WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Maryland 2018

Moderator: GAH

Maryland 2018

Postby Terpfan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:34 pm

I am anxious about this upcoming season because in many ways I know nothing about it. There is no buzz, no nothing. I waited for an announcement about a new head coach, for this season and heard nothing. Another board member on here said that Kerry had been retained for another year, but scanning the MD site and the news I could not find that announcement. Other programs have picked up some remarkable assistants for the new year. Nothing said for MD. I did see that McCoy's salary was a bit low (IMHO) at 140K and Sheptock's was very low.

I have heard no offseason accolades for the incoming class of 2017 Kyle Cocheran, Hunter Baxter, Danny Bertoni, Mansour Malik,Shawn Mosca, Quinn Devanney. Is is just me but are there really no 285 recruits coming in. (I know Malik is listed at 285, but when i have seen him wrestle he is closer to 197. Will there really be another year in the MD room with only Hermida as hvwt?

Someone please give me some reason for optimism. Any rumors of walkons, transfers, new coach etc. I am losing faith.
Terpfan
Novice

Re: Maryland 2018

Postby fitzi22 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Terpfan, if you are looking for optimism your best bet would be reading Testudo Times propaganda. A realistic assessment of the program...... Kerry has never been able to recruit a good assistant coach in 10 years, so I think most of us on this forum have taken that and a new car with the big bow on it off our Christmas lists. As for for off season accolades, I have noticed this has been a trend with UMD lately. There must be a restriction on the incoming freshmen. I don't think it's anything to worry about at this time. I could definitely see us adding a walk on heavy before rosters are announced, although Hemida would still remain as the only serviceable heavy on the team.

The bigger question is the retention of Kerry McCoy. This is a serious non committal move by the AD. If you have faith in Kerry you give a contract of 3-4 years. If you don't have faith in him you allow the contract to expire and start over. To give him a one year contract that goes completely unannounced to fans is weakness of the worst kind.

As we are currently built we will be reasonably competitive (maybe even a .500 dual record.... how's that for some optimism) over next 2 years. There should a few good guys that will even be competitive on a national level. But we will still be in the bottom half of the Big Ten and the same lack of recruiting that made this pathetic mess we are in is taking place right before our eyes again. 3 years from now you will start to see another major lack of talent and drop in production. The only way to stop this will be a renewed commitment to the wrestling program by UMD's AD and hiring a new head coach while also expanding assistant salaries at the end of this next season. Unfortunately I don't think they know what kind of program we will be. My hopes and dreams are that we aspire to be Nebraska or Michigan. But my gut tells me UMD will go cheap and we will aspire to be MSU, Indiana , and Purdue or even worse.

I understand you are losing faith..... we all are or have already. Personally I have followed this program for years, wrestled for it, supported it financially and suffered through good times and bad. But this is embarrassing. I have one foot out the door and will probably slide the other one out if nothing is done after this season. I still have shred of hope for this program but it is fading fast. Go Terps!
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:29 pm

Hello all. After a 2 month hiatus, we're back. As usual, I'll try to be optimistic where I can. Anyway, Kerry sent out an email that he got a 2 year extension. That's hardly a ringing endorsement but I'm sure Kerry was happy to sign it after winning one big ten match in 3 years. I get the sense that Anderson is ambivalent about wrestling and was leaving his associate AD, Tyler Marriucci, in charge to deal with the most of the wrestling program decision making. Marriucci told two (if not more) alumni that they will take a thorough look (for lack of better words) at the program and determine Kerrys future. I believe those alumni may have expressed the need to better fund the assistant coaching positions as a key means to become more competitive regardless of whether Kerry was the coach or not. I think their main goal was to make sure that the administrators know that there are a lot of fans and alumni who care about the program and want to know how the administration will better support the program so we become more competitive versus saying whether Kerry or someone else should be the head coach. It's obvious that lack of funding in the Assistant positions is holding us back big time. Marriucci didn't show his hand one way or the other but said he was aware of concerns amongst fans and alumni. I guess that's not earth shattering given the obvious struggles we've faced with our move to the big ten. Next thing you know, good old Marriucci bails to San Diego State right at the end of the season and Anderson punts the decision to his successor ( I don't think Anderson will be around in two years ) by giving Kerry a lame 2 year extension. I have heard recently that there is going to be a much needed shake up on Kerrys staff so be on the lookout for that news by the end of the summer. I like all of our staff personally but it's been so frustrating seeing every one of our peers add studs to their staff left and right. I'm not advocating getting rid of of everyone but shaking things up so you bring in a stud volunteer assistant, director of operations, admin or head club coach. I see many of these programs having 5 or 6 coaches on staff with these bull crap titles and are able to get young NCAA champ or all American types who can beat up on wrestlers in the room but we're in status quo mode with our 3. Anyway it looks like there will be some changes which is good. I do think we can be better this year and next year. We've got a young nucleus that has the potential to get us to a higher level. I'm worried that recruiting is starting to tail off with Eiter gone. We are bringing in cochrane who is a stud. Malik has potential but kind of plateaud this year. Betroni is solid but as you know we need a lot more than that to get a lot better. It's mid July and Kerry hasn't announced any spring signings (sigh) so I don't expect anything but your run-of-the-mill prep national placer types that typically fill out our classes. Anyway, the good news is a lot of our guys have been wrestling freestyle and have had some success. It also looks like Goodwin is back. I know many alumni want to support Kerry but are not buying into raising money for the Terrapin wrestling club that has had some real dead weight on the payroll in the past few years. Some of the people collecting a check are not helping to improve our program to put it kindly. That is the reality. You throw in the bad performances over the past 3 years and it's hard to get people motivated to help. I know some alumni have tried but their message and communication pattern has been inconsistent. Here's our best potential lineup that should be better, potentially top 9 in the big ten if injuries don't occur (which always happens)

