WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Maryland 2018

Moderator: GAH

Re: Maryland 2018

Postby meats » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:46 pm

For those Maryland wrestling alums and fans that actually care about the program and want us to be relevant again I have the following comments. In the last 6 years, the dual results have gone from 15-1 to 14-8, 9-8, 5-15, 5-13 and 2-16 under the current head coach. That includes a dismal 1-26 in the B1G. After this train wreck, the AD extends the contract for 2 more years. I believe we are way past the point that kumbaya with unity and harmony will make things better. I feel bad for the current kids but I am not going make believe that if we just had more money, everything would get better. There is just so much more wrong with the manner in which the program is managed and has been managed for the past many years and all of this has been well documented by others in previous posts. It did take a quite a while to reach this sad conclusion. But here we are and I am not doing to pretend otherwise. So let's blame the fans, blame the lack of money , hell blame the locker room janitor, blame anyone but the guy that is in charge. I love this sport and care deeply about Maryland wrestling. That has not changed.
meats
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:08 pm

A bit of good news. One of my sources informed me that Lucas Byrd from Ohio has committed to UMD. He's only a junior so is in the class of 2019 but he is a stud. FLo has him #4 nationally at 113 and #30 overall in class of 2019. He also might be a career 25 which his very helpful. Who knows if Cray is a career 125 or destined for 133. It seems like Kerry is focusing on the 2019 class with him in pursuit of Brooks (delayed OTC year) , Ruth as well as Carter Sarocci. That said, I hope we get some early signing in a few weeks for the 2018 class. Also, it looks like Kerry announced wrestle offs for tomorrow I believe. One surprise is Ugalde at 174 though maybe this is his best weight. I was hoping Idris White would sneak in the lineup at 174 as I think Jaron Smith is due for a breakout year at 184. I see some of our studs are not participating in the wrestle offs like bannister and Goodwin so not sure If that means they are not able to participate right away or what. I see Diehl is in the wrestle off which is good news. Rutgers is 10 days away!
ne125
Expert

Postby MadHatter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 am

Wrestle-offs were this evening. I'm not really sure what we can take away from them, if anything. Years past have seen the winners of wrestle-offs end up not starting, while other years the presumed starters don't wrestle off at all and the matches are simply to determine the principal backups. It's a strange system that I don't fully understand.

Obviously many names were missing from the lineups tonight- Bannister and Alexander chief amongst them. We all have heard the rumblings of academic problems for both of them, and I was really, really hoping they were in error. I was also hoping to see Cray or Vargas in action, especially after Cray's redshirt season. For the 197 and 285 classes, we only have 1 guy on the roster for either slot :shock: , which would explain the lack of wrestle-offs for the spots. Can we assume that Ugalde and Smith are the starters at 165 and 184? Neither were in action tonight, although Smith is not alone at 184 and we have several 165's. Nice to see local guy Bertoni get a good win over a solid wrestler (Baxter).

Well, I guess we'll know the starting lineup when they take the mat against Rutgers next Saturday.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:28 am

Yeah, we are in a precarious situation if Whisler or Hemida get injured for sure. I didn't get to see the wrestle offs but yeah, it appears that maybe Goodwin and Bannister are out for whatever reason which is disappointing. I'd love to see us go into Rutgers with a full lineup because I think we could make it interesting. I am not saying we would win by any stretch but I think Goodwin vs Delvecchio would have been good one to see. Goodwin is inconsistent but he is certainly capable of beating Delvecchio. I like Cray but obviously Suriano is on a national championship level but it would still be interesting to see to former NJ studs battling out. It looks like Ashnault is hurt so it would've been interesting to see Diehl vs Ashnault. I think we would win at 49 with Bannister versus a former JUCO kid but we likely won't be seeing that match. Richie Lewis is in store for a high all-American placing so it would be interesting to see how Kyle Cochran would do against him. Obviously I don't predict Cochran to win but I think he will have a very good career for UMD as he's a hard nosed, mentally tough, scrappy kid-just a winner plain and simple. I thought Ugalde would be at 165 but now it appears it's Burnham. Burnham showed some potential two years ago as a starter as a true frosh but to be honest, had a very uneventful redshirt year last year. Ugalde would be going against Pagano, which is another battle of former NJ studs. Ugalde showed flashes last year and hopefully he can get to another level. Beating Pagano won't be easy though. I think Jaron Smith is due for a break out year though beating Gravina right now will be a huge challenge. That said, another interesting bout. I think Whisler beats former Terps recruit Mulligan. Whisler started off well last year, but faded a little which is more than understandable with his father's illness and all. He's talented so hopefully he can get back on track. I think Hemdia beats Gross though that'll be a good bout. I think Bertroni has potential to be our 133 pound starter next year. he's a scrappy/tough kid but obviously needs some college experience. I think it is interesting that Doetsch handled Jhared Simmons. I didn't see that one coming at all.
ne125
Expert

