WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Maryland 2018

Moderator: GAH

Re: Maryland 2018

Postby Je1720 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:11 pm

fitzi22 wrote:Solid post NE and great info from all in general. To add to that I hear that Goodwins disappearance last year was academic related again (remember he was unable to get into UMD and deferred enrollment) and that the issue isn't necessarily done with yet. This could possibly end up being another Shy Brown scenario but I hope not. So that pretty much completes our annual preseason checklist:
Below average recruiting class. - check
Weak current recruiting cycle - check
Random disappearance of a good wrestler (Hodges) - check
Good recruit who doesn't show due to grades (Malik) - check
Projected starter who is in academic limbo (Goodwin) - check
Major injury to a starter - just wait it's coming

All joking aside I made very similar posts the last 3 seasons.... very sad.

This just makes me think what on earth is Kerry doing as head coach for our wrestlers grade wise? Last year we lost shyheim(all season) and Diehl (half a season) to grade isssues. Now Goodwin and bannister? This is ridiculous and embarrassing on behalf of the coaches and program. You don't see teams like Ohio state , Pennstate etc ...with nearly as many academic issues.
Je1720
Novice

Postby ne125 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:24 am

are you saying that both bannister and Goodwin may not be wrestling in the first semester due to academic issues? Is this just a possibility or has it been verified? That would be a real shame.
ne125
Expert

Postby Je1720 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:37 pm

ne125 wrote:are you saying that both bannister and Goodwin may not be wrestling in the first semester due to academic issues? Is this just a possibility or has it been verified? That would be a real shame.

Yes this is verified, Bannister for this upcoming semester for sure and Goodwin for the remainder of his one year academic issue. (Not sure when it exactly started for Goodwin), but I imagine midway through the first semester since that is when Rappo began to start at 133.
Je1720
Novice

Postby MadHatter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:12 pm

So two of our better starters are academically ineligible? Seriously? How does this happen? Part of running a good program is assuring the student athletes fulfill their obligation to be at least adequate students and role models. This is especially true in wrestling, where no professional league exists; at least underperforming football and basketball players can fall back on the excuse that they're only playing college to prep for the professional leagues. In fact, a major factor for many athletes when deciding on where to compete is based upon which program will allow them to maximize their full potential- academic as well as athletic. So it looks like we're simply failing in all aspects.

Meanwhile, Penn State's super-studs are all academic whiz kids; Michigan has guys like Adam Coon in the aerospace engineering master's program, and Iowa has wrestlers who are borderline mentally ill manage to stay eligible and healthy for 4 straight years (looking at you, Thomas Gillman).

Right when I'm starting to feel good about our lineup, and right when I think I've seen it all...
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Yea I have no idea why we struggle so much with our grades. We talk an aweful lot on here about injuries but in all honesty academics has been more of an achilles heal than anything when you consider the # of recruits lost. UMD has never really had a problem with this until the last 5 years or so and I hate to blame Kerry for this since I truely believe academics falls almost entirely on the shoulders of the student, but I don't believe any other UMD team deals with this level of academic issues. Every year there are several starters and recruits who can't wrestle due to grades. As Madhatter said there was a ray of hope this year and now 2 of your best wrestlers are academically ineligible. Unbelievably frustrating. When will it end?
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby meats » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:22 pm

I believe most of us know when it will end. Until that time, us fans have to gut it out, support the kids and hope the change needed will eventually occur. Just think of the wrestlers that were recruited in just the last few years that have struggled academically...Diehl, Llopez, Hernandez , Brown, Goodwin and now Bannister. Very sad for them and the program.
meats
Veteran

Postby MadHatter » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:42 pm

Ripped from another board:

Oct 15th weekend University of Maryland Wrestling program will host Official and unofficial visits from Friday through Sunday.

