WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Penn State vs. Illinois Prediction Thread

Moderator: GAH

Penn State vs. Illinois Prediction Thread

Postby nittanykid » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:54 pm

Heading into the home stretch of the B1G dual meet season, the Nittany Lions have all but locked up the dual title; barring a complete collapse this weekend, which would have to include a loss to Maryland on Sunday (not even sure that's possible even if Penn State wrestled their backups). But another tough opponent awaits the Lion squad Friday night in #10 Illinois. The sold out Rec Hall crowd should be rocking, as this is only Penn State's second home dual in over a month. The marquee matchup will obviously be at 165 between PSU's #4 ranked freshman Vincenzo Joseph and the returning 2X NCAA champion Isaiah Martinez.

125: Nick Suriano vs. Travis Piotrowski- I don't see Nick really struggling here against an unranked opponent. He should get to his attacks early and often. It could end in a tech, but I'll play it safe and go with the major decision. Suriano by major decision, 4-0 PSU.

133: George Carpenter/Tristan Law vs. Zane Richards- This one only gets out of the first period if Zane wants it to. Richards by technical fall, 5-4 Illinois.

141: Jimmy Guilibon vs. Mousa Jodeh- What a turn around Jimmy has had the second half of the season! He is now actually looking at a very strong possibility of being the #2 or #3 seed at the B1G Championships. I don't see him getting derailed here. Gulibon by major decision, 8-5 PSU.

149: Zain Retherford vs. Eric Barone- Eric can't stop the Zain Train. Retherford by fall, 14-5 PSU.

157: Jason Nolf vs. Kyle Langenderfer- Kyle has had a very solid season and now finds himself ranked #12 in the country. Unfortunately, he gets The Matrix on Friday night. Nolf by tech fall, 19-5 PSU.

165: Vincenzo Joseph vs. Isaiah Martinez- Featured bout of the night! Cenzo has had himself a tremendous freshman campaign, falling only to Keaton Subjeck of Stanford (of self inflicted wounds) and #3 ranked and returning NCAA finalist Isaac Jordan in overtime, a match that he had won until the final seconds. Unfortunately here, I think Cenzo loses again to a B1G opponent with a biblical name. IMar just finds ways to win, and although I think Cenzo may even find a takedown or maybe even two here, I don't think he has enough to get his hand raised against one of the best overall wrestlers in the country. IMar by decision, 8-4. 19-8 PSU.

174: Mark Hall vs. Zac Brunson- After the coward Robert Ford (AKA Bo Jordan) ducked Hall last week, Mark gets a solid test this week against a very good #12 ranked Zac Brunson. Brunson is a great scrambler and can put up lots of points. However, Hall is an even better scrambler, and has the speed and strength to give Zac fits. Hall by decision, 22-8 PSU.

184: Bo Nickal vs. Emery Parker- Another wrestler for the Fighting Illini who's having a great season, Emery has climbed to #12 in the rankings, but runs into the Texas Tornado here. I think Nickal continues his pinning ways here, collecting a fall late. Nickal by fall, 28-8 PSU.

197: Matt McCutcheon vs. Andre Lee- Lee is one of those guys who's hard to score on, and has great head/hands defense. Matt had a great showing against Kollin Moore last week, giving the freshman Buckeye all he could handle before falling late, even getting two nice takedowns. I think Matt can get a couple of takedowns here as well, and win a nice decision. McCutcheon by decision, 31-8 PSU.

285: Nick Nevills vs. Brooks Black- Revenge for Nevills! Brooks prevented Nick from qualifying for the NCAA tournament last season, defeating Nick in the B1G wrestle backs. Obviously, Nick wasn't healthy last season, and it showed. However, Brooks is still a dangerous heavy, and can be hard to score on, but I think Nick gets past him here with a couple of nice takedowns and a riding time point. Nevills by decision, 34-8 PSU.
nittanykid
Expert

Re: Penn State vs. Illinois Prediction Thread

Postby Show_Me » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:33 pm

Nice analysis and agree with all your picks.

I do believe that Martinez could potentially Major Joseph. Should be an interesting match though.
Show_Me
Veteran

Postby nittanykid » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:32 pm

Show_Me wrote:Nice analysis and agree with all your picks.

I do believe that Martinez could potentially Major Joseph. Should be an interesting match though.

He could major Cenzo, no doubt. However, given that IMar struggled to score on Massa and Daniel Lewis, I don't think his power is as big of a factor at 165 as it was at 157. Jospeh is darn good, and is elite on his feet. The biggest deciding factor in this match could be Cenzo's gas tank, which has been questionable several times this season, especially at the end of the match against Jordan, and in the Iowa dual. If you gas against Imar, he'll make you pay, that's for certain.
nittanykid
Expert

Postby ctmopar » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:21 pm

Awesome from start to finish...My hats off to all on The PSU "Train"!!!

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-wre ... 17aaa.html

>>>Kid needs to work on his predictions off by one point is not acceptable :wink:

>>>Redemption for Mr. Nevills

>>>Mr. Hall with the tech at REC

>>>Mr. Gulibon starting to feel it which will be huge come NCAA's

>>>Mr. Joseph is right where he needs to be at this point

#1 Penn State 34, #11 Illinois 7
February 10, 2017 – Rec Hall – University Park, Pa.

125: #2 Nick Suriano PSU maj. dec. Travis Piotrowski ILL, 17-6 / 4-0
133: #6 Zane Richards ILL maj. dec. George Carpenter PSU, 19-7 / 4-4
141: #11 Jimmy Gulibon PSU maj. dec. Mousa Jodeh ILL, 10-2 / 8-4
149: #1 Zain Retherford PSU pinned #19 Eric Barone ILL, WBF (4:09) / 14-4
157: #1 Jason Nolf PSU tech fall #12 Kyle Langenderfer ILL, 26-11 (TF; 6:45) / 19-4
165: #1 Isaiah Martinez ILL dec. #4 Vincenzo Joseph PSU, 5-2 / 19-7
174: #7 Mark Hall PSU tech fall #12 Zac Brunson ILL, 16-1 (TF; 7:00) / 24-7
184: #2 Bo Nickal PSU maj. dec. #12 Emery Parker ILL, 18-5 / 28-7
197: #9 Matt McCutcheon PSU dec. Andre Lee ILL, 3-1 / 31-7
285: #3 Nick Nevills PSU dec. #15 Brooks Black ILL, 5-0 / 34-7
Attendance: 6,645 (34th straight Rec Hall sell-out)
Records: Penn State 12-0, 8-0 B1G; Illinois 8-3, 5-3 B1G

P.S. Impressive vs The BIG!!!
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!!!
ctmopar
Expert

Return to Penn State