need to learn how to take down position if they plan to AA. Kyle Snyder takes down position and he is not a big heavyweight. Jordan Wood is coming along well. He is a freshman, a tough competitor, and has a bright future. Same with Jakobsen. Both will learn and get better.

Gordon Wolf needs to be more careful when he is riding the top position. He is literally his own worst enemy, but I give him credit for never quitting and he is crazy strong in the 3rd period.

I am not sure why anyone thinks Penn Sate will take Lehigh off the wrestling schedule. Penn Sate has to face Big 10 competition so why would they not want to wrestle Lehigh???

To sum up my viewpoint this is the best Lehigh team in a very long time. I see AA possibilities in 6 weight classes as things stand right now. I am looking forward to great things this year.

I'm not stunned by the comments, I'm desensitized, however I agree with most everything you say. I mentioned Kutler and Preisch only because I think they are capable of beating Hall and Nickal. I don't think that many can say that. And that's much different than the blowouts that Penn State is used to. I was at the match and had a blast. Mostly because those kids are a blast to watch.
GeorgePorgie
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lehigh