Aaron Brooks SR, North Hagerstown, Cadet 76KG freestyle World Champ 3X NHSCA Folkstyle National Champion Fargo cadet Double Champion, Junior Freestyle Champion, 3X Maryland State Champion projects 184/197

Edmond Ruth JR Susquehanna township high school, 8th PIAA FR and PIAA Champion as a SO, NHSCA Sophomore National Champion, 6th place Fargo Cadet greco Projects 174/184

Jack Parr JR Saint Paul's MD #12 182 National prep 4th place, 6th Beast of the East placer, Maryland Preps state champion, NHSCA Sophomore National champion projects 197

Jordan Pryor JR Dunbar HS MD, MPSSA State Champion Projects HWT

Imran Heard, SR Saint Paul's MD, 3rd National prep, NHSCA, AA soph, Powerade placer. Md Prep State Champ. projects 149

Mitch Polito SR East Brunswick NJ, 3rd NJ States projects 125

Nice to see that see some recruiting movement.

Brooks would obviously represent the crown jewel of this recruiting class, OTC year or not.

Ruth would also be a great pickup, and he looks on track to emulate his brother. Remember, Ed wasn't s superstar until he landed at Blair his senior year. In fact, he was pretty much off the radar as a freshman and sophomore, before winning a small school PA title his junior year. Edmond won his first as a sophomore, but doesn't seem to be carrying any national-level accolades. If Maryland can get in now, before Penn State gets their dirty claws on him, we may have a shot at landing him. If we do, the name and exposure alone would almost be worth the effort.

Good to see the Terps in the running for Parr and Heard. Parr is a national-level guy who could make a real impact, and we've had little to no depth at 197 for years. Heard's accolades aren't quite at Parr's level, but he's no slouch. But the bigger thing for me is that St.Paul's guys are looking at the program and willing to sit down and talk- traditionally, St.Paul's has sent their wrestlers on to elite universities. Eiter is building a real powerhouse at St. Paul's; I think they've got 3 nationally ranked kids. And from what I've heard, they're winning the high school recruiting battles against McDonough and Mt. St. Joes for the top club kids in the state. A pipeline from a national level program to Maryland would be a huge boon. Think Christiansburg to Va Tech, Apple Valley to Minnesota, Graham to Ohio State and Wisconsin... and Blair to Maryland, back in the Santoro days.

Pryor won a state title as a sophomore heavyweight- not the easiest class for a 15- or 16-year old. If he can win 1-2 more, and elevate his stock via freestyle, he could be a real sleeper.

I don't know much about Polito, but single class NJ is one of the 3 or 4 toughest tournaments in the country, an a 3rd place finish usually means D1 talent.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:30 am

I saw the same thing. This is the first time I can remember UMD throwing out publicly specifics on who is visiting and when. As for the visitors, I think Brooks has wrestled himself out of UMD. He is one of the top guys on the board now and actually reminds me of snyder in his rapid accent, international accolades, training at the OTC. I understand Kerry has been recruiting him hard and his family likes UMD but when it comes down to brass tacks the only schools that can further his developement are okie state, Iowa, PSU and tOSU....... not UMD. Edmund Ruth would be an excellent recruit but once again it will be a tall order to get him. PSU is his home state school that competes every year for titles and his brother was a legend there starting their renaissance. UMD can only guarantee a starting spot at whatever weight he wants and tons of Under Armour gear. The others guys would be fine recruits but not top end guys that we need. UMD mainly looks for the next sheptock or asper..... guys who are real good wrestlers that just need a little seasoning or weightlifting to move into that great level.
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:11 am

