WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Gulibon and Clark

Moderator: GAH

Gulibon and Clark

Postby Wpial Bigot » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:06 pm

Been reading alot about Gulibon on the other forums. Got to watch him wrestle all three of his matches. I'm not going to get into should he have won/could he have, etc. All I remember is Jimmy getting up after being pinned and calmly walking over to the center of the mat, calmly shaking hands and acting like a gentleman. Saw the same with Clark from Iowa. After he lost in the finals, he actually walked after Tomasello to congratulate him and shake his hand. There were other examples, but those two just caught my attention. Will be rooting for both of them at NCAA's. More often than not, it's when you lose you show your true colors. Both these guys were class acts.
Wpial Bigot
Expert

Re: Gulibon and Clark

Postby KTG » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:46 pm

I only saw the finals but like you was impressed with how Clark handled that. Quite different than the sprint off the mat deal some of the Iowa guys had done in years past.
KTG
Veteran

Postby JStock » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:42 pm

Clark DID handle himself with complete class but I don't think he went after Tomasello to congradulate him, he went after him to get the hand shake done so he could get off the mat. Tomasello was slow to get back to the center as he was (Justifiably) celebrating the win.
I also thought Isaac Jordan handled his losses with complete class, especially the loss vs Massa. I have never seen that kind of call before.
JStock
Novice

Postby nittanykid » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:13 am

Gulibon may be classy in defeat, but it would've been more impressive if he wouldn't have given up after his quarterfinal loss and actually came back and taken third or fourth, instead of getting pinned two more times. There's absolutely no excuse for that, especially in his 7th/8th place match against an unranked freshman. I'll be glad when he's off this team. Nick Lee will do better next year as a true freshman than Jimmy ever did. At least Lee will always wrestle hard.
nittanykid
Expert

Postby Boro Fan II » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:42 am

What did Clark do wrong that gave Tomasello a penalty point in their match? Also, did Iowa lose a team point when Brands threw the replay flag at the head table?
Boro Fan II
Novice

Postby Wpial Bigot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:37 pm

Believe they called Clark for locking hands.
Wpial Bigot
Expert

Postby nittanykid » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Boro Fan II wrote:What did Clark do wrong that gave Tomasello a penalty point in their match? Also, did Iowa lose a team point when Brands threw the replay flag at the head table?

Brands got a bench warning, no points.
nittanykid
Expert

Postby mh1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:00 pm

nittanykid wrote:Gulibon may be classy in defeat, but it would've been more impressive if he wouldn't have given up after his quarterfinal loss and actually came back and taken third or fourth, instead of getting pinned two more times. There's absolutely no excuse for that, especially in his 7th/8th place match against an unranked freshman. I'll be glad when he's off this team. Nick Lee will do better next year as a true freshman than Jimmy ever did. At least Lee will always wrestle hard.

Do you say those things about the kids you coach on your high school team?

You are a beaut
mh1
Expert

Postby TheBigLebowski » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:13 pm

^^ He's not a real coach, he's one of those guys that does it for the under armor jacket that says coach on it. He could've picked a better school to do it for, but as you can imagine with comments like that he's picking from the bottom of the barrel. He's never coached a kid with 1/100th of the talent of Jimmy.
That's just like your opinion man.
TheBigLebowski
Novice

Postby nittanykid » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:44 am

TheBigLebowski wrote:^^ He's not a real coach, he's one of those guys that does it for the under armor jacket that says coach on it. He could've picked a better school to do it for, but as you can imagine with comments like that he's picking from the bottom of the barrel. He's never coached a kid with 1/100th of the talent of Jimmy.

I've never coached any kids with Jimmy's talent, but I've coached a lot of kids with a whole lot more heart.
nittanykid
Expert

Postby Dontaxeme » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:12 am

mh1 wrote:
nittanykid wrote:Gulibon may be classy in defeat, but it would've been more impressive if he wouldn't have given up after his quarterfinal loss and actually came back and taken third or fourth, instead of getting pinned two more times. There's absolutely no excuse for that, especially in his 7th/8th place match against an unranked freshman. I'll be glad when he's off this team. Nick Lee will do better next year as a true freshman than Jimmy ever did. At least Lee will always wrestle hard.

Do you say those things about the kids you coach on your high school team?

You are a beaut

I get NK's point. These are not high school wrestlers....they are college D1 scholarship athletes. There comes a performance expectation when you're getting "paid." Like it or not, certain D1 sports are a business. I don't think his comments are out of line.
Dontaxeme
Novice

Postby nittanykid » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:43 am

As the 2 seed, if he had wrestled to his seed, Penn State would've won the B1G. Had he lost, but still wrestled back and taken 3rd, we would've won the B1G. Being a fifth year senior, the only senior in the starting lineup, and getting pinned three straight times to take 8th, is inexcusable. He's a 4X PIAA champ, and he's by far the worst wrestler in the starting lineup. There's something to be said when two true freshmen are better leaders, and more dependable than a fifth year senior. If Jimmy was truly committed to the sport and to the team, he'd be wrestling 133, instead of wrestling pretty much flat weight at 141. 14-10 and unseeded at nationals. Yeah, I'd say he's very easily replaceable.
nittanykid
Expert

Postby mh1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:10 pm

And has been said before You Are A Hump
mh1
Expert

Postby Asa Packer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:48 am

"He's not a real coach, he's one of those guys that does it for the under armor jacket that says coach on it."
"... You Are A Hump"
Well one thing we now know is he's not Jeff Sandusky, as Jeff Sandusky was being taken into custody at the same time as a nitwitlion post.
Who/what he really is remains a mystery.
Darian Cruz, 2017 NCAA Champion at 125 lbs!!!
Asa Packer
Expert

Postby Boro Fan II » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:03 am

Because this post is partially about Jimmy Gulibon, I thought it was interesting (maybe only to me lol) that one of the people that pinned him at the BIG 10 tourney was Ryan Diehl. Ryan Diehl is the wrestler that stopped Jason Nolf from being a 4 time PIAA state champ. He beat him 6-4 in semi finals during Jason's sophomore year, in one of the better HS matches I have witnessed. Hopefully Jason Nolf can win as many NCAA titles as he did PIAA titles. Good luck to all the PSU wrestlers at Nationals.
Boro Fan II
Novice

Return to Penn State