WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Maryland 2018

Moderator: GAH

Re: Maryland 2018

Postby MadHatter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:31 am

Mixed results at the Roadrunner Open today. I was actually surprised to see the bulk of our lineup entered- given our issues with injuries and MFF over the years, I really thought only our 2nd stringers would go. But instead we got virtually our entire lineup, minus Diehl.

Hemida simply rolled through the tournament, going 4-0 with 3 pins, including one over Wisconsin's starter in the finals. I watched his semi and finals matches, and he hit just about everything- tilts, cradles, outside singles, doubles, throws, you name it. Against Stone, from Wisconsin, he essentially threw him around for 2 1/2 minutes before getting the fall.

Burnham also had a nice showing, going 5-1 (including 2 pins and 2 majors) to take third. As usual, the quality of these open tournaments is a crap shoot, but for a guy who got beat up pretty bad his first two matches, it has to be good for his confidence.

Spencer Woods went 3-2 to take 3rd, although a few of his wins were against JuCo and NAIA guys.

Ugalde managed to place 6th, after a MFF in his last 3. He lost to an NAIA wrestler to knock him down to the consolation round. Not a good sign.

Justin Alexander got his first matches of the year under his belt, and he had a busy day. He went 4-3, with, you guessed it, a MFF in the 5th/6th place match.

Very disappointing day for Cray. Less than 24 hours after knocking off a top-10 guy, he went 3-2 and didn't place. He lost to an Arizona State 2nd stringer, and an unattached wrestler who I have never heard of.

I was also hoping for more from Cochran, who went 2-2 and also didn't place.

We had another half dozen guys entered, but no one else made any real noise.

Of course no one takes these types of tournaments all that seriously. Plus, I imagine our guys were gassed after a cross-country flight (while cutting weight), and competing in a tough dual the night before. Still, this tournament seemed to lack serious competition; Wisconsin and Cal State Bakersfield look like the only D1 squads who brought most of their starters, and an NAIA school with 1000 undergrads placed 5th, only 6 points behind the Terps. I really think our starters should have been able to run the table on the CC wrestlers, 2nd stringers, freshman redshirts, and journeymen. Wisconsin brought 15 wrestlers, and 14 placed in the top 5. They had 9 finalists. So... yeah, aside from Burnham and Hemida, it was an ugly showing. All that said, we're still leaving California with a high quality win under our belts.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:23 am

Madhatter, as always-your analysis is really good. I'd say we had a pretty big win against Stanford on Saturday. They are not great but it's definitely a step in the right direction. Cray, Burnham and Hemida came up huge. I had written off Burnham after having gotten teched twice to start the season but beating Dallavia who was a legit top 50 recruit coming out of HS was huge. The good performance at the Road Runner should provide him confidence. Cray beating a senior All-American in Schram was obviously very big as well. Hemida is off to a real good start and shows his NCAA run last spring was not a fluke. Butler is a real tough senior as well who's been to the ncaa's several times. I see that Simmons is starting now at 133. I wonder if he beat out Doetsch, Doetsch is injured or if Kerry just feels that Simmons gives us the better opportunity to win at this weight. We've got some young guys there (Doetsch, Betroni, Vargas etc) so it will be interesting to see if one can become a legit starter or we still need to look to recruit that weight. I'm concerned that Jaron Smith didn't make the trip. He's a little injury prone so that would be my guess there. Woods did real well in his absence. Anyone have any word on Whisler and why he is out? Cappello is way too small for 197.
ne125
Expert

Postby MadHatter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Nothing to see here. Baby J completely dominated at the Mat Town Open, taking a little over 2 minutes to score 3 pins. A few of our backups and redshirts notched some nice D1 wins, which is always good. Not among them was part-time starter Spencer Woods, the only entrant who has seen action in duals this season, who went 0-2. Bannister is a top-15 talent, who is really wasting his time at these types of events. I suppose he needs to stay sharp and in shape though, and hopefully we'll see him next semester. More disconcerting is the absence of Whisler; if he has academic issues like Bannister, why isn't he attending these open events? He could use the experience and mat time way more than Baby J does. Yet another great Terp mystery...

Maryland travels to NW this Saturday. They have a handful of ranked guys- 125, 149, 184, and 275 (again). When I get a chance, I will try to write up a full preview... but for now suffice it to say that the Terps will have to wrestle over their heads to win this. And it goes without saying that they will also need their full lineup- including Jaron Smith, who missed the Stanford dual for undisclosed reasons.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:14 am

