Changes to D1 Wrestling in the Wind

Moderator: GAH

Re: Changes to D1 Wrestling in the Wind

Postby D3 for LU » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:45 am

:wink: As so am I... your winnings, sir. :P
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:39 am

Red Blades wrote:
RichB wrote:The problem with this proposal is, if you don't make the sweet 16, pretty good chance the season is over.

And how is that different from any other sport? :roll:

The difference is that wrestling, more than the other team sports, is an individual effort. Once the basketball conference championships begin the teams don't send their subs home; they're on the team bench and get into games.

With this proposal the open tournaments will end two weeks before qualifying tournaments; that means that the open tournament season will run from (maybe) mid-December to around mid-February. Two weeks later are the qualifiers; two weeks later is the NCAA individual tournament; a week or two later begins the second season of just duals, which lasts maybe four weeks; then begins the team dual championships. So if one of your starters goes down in late April you call on a sub who hasn't competed since mid-February. This can really hurt a team like Cornell, which for the past couple of years has spent much of the season figuring out its best lineup; there won't be time to do that now.

Again, I think this is a great scenario for the power teams; I just think that for everyone else it's going to be a swift downward path to irrelevance.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby JM » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:35 am

I do like the new proposal, particularly the added emphasis on dual meets and the trade-off of competition during just one semester.
JM
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:43 am

JDALU75 wrote:With this proposal the open tournaments will end two weeks before qualifying tournaments; that means that the open tournament season will run from (maybe) mid-December to around mid-February. Two weeks later are the qualifiers; two weeks later is the NCAA individual tournament; a week or two later begins the second season of just duals, which lasts maybe four weeks; then begins the team dual championships.

That's really not how I understand it - the proposal specifically states that the first part of the competition season will feature BOTH open tournaments and duals - not at all different from the current season, but shorter. And the post NCAA duals likely won't be 4 weeks + the championship - not if the NCAA and conference tournaments are still held in March, and then the dual championship is concluded before the end of April. I expect more than likely, there will be a week or two of duals, and then possibly a conference championship weekend prior to the start of the 16 team bracket.

The devil will be in the details, and it will be hard to tell how this plays out until we see a real schedule under this model (or maybe the Committee could draft a mock schedule to demonstrate more clearly how this works?), but I really like the possibilities.
Red Blades
Expert

Postby weh » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Who the heck wants to be in a gym in April. Few will be interested in duals AFTER NCAA individual championships - especially the wrestlers.
If they want to improve duals, get rid of the ridiculous weight restrictions so coaches can bump guys up to get challenging match-ups like occurred with Mike Frick in the 70's.
weh
Expert

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:39 pm

This is the most sensible comment comment I've read on this topic. Bravo WEH.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby Red Blades » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:55 pm

weh wrote:Who the heck wants to be in a gym in April. Few will be interested in duals AFTER NCAA individual championships - especially the wrestlers.

April is perfect for wrestling "up North", WEH - still too much ice on the lakes for rod fishing, but too rotten for ice fishing. :wink:
Red Blades
Expert

Postby weh » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:18 pm

RB?? You live in NJ now and if I remember correctly, trout season opens the first or 2nd weekend of April in NJ.... I remember doing that as a kid, freezing my balls off and if lucky catching a 9-12 inch rainbow or brown trout.
weh
Expert

Postby CJC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:57 pm

weh wrote:RB?? You live in NJ now and if I remember correctly, trout season opens the first or 2nd weekend of April in NJ.... I remember doing that as a kid, freezing my balls off and if lucky catching a 9-12 inch rainbow or brown trout.

Ice fishing is weh better!
CJC
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:48 pm

I always heard that ice fishing was an activity that gave a man an excuse to move little while drinking and smoking, and still provided him with a plausible explanation to his wife that he was doing something worthwhile.
“The immortal gods are wont to allow those persons whom they wish to punish for their guilt sometimes a greater prosperity and longer impunity, in order that they may suffer the more severely from a reverse of circumstances.” - Gaius Julius, aka Caesar
JDALU75
Expert

Postby CJC » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:51 pm

JDALU75 wrote:I always heard that ice fishing was an activity that gave a man an excuse to move little while drinking and smoking, and still provided him with a plausible explanation to his wife that he was doing something worthwhile.

Modern ice fishing is incredible. Tent, power auger, fish finder, glow jigs, miniature spinning rods, etc.

Especially if you live off of a lake!
CJC
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:31 pm

But no beer or booze? What's the point, then?
JDALU75
Expert

Postby CJC » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:52 pm

JDALU75 wrote:But no beer or booze? What's the point, then?

To catch fish. Anyone can get drunk, but who can actually fish?
CJC
Expert

Postby weh » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:54 pm

Again I will suggest making the conference tournaments 1 week later (2nd weekend of March) so that they will not conflict w/ HS state championships.

Of course that means moving NCAAs one week later. BTW who cares about conflicts w/ college basketball - most wrestling fans don't care about BB and those that do can DVR the last 2 minutes of BB w/o missing anything important.
weh
Expert

Postby JDALU75 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:26 pm

weh wrote:Again I will suggest making the conference tournaments 1 week later (2nd weekend of March) so that they will not conflict w/ HS state championships.

Of course that means moving NCAAs one week later. BTW who cares about conflicts w/ college basketball - most wrestling fans don't care about BB and those that do can DVR the last 2 minutes of BB w/o missing anything important.

Next year, Wayne. They finally listened.
JDALU75
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to EIWA