WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Frank Cagnina

Moderators: Allen Brown, GAH

Re: Frank Cagnina

Postby JM » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:02 pm

JJH wrote:
willTOwin wrote:JJH - As a Cornell fan, I am insulted by MH's last post (negative), time to whip out the delete finger...

*** As John Henning points out, just because it is negative doesn't make it negative. That semifinal round WAS pretty devastating for Cornell fans.
Context is everything..... JJH

JJH,
I think 'disappointing' is a better description than 'devastating' regarding the semi-final round at NCAAs for Cornell fans. In order to catch Penn State, the Big Red would have had to win some toss-up bouts, which didn't happen. It's not like some of our heavily favored guys fell apart. Plus, there were no visible temper fits thrown after some close losses, requiring unsportsmanlike team point penalties, for the Big Red. That, could be 'devistating' to a team's image and long-term fortunes (unless a Brands is coaching).
JM
Expert

Postby scribe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:32 pm

They would have had to win ALL of the toss up matches, as has been discussed extensively.

I wouldn't consider any of this a loss of any achieved decorum. We are back to square one in the rivalry with Lehigh, Cornell, and any number of teams vying for bragging rights in the East. I hate to see Cags go, but I love to see him leaving....

The only other thing that hasn't changed is that JJH continues to moderate threads with a Lehigh bias. On we go.
scribe
Expert

Postby CJC » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:43 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote:Not surprised by the junior prom comment CJC. Also can't help but notice the very high correllation between that devastating round at the NCAAs when Cornell lost the tournament and the severe downturn in forum decorum exhibited by Cornellians.

The word is..... bitter.

...it was a lifetime ago, when I lived in a fantasy land similar to the fantasy land that the Lehigh Mtn. Hawks now live in.

....Get it yet?

sincerely,

cjc
CJC
Expert

Postby John Henning » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:48 pm

We all have our bias'....JJH is very fair-minded....certainly a Lehigh partisan --- but hardly anti-anybody as a moderator. His last comment was a fair characterization from his vantage point. Or are you saying he is not entitled to his opinion of how Cornell fans took the results of the round? IMO, Cornell did a tremendous job by finishing second...would have won in most years. Penn State peaked at the right moment. I far prefer Cornell winning to Penn State. Wait, that is a negative comment towards PSU.....
"Any boy can throw his hat into the ring and be a champion." Billy Sheridan Lehigh coach 1912-1952 (222-86-8)
John Henning
Expert

Postby Allen Brown » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:50 pm

^^^I remember back in '39 after Lehigh finished second at the NCAA Tournament that their fans were only a tad disappointed, as evidenced in certain of their post-tournament wrestling comments, when putting quill to parchment.

[P.S. EDIT to reply to Jim's reply, infra, about my age. The other day I mentioned to my 70-year old cousin that we're getting so old we can lie about the past and no one's still around that can call us on it. I work in lies like an artist works in oils or clay.]
Allen Brown

Postby pitbulljim » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:46 pm

1939???? Allen- you must be older than Oldfan. LMAO
pitbulljim
Expert

Postby CJC » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:00 pm

John Henning wrote:We all have our bias'....JJH is very fair-minded....certainly a Lehigh partisan --- but hardly anti-anybody as a moderator. His last comment was a fair characterization from his vantage point. Or are you saying he is not entitled to his opinion of how Cornell fans took the results of the round? IMO, Cornell did a tremendous job by finishing second...would have won in most years. Penn State peaked at the right moment. I far prefer Cornell winning to Penn State. Wait, that is a negative comment towards PSU.....

..lehigh is lehigh, they scored 58 points at the 2011 NCAA's

..PSU is the 2011 National Champions!
CJC
Expert

Postby essayons » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:23 pm

...as I remember the 1939 Tournament it was held during a tremendous snow storm that blanketed the East Coast...

...several teams could not get their stage coach reservations in time and the Philadelphia - Lancaster RR was out on strike...

...only 3 teams participated...Oklahoma A&M, Lehigh and F&M...

...Oklahoma A&M was snowed in until April...but no one in Stillwater even knew they were away...
essayons
Expert

Postby lu_alum » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:33 am

essayons wrote:...as I remember the 1939 Tournament it was held during a tremendous snow storm that blanketed the East Coast...

