WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Eiter and Catullo moving on

Moderator: GAH

Eiter and Catullo moving on

Postby ne125 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:42 am

I just confirmed today from a good source that Rob Eiter and MIke Catullo are moving on to new opportunities. That leaves two coaching positions open on the main staff and who knows who the club coaches are now because I don't think they are bringing Frank Goodwin back. Eiter is a big loss in my opinion as he was a real good recruiter and an overall asset to the program. I heard he is going to coach at the high school level as well as work in another professional opportunity. I am not sure where Catullo is going at this point. Best of luck to both of them. I guess we'll see who fills these spots and hopefully Kerry has a plan. I hope recruiting doesn't suffer too much in this transition because I know Eiter in particular did a lot of the recruiting for the program (as well as Kerry obviously). Crazy times in college Park for sure.
ne125
Expert

Re: Eiter and Catullo moving on

Postby fitzi22 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:18 pm

Wow. Catullo handled most of the production/technological aspects of the program (social media/website/promotional video) and was a multiple time national award winner for those contributions. He was also the hands on guy on the coaching staff, constantly rolling around with the guys and also frequented this website. Eiter added significant legitimacy to the coaching staff taking on many of the day to day responsibilities and a bulk of the recruiting. He stabilized a chaotic position for the Terps in recent years. Both of these men will be missed and I really do wish them well.

So where does this leave the Terps. We were surprised the Terps hadn't made any coaching additions and now here we are in mid June looking for an entire new coaching staff. Are these drastic measures by Kerry to shake things up and save his job? If so then who could we realistically get at this juncture? Or is this the beginning of the end and we are seeing prople jumping off a sinking ship? At any rate I truly believe this recruiting cycle will be aweful (yes worse than average) due to Kerry's limbo situation and the fact that we really stink. So don't sit by watching the recruiting ticker hoping we land a monster recruit this offseason that will turn our fortunes around because it just ain't gonna happen. It will be interesting to see where we go from here. If we land a big legitimate name I think Kerry has one last chance to turn this around. If we land a Carr Jr type, it's time to pack it up. Finally something interesting to talking about/ look forward too. Thank you NE I was starting to loose my mind. Go Terps!
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:37 pm

No problem Fitzi, I know the summer time wrestling news is pretty slow but this is a pretty big development. Every coach knows that Kerry is in limbo status so will be using that angle to against him to recruit. As fans, we need to just ride out the storm and see what happens this season and more importantly after the season. It will be interesting to see who Kerry gets as his top assistant with his future cloudy. I've heard who may be coming back as a second assistant but won't say anything for now in case that is a situation still being negotiated. I think Catullo obviously made a lot of very good contributions to the program but it's so important to get a recent graduate with a big name to be a leader in the room, be a great workout partner and also help attract recruits. By and large, recruits don't know guys in there mid to upper 30's. Catullo has many strengths but that doesn't fit his description. Eiter was very good in all aspects of coaching in my opinion but I am not sure how much he could work out at his age. I think Catullo had an option to stay on the staff in some capacity but decided to look for something else. that's my guess atleast. The spring recruiting announcement should be coming out soon enough but I am not too optimistic. You need to have success to attract recruits.
ne125
Expert

Postby Terpfan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:51 pm

Thanks for the news. It is tough to read this as either good or bad. The good view I guess would be that the last two seasons have been terrible, and getting some new fired up name coaches is a good thing. . . . except that we don't know who those new coaches are. Maryland seems to have a tendency towards secrecy with its program as information about it is very hard to find. I hear that Eiter was a good recruiter, but don't see any evidence of that on the team. If the rumors in the Maryland private schools are true he may find himself recruiting middle schoolers for emerging powerhouse St. Paul's. The bad news is that even though this is Coach McCoys walk year still is not making much of a splash to breath some life into the program.
Terpfan
Novice

Postby fitzi22 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:47 pm

Ok so now that NE's rumor of the assistant coaching vacancy has been officially confirmed with an announcment on the UMD website (nothing against you NE you always have solid info very early on), who do you suppose are the top candidates? I do find it strange we list a major vacancy like this unless we are required to do so. One would think you could fill a big ten head assistant job with a fantastic coach within a few phone calls. So let's get everyone's best guesses because this may very well be the most exciting thing that happens in terp country this year. Go Terps!
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby meats » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:26 am

I don't recall seeing such notices before, it's even listed on the Intermat front page. Just seems odd. I am assuming and ,quite frankly, hoping this will be Kerry's last year as HC. As such, whomever comes in does so with some clouds over their heads. I just cannot imagine a plausible scenario where Kerry is given another contract. Yes, a few phones calls normally should do it. I do agree completely with you that this will be about as exciting as it gets. How sad. It's the big announcement at seasons end from the AD's office I am waiting for. I hear there are some new kids to be added to the roster for next year and maybe, eventually, us fans that care will be so informed. It's almost July for pete's sake.
meats
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:58 pm