This is interesting. What board did you get this from? Regardless, I don’t think it’s a bad strategy putting it out there that good recruits are visiting your campus. I see how FLO talked about all these blue chip studs were visiting Virginia Tech’s campus recently. I don’t think recruiting is a big secret these days, especially in the age of the internet. In football and basketball recruiting, it is highly followed and reported on. I saw that Flo had an article with Brooks where he stated that UMD was one of his top 5. Again, the issue with him (besides the fact that there is elite competition for him) is that he is going to OTC first. So he’d be two year from stepping onto campus. I know that Brooks and his family are close with the staff but will it be enough to keep him in-state? You just have to wonder what elite coaches at the OTC would be telling a kid about his best chances for NCAA and international success. I wonder if he verbals this fall or waits until he’s at the OTC. Edmund Ruth is/will be a stud. He’s also two years out though as he’s only a junior. I imagine a ton of top programs will be after him as well. That said, it’s good that we are making a run at these types of guys. I didn’t realize it but it looks like St. Paul’s is producing some studs these days. I knew Eiter was doing a good job there but didn’t realize the amount of talent they were getting. I hope him and Kerry are on good terms so that we have a chance at some of these guys. McHenry is most likely PSU bound from what I hear but Heard and Parr are not chopped liver and would be nice additions to our program. Practices should be starting about now with the first meet a month off. I’m interested to see what our lineup looks like when we debut in Yankee stadium. Again, on paper- we’ve got our best starting lineup in years but based on some poster comments, we MAY be without some studs in the first semester which would be really disappointing. We aren’t beating Rutgers but I’d like to think we could make it interesting with a complete lineup. As usual, there isn’t a lot of room for error with this team and if people are injured or academically ineligible, then we’re in trouble. Hoping for the best.
ne125
Expert

Postby MadHatter » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:25 pm

ne125, I got that info from the MSWA site: http://www.marylandwrestling.org/forum/ ... 09883bfe08

Not sure about its veracity, but I have no reason to disbelieve it.

I agree with you guys about Ruth- I simply see no way that Penn State doesn't land him. The only two scenarios where he goes elsewhere would be if A) He "doesn't want to live in his brother's shadow", or B) They have so many super studs lined up that they just don't have the roster or scholarship space for him. Of the two, I feel the latter is a better possibility, and its actually a fairly legit one. Remember, virtually every single Penn State starter was one of the top 4 or 5 guys in his weight class coming out of high school, and their next recruiting classes are simply loaded.

St. Pauls is quickly gaining a great reputation. They were in and out of the national top-50 last year, and they should easily break into that group this season. And from what I've read, they are locking down top boy's club recruits right and left. Truth told, I have been looking forward to a Maryland program getting some legit national attention. Granted, McDonough, Mt. St. Joes, Good Council, and St. Pauls have all broken into the top 50 over the last 15 years or so. But with the exception of the 2007 McDonough squad, which was ranked in the top 15 and nearly beat a loaded St. Eds squad, none have risen higher than 40.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:17 am

Looks like Hemida and Jaron smith had a good day at the U23 world team trials. Smith in particular, wrestled extremely well. he teched Garrett Lineberger (d2 national champ), beat Nate Jackson (multiple time AA for Indiana), lost to Myles Martin 7-4, then Pinned lineberger before getting teched by Pfarr. If he can stay healthy and improve a little one his feet, he could have a big year for us. Hemida teched Mike Kosoy (former NC State D1 qualifier) before being teched by Kroells from Minnesota. Not bad at all. Anyway, official practices are underway in college park. Here's to a year of health for our terps wrestlers.
ne125
Expert

Postby JohnBrooks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 pm

The list has been updated since the 1st post. Our family does like UMD and the coaches. What UMD needs is $ flowing into the RTC so Kerry can bring senior level partners in. The kids will come!!

Oct 15th weekend University of Maryland Wrestling program will host Official and unofficial visits from Friday through Sunday.

Aaron Brooks SR, North Hagerstown, #1 170 in the country, #1 76KG in the world as ranked by UWW, Cadet 76KG freestyle World Champ 3X NHSCA Folkstyle National Champion Fargo cadet Double Champion, Junior Freestyle Champion, 3X Maryland State Champion projects 184/197

Edmond Ruth JR Susquehanna township high school, 8th PIAA FR and PIAA Champion as a SO, NHSCA Sophomore National Champion, 6th place Fargo Cadet greco Projects 174/184

Jack Parr JR Saint Paul's MD #12 182 National prep 4th place, 6th Beast of the East placer, Maryland Preps state champion, NHSCA Sophomore National champion projects 197

Jordan Pryor JR Dunbar HS MD, MPSSA State Champion Projects HWT

Imran Heard, SR Saint Paul's MD, 3rd National prep, NHSCA, AA soph, Powerade placer. Md Prep State Champ. projects 149

