WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Joey McKenna

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Re: Joey McKenna

Postby GP » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:33 pm

And unfortunately it's Ohio State. Decision Was down to Lehigh and tOSU. Extremely nice and polite young man so I wish him the best.
GP
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:17 pm

Percent of students who transfer from Stanford: 1%
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby Legger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:48 pm

GP wrote:And unfortunately it's Ohio State. Decision Was down to Lehigh and tOSU. Extremely nice and polite young man so I wish him the best.

**** Would have been nice, but we still have a very good team. He just would have been the icing on the cake.
"Integrity is doing the right thing, even if no one is looking."
Legger
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:36 pm

GP wrote:And unfortunately it's Ohio State. Decision Was down to Lehigh and tOSU. Extremely nice and polite young man so I wish him the best.

Source? I haven't seen any announcements yet. I've been watching TOM, Flo, Intermat, Track, TheMat, tOSU Bucknuts forum, ohiowrestling.net, this forum, among others...
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:49 pm

Most likely Pat Santoro, a close confidante of GP who's the lead donor in LVWC (LVAC) history; we were all together at yesterday's Club golf outing which McKenna attended and had a great time. As Garry did above, I wished Joey luck in person with his eventual decision.
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby LUEngineer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:26 pm

Wonder if Joey knows that Ohio State has no wrestling fans like Stanford. Hard to believe he would pass up continued Buxton support & Lehigh Wrestling legacy close to home for easier family viewing. Clearly this also wasn't an academic decision since Lehigh tops Ohio State in reputation when it comes to Wall Street & business world post wrestling.
LUEngineer
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Interesting that, aside from the indications above, this news has not been announced anywhere.
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby Mountain Hawk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Ok with MH. We have a pretty good group lined up at 141. Without any inside knowledge MH is thinking thst Mr McKenna either a) has an even better relationship at OSU or more likely b) wanted the big school experience and all the campus stuff that comes with it plus a chance to wrestle for a team title. Lehigh aint that. Thats OK. We're all good in the Valley with our 141 situation. Best of luck Mr McKenna
Mountain Hawk
Expert

Postby Legger » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:14 pm

mr_ftl wrote:Interesting that, aside from the indications above, this news has not been announced anywhere.

**** I too have been checking and checking all of the wrestling sites and NOTHING. I guess it was a private conversation from Joey to Pat as a courtesy heads up. Evidently there has not been any official announcement. Do we still dare to hope? Probably not, but it would put the icing on a really, really good team.
"Integrity is doing the right thing, even if no one is looking."
Legger
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:24 pm

I'm in the same camp, Legs. Holding out hope - never over 'til it's over. I would think the Buckeye fans would be squawking about this if they were in the know.
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby KTG » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:21 pm

LUEngineer wrote:Wonder if Joey knows that Ohio State has no wrestling fans like Stanford. Hard to believe he would pass up continued Buxton support & Lehigh Wrestling legacy close to home for easier family viewing. Clearly this also wasn't an academic decision since Lehigh tops Ohio State in reputation when it comes to Wall Street & business world post wrestling.

maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but are you saying tOSU wrestling doesn't get good crowds? ('no fans')
KTG
Veteran

Postby WallyCKP » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Clearly a tongue-in-cheek remark, since OSU draws 10x the crowds that Stanford does. Some are missing the key part of the equation, since McKenna's top goal is to be a World or Olympic champion, more so than NCAA team or individual champ. Traveling to Colo Springs for workouts is far tougher than phoning Columbus resident, Logan Stieber, already a World champion, same size as Joey, no less. And he can go to grad school to polish off his academic resume.
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby KTG » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:37 am

WallyCKP wrote:Clearly a tongue-in-cheek remark, since OSU draws 10x the crowds that Stanford does. Some are missing the key part of the equation, since McKenna's top goal is to be a World or Olympic champion, more so than NCAA team or individual champ. Traveling to Colo Springs for workouts is far tougher than phoning Columbus resident, Logan Stieber, already a World champion, same size as Joey, no less. And he can go to grad school to polish off his academic resume.

that makes sense. At Stanford he did have Jamill Kelly as an assistant coach and I think that was part of the draw there in the 1st place.
KTG
Veteran

Postby LUEngineer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:11 am

With Pat Santoro & Jeff Buxton I would say that Lehigh offers just as much opportunity to achieve Olympic & World Team potential as Logan Steiner. Lehigh Wrestling fan base is deep rooted while Ohio State's is fleeting. The close to home factor for family support one would have thought more important as well. Disappointing for sure since Karam appears to be a year or so away from being a potent force at 141.
LUEngineer
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:13 pm

LUEngineer wrote:With Pat Santoro & Jeff Buxton I would say that Lehigh offers just as much opportunity to achieve Olympic & World Team potential as Logan Steiner. Lehigh Wrestling fan base is deep rooted while Ohio State's is fleeting. The close to home factor for family support one would have thought more important as well. Disappointing for sure since Karam appears to be a year or so away from being a potent force at 141.

If tOSU comes to fruition, it's not about coaching. It's about workout partners. With Stieber, McKenna would have an opportunity to roll with a similarly sized world champ on a daily basis.
mr_ftl
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lehigh