WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Penn State vs. Ohio State Prediction Thread

Moderator: GAH

Penn State vs. Ohio State Prediction Thread

Postby nittanykid » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:18 am

Seems like every week Penn State is in a showcase dual, but that's what happens when you wrestle in the B1G! This Friday, the Nittany Lions travel to Columbus to do battle with the #4 ranked Buckeyes of Ohio State. A win for Penn State pretty much locks up the Big Ten dual meet title for a second straight year. If they lose, they fall into a three way tie with Ohio State, and Iowa (have no idea how the tie breaker would work). There are ranked matchups up and down the lineup in this one. I was going to go with Mark Hall vs. Bo Jordan as the feature bout, but seeing as how Bo has conveniently been "hurt" whenever he's supposed to wrestle anyone of merit, I'm guessing coach Ryan holds him out again to protect his seed at the B1G Championships. Therefore, the marquee matchup will be at 184 between Bo Nickal and Myles Martin, a rematch of last year's NCAA finals at 174.

125: Nick Suriano vs. Jose Rodriguez- Suriano has been rock solid all year for the Nittany Lions. Rodriguez had a great start to the season, but has really dropped off in the second half of the year. If Suriano puts a pace on him like I'm expecting, I think Nick will get bonus points here. Suriano by major decision, 4-0 PSU.

133: George Carpenter/Tristan Law vs. Nathan Tomasello- Will it be Carpenter or Law at 133 for Penn State? The answer is, "who cares!" Whomever the coaches send out is going to be the sacrificial lamb. Tomasello by technical fall, 5-4 OSU.

141: Jimmy Gulibon vs. Luke Pletcher- Fifth year senior versus true freshman! This is a big match for the dual, and for seeding at Big Ten's. Luke has looked outstanding wrestling up a weight, plus the fact that he's a true freshman wrestling one of the toughest schedules in the NCAA makes it even more impressive. I'm excited to see Jimmy actually wrestle someone his own size. In all honesty, I think this match will come down to mat wrestling, where Jimmy has a significant advantage. Luke has struggled on both top and bottom, and I think it's an area that Jimmy will look to exploit. I could see Gulibon getting to one of his patented wrist tilts here, and that could be the difference in the match. Gulibon by decision, 7-5 PSU.

149: Zain Retherford vs. Micah Jordan- Zain looked back to form last weekend, and Micah seems to struggle on bottom. That ain't good when you're wrestling the Zain Train. I think Zain looks for bonus here, and possibly the fall. Zain by major decision, 11-5 PSU.

157: Jason Nolf vs. Jake Ryan- last year Jake stalled his butt off and was able to keep it to a major decision. I don't see that happening again. Nolf by technical fall, 16-5 PSU.

165: Vincenzo Joseph vs. Cody Burcher- Cenzo was just 10 seconds or away from a big upset win last week against #3 ranked and returning NCAA runner-up Isaac Jordan, but gave up a heart breaking reversal which sent it into overtime where he gave up the takedown to lose, 6-4. But I think even though he lost, it should give him all the confidence he needs that he can scrap with the best in the country at this weight. In a match where bonus points will be important, I think Cenzo digs out an 8 point win. Joseph by major decision, 20-5 PSU.

174: Mark Hall vs. Bo Jordan/Justin Kresevic- As much as I and everyone else in the country want to see Hall vs. Jordan, I just don't see it happening here. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm going to just go with my instinct and say that they hold Bo out here, knowing that he's the #1 seed at Big Ten's without wrestling, and can only hurt his seed if he were to lose. Hall takes out his frustration on the backup and gets the fall. Hall by fall, 26-5 PSU.

184: Bo Nickal vs. Myles Martin- Rematch! This will actually be the fifth time the two have met in their young careers, with Bo holding a 3-1 advantage. Of course, Martin won the one that mattered most, in the finals of the NCAA's last year. I can think of no greater motivation than this for Nickal, who has probably been looking forward to this match since last March. I think Bo will wrestle a smarter match this time than he did last time, avoiding all the 50/50 throws that got him into so much trouble in MSG, and sticks to a more basic game plan of underhooks to knee picks and a solid ride. Martin has gassed in several matches this year and the game plan seems to be to drag him into deep waters and attack in the third period. I think Nickal follows this playbook and gets a takedown or even two in the final frame to pull away comfortably. Nickal by decision, 9-3. 29-5 PSU.

197: Matt McCutcheon vs. Kollin Moore- Matt has had a very solid year wrestling up a weight. He almost knocked off #2 Brett Pfarr, and has several solid wins under his belt. He's also very hard to score on. However, he looked lackluster against Cash Wilke from Iowa, an opponent that Moore had little trouble with last weekend. Kollin also came very close to upsetting #1 ranked and returning NCAA champ J'Den Cox. I think Moore's offense may be too much for Matt's defense and he gets the win. Moore by decision, 29-8 PSU.