Postby Terpfan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:49 am

I am curious to know if we have any targets at Super 32 this weekend. It may be the premier prep show case for wrestling with the shattering of NCHSA's and Flow postseason. I hope Kerry and coaches are down there recruiting, better yet, for me as a fan would be the chance to follow a wrestler in his senior year and see what we can expect next year at UMD. Do we have any signings yet for 2019?
Terpfan
Novice

Postby JohnBrooks » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:03 am

Edmond Ruth is still alive in the consi bracket at 160 and Jordan Pryor, Dunbar HS, is in the championship 285 quarterfinals.
JohnBrooks
"Newbie"

Postby MadHatter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:14 am

Pryor is in the semis- he knocked off the #11 in the country to get there. Of course his stock will skyrocket now, and the big programs will start calling. Hopefully Kerry has put in some early work to get him locked in early. We desperately need help at the upper weights, and Hemida only has 2 seasons of eligibility left.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:01 am

I see Maryland has announced its lineup for Rutgers and both Goodwin and Bannister were omitted confirming rumors from earlier, but to my surprise Whisler was also absent from the list. Any idea what’s going on here? Our lack of depth at 197 has been well documented and if Whisler will be out for any amount of time that would be a huge blow to us. This team has some talent and the potential to be better this year than the past 3 or 4 but we just can’t afford to have 30% of the lineup out and expect great things.
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby MadHatter » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:42 pm

Yup, looks like we're down 3 starters. The good news is that in 2 of the slots we have capable, veteran backups. Whitesail is not a slouch, and he had some solid wins last season. Of course it's a drop off in talent from Baby J, but he will at least make a fight out of things. At 133, Simmons saw considerable mat time last year; option B is Doestch, who beat him in wrestle offs. Again, well below Alexander's level here, but I think we can count on either to not give up huge bonus points. 197 is a bigger problem- here we have a natural 174, who did not have a great season last yea, giving up tons of weight. I wonder if we may be better off giving a forfeit- such a disparity in size is a great way for someone to get injured.

No idea what's going on with Whistler. And, frankly, we never know with this program. It could be a nagging injury. It could be grades. It could be "personal issues". He could have left the team. Bottom line is I doubt we will ever get the full story; all we can do is keep our fingers crossed that it isn't serious. I suppose what concerns me most is that, up until now, Whistler has been a soldier- his dad was very ill all last season, and I don't think he missed a match.

The biggest shame here is that this promises to be a very high-profile event, and I'm sure the folks over at Rutgers are probably as disappointed as we are that MD is not bringing 3 starters. Rutgers is going all out on this one, they have been promoting this event for months, and everyone involved has been looking forward to a good, competitive match.

As far as individual matches go:

125: Cray gets a real test to start the year against one of the best and most dynamic 125's in the country. I think Cray stays out of major trouble, but just gets taken apart from neutral. Suriano by major.

133: DelVicchio is tough here; 2-time NCAA qualifier and was in R12 last year. This could be a war... if Alexander was starting. Sadly, both Doetsch and Simmons are not on his level. DelVicchio is not a pinner, and he doesn't rack up points, so I'm calling an easy but non-major win here.

141: Diehl gets Ashnault's backup here, Van Brill. Van Brill is inexperienced and carries few major credentials. I see this match as an early test for Diehl: if he comes out with guns blazing and scores a pin or tech, it's going to be a good year. If he holds back and wrestles conservatively and squeezes out a 5-3 win, it may be a middling season for him. I'm calling somewhere in between and going with a Diehl major decision.

149: Rutgers' DeLuca is a first year starter, and like Van Brill, he doesn't have much in the way of experience. This would be a win for Bannister- although possibly one of his patented 2-1 Criteria OT wins. This match is tough to call. Whitesail is more than capable of winning this match, he has more experience, and he has a knack for scoring pins. I doubt Whitesail can get the fall, but I think he comes out on top of a close one.

157: Cochran gets thrown to the wolves in his first match, as he draws a top-10 guy in Lewis. Time to see what he is made of. I know we're all high on Cochran, but I just can't call a victory in his first college match vs. a top-10 guy, so I'm calling Lewis be decision.

165: Burnham gets another Van Brill, but this one is an NCAA qualifier and a borderline top-20 guy. Burnham has a tendency to punch above his weight, but I think he is just outgunned here. Van Brill by major.

174: I know this is a cliché thing to say, but I see this as a make or break season for Ugalde. He was a high-level recruit, and he has not performed up to expectation. Last year he looked listless and seemed to be wrestling not to loose. The result was a subpar season, albeit one with lots of 1-, 2-, and 3- point losses. If he is going to turn a corner, now is the time- Pagano is another NCAA qualifier and top-20 wrestler. I may be going out on a limb here, but I have faith in Ugalde, and I think that he pulls the upset here.