25- cray (fr)
33- goodwin (sr)
41- Diehl (jr)
49- bannister (jr)
57- Hodges (so)/ ugalde (so)/ Alexander (sr)
65- cochrane (fr)
74- Ugalde (so)
84- Jaron smith (so)
97- whisler (so)
Hwt-hemida (jr)

We've got good depth too with white , beck, gerish, burnham etc I heard recently that Rastrepo may have a career ending injury and hunter Lucas might be transferring back to Ohio somewhere
Last edited by ne125 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 10 times in total.
ne125
Expert

Postby John Henning » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Sadly, not a pretty picture. Need a star recruit or two. There has to be someone in the state of Maryland with D1 talent and NCAA place potential.....camp out on his door step and sign him.
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." John F Kennedy
John Henning
Expert

Postby Terpfan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:13 pm

There are two. Brooks at North Hagerstown is a senior and double Fargo Champion. Kurt McHenry at St. Paul's would be a stud at 125. I am sure there are others not coming to me now.
Terpfan
Novice

Postby ne125 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:22 pm

Brooks and McHenry are definitely two elite guys from in state and my guess is both are an extreme long shot to be in college park someday. Until we upgrade the program, that is the reality. Also in- state Maryland kids don't tend to have a lot of loyalty towards university of Maryland in general if you look at history
ne125
Expert

Postby John Henning » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:35 pm

ne125 wrote:Brooks and McHenry are definitely two elite guys from in state and my guess is both are an extreme long shot to be in college park someday. Until we upgrade the program, that is the reality. Also in- state Maryland kids don't tend to have a lot of loyalty towards university of Maryland in general if you look at history

>>>>> Well....that is fixable. The campus is awesome. The football and basketball teams are drawing fans and TV coverage. If wrestling could draw 400 fans that would be a start. Kerry is a good human being, a former Olympian and a champion in his own right. Why wouldn't a kid living in-state want to rep the major state school? Come on now. Start talking your program up instead of critiquing. Show up at duals. Fund the club. Get the former team members back.

There is no doubt it will take a sales job, but that's what coaches are--salesmen.
John Henning
Expert

Postby meats » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:25 pm

John H. : Kerry has been a "good human being and a former Olympian " since he arrived at College Park 10 years ago. It hasn't helped. What he is not is a good, effective D1 Head Coach. After a decade now of continued mediocrity (just look at the record the last 6 years for pete's sake), it was high time for him to go. However, even with those pathetic results, the AD extends him 2 more years. My God, how could he do that? That spoke volumes for me and it said Anderson could care less about wrestling. ne125 summed up this drama a few posts ago very succinctly. The right guy at the top of the wrestling program could do wonders at College Park no doubt. That is the "fix" we need. Everything else is window dressing.
meats
Veteran

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:46 am

The key lies in the state song"Maryland, My Maryland". Written in the early days of the Civil War, the author was outraged at the news of Union troops being marched through Baltimore and articulates Confederate sympathies. The few Terps wrestling fans left should be equally outraged by the current state of this woeful team.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby John Henning » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:40 am

Division 1 wrestling doesn't have enough teams left that we as fans can publicly trash one of the true heroes of our sport. Asking publicly for someone to be fired is untoward. As a fellow LIer, Kerry will always have my vote...along with the years he spent at Lehigh under Greg Strobel where he grew up as a coach while training for the Olympics. The real issue is the surreal rise of PSU and Cornell in the east....that and Rutgers keeping more and more of their talent home. UMD is feeling the squeeze. So, yes, perhaps a change is warranted, but an infusion of cash into the program would do wonders. It wouldn't hurt to have the normal sized B1G coaching staff and facilities.
Give the head coach the tools and then decide.
John Henning
Expert