Yes, I hope Jaron is back this weekend and ready to go. The Northwestern match should be a good one. A real interesting battle will be at 125 with Cray going against Sebastian Rivera. If I remember it correctly, Cray beat Rivera in the state semi finals his junior year to go on and win his first of two NJ titles. Obviously, Rivera is doing really well and is ranked so hopefully Cray can pull out another one against him. It's always fun seeing highschool rivals battle it out at the college level. Another all-New Jersey battle will be Ugalde versus Sebastian. Sebastian, I believe a former UMD recruit, may be slightly disappointing so far in his college career but is still very capable. Jennings is ranked at HWT but I see Hemida winning relatively comfortably. Jaron vs Sliga should be a good one too. If Bannister is wrestling, him and Deakin will be a good battle too. WIsconsin is ranked 16th so that might be steep hill to climb but there should be some real good individual bouts such as Cole Martin vs Diehl. I wish Whisler was wrestling to see him wrestle another former UMD recruit in Hunter Ritter.
ne125
Expert

Postby MadHatter » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:50 pm

Jaron is not listed as a probable. So it looks like he's out. With Jaron not in the lineup, we are now down 4 of 10 starters from a few weeks ago. Seriously, reading over the lineups this morning, I felt like someone kicked me in the gut. I mean it seems like the program just doesn't give a crap if they win or lose.

You know, I was getting excited for the Iowa match on the 10th. My day is planned out, and I was looking forward to bringing my nephew to his very first match. But I just don't think I will go. What is the point if literally half our best guys aren't going to show up? I have no desire to watch Iowa steamroll our second and third stringers.

I have tried to stay upbeat and keep these forums alive and I just don't think I can do it any more.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Mad hatter, I hear you loud and clear. To echo your sentiments, in our 34-12 loss to northwestern, half of our line up were backups. If the team doesn’t care, why should we?
ne125
Expert

Postby MadHatter » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:44 pm

In other unsurprising news, the Maryland main site hasn't updated its stats or schedule in 3 weeks. The last matches that have listed results were the Campbell and Mason duals. I know I've brought this up before, and perhaps I am being paranoid, but for all intents and purposes, the UMD Athletic Department doesn't even seem to realize wrestling is a varsity sport. And I seriously question the departments commitment to the sport.

Part of me wonders if this practice of holding guys out of the lineup isn't some sort of tactic by McCoy to show perceived progress and/or success. It seems that McCoy is way more concerned with individual success, especially as it relates to B10 placing and NCAA qualification. Take last season for example. Diehl was out for the bulk of the year, and really only appeared as a starter at the tail end of the season. He managed to score a few upsets at the Big 10 tournament and land an NCAA spot, allowing McCoy to brag about our number of qualifiers, even though his season output and team contribution was minimal. Same thing with Bannister- he started for the early half of the season, against weaker teams. He then was taken out of the lineup for still unknown reasons, right as they hit the bulk of the difficult conference schedule, before reappearing (with no explanation) in late February. This allowed Bannister to slide into tournament season with an attractive record and decent seed placement. Again, call me a conspiracy theorist, but I see no other plausible explanation as to why we're down literally 50% of our starters at any given time.

I read an article a while back, talking about Josh Asper and the injuries he dealt with his senior year. In it is a quote my McCoy that I feel gives us a clue as to his mentality about mat time and injuries:

""That [layoff] might be a blessing in disguise," McCoy said. "Josh is still fresh, whereas other guys are starting to taper down."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terp ... story.html

If McCoy does indeed see injuries as a "blessing", so that his guys don't wear out, it was explain a lot.

Joke of a match against NW. And I will not be attending the Iowa dual. Too bad. My 7-year old nephew, who I was going to bring, is interested in wrestling, and perhaps an exciting match against a legendary program could have started to make him a lifetime fan...
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:09 pm

I tell you what, it makes this team very hard to follow or get into. With the plethora of missed in state recruits, to the awol starters and the general malaise that seems to follow this program it’s hard for even the most diehard fans to get into this team much less casual ones. Everyone can see this team has the best talent on it that we have seen in at 4 years yet we don’t get to see it ever for various mostly unknown reasons. NW was the only winnable conference dual and we only had a handful of starters. I guess Kerry is ok with another 0 for conference record .... again. I just don’t get how they expect fans to get into and support this program.
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby Terpfan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Are we as bad as these last two results seem to imply. I thought we could possible win the Northwestern match, and at least be competitive. I thought we would take our lumps against Wisconsin, but I didn't expect to get run out of the gym like we did. Has there been any word at all about Whistler? about Smith?

I really don't get it. It is not that we just not competitive it seems we are not recruiting at all, and the best wrestlers we do have in the program don't actually wrestle. A this point I want a coaching change now.
Terpfan
Novice

Postby meats » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Welcome to the club of disheartened Terps wrestling fans. Most of us came to that sad conclusion regarding the need for a new head coach quite some time ago and I am now sick of even discussing the subject. Yes it looks like yet another year with no conference wins. Perhaps, at this pace, of no recruits this year. Not even the ever popular PIAA regional placers. Remember those days not too long ago when we had wins over Cornell, Michigan, Nebraska, Lehigh, VT, UVA, etc. I actually believe we could be a legitimate and relevant DI program again with the right coach. Certainly getting more support from the administration would help. In the mean time we will continue to wander along, 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

