WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Rubbing elbows with LEGENDS

Sponsored by Allen Brown

Moderators: Allen Brown, Bruce, GAH

Re: Rubbing elbows with LEGENDS

Postby Allen Brown » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:11 am

^^^I remember Curt Callahan was an very good high school wrestler out of Pittsburgh and solid, multi-time ACC champ for the Univ of Maryland. Callahan, after his college wrestling career was over, as youns all know, concentrated on Greco, was high on the USA Greco ladder, was an asst coach for the Univ of Maryland, worked for Campbell's Soup back a couple decades ago, then went up the ladder at the Univ of MD and I think became facilities director or something big. Callahan was built like a fire-hydrant - stocky and muscular.

Anyway, back when UMD wrestled in Cole Field House and had their wrestling room down at ground level in Cole, some of us used to go over to the UMD wrestlingroom in the evenings to work out. We had the combination to the punch lock on the wrestling-room door (or if fogotten, you rattled the lock, until it opened). Anyway, one evening Callahan was in there with no one to work out with, and I had the opportunity of getting launched repeatedly by Callahan for about a half hour. Afterwards Callahan apparently was trying to think of something positive to say to me, so he remarked something about my having a good "initial" reaction to try to stay off my back.
Allen Brown

Postby halfnelson7 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:25 pm

yo ALLEN....yea, CURT is facilities director for COLE FIELDHOUSE, and doing well. He and i had some good times at JACKSON VALLEY, and at the NCAA tournaments when they were held at MD.

Could you line me up up with some good sites for listing NCAA champs / brackets, etc,....and website for EASTERN champs / brackets, ...as well?

THANKS

1/2
halfnelson7
Veteran

Postby Allen Brown » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:43 pm

^^^The most incredible, thorough, remarkable, amazing recordations of old college and high school stats are the NCAA Wrestling Guides, which used to be listed - late 1920's into 1980's - on the history section on the Hall of Fame site. The old NCAA Wrestling Guides are loaded with amateur wrestling info. Try this Link -

http://www.wrestlinghalloffame.org/

And surf into the "Museum" then "Libraries" section.
Allen Brown

Postby weh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:04 pm

halfnelson7 wrote:yo ALLEN....yea, CURT is facilities director for COLE FIELDHOUSE, and doing well. He and i had some good times at JACKSON VALLEY, and at the NCAA tournaments when they were held at MD.

Could you line me up up with some good sites for listing NCAA champs / brackets, etc,....and website for EASTERN champs / brackets, ...as well?

THANKS

1/2

For NCAA, EIWA, Big 10, and Big 12 Brackets etc go to Boomer's site at http://www.wrestlingstats.com/
weh
Expert

Postby halfnelson7 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:40 pm

anyone.....I recall sitting in JADWIN at what must have been an NCAA regional qualifier, although i don't know WHY since i thought the EASTERNS were the qualifier. Can somebody clear this up..? In the finals STEVE SHIELDS beat ANDY MATTER, the only time i can recall his doing so,.....and WADE SCHALLES pinned CLYDE FRANTZ. Was Wade an accomplished star yet, or was this pin his COMING OUT party?
halfnelson7
Veteran

Postby Allen Brown » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:06 pm

^^^That was 1971 at Jadwin, and was the regional/district qualifier. Frantz (very smoth wrestler out of Hughesville, PA, compeing for PSU) reportedly made the remark at the head table, before putting on his anklet, "This won't take long." In the first period Frantz took a single-leg shot on Schalles, but brought his trailing leg up too close and, as I recall, Schalles hooked up a cradle through the trailing leg and put Frantz on his back. We PSAC fans were up in the stands going crazy! Clarion head coach Bob Bubb was laying flat on the mat, trying to see the fall better and yelling at the ref, and I think Neil Turner also was in Wade's corner, but I can't picture what Neil was doing. Anyway, finally the official slapped the mat and it was over. Wade had this way of simply being incredible.

I understand that Wade Schalles, while still on the mat and shaking hands with Frantz did remark something to the effect, "Right - that didn't take long." -Stove Pipe

P.S. As I recall, Wade didn't place that 1971 season at the NCAA's, losing to kid from Ohio U in quarters then Ohio kid lost, and Wade was out. Wade, who first matriculated at East Stroudsburg, was under NCAA rules that he got to compete in NCAA three times, and 1971 was his first time. Then Wade was NCAA OW in 1972 and repeated NCAA title in 1973. In 1974, not able to compete again in NCAA tournament, Wade made statement in PSAC's by pinning Shorty Hitchcok, who then won the NCAA College Div tournament and was OW at the big NCAA Tournament. Wade was definately fun to watch and fabulous.
Allen Brown

Postby gimp » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:46 pm

What we remember from that Schalles-Frantz match was that Wade described exactly what AB said happened before the match and said he would pin him with it.

He did.

