WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

COLIN KILRAIN..

Sponsored by Allen Brown

Moderators: Allen Brown, Bruce, GAH

COLIN KILRAIN..

Postby halfnelson7 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:55 pm

In light of the daring HIT on Bin Laden, let us not forget our own Navy SEAL,...and outstanding wrestler. Continued good health, and success in your covert activity. We are PROUD of you!

http://nittanyliongrappling.org/ckilrain.html
halfnelson7
Veteran

Re: COLIN KILRAIN..

Postby pitbulljim » Mon May 09, 2011 7:14 am

Thanks half. Good stuff. Reminded me of a lot of things- like the Banach brothers, the great love of wrestling in the middle eastern countries,& the great career of the one & only Thad Turner at P'burg & Lehigh. Kilrain is a winner- always mentioned in discussions of best never to win an NCAA title. Bin Laden cast a dark shadow over the Moslem community, and his demise can only help to restore order. Thanks to Kilrain & his great new team.
pitbulljim
Expert

Postby EngineerLehigh » Mon May 09, 2011 9:31 am

With all shakeup happening at DOD and CIA, Colin should be in line for a promotion. It's been a long-time since I have been to Little Creek, but Colin is doing a great job with the even number teams. Non-existent Team 6 is under different leadership, Special Warfare Group.

Strong ties of Team 6 to Pennsylvania. Dick Marcinko, from up in coal boonies of Lansford, PA, was first leader. Don't know if Dick wrestled at Farragut Academy? Class of 1958.
EngineerLehigh
Expert

Postby D3 for LU » Mon May 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Nice article of one of my favorite Lehigh wrestlers. 8)
I notice that in the start of the article, Navy SEAL, Colin Kilrain is mentioned as a Naval Commodore for his SEAL group.
Has he made the one star rank?
I read somewhere that US Navy done away with that rank, and went back to Rear Admiral(lower half) designation.
Whats up with that? :?
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby joe gratto » Tue May 10, 2011 12:06 am

Commodore as a one-star rank is gone; commodore as a fact remains. A Navy Captain who has operational authority over other commanding officers is often called a Commodore. Those who have had such authority are usually addressed as Commodore ever after, unless they screwed up or became admirals or both,The "title" of Commodore continues to be used in the U.S. Navy for those senior Captains in command of organizations consisting of groups of ships or submarines organized into squadrons, air wings or air groups of aviation squadrons other than carrier air wings, special warfare (SEAL) groups, and construction battalion (SeaBee) regiments. Although not Flag Officers, modern day Commodores in the U.S. Navy rate a blue and white command pennant that is normally flown at their headquarters facilities ashore or from ships they are embarked aboard
joe gratto
Novice

Postby D3 for LU » Tue May 10, 2011 12:46 pm

tanxs, Mr. Gratto, for clearing that up. 8)
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby essayons » Tue May 10, 2011 3:09 pm

...a very timely and well written article from the Penn State wrestling site about an outstanding wrestler and person..

...I hope this is just one of many wrestlers who will be interviewed and their stories told...

...a very important statement concerning the probability of hard work and dedication producing exceptional results...
essayons
Expert

Postby JAD77 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:26 pm

EngineerLehigh wrote:With all shakeup happening at DOD and CIA, Colin should be in line for a promotion. It's been a long-time since I have been to Little Creek, but Colin is doing a great job with the even number teams. Non-existent Team 6 is under different leadership, Special Warfare Group.

Should we call you Nostrodomus?!

"Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates announced May 11 that the President has made the following nominations:
Navy Captain Colin J. Kilrain has been nominated for appointment to the rank of rear admiral (lower half). Kilrain is currently serving as the director, combating terrorism, National Security Council, Washington, D.C. "
JAD77
Veteran

Postby pitbulljim » Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Bravo!
pitbulljim
Expert

Postby SAM » Wed May 11, 2011 9:53 pm

EngineerLehigh wrote:. but Colin is doing a great job with the even number teams. Non-existent Team 6 is under different leadership, Special Warfare Group.

Colin was the Commander of Naval Special Warfare Group Two (COMNAVSPECWARGRU TWO). Per the March edition of the NAVY SNDL, it shows that SPECWARGRU TWO is the parent command for SEAL Team Six Before anyone claims that I am releasing any "national secrets", the SNDL is an unclassified document and is available on the internet.
SAM
Expert

Postby EngineerLehigh » Thu May 12, 2011 7:11 am

I believe what you read, but find it inaccurate.

Meant to write Naval Special Warfare Development Group (DEVGRU). Detachment 6 is the only team not reporting to Group Two which is my understanding that Colin was not their direct report.

It is my understanding that Naval Special Warfare Command has 5 direct reports, Groups 1 through 4 and Group 5 (Reserves).
Group 2 (Little Creek and Germany) consists of even teams, 2,4,8,10 and Unit 2 in Germany, plus a training detachment and logistics and support unit. It is my understanding this was Colin's last assignment until now being assinged to NSC.

DEVGRU (Dam Neck Annex, VA) only has development and Team 6. It's linear report is not to Naval Special Warfare Command, but to Joint Special Operations Command, operationally.
Just like 1st SFOD-D, they are both Tier 1, black elements, not gray ops which have a typical military chain of command. Tier 1 have a direct report to Joint Special Operations Command, Sec. of Defense, Joint Chiefs and President because of the types of assignments that require direct Presidential authority.

Post retirement, many former Team 6 and Force Recon Marines, now US Marine Special Operations Group (2500 strong) join the NCS-SAD-SOG team. Typically, very few AF or former Army on that team, 90 from Dept of Navy. 8)

Colin's path likely post NSC assignmnent could be Naval Special Warfare Command. then possibly JSOC where McRaven and Olson have served and possibly then to SOCOM. As Olson and McRaven are the only Seal 3 and 4 stars and both slated to retire by 2015, Colin now that he is a 1 star has a shot to advance quickly, but there will be plenty of competition for 2 star in special operations community from all 4 branches.

Top notch guy. Very happy for Rear Admiral (lower half) Kilrain.
EngineerLehigh
Expert

Return to Lehigh