WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Penn State vs. Oklahoma State Prediction Contest

Moderator: GAH

Penn State vs. Oklahoma State Prediction Contest

Postby nittanykid » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:59 am

HERE IT IS!!! The biggest dual of the year is this Sunday inside Gallagher Arena against the #1 ranked Cowboys of Oklahoma State! This is a rematch of last year's NWCA National Duals Championship series which Penn State won handily at Happy Valley. Both teams come in undefeated, looking to capture the NWCA crown! There are marquee matches up and down the lineup, but let's make the match of the night at 149 between #1 ranked and returning undefeated NCAA champion Zain Retherford and #2 ranked Anthony Collica.

125: Nick Suriano vs. Nick Piccininni- We'll kick off the dual (if it starts at 125) with some Nick on Nick crime! 4X New Jersey state champ vs. 4X New York state champ. Suriano has looked absolutely incredible as a true freshman, and has only gotten more offensive and confident as the season has progressed. Piccininni has had a solid freshman campaign as well, although he has suffered several losses this year. Suriano should control this one on their feet, as well as on top, and I look for him to win comfortably, even if he doesn't pick up bonus points. Suriano by decision, 3-0 PSU.

133: George Carpenter vs. Kaid Brock- George's job will be to prevent the fall, which I don't think he'll do. Brock is a pinner, and George is an Adam doll. Brock by fall, 6-3 OSU.

141: Jimmy Gulibon vs. Dein Heil- These two have history going all the way back to high school, but while Dean has gotten significantly better, Jimmy has struggled finding the same success at the collegiate level that he enjoyed in high school. I still think it has much more to do with his refusal to lose weight than it does with his ability on the mat, but it's too late now. Heil never wins big, and I don't see him wracking up the points here, either. I'll take Heil with a 4-1 or 5-2 victory. Heil by decision, 9-3 OSU.

149: Zain Retherford vs. Anthony Collica- The unstoppable force versus the immovable object! If doing nothing at all was the key to wrestling, Collica would be the second greatest wrestler of all time (behind only Sorensen). Unfortunately for Anthony, you have to be able to score to win in wrestling, and he never does. He's defensive enough to keep it close, and I highly doubt they'll ding him for stalling as much as they should since it's his home mat, so I'll go with Zain winning a low scoring affair. Retherford by decision, 5-2. 9-6 OSU.

157: Jason Nolf vs. Joe Smith- Round three! Nolf has completely separated himself from the rest of the pack at this weight, and Joe has really struggled to find the success he enjoyed last year as a freshman. I don't see this one even being close. Nolf by major decision, 10-9 PSU.

165: Vincenzo Joseph vs. Chandler Rogers- Another great matchup here. Cenzo has had a very solid freshman campaign, losing only 1 match to a wrestler not in the top 3. He lost in the closing seconds against Isaac Jordan, and kept it respectable against IMar. Chandler is a big move guy, but if you can stay out of the throws and his big moves from bottom, he is very beatable. I think Cenzo keeps this match simple and just beats Rogers with singles and doubles from his feet. Joseph by decision, 13-9 PSU.

174: Mark Hall vs. Kyle Crutchmer- This one got ugly in the Scuffle finals, but a lot of those points came right away from a 4 point tilt by Hall. Still, Hall took him down several times easily, and I don't think Crutch has the speed or athleticism to stay with Hall on their feet. I'll take Mark again pretty comfortably. It may be bonus points again, but I'll play it safe and just go with a regular decision. Hall by decision, 16-9 PSU.

184: Bo Nickal vs. Nolan Boyd- Bo is quietly having one of the best seasons in the country right now. He's undefeated, and has big wins over a returning NCAA champ, Martin, and a returning NCAA runner up in Dudley. He's also pinned 12 of his 17 opponents. I don't think this one is going to be close. Actually, I think Boyd will be in danger of being victim number 13. Nickal by fall, 22-9 PSU.

