WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Kyle Crutchmer Big12 Wrestler of the Week

Moderator: GAH

Kyle Crutchmer Big12 Wrestler of the Week

Postby Allen Brown » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:12 am

IRVING, Texas – Oklahoma State wrestling junior Kyle Crutchmer was honored as the Big 12 Wrestler of the Week for his performance during the week of Nov. 8-14, the league announced today.

The honor is the first Big 12 weekly honor of his career.

"It feels good," Crutchmer said. "I'm very humbled and happy that I could be recognized by such a prestigious conference as wrestler of the week. That win was big for me as we move forward into these next few weeks."

Crutchmer won a crucial match in the Cowboys' dual against Iowa to give the Cowboys a 13-10 lead. Crutchmer, ranked No. 4 in the nation, took on No. 6 Alex Meyer in a top-ten battle.

As the whistle blew, the Cowboy took down Meyer and put him to his back for six points and continued to work on a pin. With a controversial penalty call that stopped action, Meyer was awarded one point. He later got an escape and a takedown to cut Crutchmer's lead to 6-4. The two exchanged points in the second period, each scoring a takedown, while Meyer score an additional two escapes to bring the score to 8-8 leading into the final period. Crutchmer started the third with an escape but was hit with stalling call, resulting in a point for Meyer, who had riding time advantage. In order to win, Crutchmer would have to score a takedown and run down the Hawkeye's riding time, which he did. After running down the riding time, Crutchmer released the Hawkeye and captured the win, 11-10.
Allen Brown

Return to BIG 12