With the Hitchcock pin, he moved up 2 weights to do it (158-177).
gimp
Expert

Postby EngineerLehigh » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:45 am

Allen Brown wrote:^^^That was 1971 at Jadwin, and was the regional/district qualifier. Frantz (very smoth wrestler out of Hughesville, PA, compeing for PSU) reportedly made the remark at the head table, before putting on his anklet, "This won't take long." In the first period Frantz took a single-leg shot on Schalles, but brought his trailing leg up too close and, as I recall, Schalles hooked up a cradle through the trailing leg and put Frantz on his back. We PSAC fans were up in the stands going crazy! Clarion head coach Bob Bubb was laying flat on the mat, trying to see the fall better and yelling at the ref, and I think Neil Turner also was in Wade's corner, but I can't picture what Neil was doing. Anyway, finally the official slapped the mat and it was over. Wade had this way of simply being incredible.

I understand that Wade Schalles, while still on the mat and shaking hands with Frantz did remark something to the effect, "Right - that didn't take long." -Stove Pipe

P.S. As I recall, Wade didn't place that 1971 season at the NCAA's, losing to kid from Ohio U in quarters then Ohio kid lost, and Wade was out. Wade, who first matriculated at East Stroudsburg, was under NCAA rules that he got to compete in NCAA three times, and 1971 was his first time. Then Wade was NCAA OW in 1972 and repeated NCAA title in 1973. In 1974, not able to compete again in NCAA tournament, Wade made statement in PSAC's by pinning Shorty Hitchcok, who then won the NCAA College Div tournament and was OW at the big NCAA Tournament. Wade was definately fun to watch and fabulous.

As I am not as old as some others on the board, I was not aware of Wade's 1974 year. Now that's impressive, he beats the NCAA OW at PSAC up 2 weights. Too bad VHS and digital cameras didn't exist over Wade Schalles's career. I am sure there is some old Super 8 out there somewhere.
EngineerLehigh
Expert

Postby CDK » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:22 am

halfnelson7 - The 1971 Regional Qualifier at Princeton was a one-time event used to determine NCAA qualifiers. Prior to '71 the NCAA tourney was open; in '72 the conference tourneys became the qualifier. I can't find brackets from the '71 qualifier but I recall some interesting finalists including Larry Rippey (Lock Haven) v Schmidt (West Chester). Al Ray Johnson (West Chester, 142) was also a finalist. This is totally from memory. Surely someone out there will have accurate info.
CDK
Veteran

Postby Allen Brown » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:10 am

^^^The 1971 Princeton qualifier is listed on pg 20-21 of the 1972 NCAA Guide. You may use the "Hall of Fame" LINK that I posted above in this string to get into the NCAA Guide section. Youns remember that the results for the 1971 season would be published in the 1972 Guide, which was the way the NCAA listed info/year. -Allen

^^^Here (from the 1972 NCAA Guide) are the top 5 (five qualified from each weight) from the 1971 Princeton qualifier, which was the NCAA “District 2” tournament –

118 Schuler/Navy; Baltezore/Army; Brown/Buffalo; Fiore/Temple; Guketlov/NYU
126 Mason/Navy; Surenian/Lehigh; McArdle/Army; Parker/LH; Murdock/Clarion
134 Rippey/LH; Schmidt/WC; Balum/PSU; Waters/Lehigh; James/Army
142 Keaser/Navy; Johnson/WC; Brodmerkle/LH; Cook/Cal; Duncan/Hof
150 Gillespie/WC; Campbell/Lehigh; Stone/PSU; Rovoire/Buck; Pavelka/Cornell
158 Schalles/Clarion; Frantz/PSU; Bacastow/Lehigh; Sattler/Navy; DeMeno/WC
167 Shields/Lehigh; Matter/PSU; Stauffer/Hofstra; Kuhn/Pitt; Simpson/Clarion
177 Christie/Lehigh; Jones/Navy; Ritacco/Army; Jones/Laf; Cramer/Getty
190 Paolano/Syra; Baker/Temple; Hutchinson/Lehigh; Madden/Prin/Hohmann/NYU
Hwt Joyner/PSU; Gardner/WC; Dressel/Prin; Morgan/Army; Jacques/NYU

I apologize for any spelling or recordation errors I made above. There are tons of interesting wrestlers and stories in the 50 guys listed. John Henning was close to Gillespie, who wrestled for West Chester at 150 that season (I think Gillespie’s from LI), and became an NCAA AA for the WC Golden Rams. I recall being amazed during the tournament at Gillespie’s incredible knee-pick take-downs.

