WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

EIWA Rankings #1

Moderators: Allen Brown, GAH

EIWA Rankings #1

Postby JJH » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:50 pm

EIWA Rankings #1
Nov 4, 2013

Team Ranking
(Tournament Ranking based on theoretical team points)
1. Cornell
2. Lehigh
3. Penn
4. Hofstra
T5. Navy
T5. Rutgers
7. American
8. Boston U

Individual Rankings
(Freshmen with collegiate open experience eligible)

125_
1. Nahshon Garrett, So, Cornell
2. Garrett Frey, Sr ,Princeton
3. David Terao, So, American
4. Jamie Franco, Sr, Hofstra
5. Paul Petrov, So, Bucknell
6. David White, Jr, Binghamton

133_
1. Mason Beckman, So, Lehigh
2. Vinny Dellafave, Sr, Rutgers
3. Matt Bystol, Sr, Columbia
4. Bricker Dixon, Jr, Cornell
5. Dane Harlowe, So, Boston U
6. Jeffrey Ott, So, Harvard

141_
1. Mike Nevinger, Sr, Cornell
2. Richard Durso, Jr, Franklin & Marshall
3. C. J. Cobb, Jr, Penn
4. Luke Vaith, Sr, Hofstra
5. Randy Cruz, So, Lehigh
6. Adam Krop, Jr, Princeton

149_
1. Cam Tessari, Jr, Hofstra
2. Raymond Borja, Sr, Navy
3. Chris Villalonga, Jr, Cornell
4. Ken Theobold, So, Rutgers
5. Andrew Lenzi, Sr, Penn
6. Mitch Minotti, Fr, ,Lehigh

157_
1. Joey Napoli, Sr, Lehigh
2. Nestor Taffur, Sr, Boston U
3. Paul Hancock, Sr, Army
4. Steve Robertson, Jr, Penn
5. Brian Realbuto, Fr, Cornell
6. Bobby Burg, So, Navy

165_
1. Josh Houldsworth, Sr, Columbia
2. Peyton Walsh, Jr, Navy
3. Marshall, Peppelman, Sr, Cornell
4. Joe Booth, Sr, Hofstra
5. Cole Gracey, Jr, Army
6. Nicholas Visicaro, Jr, Rutgers

174_
1. Mat Miller, So, Navy
2. Ian Korb, Jr, Penn
3. Jermaine John, Jr, Hofstra
4. Jesse Shanaman, Sr, Cornell
5. Ryan Callahan, Sr, Princeton
6. Phil Bakuckas, Fr, Rutgers

184_
1. Nate Brown, Jr, Lehigh
2. Ophir Bernstein, Jr, Brown
3. Canaan Bethea, Sr, Penn
4. Dan Seidenberg, Sr, Rutgers
5. Billy George, Jr, Cornell
6. Cameron Croy, Sr, Harvard

197_
1. James Fox, Jr, Harvard
2. Brandon Palik, Sr, Drexel
3. Jace Bennett, Jr, Cornell
4. Bryce Barnes, So, Army
5. Danny Mitchell, Sr, American
6. Cody Reed, Sr, Bimghamton

285_
1. Blake Herrin, Sr, American
2. Joe Stolfi, Jr, Bucknell
3. Kevin Innis, Sr, Boston U
4. Stryker Lane, Sr, Cornell
5. Steven Graziano, Sr, Penn
6. Billy Smith, So, Rutgers
JJH
Expert

Re: EIWA Rankings #1

Postby JM » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:56 pm

JJH,

Surprised that you have Brinker Dixon down as CU's 133-pound entrant. Where is Mark Gray? Would think that he would be challenging Beckman for the top spot at 133.

I'm also guessing that it will be Dean for CU rather than Billy George at 184 - but what do I know?

JM
JM
Expert

Postby Allen Brown » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:12 pm

^^I think EIWA has early ranking policy of NOT ranking newcomers. I assume most coaches submit their lineups to JJH for distribution to the voting coaches. Thus, if you have a situation where a returning wrestler might get ranked, even though the frosh likely will be the starter, perhaps the coach lists the returning guy as the starter.

Also, if you have a situation where Meys and Diekel are your likely starters at 184, but won't get ranked as highly as Nate Brown, you want Brown to be ranked. I suppose it's like Dave Berry wrote about the problem of having to write a 400-word column every week. Its "hard, hard, hard." Early season rankings are "hard, hard, hard."

Hey, I'm not kidding. Danny Mitchell now is 100%. Well, on we go!
Allen Brown

Postby mh1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:14 pm

Danny Mitchell #5, I don't think so.
mh1
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:47 am

7 different teams with #1 ranked wrestlers; interesting!

