WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Quiet Crowd at Stabler

Sponsored by Allen Brown

Moderators: Allen Brown, Bruce, GAH

Quiet Crowd at Stabler

Postby NJDan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:10 pm

I was at the Penn State-Lehigh match last night. It was a good event, with about 5500 in attendance, but I was struck by the docility of the Lehigh crowd. They could have held a study hall in some of the matches. The Lehigh student section was particularly quiet-- and this was even during the close matches. When a Lehigh kid won, there was applause at the end, but not much during the match. Often the Penn State fans made more noise than the Lehigh's. Odd since I always thought that Lehigh was a wrestling hotbed

What's up with that?
NJDan
Expert

Re: Quiet Crowd at Stabler

Postby JJH » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:48 pm

You've just hit on one of the reasons many Lehigh fans don't like Stabler. No concentration of energy. It's always been that way.

Also, the Engineers were out of the dual meet before the meet began, and everyone there knew it. So what energy there was came from the blue and white. JJH
JJH
Expert

Postby D3 for LU » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:12 pm

Yeah...including some loud mouth leading that DREADFUL ""WE ARE!" (nit crowd response >>>) "PENN STATE!!!"

just like Yosemite Sam saying in similar fashion :twisted: ooooooh how i hate that! :twisted:

D3
Last edited by D3 for LU on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby LUEngineer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Stabler is a great place for wrestling when there is a decent competitive match and typically is very noisy but last night was hardly the night to be noisy when you lose 6 of the first 7 bouts and aren't really competitive. So what was there to get the crowd fired up after Dinnien win until Hamlin took to the mat. Then Kennedy and Rey bouts were yawners as well.

So this was a stupid comment in my opinion as the outcome of the dual was known very early in the evening. Typically we have had some of the best upsets in Stabler in front of good raucus crowds. This just wasn't one of those nights to celebrate.
LUEngineer
Expert

Postby JAD77 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:18 pm

There is some truth to the fact that losing the early bouts deflates the crowd, and that Stabler can be somewhat of a sterile environment. However, as the Lehigh crowd gets older (and I include myself in that), there is less and less crowd noise. Sorry, but I'm just stating the obvious.
JAD77
Veteran

Postby CJC » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:23 am

D3 for LU wrote:Yeah...including some loud mouth leading that DREADFUL ""WE ARE!" (nit crowd response >>>) "PENN STATE!!!"

just link Yosemite Sam saying in similar fashion :twisted: ooooooh how i hate that! :twisted:

D3

..blah, blah, blah.
CJC
Expert

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

Postby D3 for LU » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:06 pm

Go on and "blah, blah, blah" me all you like CJ, as is your right.
Doesn't make me"love" hearing it (in our house, even :twisted: ) any more...as is my right to do so as well. :P
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby LUEngineer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:45 pm

JAD77 must not have been at the last match at Stabler against Cornell if he thinks that place doesn't rock!! Lehigh fans know when to rock the house and there was a sense of defeat early in the PSU match when Beckman was defeated with no offense. Any hope of a Lehigh win went away with that bout and crowd rebounded with much energy with Dinnien upset. Then the downhill slide where fans wanted to crawl under their seats until Hamlin revival.

In my opinion there is much more energy at Stabler than Grace because of the bigger crowds not too mention a much more comfortable seating situation. Watch the flowrestling halftime report by Mark Bader if you want a real perspective on Stabler energy!!
LUEngineer
Expert

Re: blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

Postby CJC » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:27 pm

D3 for LU wrote:Go on and "blah, blah, blah" me all you like CJ, as is your right.
Doesn't make me"love" hearing it (in our house, even :twisted: ) any more...as is my right to do so as well. :P
D3

..WE ARE PENN STATE!
CJC
Expert

Postby Mountain Hawk » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:36 pm

OK, we're getting way over the line....and off topic as well. So all posts after this are deleted, and the thread is locked. JJH

John Harmon
Mountain Hawk
Expert

Return to Lehigh