WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Verkleeren commits to PSU

Moderator: GAH

Verkleeren commits to PSU

Postby nittanykid » Mon May 01, 2017 12:45 am

The #16 overall recruit in the country Jarod Verkleeren has finally made a decision on which college he will attend, and he has decided to stay in state and go to the #1 program in the country, Penn State University. Verkleeren was a cadet world champion two years ago, and a PIAA state champion last month. He joins fellow seniors Nick Lee, and Brady Berge as fellow class of 2017 commits.
nittanykid
Expert

Re: Verkleeren commits to PSU

Postby mtdew » Mon May 01, 2017 1:11 pm

Where everyone going to wrestle?
Mason Manville still going to PSU
mtdew
Veteran

Postby nittanykid » Tue May 02, 2017 12:36 am

mtdew wrote:Where everyone going to wrestle?
Mason Manville still going to PSU

I kind of doubt Manville is still going to Penn State at this point. Otherwise, I don't see the logic in recruiting both Berge and Verkleeren. I mean, Jarod will redshirt next year, then maybe have to sit out a year behind Berge at 149 (I don't think he can beat Berge). Then the following year Jarod can wrestle 149 and Berge can move up to 157, but Manville would throw a wrench into the lineup (although I think Manville is much better than both Berge and Verkleeren). Joseph being a freshman NCAA champ at 165 kind of shuts that weight down for either Manville or Berge to move up to that weight. Either that, or Manville wrestles 157 after Nolf graduates, Berge stays at 149, and Jarod either makes a big cut down to 141 or sits out behind those two. I don't know, but there's definitely a log jam in the middle weights until at least Retherford and Nolf graduate.
nittanykid
Expert

Postby mtdew » Wed May 03, 2017 11:07 am

even with those 2 it stills seems like they have too many at or around the same weight class
mtdew
Veteran

Postby essayons » Sun May 07, 2017 10:26 am

...I believe Manville will still be coming...:
...I trust Cael will find a way to work them all into the lineup at some point...
essayons
Expert

Postby mattown-maniac » Wed May 10, 2017 3:05 pm

I would think all these guys would require a full ride. How do they get them all in and still be at the scholarship limit?
mattown-maniac
Veteran

Postby KTG » Mon May 15, 2017 11:48 am

re Manville - Who knows? I think with him it's more about the recent success in Greco than it may be about guys at 'his weight'. Might make sense to keep on training Greco under WCAP for a stretch...

and I know people will say but he could wrestle for PSU and train Greco at NLWC...yes but Greco and folk are hard to do at same time. Hard enough for guys to do free and folk, Greco is a different beast.
KTG
Veteran

Postby nittanykid » Wed May 24, 2017 12:59 pm

KTG wrote:re Manville - Who knows? I think with him it's more about the recent success in Greco than it may be about guys at 'his weight'. Might make sense to keep on training Greco under WCAP for a stretch...

and I know people will say but he could wrestle for PSU and train Greco at NLWC...yes but Greco and folk are hard to do at same time. Hard enough for guys to do free and folk, Greco is a different beast.

I honestly believe if Mason does come in next year to Penn State, he'll be better than Joseph. He may not be as high scoring and flashy as Cenzo, but the guy just finds ways to get his hand raised.
nittanykid
Expert

Postby NoVaLion » Thu May 25, 2017 5:47 am

mattown-maniac wrote:I would think all these guys would require a full ride. How do they get them all in and still be at the scholarship limit?

Hardly anyone at any D1 school gets a full ride. In the Financial Report for the 2015-16 season PSU reported 32 kids getting some level of athletic aid. Manville is Army ROTC so he isn't getting any. As to the notion he isn't coming to PSU he has already been there working out at the NLWC for some time and has said in multiple interviews recently he is enrolling at PSU this summer. I don't understand why people wring their hands so much over us having quality depth. That is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing.
NoVaLion
Veteran

Postby mattown-maniac » Thu May 25, 2017 3:11 pm

For the record, I wasn't wringing my hands over PSU's depth. I was just asking a question. I thought it was a legitimate question.
mattown-maniac
Veteran

Postby nittanykid » Fri May 26, 2017 12:56 am

mattown-maniac wrote:For the record, I wasn't wringing my hands over PSU's depth. I was just asking a question. I thought it was a legitimate question.

