WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Weight Certifications

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Re: Weight Certifications

Postby John Henning » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:05 pm

I am not a fan of the true frosh red shirt if they are the best guy for the spot. Of course there are exceptions, but the best should start. Who knows if they will ever have the opportunity to start again....see Drew Longo. Weiler seemed slender to me last year for 184 so I hope he fills out some (at 184) to be as effective as possible. Jakobsen probably has the inside track at 197, but who knows. Some guys are just better in college than they showed in high school....see Ryan Preisch. Maybe Lacombe is a guy like that and maybe not. Too soon to tell. While we have 4 stud weights and a high-touted 285, the other 5 weights are in play, albeit with high quality but as LU in NJ said "untested." Karam/Pomrinca, Schuyler/Lane, Walter/Brown/Longo, Weiler/Gentile/Price, Jakobsen/Murray/Lacombe is a depth chart that should produce competitive wrestlers. Iron sharpens iron. I tend to agree with LU in NJ that these 5 weights will do alright as the season goes on. Our balance is "untested" but our fire power is not -- big NCAA pts return plus Kutler.

Some interesting ranking matches at 141, 149, 157, 184 and 197. Anyone care to make predictions on who will emerge?
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." John F Kennedy
John Henning
Expert

Postby Legger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:37 pm

John Henning wrote:I am not a fan of the true frosh red shirt if they are the best guy for the spot. Of course there are exceptions, but the best should start. Who knows if they will ever have the opportunity to start again....see Drew Longo. Weiler seemed slender to me last year for 184 so I hope he fills out some (at 184) to be as effective as possible. Jakobsen probably has the inside track at 197, but who knows. Some guys are just better in college than they showed in high school....see Ryan Preisch. Maybe Lacombe is a guy like that and maybe not. Too soon to tell. While we have 4 stud weights and a high-touted 285, the other 5 weights are in play, albeit with high quality but as LU in NJ said "untested." Karam/Pomrinca, Schuyler/Lane, Walter/Brown/Longo, Weiler/Gentile/Price, Jakobsen/Murray/Lacombe is a depth chart that should produce competitive wrestlers. Iron sharpens iron. I tend to agree with LU in NJ that these 5 weights will do alright as the season goes on. Our balance is "untested" but our fire power is not -- big NCAA pts return plus Kutler.

Some interesting ranking matches at 141, 149, 157, 184 and 197. Anyone care to make predictions on who will emerge?

**** Interesting. 141: Pomrinca keeps it close with a lot of ranked guys but I think Karam has a higher upside but he needs to get better on his feet. 149: First question is can Lane make 149? Schuyler is explosive and dangerous but has been muscled at times. Hoffman is supposed to be good but know knows where he will come into camp, but he is a True Frosh. 157: is probably the most interesting with Walter, Brown, Longo and Wolfman. First I think Wolfman is too big boned to hold the weight. Longo is extremely scrappy and will not back down but I think his ceiling has been reached. I think it will come down to Walter or Brown. Walter is scrappy and has a fairly high ceiling but is very short. Brown is explosive but has had trouble with really good technique guys in the past. 184: Like John said Weiler is/was slim last year but has all the potential in the world. If he can put on more muscle/power without outgrowing the weight class, I would say he is the man at 184. 197: If Brad, Hamlin and Zabrinski have been able to increase Jake's ability on his feet then he should be the man.
"Integrity is doing the right thing, even if no one is looking."
Legger
Expert

Postby LUchico » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:49 pm

John Henning wrote:Some interesting ranking matches at 141, 149, 157, 184 and 197. Anyone care to make predictions on who will emerge?

Why not?

141 Pomrinca I'm from NJ I guess.
149 Schuyler Guessing Lane can't make the weight effectively. If so I'd call it a toss-up
157 Brown Just guessing he can make it. Walter if Brown can't
184 Weiler That's been the plan for this year
197 Jacobsen Haven't seen much of him yet, but Lacombe being relatively new to the sport makes me think he's a year or two off and I have no idea who else might emerge.
LUchico
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:02 pm

We often have surprises where guys show up two weights from expectation. With that caveat --

141: Karam cert'd at 133 last year and competed there at Midlands, where he beat 2x A/A Earl Hall. His problem at 141 was lack of size. Pomrinca went 20-6 last year, won three open tournaments, and seems determined to start somewhere in the lineup. Either way we should be fine.

149: Schuyler cert'd at 141. Went 14-4, won two opens, all at 149 except for 157 at the Army dual. He's 31-9 with 10 falls in two years. If he's bulked up to 149 he should be fine. Lane cert'd at 149 but competed all year at 157, so I agree he may have problems holding 149. He won some good bouts at 157, including a pin over Paul Fox.

157: Could be wrong but I doubt Wolf sees 157 again. Longo was a pretty big kid last time I saw him too. I wouldn't rule Drew out -- he looks like he can find a flaw in an opponent's game and exploit it. I heard it noted at EIWAs that Walter had "speed skater's thighs" at 165 which was definitely true. He looks better sized for 157 if he can make the cut comfortably. Brown's another guy who cert'd at one weight but spent the whole season at another; as we know there was a reason for it. I think it's Walter's weight if he can make the cut; he won a lot of big bouts.

