WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Nick Suriano

Moderators: Bruce, GAH

Re: Nick Suriano

Postby D3 for LU » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:52 am

Everyone a lil' sleepy at this time? :wink:
I'll wake this topic again... I saw this and figured on giving you all a chance to read this.
Check it out:https://www.roarlionsroar.com/penn-state-wrestling/2017/07/2452/flo-wrestling-nick-suriano-transfer-rutgers-kurt-mchenry
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby Spladle88 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:57 am

On a note connecting this somewhat to Lehigh, I've read two different articles that tie Suriano situation to McKenna situation.

Both articles seem to imply that Suriano coming or going from Penn State will determine where McKenna ends up, if Suriano stays at Penn State nothing changes and he chooses between his three favorites on an even level (OSU,PSU,Lehigh), but if Suriano were to transfer to Rutgers then that opens up money for Penn State to really go after him (thus upgrading from their current projected 141 starter Cortez) and more importantly makes Ohio State want him more to have a legitimate shot to unseat Penn State this year (not really sure that's possible).

Rumors sure, but made interesting reading and to some degree made sense.
Spladle88
Expert

Postby LUchico » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:37 am

Spladle88 wrote:On a note connecting this somewhat to Lehigh, I've read two different articles that tie Suriano situation to McKenna situation.

Both articles seem to imply that Suriano coming or going from Penn State will determine where McKenna ends up, if Suriano stays at Penn State nothing changes and he chooses between his three favorites on an even level (OSU,PSU,Lehigh), but if Suriano were to transfer to Rutgers then that opens up money for Penn State to really go after him (thus upgrading from their current projected 141 starter Cortez) and more importantly makes Ohio State want him more to have a legitimate shot to unseat Penn State this year (not really sure that's possible).

Rumors sure, but made interesting reading and to some degree made sense.

Spladle, do you have a link to those two articles, or if not, did they have a ring of legitimacy to them?
When rumors hang around too long one begins to wonder where there's smoke is there fire?
Also, it seems that McKenna staying at Stanford is not being mentioned much anymore.
LUchico
Expert

Postby Spladle88 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:50 am

I heard it first during Flowrestling FRL yesterday:

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/12242 ... Wi8sYTyuUk

Then google searching with those two names connected came up on a different article, can't remember the source. As I said rumors, nothing more, but interesting and like I said to some degree makes sense.

Suriano situation is intriguing because I can't see him leaving PSU without them giving him his outright release, if they didn't he would have to forfeit a year of his eligibility and with already having lost the end of last year due to injury that is a steep price to pay for a wrestler of his caliber. Not sure PSU would want to give him his outright release because not sure what they have in the way of a backup 125 this year.
Spladle88
Expert

Postby CJC » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:07 pm

Spladle88 wrote:I heard it first during Flowrestling FRL yesterday:

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/12242 ... Wi8sYTyuUk

Then google searching with those two names connected came up on a different article, can't remember the source. As I said rumors, nothing more, but interesting and like I said to some degree makes sense.

Suriano situation is intriguing because I can't see him leaving PSU without them giving him his outright release, if they didn't he would have to forfeit a year of his eligibility and with already having lost the end of last year due to injury that is a steep price to pay for a wrestler of his caliber. Not sure PSU would want to give him his outright release because not sure what they have in the way of a backup 125 this year.

If he transfers to Rutgers, the Big Ten will mandate a one year athletic ban.

He does have a redshirt available and will have 3 years of eligibility remaining.
CJC
Expert

Postby Nitt Fan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Your understanding of Big Ten transfer rules is flawed. A Redshirt and/or Release doesn't help. He will lose a year of eligibility unless he can get a special circumstance exemption.
Nitt Fan
Novice

Postby TMH » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:07 pm

I think that's a perfect reason why recruits should think twice before signing on with a Big 10 team. Their options become severely limited if things just don't work out. They would be far better off with a very competitive school with good academics and a competitive schedule :-).
If a recruit in the Big 10 gets homesick eg , it would benefit him to look for a non-Big 10 institution that is much closer to home while having everything he needs. There must be one around like that.
If a wrestler is looking to transfer and let's say 2 of his options are in the Big 10 eg Penn State and Ohio State, he would be wise to pick a third option, a high caliber institution with good work out partners in case that too doesn't work out as planned.
Just saying.
TMH
Veteran

Postby WallyCKP » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Minnesota had a stronger case against the Cooperman family when he decided to leave after one semester during his r/s year. UM complained about the cost of losing him but the family hired a lawyer and got his release. Am sure it helped to leave the B1G
WallyCKP
Expert

Postby TMH » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:41 pm

The ACC apparently has the same transfer restrictions as the Big 10.
Micky Phillippi, a 3 X PIAA state champion is transferring from Virginia to Pitt (another apparent case of home sickness) and will forego a year of eligibility.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sports/o ... 8b661.html
TMH
Veteran

Postby JM » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:33 pm

TMH wrote:The ACC apparently has the same transfer restrictions as the Big 10.
Micky Phillippi, a 3 X PIAA state champion is transferring from Virginia to Pitt (another apparent case of home sickness) and will forego a year of eligibility.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sports/o ... 8b661.html

Seems that there is a trail being blazed from Charlottesville to Pittsburgh. First coach Gavin, then assistant coach Leen, now wrestler Phillippi.
JM
Expert

Postby Bkcbrau » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:35 am

Gossip, I know. A friend of a friend with close ties to Rutgers said yesterday ........99%. Flame away!
Bkcbrau
Veteran

Postby JDALU75 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:47 am

Bkcbrau wrote:Gossip, I know. A friend of a friend with close ties to Rutgers said yesterday ........99%. Flame away!

You kidding? On wrestling fora that's as close to an unimpeachable source as we ever get.
"In free societies, whenever rules and regulations, because of changing times, are in conflict with principles, it is the principles that need be conserved, and the conflicting rules and regulations summarily discarded." - John J. Karakash
JDALU75
Expert

Previous

Return to Lehigh