It is a legitimate question. These are elite, blue chip guys we're talking about here. There's no way they're going to be happy as back-ups. No matter how you slice it, someone will eventually wind up transferring out. There's just not enough slots for this much talent. You have Brady Berge, Mason Manville, Vincenzo Joseph, Jerod Verklereen, Joe Lee, and Travis Wittlake all coming in over the next two years. Joseph is only going to be a sophomore. You only have 3 slots for these guys to battle over (149, 157, 165). None of these guys are beating Hall at 174, and Nolf still has 2 more years at 157. One of them will grab Zain's spot after next year, but then you're going to have at least a year or two of overlap with all these guys hovering around 2 or 3 weights. Maybe Wittlake gets big enough for 184, which would take one guy out of the equation, but you're still going to have a bloat at those other three weights. You're also going to have a potential log jam down low with both Teasdale and Roman Bravo Young coming in, along with Nick Lee. Again, only two weights are open: 133 and 141. Suriano has 125 on lock down for the next three years.

We've already seen quality guys leaving the program so they can start somewhere else (Hammond, AJ Nevills, Dinmore, just to name a few). The guys coming in are on another level than any of the guys who have left the program so far, and they are not coming to Penn State to ride the pine.
nittanykid
Expert

Postby Legger » Fri May 26, 2017 7:21 am

nittanykid wrote:
mattown-maniac wrote:For the record, I wasn't wringing my hands over PSU's depth. I was just asking a question. I thought it was a legitimate question.

It is a legitimate question. These are elite, blue chip guys we're talking about here. There's no way they're going to be happy as back-ups. No matter how you slice it, someone will eventually wind up transferring out. There's just not enough slots for this much talent. You have Brady Berge, Mason Manville, Vincenzo Joseph, Jerod Verklereen, Joe Lee, and Travis Wittlake all coming in over the next two years. Joseph is only going to be a sophomore. You only have 3 slots for these guys to battle over (149, 157, 165). None of these guys are beating Hall at 174, and Nolf still has 2 more years at 157. One of them will grab Zain's spot after next year, but then you're going to have at least a year or two of overlap with all these guys hovering around 2 or 3 weights. Maybe Wittlake gets big enough for 184, which would take one guy out of the equation, but you're still going to have a bloat at those other three weights. You're also going to have a potential log jam down low with both Teasdale and Roman Bravo Young coming in, along with Nick Lee. Again, only two weights are open: 133 and 141. Suriano has 125 on lock down for the next three years.

We've already seen quality guys leaving the program so they can start somewhere else (Hammond, AJ Nevills, Dinmore, just to name a few). The guys coming in are on another level than any of the guys who have left the program so far, and they are not coming to Penn State to ride the pine.

**** Nice problem to have, but still a problem.
"Integrity is doing the right thing, even if no one is looking."
Legger
Expert

Postby nittanykid » Sat May 27, 2017 12:45 am

Legger wrote:
nittanykid wrote:

**** Nice problem to have, but still a problem.

Indeed. Here's how I see it playing it out over the next few years. Obviously, next year the lineup will be about the same, with I'm guessing Nick Lee coming in at 141 to replace Gulibon. I'm pretty certain (barring injuries) all the incoming freshmen will redshirt (Manville, Berge, Verkleeren) with the exception of Lee. The following year, I see the lineup like this for 2019:
125: Suriano (no brainer)
133: Cortez (if he can hold the weight)
141: Lee (looks like he's a career 141 pounder unless he packs on some serious muscle or hits a growth spurt)
149: Berge (I think he can make this weight for one year, if not Verklereen wrestles here)
157: Nolf
165: Cenzo or Manville
174: Hall
184: Nickal
197: Beard (he's good enough to start as a true frosh)
285: Nevills
So already in this potential lineup, you have Manville and Verkleeren as a possible backups, as I don't see him challenging a senior Jason Nolf at 157. Unless of course, he beats Cenzo in a wrestle off (seriously, don't look past this happening). It'll be the year after this one when things really get hectic, as Teasdale, RBY, and Wittlake come off probable redshirts.
So here's the issue for the 2020 season
125: Suriano
133: Teasdale or RBY (can either one of them get big enough for 141?).
141: Nick Lee or loser of 133 (can Lee get big enough for 149?).
149: Verkleeren or Lee (if he moves up a weight).
157: Brady Berge (once Nolf graduates, I think he's the man at this weight).
165: Cenzo or Manville (someone is going to be the backup between two elite wrestlers).
174: Hall
184: Wittlake (I hope after two more years he's big enough for this weight. Would be perfect if he comes in here right after Nickal graduates).
197: Beard (stud).
285: Seth Nevills
Even in this scenario, you have the possibility of two or three hammers having to miss their redshirt freshman or sophomore seasons. I could definitely see a scenario where a top recruit or two may decide that it would be better to transfer to another program and start, and have a chance to AA for another school, rather than just be a part of this program, no matter how great it's going to be.
nittanykid
Expert

Return to Penn State