184: Weiler was inconsistent last year but it's useful to remember that he missed his entire senior season in high school and was moving up from 170 to 184. He went 24-7 (17 bonus) and all of his losses were to quality opponents. I'd write his name into the lineup in ink.

197: Jakobsen moved up in weight, concentrated on one sport for the first time, and dealt with minor injuries. He beat 2x NJ state champ and IM #50 recruit Kevin Mulligan in the final bout of the year; Mulligan, a deferring Rutgers freshman, went 28-8 on the season. I think Jake takes the weight.
"In free societies, whenever rules and regulations, because of changing times, are in conflict with principles, it is the principles that need be conserved, and the conflicting rules and regulations summarily discarded." - John J. Karakash
JDALU75
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:38 pm

>>So I was excited to hear the whorehouse guy talk about rumors of Lacombe at 197.

.... Get excited all you want but the whorehouse has clearly kept him pre-occupied and clueless.

.... I spoke to Victor at the picnic but I'm saving the choice story for Friday's LUWrestlingNews.

.... We've got Jake and Murray at 197, with Andrew Price available if needed; he looked like a good-sized 184 compared to my 190
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby know it all » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:36 pm

LOG JAM !!!!
What a great problem to have.
know it all
Veteran

Postby WallyCKP » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Ahh, it's that time of the year when online reporting supplants matside analysis. :D

First time I met Weiler last Sept I almost gasped, quickly learning his days as a possible 174 were, well, flat out impossible from Day 1. Immediate impression was that he's definitely out largest 184 pounder since Travis Frick (who did manage to return from low 200's back to 174, so it seems Chris is bigger). Slender? Yep, his hips and waistline are incredibly trim, which is a good thing since he cuts to 84 with the rest of his chiseled body (huge shoulders) relatively larger than most rivals (ok, so Gravina didn't think so).

Untested Weiler's not, big enough to hammer 2x NY champ Parker (Princeton), 15-5; big enough to hammer CMU's #16 seed then #11 jr Ellingwood, 11-5 at Midlands - who was 2016 MAC champ by beating 2x A/A Miklus (MO) and NCAA 4 Dechow (ODU). The latter's 1 of the few who could stay with Gabe Dean at NCAAs (twice). Weiler also beat Ness, 2-yr NC starter who had beaten Nye (VA) who seemed big at 197 easily handling Bolich at the 2016 Scuffle.

IMHO, Longo, Brown, Walter have been tested plenty, with all 3 having multiple wins vs ranked guys, plus very good Scuffles; but none have passed their post-season tests yet. Sr, jr, soph in eligibility, there's a wide range of upsides depending on what tomorrow brings.

As a historian and fan, I never conclude anyone has hit their peak yet - not after Denny Reid in 1980 entered his ONLY NCAAs as senior with a 29-27-1 W/L mark. Then went 5-2 to become 1 of our 6 A/As, incl beating the #4 seed.

Gotta' love tomorrow, since it's the only day that matters, one day at a time
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:09 pm

WallyCKP wrote:Reid

It's REED!
"In free societies, whenever rules and regulations, because of changing times, are in conflict with principles, it is the principles that need be conserved, and the conflicting rules and regulations summarily discarded." - John J. Karakash
JDALU75
Expert

Postby John Henning » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Wally: What in the blue hell are you talking about? You spend almost your entire missive disputing my characterization of "he seemed slender to me" --- pretty mild stuff. Come nationals, one cannot be strong enough. Again, I repeat there is a big difference between placing 3rd in the EIWAs and placing at NCAAs.
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." John F Kennedy
John Henning
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:17 am

>>>>>>>>>The historians with a better memory than mine may add to the list, but I believe there have been at least a few Lehigh AAs that never made an EIWA finals----------certainly Dufresne (who never even made a NJ finals)and I believe Kennedy would be on the list.

Also, there are guys who've been EIWA champs but become AAs in years when they did not make the EIWA finals------NBrown comes to mind and I'm sure there are others.

Just adding a little fuel for debate/comment.

2017 NCAA champ Darian Cruz. It's a great time to e a Lehigh wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:18 am

LU in NJ wrote:Also, there are guys who've been EIWA champs but become AAs in years when they did not make the EIWA finals------NBrown comes to mind and I'm sure there are others.

Just recently: Joe Kennedy in 2012, Dr. Robert Hamlin in 2013, Darian Cruz in 2014, Mitch Minotti in 2015, Randy Cruz and Nate Brown in 2016 -- it's more common than we think.

Other EIWA teams: David Terao in 2016; Richard Durso, Brian Realbuto, Anthony Perrotti, and Ophir Bernstein in 2014; Mike Nevinger in 2013; Steven Keith and Ganbayar Sanjaa in 2012.

Helps to peak at the right time.
JDALU75
Expert

Postby LU in NJ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:36 am

>>>>>>>>Thx for the list.

Definitely helps to peak at the right time--------and an EIWA 3rd isn't too shabby a finish.

In fact, imo, any level of EIWA hardware is a significant accomplishment

2017 NCAA champ Darian Cruz. It's a great time to be a Lehigh wrestling fan.
LU in NJ
Expert

Previous

Return to Lehigh