184: This is probably the weight class I am most excited about. Smith had an explosive freshman campaign, where he took his share of lumps but also delivered some very unexpected wins. He was very productive in the off season, and has turned some heads on the national level. For two years we have been saying that he has the physical tools and just needs the experience to match. Well... the wait is over, and he has his work cut out. Gravina is yet another R12/Top-15 guy. Smith has proved that he can hit homeruns against top guys. Can he do it again? I say no... Gravina is too much of a grinder. That said, I think Smith keeps it close. Gravina by decision.

197: No Whistler here kills us. Mulligan, from Rutgers, is fairly inexperienced and is a first year starter. What a perfect opportunity to give Whistler some confidence going into the season. However, we're going with a backup who is giving up weight. I say Mulligan picks up the fall over Cappello.

285: Hemida gets Gross, a former NJ blue-chipper. I'm feeling pretty bullish on Hemida, after his performance over the final stretch last year. Plus, with a year of time to lift and put weight on, he should be ready to take the step. Hemida by fall.

If my math is correct, I have Rutgers winning 23-16.

All hypotheticals aside... I am looking forward to Saturday. Go Terps!
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby BP-LU87 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:06 am

For what it’s worth Baby J is registered for the Princeton open today according to trackwrestling
BP-LU87
Expert

Postby MadHatter » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:25 pm

It looks like the match against Rutgers went about as expected, with no real surprises. I missed the first 3 matches, coming in right as 141 was winding down. A few thoughts:

125: Suriano is one of the best on the country, and is a dark horse candidate to win an NCAA title this year. I was hoping Cray would keep it to a major, but I'm not overly concerned that he didn't.

133: Looks like Doetsch was just outgunned. He did manage to score a few, stayed out of big trouble, and kept it to a regular decision. Considering he is our backup, I can handle these results.

141: I caught the tail end of Diehl's match. It looks like I may have underestimated Van Brill, as he looked like a gamer- he also took a real gamble cutting Diehl with 30 seconds left. It just didn't work out for him. Side note- I wonder why they didn't include riding time on the scoreboard? If Diehl had the point locked up, it the cut would make more sense.

149: Whitesail was never really in this one. Disappointing; backup or not, I was feeling pretty high on him, and he was one of my sleeper picks for the season.

157: Cochran came out swinging against a top-tier, national level opponent. He put together a few decent shots, and countered fairly well. Alas, Lewis is simply a hammer, who attacked relentlessly. Still, for a first D1 match, I give Cochran props for not giving an inch.

165: As predicted, Burnham was just outclassed. Those tilts just killed him.

174: Self-congratulatory pat on the back here, as I called this upset. Ugalde still looks like he doesn't really want to be there... but that Granby/Peterson reversal for backs was nice. He also did a nice job maintaining control, especially at the end of the 2nd. I would like to see more energy from him, but it's a good start on the year.

184: Classic Jaron. Went big early and looked hard for the cradle. He shot well and often, but his finishes were lacking. He then gassed hard in the third, after the big reversal/near fall, and spent the last minutes more or less flat on his belly. Still- he showed off some nice stuff against a legit opponent.

197: Cappello was outclassed and outmuscled. He did well keeping it fairly close, although the takedown with 5 seconds left which gave up the major was tough.

285: Hemida spent the first period and a half taking half-hearted shots and tying up. He spent the second pushing for points, and even looked to go big towards the end. Alas, it's hard to get a pin when your opponent is built like a bowling ball and spends the last period trying to borrow into the mat. Good start.

So I was a tad off on my calls, and it looks like I may have been a tad generous to our guys. Ugalde certainly gets the Win of the Day award, and Diehl and Hemida did what ranked guys are supposed to do- beat people. Good efforts by Cochran and Smith. The jury's still out on Cray, as few wrestlers can keep it close with Suriano. If we had Alexander, Bannister, and Whisler in the lineup... who knows? Probably wouldn't have changed the overall outcome, but it would have been closer.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby KTG » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:27 am

BP-LU87 wrote:For what it’s worth Baby J is registered for the Princeton open today according to trackwrestling

looks like he took 2nd to Hayes from Ohio St, 7-6 loss in finals.
KTG
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:32 am