Interestingly enough, I think they may very well be picking Kerrys successor. This has the feel of the AD doing the hiring and not Kerry. The athletic department could be hiring someone with the intention of grooming them to take over the program if Kerry's team lays another egg. I think there are a number of top assistants ready to take over programs that would jump at the opportunity. Donny Pritzlaff and Lou Roselli come to mind immediately. Both are coaches in the big ten, have excellent resumes, and have reached the absolute ceiling with their current positions. They could use this year as a transition year to learn about the program and school and start off next year running so we don't waste yet another season in a coaching transition. Just a thought.
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby meats » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:22 am

I like the concept of not wasting a transition year. However unless Kerry has been already offered, say for example, an administration position in the Athletic Department and is fine with this arrangement, otherwise having his successor working for him for a season seems very arkward, to say the least. And surely a candidate with the stature of a Pritzlaff or Roselli would not come without the assurance it's their job at seasons end. And I pray that our AD would first establish a panel of active wrestling alums with considerable knowledge of potential prospects with the right fit at UMD. I think the position would be a sweet one indeed. Santoro's program really took off when he came in. However, I have to think this season will bumpy road until the AD can make changes. We cannot screw up getting the right guy when the times cones.
meats
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:36 pm

There is no way Kerry was going to hire his replacement. That's just not reality. If Kerry is done after this season, we need a national search to land the best guy out there (whomever that may be). Candidates of that magnitude certainly wouldn't be leaving their current job to be the top assistant at UMD. Furthermore, I doubt that Anderson is that concerned about wrestling to orchestrate putting Kerry's replacement on his staff. I think Anderson will just wait until season ends and make whatever decisions need to be made at that point in time. That's just my view.

The news I am NOW hearing is that Jimmy Sheptock will come on as the top assistant and that Catullo will remain on staff as the 2nd assistant. I guess Kerry made alot of calls but there were not alot of takers with his tenuous situation apparent to all. I would've liked to have seen Eiter as first assistant, Sheptock as 2nd and Catullo as the head of TWC operations but Eiter is definitely moving to St. Paul's in Baltimore. I have heard that a 2017 kid (Shane Metzler) has already decommited to UMD as a result of the Eiter news. Metzler is a tough kid who would have helped us down the line. He lost to Cray in OT in the NJ semi finals. It's hard to imagine what our recruiting class will look like with Kerry's situation in limbo. I am still waiting for our spring 2016 announcement to be posted ...sigh.

I think the Terps should be better this year but how much better remains to be seen. A ton of guys need to have big bounce back years but we'll still be young and it's hard to imagine us winning more than 1-2 big ten matches. Kerry really dug himself a hole a few years back with recruiting. It stinks. I hope he can turn this around but I feel last year was a big year to reverse momentum and unfortunately, we had a worse season than fans with even the most modest expectations anticipated. The fact we aren't getting any impact 97 pounders in this recruiting cycle is particularly disheartening. Hopefully the team is working hard this off season.
ne125
Expert

Postby meats » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Wow, you summed up the dilemma nicely. Metzler would have been a serious B1G prospect for us. Too bad. As I see it, the only recruit thus far announced for 2016 that could potentially start in the B1G is Cray. This is based on his prep resume. I had heard that MD 285 Mansur Abdul-Malik gave a verbal to Kerry last Fall. Currently ranked the #10 Hwt by Flo, who knows how that one will eventually play out. I do agree, we do have some young kids that should be better this year but the B1G is a meat grinder so dual wins will be few. I am hoping, no praying that this time next year my enthusiasm for the program's future will be restored.
meats
Veteran

Postby Terpfan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:53 pm

I guess it is good that Sheptock comes back,but have they moved beyond the rumor stage to the confirmed stage? I know Kerry is in South America for the Pan-Am games, but something,
just something about a transfer would go a long way right now. Is there any sense that we are in on any of these. It is tough to see Iowa lose two top 50 recruits in the same week, and still hear neary a peep out of U of M about anyone being interested in coming here. On the other hand Durkin is claiming maryland as home with what looks like a top 20 football recruiting class and he hasn't coached a game here yet. sigh.
Terpfan
Novice

Postby d » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:30 am

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/16542

Sheptock returns to Maryland as assistant coach
University of Maryland Sports Information

7/11/2016
COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Former two-time All-American and University of Maryland wrestling alumnus Jimmy Sheptock ('14) will join the Terrapin staff this year as an assistant coach as announced by head coach Kerry McCoy Monday. Sheptock returns to his alma mater after a two-year stint at Drexel University in Philadelphia, Pa.