197: Matt McCutcheon vs. Preston Weigel- Great match between two guys who are right in the mix of being All Americans this year. Matt has been outstanding wrestling up a weight this year, and almost picked off #4 ranked Kollin Moore in the Ohio State dual. Weigel is significantly bigger than Matt, but Matt is very strong and difficult to score on. Preston makes a living on top, but I've rarely seen Matt get turned by anyone. I think Matt finds a way to win this match against the bigger man on his feet. McCutcheon by decision, 25-9 PSU.

285: Nick Nevills vs. Austin Schafer- I doubt this match will happen, as Austin has been in a walking boot for a few weeks and I highly doubt they risk any further injury here in a pretty much meaningless dual, especially if the dual is out of reach. So I'll take Nevills by fall, not over Schafer, but whomever the backup is at heavyweight for the Pokes. Nevills by fall, 31-9 PSU.

And there you have it. Of course, a mild upset here or there could make the match much more interesting, but after seeing what Penn State has done to the rest of the competition this season, I don't see enough upsets happening to give the Cowboys the victory. After being disrespected for most of the year, Penn State will FINALLY be the consensus #1 ranked team in the country in all the rankings.
nittanykid
Expert

Re: Penn State vs. Oklahoma State Prediction Contest

Postby John Henning » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:04 pm

I'm sure PSU will win handily.

Thought it might be interesting to point out how D3 Lehigh did compared to others on the PSU schedule. Actually, pretty good. PSU's closest duals were won by 13 and 15, then there was D3 Lehigh who won 3 bouts at 20 (tied with Ohio State). I dare say D3 Lehigh should be dropped from the schedule to avoid future embarrassment. What if they got even closer than most of the B1G teams did this year?
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." John F Kennedy
John Henning
Expert

Postby JAD77 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:28 pm

PSU 25 - OSU 12
PSU definitely the better team, though I think it will be closer than NitKid says.
JAD77
Expert

Postby nittanykid » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:00 pm

John Henning wrote:I'm sure PSU will win handily.

Thought it might be interesting to point out how D3 Lehigh did compared to others on the PSU schedule. Actually, pretty good. PSU's closest duals were won by 13 and 15, then there was D3 Lehigh who won 3 bouts at 20 (tied with Ohio State). I dare say D3 Lehigh should be dropped from the schedule to avoid future embarrassment. What if they got even closer than most of the B1G teams did this year?

Lehigh looked great against a Michigan team redshirting half their roster. Penn State's team is only going to be better next year and the year's that follow. Lehigh will never, ever, ever, beat Penn State again, nor will Lehigh even be competitive in those duals.
nittanykid
Expert

Postby John Henning » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Ever the gracious victor, eh?

Over 100 duals between the two schools and you make statements that encourage the death of college wrestling. Rivalries are what's needed and this one is one of the oldest and most traditional. Why you would root against it is a mystery to all. And don't say disingenuously that someone from Lehigh provoked you. That has always been bullcrap and you know it.
John Henning
Expert

Postby JAD77 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:59 pm

nittanykid wrote:
John Henning wrote:I'm sure PSU will win handily.

Lehigh looked great against a Michigan team redshirting half their roster. Penn State's team is only going to be better next year and the year's that follow. Lehigh will never, ever, ever, beat Penn State again, nor will Lehigh even be competitive in those duals.

Boy - you must be young. Never, ever, ever, say never. Cael has built a monster in Happy Valley, but things have a way of never staying the same. It wasn't that long ago that Gable had Iowa winning everything in sight. And it wasn't that long ago that Penn State and Lehigh were fairly evenly matched, and Lehigh drew far more fans than the fair-weather fans of Penn State. In fact, for the 10 years before Cael took over, I think Lehigh and Penn State split 5 matches each.

Enjoy it while you can - PSU is far and away the best now, and for the foreseeable future. But never say never.
JAD77
Expert

Postby nittanykid » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:55 am

John Henning wrote:Ever the gracious victor, eh?