Postby Terpfan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:05 am

I agree that more money would be helpful, but for peet's sake we are a fully funded D1 BigTen wrestling team and we have trouble beating teams that are not. I think he is a good coach, but it is hard to tell from afar. I think the evidence is that he is not a good recruiter. The other aspect of the team that is frustrating as a fan is its general invisibility. There never seems to be any buzz around Maryland. It is difficult to determine who is on the team or not, who may be starting, or even an explanation about a lineup move. As someone on the stands, you wish there was some communication. I know personally that I have been watching matches and wondered what is going on with Brown. what kept Deihl out of the lineup? why did we medically forfeit out of the final rounds of tournaments. I am a fan and will stick with the team, but give us something. Hell, there was not even a public announcement about the coach being retained. Who wrestled where in the offseason? It should not be hard for someone to update their twitter feeds and website.
Terpfan
Novice

Postby John Henning » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:22 am

Volunteer your services to Kerry.
John Henning
Expert

Postby meats » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:57 pm

John H. : You certainly are entitled to your opinion. I have been a loyal Maryland wrestling fan for many years now, attended most home matches and some aways. Went to prep matches to follow potential Terp recruits. Contributed financially to the program and have been living and dying Terp wrestling. What is at stake here is the future existence of that program. As I have stated previously, it gives me absolutely no pleasure to come to the conclusion that we desperately need a head coaching change. But no one individual, no matter how likeable or revered by some, is more important than the program. Coaches come and go in all sports. Such a change is now overdue. Way overdue. Until then, I will remain a Terp wrestling fan but a far more subdued one who is losing hope for the future. A compendium laying out the case for a coaching change has previously been provided on this forum by others far more knowledgeable than me.
meats
Veteran

Postby John Henning » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:06 pm

I understand. You make compelling points. You guys know your program better than me.
I admit to being bias toward Kerry. Hopefully, things start going your way near term.

As for UMD dropping wrestling....I tend to doubt it considering the ACC has so many good teams. I sure wish Syracuse would re-instate.
John Henning
Expert

Postby ne125 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:18 pm

John, I don’t think any terrapin fan will disagree with you that Kerry is a very good guy, great ambassador for our sport, wrestling legend, smart, represents our program well etc. etc. etc. The program has just had a real bad run results wise over the past few years and naturally fans get frustrated. There is no other way to spin it. Meats and I saw this coming 5-6 years ago when recruiting started to really lag (when was the last time Maryland signed Long Island Stud)...think about it. At the end of the day, that’s what It boils down to. If you can get elite guys, you’re going to be successful. It seems like we’ve been finalists for numerous real good guys but haven’t closed the deal. I’ve heard Kerry is too nice and he is going up against some sharks who will do anything to secure a commitment. Who knows. We’ve had many walk-on types starting and it killed our teams year in and year out from a dual meet perspective. What has hurt is lack of continuity at the head assistant position. Since Beckerman left, we had a revolving door of top assistants. I think Eiter was a very solid top assistant but he moved on and it’s my understanding that the assistant coaching compensation needs to be upped by the athletic administrators at UMD. We might be in a holding pattern in that regards until Kevin Anderson leaves (which may not be too far out). I do think the team will be much improved over the next 2-3 years so hopefully we can get some momentum back and it will trickle down into recruiting. I am hoping we get a good addition to the staff this summer. As for helping Kerry, it’s tough to solicit help, money and resources when you are performing so bad. One alumni reached out to me about potential donations , however, it’s not clear what the benefit is when we are bringing on terrapin wrestling club ‘employees’ or ‘aspiring Olympians’ who aren’t really adding value. For instance, we have had guys on the TWC payroll who were anywhere from disappointing to mediocre wrestlers at UMD. How is that going to move the needle? Admittedly we’ve had guys like Obe Blance and Montell Marion are a lot better than that but they’ve been gone for a while. I feel people would give if we were performing better and we had TWC athletes who can really enhance the level of wrestling in the room. The communication for fund raising needs to start from the top and I haven’t seen it besides an annual brochure. Also, I am sure the program is on steady ground in terms of survival as all big ten schools sponsor wrestling, the athletic department is walking into a wind fall of money over the next few years for moving to the big ten and they already cut like 8 programs a few years back. That shouldn't be a concern. However, hopefully a new AD will invest more of it into wrestling. In the meantime, I wish we could see more of a sense of urgency from Kerry. Tell us fans how you are going to make us better. The plan to make us relevant needs to be communicated from the top. Generic updates aren't helping. It wasn't long ago that we were one of the programs on the rise nationally. If Kerry tells us how he will lead us back there, then I'm sure people will sign up to help.
ne125
Expert

Next

Return to BIG 10