I heard that Smith is gone for this season. Goodwin is finished and too bad for that kid could have truly helped. Rumor has it that Whisler has been injured, yet again, but may be back soon. Boy, could not have we used Wesneski at 197 thus far this year. On the bright side, you have to be impressed with Cochran as a true freshman . He knowns how to wrestle. And Hemida very well may be our first all American since Sheptock. Just finished watching Iowa vs Rutgers, now that was a fun match. Hang in there everyone but don't expect much until the right decision is finally made.
meats
Veteran

Postby MadHatter » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:13 am

fitzi22 wrote:I tell you what, it makes this team very hard to follow or get into. With the plethora of missed in state recruits, to the awol starters and the general malaise that seems to follow this program it’s hard for even the most diehard fans to get into this team much less casual ones. Everyone can see this team has the best talent on it that we have seen in at 4 years yet we don’t get to see it ever for various mostly unknown reasons. NW was the only winnable conference dual and we only had a handful of starters. I guess Kerry is ok with another 0 for conference record .... again. I just don’t get how they expect fans to get into and support this program.

This right here. Maybe Kerry is solely focused on the post season tournaments at the exclusion of everything else, but we fans are not. And ultimately, I don't really care that much about the number of wrestlers we sneak into NCAAs nearly as much as I do about the entire team's success from the first match of the season on. I would rather qualify 1 wrestler for the NCAA tournament and wrestle the full season with honor than send out backups while "saving" our top guys and protecting their records.

I'm sort of at a loss about the info on Smith. He was one of my 2 or 3 favorite guys to watch on the team, and he looks (looked?) like he has an exciting future. If he is done for the year, that will be back to back seasons he will have missed. Hard to make progress when you can't compete.

Agree with you on Cochran, Meats. He's doing well and wrestles like he actually wants to be there and isn't just going out to keep his scholarship intact. And Hemida looks better and better every week. At this point I would say that anything short of an NCAA placement will be a disappointment. I also still have hope that Cray will turn out to be a solid starter, even after his ugly loss at Wisconsin.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby TwoCrows » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 pm

We've won one bout in our last two outings.

Watching the Wisconsin dual I was surprised to hear Gibbons criticize some characteristics of the way the team wrestled. I've never heard that before. Kerry looked the most down I've ever seen him. I know he can't be happy with the way things are going. Whatever optimism I had after the Stanford match has been crushed.

I had to work today so couldn't go the Iowa match. The best thing about the match is that with all the falls and tech falls it didn't last too long. Stoll vs Hemida was definitely worth the price of admission! Oh, wait. Brands took a page from Kerry's book and forfeited it. Do I sound a tad disappointed? We've won a total of 7 bouts in 4 Big Ten matches (8 if you count Stoll's forfeit). We need to get Hopkins, McDaniel and Goucher on the schedule. If we were still in the ACC we'd be a cellar dweller there to. The best thing about home duals is Ficker's antics (which are an embarrassment -- at least put him in a mascot costume).

I still don't believe this can all be laid at Kerry's doorstep. Some of the blame I'm sure belongs on the athletic administration support, such as the funding for assistant coaches. Maybe now that Kevin Anderson is on the way out administrative support for the team will improve. And maybe I'll get down to the 157 of 50 odd years ago.
TwoCrows
Veteran

Postby Je1720 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:47 am

Anyone know why Cochran hasn't been starting the past two matches and Alexander has been out there...? It's clear who has the higher talent ceiling/potential out there on the mat. Sort of reminds me of how last year Boychuck and Alexander were splitting matches all year. I believe Kerry should make a solid effort to develop Cochran if he is serious about coaching a potential stud or another team will.

Tough spot the team is inand it makes it real hard to be a fan when half the team is out on any given match, and we are riddled with injuries. I hear Jaron smith is out the rest of the year along with Goodwin definitively and Whisler/Doetsch will be returning from injury around the new year. Again what's up with this injury bug that's hindered this team for years on end? I don't see nearly as many other teams getting injured , this has to be a result of the training.

Hats of to Hemida, the kid is wrestling tough and his success in the freestyle circuit this offseason has directly translated into some big wins. Ugalde wrestled a tough match against Iowa, a promising sign towards his mental attitude moving forward into the season. I'm trying to remain positive, but as long as Kerry Mccoy in the head coach of Maryland Wrestling, there will be no change. "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity" Mccoy is insanity for Maryland Wrestling.
Je1720
Novice

Postby mm55 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:21 am

This team is in a complete downward spiral. You can't blame the assistants because Kerry had this mess going well before he brought in Sheptock and a D3 guy. Santoro won with the same resources so money isn't the issue. To be honest since Sheptock came on he actually released the list of recruits they're targeting and is trying to do the most he can from his position. Maryland has to get his out ASAP so they csn attesct a qualified big 10 coaching candidate.
mm55
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:08 pm

fitzi22
Veteran

Previous

Return to BIG 10