...several teams could not get their stage coach reservations in time and the Philadelphia - Lancaster RR was out on strike...

...only 3 teams participated...Oklahoma A&M, Lehigh and F&M...

...Oklahoma A&M was snowed in until April...but no one in Stillwater even knew they were away...

1939 NCAA Team Results

1. Oklahoma State
2. Lehigh
3. Illinois
4. Minnesota
4. Michigan
4. Indiana
4. Franklin & Marshall
8. Penn State
9. CCNY
10. Appalachian State

http://wrestlingstats.com/ncaa/pdf/brac ... 201939.pdf

I probably should not have posted this... as I am certain TrollPipe is digging into his memory banks to provide a first-hand account Harold Nichols' championship win over Penn State's Joe Scalzo at 145.

^^^ On we go!
lu_alum
Expert

Postby Allen Brown » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:38 am

^^^ESSAYONS, I always enjoy your posts, and WR.com wants to take this opportunity to praise your attendance over the decades at both Penn State and Lehigh home meets. Well done!

Also, I heard the '39 NCAA Tournament was won by Oklahoma A&M, with 33 points, with Lehigh second with about a doz points. I wasn't born until the 1940's, but do recall hearing Cowboy fans back in the 1950's remembering that 1939 NCAA tournament as the one where the Pokes scored 175% more points than the runnerup team. -Stove Pipe
Allen Brown

Postby EngineerLehigh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Hey, at least all 10 college still exist with only City College dropping wrestling. Now if we could only get F&M back up to that type of ranking.

Did not know Appalachian State has existed that long and had wrestling that long.
EngineerLehigh
Expert

Postby Allen Brown » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 pm

^^^Appalachian State has had some interesting wrestlers over the years. One of the most interesting was Al Crawford, who was an upper body throw artist, 3X AAU champ, and I think was an alternate or on the 1936 U.S. Olympic team. I think Al Crawford arguably is one of the best college wrestlers not to win an NCAA title. Anyway, Dick DiBattista beat Crawford in the 1941 NCAA finals (at Lehigh) at 175 pounds. At that time DiBattista was 19 years old and Crawford 29. Crawford was very distraught losing to a kid in the finals, and reportedly wanted to take on DiB in the locker room after the tournament was over. Appalachian State had a very long dual meet winning streak in the 1950's, as I recall, and had a good blind wrestler circa 1960. Appalachian State has a long, solid and storied wrestling history. -StoveTrollPipe
Allen Brown

Postby JM » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:11 am

Allen Brown wrote:^^^Appalachian State has had some interesting wrestlers over the years. One of the most interesting was Al Crawford, who was an upper body throw artist, 3X AAU champ, and I think was an alternate or on the 1936 U.S. Olympic team. I think Al Crawford arguably is one of the best college wrestlers not to win an NCAA title. Anyway, Dick DiBattista beat Crawford in the 1941 NCAA finals (at Lehigh) at 175 pounds. At that time DiBattista was 19 years old and Crawford 29. Crawford was very distraught losing to a kid in the finals, and reportedly wanted to take on DiB in the locker room after the tournament was over. Appalachian State had a very long dual meet winning streak in the 1950's, as I recall, and had a good blind wrestler circa 1960. Appalachian State has a long, solid and storied wrestling history. -StoveTrollPipe

Great post, STP.
I just knew there was a Frank Cagnina connection somewhere in you post on Appalachian State. Sure enough, Cagnina's predecessor as the Lehigh 133 pounder, Mr. Matt Fisk, who was a dedicated, hard working student/athlete, is the assistant wrestling coach at the school with a storied wrestling history located in Boone, NC.
JM
Expert

Postby Allen Brown » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:12 am

^^^Ahhh, Matt Fisk - fabulous high school career with very high pct of pins and GPA. The summer after Matt graduated from Lehigh (might have been spring?), Matt, his fiancee and their dog, were down checking out American U, I think with an eye to assisting there. I probably didn't post about that at the time, but good to have Matt in coaching - in PA apple don't fall too far from the tree? -StoveTrollPipe
Allen Brown

Postby bud » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Well, I wish him good luck. Furthemore I hope that his high school/freshman wrestling career is NOT the highlight of his life. He would not be the first or last on mat talent to have a big void to fill off the mat. Lets hope he and his family can re-direct his efforts to more important things.
bud
Veteran

Previous

Return to EIWA