WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Maryland 2017

Moderator: GAH

Re: Maryland 2017

Postby nittanykid » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:44 am

It may be a no revenue sport, but it also doesn't take a lot of revenue to be competitive in wrestling, either. Coaches in wrestling don't make anywhere near the money that football and basketball coaches do. Dresser just signed a five year contract with ISU for 2.25 million, and a base salary of $300,000. Now, that's not chump change, but when you look at what some football and basketball coaches are getting, it's a freaking drop in the bucket. Also, a fully funded wrestling program has a max of 9.9 scholarships. Compare that also to football, and it's really nothing. So yes, wrestling doesn't generate a ton of money, but with the money that the B1G makes off of football, it easily pays for all the other sports at the school. So that should never be a reason why a wrestling team isn't successful in the B1G.
nittanykid
Expert

Postby fitzi22 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:32 am

Ok now that the seeds and allocations are out here are my predictions in order of likeliness:

1. Rappo 133: seeded 6th with 9 allocations. Rappo has looked very competitive since moving down to 133. As a redshirt senior he is looking as polished and motivated as ever. He is probably our most physically fit wrestler to boot. I would be shocked if he didn't qualify.
2. Bannister 149: seeded 4th but only 6 allocations for this weight. With fewer allocations it means less margin for error. If baby J doesn't make the semis he will have a real battle on his hands in the consis and who knows what he is going to look like or what his conditioning is after not having wrestled for 7 weeks with an undisclosed "injury".
3. Diehl 141: seeded 13th with a surprising 9 allocations. Diehl is seeded this low because of his lack of matches wrestled. I personally think he is more middle of the pack, somewhere around 7 or 8 in this conference. He has the ability and seems to calm down with every match. If he can stay focused and win some grinding matches late on day 2 he will definitely qualify. But that may be asking a lot from a guy who has lacked consistency thus far.
4. Hemida 285: seeded 7th but only 5 allocations. The allocations for heavy weight are puzzling. Brooks Black is ranked by most publications in the top 20 but is on the outside looking in at the 6th seed. Hemida will have to get at least 1 upset if not 2 to qualify and that seems like a tall order.
5. Whisler 197: unseeded with 7 allocations: Whisler has looked very competitive throughout the year and surprised a lot of people. I think the world of this guy and just can't count him out. With 7 chances to qualify he probably only needs 1 upset and a little help to get to the 7/8 match. It's an uphill battle but if anyone on this team can do it he can.
6. 1% chance anyone else on this roster qualifies and that is being generous.

I think at the end of the day the first 3 guys on this list qualify for NCAA.
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:42 am