Mitch Polito SR East Brunswick NJ, 3rd NJ States projects 125

Carter Starocci JR, Erie Cathedral Prep. will be coming this weekend as well. He is a PA State 8th as a fr., 2nd as a soph,double Fargo cadet champ this year, project 184/197

Nathan Thacker SR Gonzaga prep. projected college 174. Beast of the East placer, 3x national prep All-American, 3x D.C. champion. 2x prep slam national champion
JohnBrooks
"Newbie"

Postby randypl21 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 pm

You guys are hilarious... sky is always falling... it's amazing to me how a large number of those that post, squat and constantly shit all over the program... Maryland just sent two guys to u23 and do well, they have 3 or 4 guys pre ranked and all you want is the coaches heads... have some pride and support your alma mater regardless and stop bitching about shit on the forums... pick up the phone and call Kerry... ever think that the reason we haven't landed the top blue chips is because of all the hating everyone does in these forums... keep shooting the legs out from under the table... also looking back at previous years forums pretty sure all these kids that have academic issues were broaderline or below board for getting into md with their hs grades in the first place... so it should be surprising that these coaches have kept these kids in school... also pretty sure Goodwin was not academics more performance enhancers from last I heard but regardless not having those two in the line up until after Jan is probably better for them anyway who the heck cares about duals anyway...cya in march...
randypl21
Veteran

Postby mm55 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:31 pm

I'm half with you on this. People need to support the program but also shouldn't settle for below mediocre results from a program that was once ranked in the top 20. The program needs to be properly funded to provide assistant coaches a higher pay thus being able to bring in the nessassary coaches to be successful on the mat as well as the recruiting trail. This is where the fans and alum need to step up.

However Kerry took over a program Santoro build from the ground up and had them as high as a top 15 team if I'm not mistake and let it slip to obscurity. Kerry getting a one year deal is ideal for himself and the fans. Expectations are higher than they've been in a while. However the past years have been brutal. It frustrates fans to get a blue chip and probably lose their 2nd choice guy to another school bc the blue chip signed,to in turn see the blue chip never step foot on campus. He should have seen these problems ahead of time with grades. How many times do you hear about competent coaches or any others in the D1 landscape recruit guys thst can't get in their school? Kerry isn't social media Davy and is a horrible promoter of the program. That's not even mentioning a former Olympian has a pitiful RTC and no real hopefuls. Why would Aaron Brooks or McHenry go there knowing he can't help their Olympic dreams?

Let's be realistic,Kerry can't recruit. Eiter was brought in to recruit for him and he saw some of them already leave. She pock learned from Acevedo and is treating this like how a D1 coach should. I'm saying thst because recruiting press releases were never done before about upcoming recruits. When Jason Borelli took over Stanford the recruiting got better but realistically he was the man behind the certain getting in guys not Kerry. It's one thing to be optimistic these guys are visiting and mentioned them on a short list but being a NJ guy and seeing NJ lose alot of blue chips over the years to other schools with Rutgers on their shortlist is frustrating.

So with all that honesty,not negativity Kerry will prove if he figured out how to win at Maryland or if they need a shot in the arm and hire an outside candidate.
mm55
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:23 pm

Randypl21, thank you for your interest in the success of the program. To see that 80% of your posts in the last 18 months have been towards Maryland wrestling is quite refreshing. I posted earlier in this thread (as I do every year) the link to Friends of Maryland wrestling which directly financially benefits the program. Incase you missed it while pumping out your trolling response here it is again http://www.terpswrestling.com/FOW2017.pdf, I donate every year do you? If recruits are truly scared off by facts being posted on an open forum, then they will never make the grind of the Big Ten and should probably go to some throw away program like F&M, the same F&M that you lambasted a few years ago for their coach not being successful enough and lack of fan support and so on. It’s very hypocritical to slam coach Schuyler, calling for him to be replaced and then feel you can bash others for asking similar questions. But thank you again for your continued interest in the program.
fitzi22
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to BIG 10