My thoughts…. Again, it’s painful to see that we don’t have a full lineup against Rutgers. This was a big match to start the season and not having Bannister, Goodwin and Whisler in the lineup killed us. I just don’t get it. The match was interesting at certain weights but would’ve been a great dual if we came with full strength. Beyond recruiting, this is by far my biggest gripe with the state of the program. Anyway, there is some good news. Our starting lineup, when and if at full strength, will be pretty tough. Unfortunately we are very thin in terms of depth. Case in point is having a backup 174 pounder wrestle at 197.
25-Would’ve liked to see Cray hang closer to Suriano but Nick is a complete animal.
33-I think Doetsch wrestled a very respectable match. He’s a scrappy young kid. I think Goodwin would’ve had a legit shot to beat Delvecchio in a one match situation.
41-Great match. That Van Brill is a goer for Rutgers. I talked to the Rutgers staff and they are real high on him. The kid had some big freestyle wins last spring. Diehl didn’t look his best but shows he’s dangerous as heck with that 5 point move.
49-I think Bannister will beat the Rutgers kid when and if they wrestle at the big ten.
57-Cochran has a great future, but he was outclassed by a senior who might be a NCAA finalist in March. Cocrhan looks scrappy but may need to develop some more offense on his feet. That said, hard to discern much because Lewis a stud.
65- Burnham got teched 15-0, not much to say other than to hope it was a real bad match. Van Brill is tough as nails but giving up a tech here was not a good sign.
74-Huge win for Ugalde in front of a jersey crowd about 10 minutes away from his hometown.. I think he’s in for a very nice year. He hit that big move (whatever the heck you call it) and that lead stood. This should be a bolt of confidence for him going into the season. He might be better suited for 174. He looked solid, wrestled smart.
84-Ugh Jaron. Smith looks big, strong, dangerous and more polished than we last saw him 2 years ago. He made Gravina looks small. He had that cradle locked up and might have ended up sticking him if Gravina didn’t call injury time. He was completely dominating and then completed faded in the second half of the match and the hard nosed gravina kept chipping away until he won decisively. Jaron Smith can be very very good if he can wrestle a whole entire match and wrestle smart (e.g.-be more stingy in the points he gives up)/
97-Cappelo is a back up 174, what is there to say? I think Whisler beats Mulligan. I hope he’s not out for long because him being in the lineup is crucial for the upcoming matches.
HWT- Hemida has a very legit shot to place. He’s getting better and better.
Good-Talented starting lineup when everyone is healthy. We are young too so could be good for several years.
Bad- Miscellaneous absences once again, Woefully thin/bad depth, no 2018 signings yet and the early signing period is in the next ten days.
ne125
Expert

Postby meats » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Always good to hear analysis from ne125, especially so when based on on-site observations. If and when we have everybody back (and that's a big IF with this program), it does sound like we have more talent than we have had in the last 5 years. Clearly, Rutgers is a legit top 10 program. They are really cleaning up on all that Jersey talent, combined with good program management. We are very thin and wrestling with backups will kill us. The other problem with a thin squad is who provides serious mat practice competition. I was hoping Cray would keep it closer but going against Suriano makes it tough to assess. Still, that was some beating and it is concerning. Gravina is a tough, experienced guy that keeps coming at you but Jaron has been wrestling all summer so I am disappointed he did not finish stronger in the 3rd. Let's face it, most B1G wrestlers we will face are tough, aggressive guys. Got to get a more from Cray and Jaron this season, fingers crossed. I agree with ne125, Cochran faced a stud in Lewis and a had a rough welcome to the B1G. But that's how you get better.

Very concerned about the fact we have zero commits going into November. I think NC State has 8 already. Most of the better 2018 kids are gone by now. I just do not get it.
meats
Veteran

Postby MadHatter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:48 am

I just realized that I have been referring to Goodwin as "Alexander", for at least a month. I guess it's the weight class thing. Sorry if I've caused any confusion.

Anyhow, last I'm going to comment on the Rutgers match. As several people have noted, we looked good from a talent standpoint, but we're seeing the same lineup problems that have plagued us in the past.

Just for shits and giggles, let's say we have Goodwin, Bannister, and Whisler in the lineup. I think that Bannister and Whisler are good for wins vs. their respective opponents; not guaranteed of course, but I feel it's safe money. Instead of 27-9, we're now 21-15 (I doubt we could have scored bonus in either of these matches). Goodwin is such an enigma- he racks up points, but lets opponents rack them up on him as well. He has gone toe to toe with ranked guys before, and DelVicchio didn't appear to be anywhere near invincible. I won't give Goodwin 50/50 odds to win... but almost. Regardless, you see where I'm going- at worst we're looking at a 6-point match, and possibly much closer. Instead of "Rutgers Flattens Hapless Maryland" headlines, we would be seeing articles about the young, upstart Terps, and how they took a top-10 team down to the wire.

And if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass a-hoppin. Bottom line is we didn't have 3 key starters, and we didn't keep it close. What a shame.

We get Campbell and George Mason this Sunday. Mason should be a cakewalk... emphasis on should because we somehow managed to lose to them a few years back. Campbell is a fairly tough team; no superstars, but fairly solid up and down.
MadHatter
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to BIG 10