285: Nick Nevills vs. Kyle Snyder- Another week, another super tough opponent for Nick. Nevills, like his teammate Vincenzo, came very close to a nice upset win against #2 ranked Conor Medbery, only to give up a late takedown to lose. Now he's up against his toughest challenge yet, Olympic gold medalist and returning NCAA champion Kyle Snyder. Kyle missed the Iowa dual last week, electing to head to Russia instead for the ultra tough Yarygin Open, which he won. Now he comes home to wrestle in a Big Ten dual. If Nick is able to hold this to a regular decision, I would be supremely satisfied. However, Snyder is on a whole other level. Snyder by major decision, 29-12 PSU.
nittanykid
Expert

Re: Penn State vs. Ohio State Prediction Thread

Postby KTG » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:13 pm

I really hope they don't hold BoJo out but I think you could be right. Also hearing that Ryan may not go at 157, so change that to a pin (which might happen even if Ryan wrestles)
KTG
Veteran

Postby black_sabathia » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:21 pm

Seems like every week Penn State is in a showcase dual, but that's what happens when you wrestle in the B1G!

- LOL - they've wrestled Nebraska, Iowa and now Ohio State. That's three weeks. Remarkably soft schedule that could bite them in the ass.
“I swear it upon Zeus an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.” -Socrates —
black_sabathia
Expert

Postby Legger » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:40 pm

black_sabathia wrote:Seems like every week Penn State is in a showcase dual, but that's what happens when you wrestle in the B1G!

- LOL - they've wrestled Nebraska, Iowa and now Ohio State. That's three weeks. Remarkably soft schedule that could bite them in the ass.

**** OOOH! How dare you question Nittanykid? Prepare for a Shock and Awe Response. You have been warned.
"Integrity is doing the right thing, even if no one is looking."
Legger
Expert

Postby ctmopar » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:38 pm

Awesome response from the EIWA...Lehigh losing to Michigan after losing to The "Big Red"...Both would lose to Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan, and Ohio State!!!

>>> EIWA has Mr. Dean that is it and Mr. Nickal may spoil that

>>> 7-3 split depending on who wrestles 30-9...Mr. Nickal by Major

black_sabathia wrote:Seems like every week Penn State is in a showcase dual, but that's what happens when you wrestle in the B1G!

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!!!
ctmopar
Expert

Postby nittanykid » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:16 am

Does the EIWA still have wrestling?
nittanykid
Expert

Postby black_sabathia » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:07 am

A college diploma is just a receipt.
“I swear it upon Zeus an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.” -Socrates —
black_sabathia
Expert

Postby John Henning » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:03 am

Does the Big 10 even have admission departments for athletes anymore?
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." John F Kennedy
John Henning
Expert

Postby Nitt Fan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:05 pm

Enough is enough!!!
Attachments
bear.jpg
bear.jpg (19.71 KiB) Viewed 728 times
Nitt Fan
Novice

Postby John Henning » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Then talk to your guy and suggest he drop the insults
John Henning
Expert

Postby nittanykid » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:42 pm

John Henning wrote:Then talk to your guy and suggest he drop the insults

You douche nozzles talk trash, I talk back, then you cry like little bitches. Don't start it if you can't take it.
nittanykid
Expert

Postby black_sabathia » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:33 pm

You're starting from a bad spot Nit not sure you want to take this much further.
black_sabathia
Expert

Postby ctmopar » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Mr. Henning if my sister had a dick she'd be my brother...If you think the B1G is a bunch of thugs back up your claim with facts...When you do you'll be surprised...With that said and the EIWA so superior in intellect why do they have only a thug to represent the conference???

John Henning wrote:Does the Big 10 even have admission departments for athletes anymore?
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!!!
ctmopar
Expert

Postby Nitt Fan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:57 pm

black_sabathia wrote:You're starting from a bad spot Nit not sure you want to take this much further.

Ooooh. How scary. It must be .......
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (12.88 KiB) Viewed 674 times
Nitt Fan
Novice

Postby John Henning » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:46 pm

Two anonymous replies both vulgar. Coincidence?

My post was generic to Big 10 athletes. And yes, do you think all those football, basketball and others could gain out of state admission without being an athlete? ALL of them? Now who's being naive?

My point is don't pound your chest when you have athletes working out 2 and 3 times per day and claiming the over all academic prestige the Big 10 has applies evenly to athletes, especially with out of state admissions which are more difficult in most state school cases.

You guys are quite paranoid about this it seems.

And no one started anything. One guy continues to start it with insults. When others respond they get attacked?
John Henning
Expert

Next

Return to Penn State