WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Nov. 12 Journeyman Classic

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Nov. 12 Journeyman Classic

Postby WallyCKP » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:08 pm

For those in love with this new format, last year's LUWrestlingNews on the night of Nov. 8 did not yet have the individual pairings for publication -- five days before the Journeyman on Nov. 13,2016.
In a message dated 9/12/2017 11:06:10 A.M, joh508@lehigh.edu writes:

We wrestle on Nov. 12 in the round robin format.
--------------------------
WallyCKP
Expert

Re: Nov. 12 Journeyman Classic

Postby gimp » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:32 pm

WallyCKP wrote:For those in love with this new format, last year's LUWrestlingNews on the night of Nov. 8 did not yet have the individual pairings for publication -- five days before the Journeyman on Nov. 13,2016.
In a message dated 9/12/2017 11:06:10 A.M, joh508@lehigh.edu writes:

We wrestle on Nov. 12 in the round robin format.
--------------------------

Why would you?
gimp
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 pm

Why would we know match-ups earlier than four days before? Why not??

How do you promote wrestling without matchups? NCAA pairings have been released more than a week ahead, vs. the prior 3-4 days.

Color me confused, which is a euphemism.
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby mr_ftl » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:41 pm

WallyCKP wrote:Why would we know match-ups earlier than four days before? Why not??

How do you promote wrestling without matchups? NCAA pairings have been released more than a week ahead, vs. the prior 3-4 days.

The field is set for NCAA nearly two weeks prior. Hardly the case for an event two weeks into the season. The round robin format is much better, as it (in most cases) pairs wrestlers of similar ability levels.
mr_ftl
Expert

Postby gimp » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 pm

WallyCKP wrote:Why would we know match-ups earlier than four days before? Why not??

Do you have any idea how many changes were occurring in the days and weeks prior to the event? With a Round Robin type of event- 1 or 2 changes regarding drops, adds changes a variety of pools. If one kid drops out of a 125 pool, you might move someone from another pool over, then another one moves to fill that hole, etc. Then maybe the team that dropped one adds someone at another weight and you go through it all over again there. And in doing all this you need to ask the coaches which pools these kids should be in. I like the idea, as far as pitting like talent against each other but it was a bear for Frank setting it up. I'm trying to think up an online registration method to make it easier for everyone.
gimp
Expert

Postby WallyCKP » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:08 pm

Well, I'm aware of the hurdles - but all that just leaves me disinterested in investing my time and money to attend

I'll go with Flo this year and save my energies for Duals and tourneys

I was quite disappointed in the number of top bouts involving Lehigh last year. It's much easier to prote a dual wig, say NC State
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby mh1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:14 pm

="WallyCKP"

I'll go with Flo this year and save my energies for Duals and tourneys

Wally as a subscriber to Flo the last couple years and knowing your history with the old ticker you may want to rethink that strategy
mh1
Expert

Postby know it all » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Be careful with FLO once they have your credit card information it is all but impossible to stop them from charging it. You are stuck until you cancel your card. Its a shame that they operate the way they do. Hurts wrestling. Was hoping track wrestling would be a better option for the well needed competition but they go some negatives also.

But the Journeymen Classic will be great with top shelf completion competing against each other as they should. Early test help produce March results.
Lehigh grapplers will do fine and the fans will figure out who is who. And yes Wally you will do fine getting the information for the subscribers to the newsletter. Waiting for your first letter of the new year.
know it all
Veteran

Postby WallyCKP » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:09 pm

I've sent Flo $150/yr several years running without a thought about canceling.

The number of bouts available is worth ten trips to Troy. I hope there are enough good bouts this year to make me regret no going, but at age 69 the 13 hrs roundtrip is the bigger threat to my ticker.

I was 23 when I drove Gimp and 3 others to Auburn, AL, 38 hrs roundtrip. From 1976-84 I routinely drove wrestlers to Midlands (only 20 roundtrip).

But as the song goes, that was yesterday and yesterday's gone.
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby JAD77 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:52 pm

WallyCKP wrote: that was yesterday and yesterday's gone.

True dat!
JAD77
Expert

Return to Lehigh