Over 100 duals between the two schools and you make statements that encourage the death of college wrestling. Rivalries are what's needed and this one is one of the oldest and most traditional. Why you would root against it is a mystery to all. And don't say disingenuously that someone from Lehigh provoked you. That has always been bullcrap and you know it.

I have nothing but respect for Lehigh. They are far and away the best division 3 program in the country! :D
Seriously though, Lehigh is a solid program. I really like a lot of their wrestlers, especially Kutler and Weiler. I think they are both going to be dominant wrestlers for years to come. Whatever happened to Milonas? Is he done competing? I thought he had the biggest potential out of all the Lehigh recruits they've had under Santoro. I like that Lehigh is starting to recruit from Blair. That's smart. Recruiting mainly out of district 11 has hurt their program, as most of the recent wrestlers from the Lehigh Valley have not made good college wrestlers (Jordan Oliver being the one exception). Mike Labriola and Sammy Sasso will probably be the next two exceptions, but neither is going to Lehigh. c'est la vie. I think Lehigh should start trying to recruit more out of the WPIAL, as the elite wrestlers from district 7 have all been spectacular in college. Just seems like overall the top guys out of district 11 are horrible on their feet, and the top guys from the southwest are elite on neutral, and on top.
nittanykid
Expert

Postby John Henning » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

I consider you a 'casual' observer of Lehigh.....not every elite recruit should be recruited by LU because it is not a major state university that offers a wide variety of majors. LU has a graduate school in Education, but nothing undergrad like Phys Ed to major in. Every B1G school has those options so it is easier for them to slot athletes academically. That is not a knock. Just a fact. And not a complaint.

Lehigh was a finalist for Kemerer who landed at Iowa. We got Kutler. Hopefully they will fight it out in St. Louis. I do think Pat recruits all of PA but rarely signs WPIAL guys....not for lack of trying I'm told.

The new Caruso Complex is a drawing card for training. We have coach Buxton at LVWC. Lehigh does about as well as they can. My point with my post in this thread was to point out Penn State is murdering just about everyone this year...Lehigh held their own compared to others. We look forward to gaining ground, but with what's at PSU, that will be difficult.

IMO, PSU will dominate Okla State.
John Henning
Expert

Postby Wpial Bigot » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:41 pm

125 Dec PSU (3-0)
133 Major Okst (3-4)
141 Dec Okst (3-7)
149 Maj PSU (7-7) Score 14-4
157 Maj PSU (11-7)
165 Dec PSU (14-7)
174 Maj PSU (19-7)
184 Maj PSU (23-7)
197 Dec Okst (23-10)
285 Dec PSU (26-10)

PSU 26-10
Retherford 14-4
Wpial Bigot
Expert

Postby Legger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:26 pm

125 MDec PSU (4-0)
133 TFall Okst (4-5)
141 Dec Okst (4-8)
149 MDec PSU (8-8) Score 11-3
157 MDec PSU (12-8)
165 Dec PSU (15-8)
174 MDec PSU (19-8)
184 MDec PSU (23-8)
197 Dec Okst (23-11)
285 Dec PSU (26-11)
"Integrity is doing the right thing, even if no one is looking."
Legger
Expert

Postby Mullingar55 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:29 pm

Wow! Civility. Who'd thunk it?

PSU 29-12.

Zain 10-2
Mullingar55
"Newbie"

Postby JAD77 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:20 am

I forgot to post my 149 prediction. Retherford 6-3.
JAD77
Expert

Postby Legger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:05 pm

**** Flo is having troubles.
Legger
Expert

Postby JAD77 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Legger wrote:**** Flo is having troubles.

Big time.
JAD77
Expert

Postby Legger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:20 pm

**** The Biggest Match of the Year and They Blow it!
Legger
Expert

Next

Return to Penn State