Binghamton Coach Resigns

Moderator: GAH

Binghamton Coach Resigns

Postby JM » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:34 am

From Intermat

Dernlan resigns as Binghamton head wrestling coach

Binghamton University Sports Information
12/14/2017

VESTAL, N.Y. -- Binghamton University Director of Athletics Patrick Elliott announced on Wednesday that Head Wrestling Coach Matt Dernlan has resigned for personal reasons. Dernlan was in his sixth season at the helm of the Bearcats in 2017-18.

"We want to thank Matt for his work on behalf of Binghamton wrestling," Elliott said. "We wish him well in his future pursuits."

Assistant Coach Kyle Borshoff will become the acting head coach, effective immediately.

Binghamton will conduct a national search for a new head coach.
JM
Expert

Re: Binghamton Coach Resigns

Postby JDALU75 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:52 am

That comes as a complete surprise. Thanks for posting, Jamie.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby mm55 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:50 am

seems like a strange time to resign. Normally they get the press a soundbyte with their resignation. Drew Pariano isn't listed as a coach there either. I actually never saw his name listed to so i dont know if its just an omission. I thought he was the guy waiting in the wings to take over.
mm55
Veteran

Postby NY Fan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:45 pm

Huge surprise, and things were just beginning to jell for the team. Dernlan recruited some solid wrestlers from NY and beyond and the team was achieving greater depth. He acquired all three Deprez brothers including young Louie who seems destined to accomplish good things. It looked like some teammates were just about to join Steve Schneider in the rankings.

On the surface Dernlan's departure makes no sense.

I read that Mark Cody was just hired by Presbyterian College to start D-I men's and women's teams. Had he not received that interesting deal, the native Binghamtonian and BU might have been a good fit.
NY Fan
Novice

Return to EIWA