Yes, Larry Rippey, a two-time PIAA champ, who gained NCAA AA in 1971, edged the muscular Schmidt at 134. Youns know Larry Rippey passed away about 8-10 years ago. Dale Murdock, who placed fifth at 126 in the event, is the son of the famous Waynesburg College coach Buckly Murdock. We have the best sport on the Planet. –Stove Pipe
Allen Brown

Postby Whale » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:15 pm

I love this "old timers" thread. Keep it going.
Whale
Novice

Postby Allen Brown » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:31 pm

WHALE, One of my Lehigh all-time favorites (among many) was KIRK PENDLETON. Pendleton would beat just about every one he wrestled and pin half of 'em. I know you all know this stuff, but I'll post it anyway. Kirk Pendleton is from Bryn Athyn, and was one of the EIWA's best ever. Kirk was a three-time NCAA finalist. Pendleton was second in the 1961 NCAA's at 157, losing 3-0 to Oklahoma State's veteran grappler Phil Kinyon. Kinyon was very tough and had given Doug Blubaugh all Doug could handle in their battle for the 160.5 pound spot on the 1960 Olympic freestyle team. Blubaugh won the spot and, rest is history, won the Gold at Rome.

Pendleton moved down to 147 pounds for the 1962 NCAA Tournament, but fell victim to Mike Natvig of Army, who had a fabulous crabride. Mr. Pendleton had beaten Natvig 11-4 two weeks earlier in the EIWA finals at 157. Lehigh dominated the 1962 EIWA Tournament, winning six weights. I think Rex Peery's Pitt Panthers were second, but far behind the Engineers.

The 1963 season was the ticket for Pendleton. He went 157 at the NCAA's (his fighting weight) and defeated Kinyon in the finals! In the mid-1990's Kirk Pendleton noted to Larry Nugent (Nugent Productions), who talked with Kirk Pendleton about his fabulous wrestling career, and Mr. Pendleton noted that he was beating Kinyon (which probably suprised Kinyon) late in the match, and with about 30 seconds or less remaining, they went out of bounds. Mr. Pendleton said that, as they went back to the center of the mat, Kinyon said someting complimentary to him like, "Congratulations Champ."

Kirk Pendleton finished his Lehigh wrestling career 64-2 with 33 pins. -Stove Pipe
Allen Brown

Postby essayons » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:05 am

...just a question...

...if Phil Kinyon was Oklahoma State's "veteran grappler" in 1961 when he beat Kirk in the NCAA's and they wrestled 2 years later in 1963 wouldn't that mean they were BOTH sophomores in 1961???...

...or was it a different Kinyon...

...jes wunderin'...
essayons
Expert

Postby Allen Brown » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:01 am

^^^I think Kinyon was in the service before college.
Allen Brown

Postby John Henning » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:41 am

^^^Here (from the 1972 NCAA Guide) are the top 5 (five qualified from each weight) from the 1971 Princeton qualifier, which was the NCAA “District 2” tournament –

118 Schuler/Navy; Baltezore/Army; Brown/Buffalo; Fiore/Temple; Guketlov/NYU
126 Mason/Navy; Surenian/Lehigh; McArdle/Army; Parker/LH; Murdock/Clarion
134 Rippey/LH; Schmidt/WC; Balum/PSU; Waters/Lehigh; James/Army
142 Keaser/Navy; Johnson/WC; Brodmerkle/LH; Cook/Cal; Duncan/Hof
150 Gillespie/WC; Campbell/Lehigh; Stone/PSU; Rovoire/Buck; Pavelka/Cornell
158 Schalles/Clarion; Frantz/PSU; Bacastow/Lehigh; Sattler/Navy; DeMeno/WC
167 Shields/Lehigh; Matter/PSU; Stauffer/Hofstra; Kuhn/Pitt; Simpson/Clarion
177 Christie/Lehigh; Jones/Navy; Ritacco/Army; Jones/Laf; Cramer/Getty
190 Paolano/Syra; Baker/Temple; Hutchinson/Lehigh; Madden/Prin/Hohmann/NYU
Hwt Joyner/PSU; Gardner/WC; Dressel/Prin; Morgan/Army; Jacques/NYU

###### This was Thad Turner's first year as head coach at Lehigh, inheriting this group from Leeman/Caruso. Navy and PSU were ahead of lehigh during the year and at EIWAs, but at this tournament, Lehigh dominated; with 4 finalists and 2 champs placing a total of 7 . The fact no team scoring was kept was incredible, actually unheard of.....can anyone name another tournament where that occurred? I can't. Anyway, Lehigh won that tournament going away and then placed 7th at ther NCAAs with Surenian 3rd, Shileds 2nd and Hutchinson 6th. It was also a big night for the PSAC as they had 6 finalists and 3 champs....West Chester also had 4 finalists, 1 champ and 5 total placers. PSU had 3 finalists, 1 champ and 5 total placers....Navy had 4 finalists, 3 champs, 5 total placers. I estimate the top five teams as: Lehigh, Navy, West Chester, Penn State, and Clarion (1 champ and 3 total placers.)
"Any boy can throw his hat into the ring and be a champion." Billy Sheridan Lehigh coach 1912-1952 (222-86-8)
John Henning
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lehigh