"I'm excited to be back at Maryland and help out the program that gave me so much," said Sheptock. "This is a fantastic opportunity for me and I want to thank Coach McCoy for bringing me back to College Park. I'm ready to get to work and see what the future holds."

Sheptock helped guide the Dragons to their most dual meet victories (10) since the 2008-09 this past year, including a six-match win streak to end the season. The Dragons had six wrestlers reach the podium at the 2016 Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association Championships, the most since joining the conference. Sheptock helped guide two Drexel wrestlers to EIWA titles while seven Dragons qualified for the NCAA Championships under his tutelage.

During his time at Drexel, Sheptock was responsible for the squad's day-to-day operations including practice planning, travel arrangements and marketing promotions for the team.

"We're thrilled to have Jimmy back here at Maryland as a part of our staff," said Kerry McCoy. "Jimmy is one of the best wrestlers to ever put on a Terrapin uniform, and will be a great example for our guys. Having coached him I know what kind of energy and focus he brings to the mat everyday, and he's done some big things at Drexel the past two seasons. It's exciting to bring a former Terp like Jimmy on board with our program. I'm looking forward to the season ahead."

Sheptock finished his Maryland career as one of the most accomplished wrestlers in program history as a three-time ACC Champion, three-time NCAA qualifier and two-time All-American at 174 and 184 pounds. The Northhampton, Pa. native amassed a 129-20 all-time record as a Terp, and was a perfect 51-0 in dual matches with 67 total bonus-point victories.

Sheptock's 2013-14 season was one of the greatest individual runs in Maryland wrestling history, as he finished 32-1 and as the NCAA finalist, ACC Champion and Midlands Champion. He became the first-ever Maryland wrestler to obtain the No. 1 seed at the NCAA Championships and earn a No. 1 national ranking. Sheptock became just the fourth Terp to finish in the top-two in school history, and the first since Gobel Kline won the national championship in 1969.

Sheptock earned his Masters of Sports Management while he was at Drexel and graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Communication from Maryland.
d
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 pm

As a Maryland fan, I do like bringing back alums and local guys. Sheptock had a great run once he cracked the lineup. I feel Asper was the superior wrestler both in head to head and technically. Sheptock was his most dominantly once he was able to out muscle everyone. We had Asper but he left for in state rival Navy "for a better opportunity" and to be honest with you I would pick him over sheptock as an assistant. But that bridge was burned for whatever reason so we move on. Sheptock is a good addition to the program..... If this was a grad assistant spot. As head assistant for a big ten program it's a freaking joke. We did need to add youth to the coaching side but we definitely didn't need to lose an experienced well respected coach to make it happen. Not to mention sheptocks experience in college was seeing the general decline of UMDs program and 2 years as a grad assistant at uninspiring Drexel. Hard to see how in the world this makes us a better program. I personally can't wait until we finish yet another ugly season and Kerry McCoy is relieved of his duties as head coach. Only then can we start fresh and move on from one of the most disappointing chapters in Maryland wrestling history.
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby mm55 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:27 am

I agree 100% with the post above. What I don't get is why Sheptock came back. Drexel seems to be on the rise in the EIWA and this head assistant job could be gone next year when they show Kerry the door. I can't imagine they keep Sheptock on as a head coach. They needed someone who was a strong recruiter or a technican with some character thst would bring recruits in. Best o luck to him though,hopefully he isn't searching for a job come the spring.
mm55
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:31 pm

Obviously Jimmy is one of the best guys to ever wrestle at UMD, however, he isn’t at the head assistant coaching level yet at a big ten school. That role requires several years to grow into for a coach to really develop their recruiting chops. Eiter was a very good recruiter who had a lot of great experience as a head coach at Penn. Losing his recruiting connections and knowledge about the day to day operations of running a program will hurt. This includes key things like fund raising and alumni relations. I know Eiter did a pretty good job connecting with our alumni. That takes some time, experience and maturity to develop. This is nothing against Jimmy as even the elite college wrestlers usually work in the 2nd assistant role for a few years before making the bump up. I think Jimmy will help the upperweights a great deal which is needed with alot of the young guys we have. However, we’re losing a ton with recruiting which is probably the program’s biggest need. It would have been more logical to keep Eiter as the top assistant, lure Jimmy into the 2nd assistant role and make Mike Catullo the head of the TWC but maybe it was not possible for Kerry to pull that off. With him being in such a limbo status, it was going to be very hard to get a real good top assistant to replace Eiter. Again, unless there is a major turnaround, this is likely a one year contract for the assistant they are bringing in. No way would Sheptock be named the head coach if Kerry were let go but maybe a new staff would keep him in some capacity for continuity purposes. Again, it’s just disappointing that we are at this point. It seems like yesterday that we finished 10th in the NCAA tournament and finished in the top 20 repeatedly. With all these young, hungry coaches out there, you cannot lose your focus.
ne125
Expert

Return to BIG 10