Does this mean that Nate Brown may NOT be redshirting? (To Allen's comment above, I can understand submitting an upper classman's name vs. a freshman if the starter is not yet determined, but it is sort of silly to submit a wrestler for rankings if there is no intent to have that wrestler in the lineup, no?)
Red Blades
Expert

Postby D3 for LU » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:23 pm

RS issue is still in a state of flux, RB...speculation at best until it happens. :wink:
D3
Sir? A pint of your finest ale, please!
Never Argue with an Idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU
Expert

Postby JJH » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:26 pm

The purpose of early season rankings is to generate discussion and buzz. AB is correct that coaches submit starting lineups to me.
It is also correct that many red shirt decisions have not yet been made, despite what fans may think. Open tournaments are a big factor here in many cases.
Next EIWA rankings are due out in mid-December. In the meantime, IT'S NOVEMBER!!!!
JJH
JJH
Expert

Postby Legger » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:24 am

"The purpose of early season rankings is to generate discussion and buzz. AB is correct that coaches submit starting lineups to me.
It is also correct that many red shirt decisions have not yet been made, despite what fans may think. Open tournaments are a big factor here in many cases.
Next EIWA rankings are due out in mid-December. In the meantime, IT'S NOVEMBER!!!!"
JJH

*** As JJH said the purpose is to give us something to talk about and look forward to. John also said only frosh who have already wrestled this year are included in these rankings, hence Grey is not included, while Beckman who is not a frosh but redshirted last year is.

If you look closely at the rankings they are also heavily impacted by the returning place winners from last years EIWAs. There may be a number of newcomers who may be as good or better than those ranked but they have not wrestled yet or have not beaten anyone in the conference yet. Also with the addition of the new teams this year and the returning wrestlers from those teams, that has impacted some of the weights as well. Hofstra brings a number of potential heavy hitters to the conference.

Regarding the high potential newcomers, I think it is a case of: "Let them win a few first before they get ranking respect". They will get their chances in head to head duals. Example Grey will most likely be the starter at 133 for Cornell. Is he better than the 2 through 5 ranked guys at 133? Potentially yes, but he has not officially wrestled yet this year. Once he does he and Beckman will most likely be ranked 1 and 2 (regardless of the order).

Minotti of Lehigh is ranked 6th at 149 because he finished 2nd at the Clarion Open and his only loss was to AA Hunter Steiber of Ohio State 5-2. Is he potentially better than 2-5 ranked guys? Maybe yes maybe no, but they will find out on the mat as Lehigh will wrestle Navy, Cornell, Rutgers and Penn where he will get his chance.

As John said "ITS NOVEMBER" Yes, let the games begin!
"Integrity is doing the right thing, even if no one is looking."
Legger
Expert

Postby Red Blades » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Legger wrote: "The purpose of early season rankings is to generate discussion and buzz. AB is correct that coaches submit starting lineups to me.
Next EIWA rankings are due out in mid-December. In the meantime, IT'S NOVEMBER!!!!"
JJH

*** As JJH said the purpose is to give us something to talk about and look forward to. John also said only frosh who have already wrestled this year are included in these rankings, hence Grey is not included, while Beckman who is not a frosh but redshirted last year is.

True enough, although I would also make the case that another purpose of the first rankings of the year SHOULD be to establish a baseline for future rankings. But yes, I suppose the fans are going to debate these more than anyone else at this point in time.

As for "buzz"... well, if we want that, we can always visit the Penn State BWI forum! Lots of buzz there today! :roll:

Legger wrote: As John said "ITS NOVEMBER" Yes, let the games begin!

Here, here!! We can all agree on that! :D :D :D And may the odds be ever on your side! :wink:
Red Blades
Expert

Postby Legger » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Blades: You are definitely right about the "buzz" on the PST site. Big new indeed if true. If the potential reason is true most EIWA/IVY schools would not even be a consideration.
"Integrity is doing the right thing, even if no one is looking."
Legger
Expert

Postby lu_alum » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Allen Brown wrote:^^I think EIWA has early ranking policy of NOT ranking newcomers. I assume most coaches submit their lineups to JJH for distribution to the voting coaches. Thus, if you have a situation where a returning wrestler might get ranked, even though the frosh likely will be the starter, perhaps the coach lists the returning guy as the starter.

Also, if you have a situation where Meys and Diekel are your likely starters at 184, but won't get ranked as highly as Nate Brown, you want Brown to be ranked. I suppose it's like Dave Berry wrote about the problem of having to write a 400-word column every week. Its "hard, hard, hard." Early season rankings are "hard, hard, hard."

Hey, I'm not kidding. Danny Mitchell now is 100%. Well, on we go!

Realbuto is ranked at 157. He's a true freshman. Minotti and Backus, a couple of RS froshes, are also ranked. JJH noted in the rankings that freshmen with collegiate open experience are elibible to be ranked.
lu_alum
Expert

Return to EIWA