WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Andy Lausier Going to Davidson

Moderator: GAH

Andy Lausier Going to Davidson

Postby JM » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Andy Lausier, the head coach at Sacred Heart University the past four years, is headed to Davidson College in North Carolina as their new head wrestling coach.
Hope the program at Sacred Heart is okay.
JM
Expert

Re: Andy Lausier Going to Davidson

Postby JDALU75 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:49 pm

No mention of a change on SH's website. Davidson's release is dated yesterday and says that Lausier is taking over on Thursday, April 21st. Sounds like both schools need some help on the PR side of things.

Good luck to Coach Lausier at Davidson; as you say, hope this doesn't mean that SH's program is in trouble.
“You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.” - Ogden Nash
JDALU75
Expert

Postby oldgrappler » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:34 pm

Lausier and Derek Moore are both class acts.

Davidson is fortunate to have Andy Lausier.
oldgrappler
Expert

Postby JM » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Something tells me that we haven't gotten the full story as to how all this went down .......
JM
Expert

Postby JM » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:16 pm

More bad news regarding Sacred Heart - assistant coach Derek Moore announces on Facebook that he is moving back to the west coast to assist Lennie Zalesky at California Baptist University.
Things are not looking good.... and the University apparently isn't talking.
JM
Expert

Postby mm55 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:59 pm

I read Davidson passed on Mark Cody. He seemed like a better fit from what he did at American. Laussier has his work cut out down at Davidson.
mm55
Veteran

Postby JDALU75 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:00 pm

I going to try to not read too much into this. Bob Patnesky, Davidson's ex-coach, was announced as the new head coach of the Penn State-Erie revived program back in December. PSU-Erie will begin competition this fall. Davidson is a small (2000 undergrads) college which seems fairly serious about its sports, so it may actually be a more major program than Sacred Heart at this point, and they knew in December they were going to need a new head coach. Cody's in his mid-50s and maybe he didn't fit the role of a coach trying to build a program at a small, exclusive, liberal arts college. Lausier in in his late 30s and it may be a better fit for him. Could be that Moore was told he wouldn't succeed Lausier and that's why he left.

Sacred Heart's sports webpage doesn't release much; we'll either hear about a new head coach or else about the program being discontinued before long.
“You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.” - Ogden Nash
JDALU75
Expert

Postby RichB » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:42 pm

Sacred Heart basically does things right. They have as many Varsity Sports as Mississippi and Mississippi State combined. Yeah, they have a few more women's sports than men's, but most are not NCAA sports. And it looks like almost all the Varsity Sports have a club equivalent. Maybe the one thing that worries me is that they do not have men's varsity Swimming, but they have Women's.
Stay Thirsty, My Friends
RichB
Expert

Postby oldgrappler » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:22 am

It's my (possibly incorrect) understanding that Sacred Heart has no scholarship availability for wrestling. That circumstance creates an uphill trek for an EIWA school, when combined with other factors.
oldgrappler
Expert

Postby mm55 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:29 pm

I know Laussier is billed as a program builder but he still is in the same position if not harder now at Davidson. He struggled to bring in any quality d1 talent over the years. This year's class included a few CT state champs and a handful of NJ state qualifiers. That's not enough to build on. Now he has harder admissions which limits his recruiting pool. I hope he does well because things are looking bleak up at Sacred Heart and we cant lose another program.
mm55
Veteran

Return to EIWA