WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Penn State vs. Wisconsin Prediction Thread

Moderator: GAH

Penn State vs. Wisconsin Prediction Thread

Postby nittanykid » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:41 am

Sorry again for the delay, but it's been another busy week for me! The Nittany Lions trek to Madison, Wisconsin today for a dual with the Badgers. The marquee matchup will be at 165 between #3 Isaac Jordan and #4 Vincenzo Joseph.

125: Nick Suriano vs. Johnny Jimenez- Another tough B1G dual for Nick, although not nearly as difficult as last week's opponent. I see Nick bouncing back after last week's close loss with a solid win Friday night. Suriano by dec, 3-0 PSU.

133: George Carpenter/Tristan Law vs. Eli Stickley- Not certain who's going to man this position against the Badgers, but either way it's looking like a Wisco victory. Stickley by decision, 3-3.

141: Jimmy Gulibon vs. Cole Martin- Jimmy came up huge last weekend for himself and the team in a come from behind victory inside Carver Hawkeye Arena. I think he keeps the ball rolling here. Gulibon by decision, 6-3 PSU.

149: Zain Retherford vs. Andrew Crone- Hate to be Crone in this match. After battling a tough opponent last week with an illness, I'm sure the Z-Train is going to be looking to get back on track. Retherford by fall, 12-3 PSU.

157: Jason Nolf vs. Timothy Ruschell- After defeating the #2 ranked Kemerer last weekend by regular decision, Nolf also returns to bonus point form. Nolf by major decision, 16-3 PSU.

165: Vincenzo Joseph vs. Isaac Jordan- Here it is, the marquee matchup of the night (although there's another one at Hwt). This is going to be a collision of an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object. The key to victory here is going to be for Cenzo to get Isaac out of his comfort zone. How do you do that? Well, you need to be offensive, and make Jordan open up. Isaac wants to slow the pace and win a low scoring match. Cenzo is going to need to attack early and often and set the pace. Unfortunately, at this point, I think Isaac is better at his game than Vincenzo is at his. I see a low scoring affair, and a win for the upper-classman. Jordan by decision, 4-2. 16-6 PSU.

174: Mark Hall vs. Ryan Christensen- Well, things didn't go as everyone would have hoped last week when Mark was taken off of redshirt, but there's still a long season ahead, and I'm certain no one wants to get out there and wrestle again more than Mark does. Starting your collegiate career in Carver Hawkeye Arena against a 5th year senior and a returning All American is an arduous task, and one that Mark almost pulled off. Against Wisconsin, he's going to be out to prove he is the phenom everyone thought he was coming out of high school. Hall by fall, 22-6 PSU.

184: Bo Nickal vs. Hunter Ritter- Another opponent, another fall for Bo (I'm predicting anyway). Nickal by fall, 28-6 PSU.

197: Matt McCutcheon vs. Ricky Robertson- Matt won in overtime last weekend, and it definitely wasn't his best performance, but I see him bouncing back against Wisconsin. Ricky Robertson has had his ups and downs in his career, but after moving up two weight classes from where he had most of his success, it's been mostly downs. McCutcheon by decision, 31-6 PSU.

285: Nick Nevills vs. Connor Medbery- Nick's biggest test of the season so far. For a while, I thought that Medbery might have been on the same level as Kyle Snyder at 285, and perhaps even knock off the Olympic gold medalist, but I've been less than impressed with some of his matches lately, including a tight 3-2 win over Michael Kroells last week. This gives me some hope that perhaps Nick isn't as far off from the upper echelon that I thought coming into this season. Nick may not be on Snyder's level, but I think he could be #2 at the weight, and if he grabs a win against Connor, he'll be in the discussion. What the heck, I'll go with the undefeated Lion here in a minor upset. Nevills by decision, 34-6 PSU.
nittanykid
Expert

Return to Penn State