I think the Athletic Department has to do a better job paying the wrestling coaching assistants to be able to make big strides in the big ten. I think the head coaching salary is pretty competitive actually but the assistants are paid too low. I think that is definitely one thing that has hurt Kerry as he has had a revolving door of assistants since Beckerman left. This UMD move to the big ten is supposed to have a pretty big financial windfall with all factors considered. If they hire a new head coach this spring, it may be the right time for the AD to rationalize investing more into the program (aka: bumping the assistant coaching salaries up 15-20k a piece). Looking for a new assistant every other spring definitely hurt Kerry. An aggressive new coach would likely try and negotiate more money for the program up front. I know that UMD has the new cole field house initiative but I believe that money has to come from outside donors as opposed to athletic department budget. Speaking of which, I know they are still about 50mm dollars short for that project. Beyond paying that assistants better, I see no reason why the program cannot be really good with a fresh start. We need a new coach to create a buzz around the program again like we had in 2006. Things have gotten real stale.
As for coaches, there would undoubtedly be some good candidates that would puruse this opportunity. There are only so many D1 head coaching jobs in America and this is a head job in the best conference. It’s a good school academically, great campus, awesome location ( not that college park is nice but I’d much rather go to a school 10 minutes from DC/25 from Baltimore than some place in the middle of a cornfield in the Midwest), good proximity to some key recruiting areas (PA, NJ, NY, OH) etc. Not everyone on your wishlist would be interested but there would definitely be some good guys who’d jump on this opportunity in a second. It’s a huge opportunity for someone to build a program from the ground up. I agree that you make your top candidates say now. For instance, if Pritzlaff is your top choice, you make him the offer and let him decline. He can either have a head Big ten job right now or be an assistant at Rutgers for several for more years and probably take over when Goodale rolls up into administration. Like Goterps1 said, bird in hand. Even if you missed out on some of your top targets, there are many “secondary” candidates who might do a very good job. To me you need a top flight recruiter. Not that he’d be my first choice, but an under the radar guy might be Frank Beasley who is supposed to be an ace recruiter. With the right assistants, he could do something. This is a one example of many. The big question is who has the AD and Associate AD’s ear on the candidates to bring in? UMD ALWAYS has a search committee for head coaching jobs (I have no idea why) and you never can predict what direction they could go in. If you don’t have wrestling people on that committee, you’re in trouble. If you have the wrong wrestling people on that committee (aka: people who don’t follow the sport closely and offer up names that they recognize or people they know personally without proper analysis and objectivity), you’re in trouble too. Back in the day before Pat was hired, there was an associate AD on the committee who had worked at UP-Johnston and he recommended Pat Pecora to be the new coach at UMD. In the end, Pecora got offered the job and turned it down. Personally, I like Pecora a lot and think he could of done a solid job here because he’s got a magnetic personality and obviously a great track record results wise. However, bringing in a D2 coach who has a perfect niche’ at UPJ may have been a gamble. My point is that you never know who can influence these things. I think Joel Greenlee was another finalist for the job which is really random.
In terms of competition, I think VA tech keeps Robie so they may not be a player. I bet there will be one more pretty significant east coast job opening up besides Pittsburgh. Regardless, there will be plenty of good candidates to pick from. First, we have to wait until UMD’s decision on McCoy.
ne125
Expert

Postby TwoCrows » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:57 pm

Why has Mark Cody's name stopped coming up?
TwoCrows
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:45 am

I think Cody is someone who would be in the mix for the job. He obviously did a great job at American University but I'd want to know more details about what happened at Oklahoma. The team didn't meet expectations under him and he left rather abruptly in the fall before the season. Did he have a perfect niche at AU in being able to accept transfers, international wrestlers, and juco's that helped them reach that success? I don't know the answer to this but it's worth exploring. I don't know much about him in terms of whether he is a very good recruiter which is a big must if they did hire a new coach. I would think on paper, with the way his teams over achieved at AU and him being that national coach of the year in 2011, he would definitely get someone's attention as a good candidate. I am just not convinced he's the perfect fit though I admit I have limited insight. Just my humble opinion...
ne125
Expert

B1G Tournament

Postby TwoCrows » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:16 pm

Maryland has mostly been performing as expected.

However, Ryan Diehl after knocking off Iowa's sixth seed Topher Carton (22-8 on the season), just pinned Penn State's #2 seed Jimmy Guilbon! He's guaranteed at least a sixth place and a trip to the NCAA's. Although he's only won once (2 - 1 over Ken Theobold), he too is guaranteed at least a sixth place and a trip to the NCAA's. Hemida is 2-1 so far and needs to win his next two bouts to guarantee a trip to NCAAs. Billy Rappo and Justin Alexander (both 1-2) still have a chance if they can win the 4 way wrestle-off for 9th place.

On a somewhat bizarre note, Michael Beck scored 2.5 team points without winning a match because of Suriano's medical forfeit.
TwoCrows
Veteran

Postby MadHatter » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:33 am

So that's a wrap. Considering the disaster the Big 10's have been the last 2 seasons, this year was a resounding success. For the first time in a while, I think we can say that the Terps performed just about as well as they could.

Of course, the biggest story is Diehl, who beat 3 top-20 guys, including a pin and a major. Everyone knew he has talent, but his career has been a study in ups and downs the last few seasons. But... holy cow. Thorn, Gulibon, and Carton are tough opponents, and I doubt I am the only one who is at a complete loss as to what to think of him at this point. If he keeps up the same pace and majors guys like Tommy Thorn... who knows? I don't want to jinx anything, and I have weathered too many disappointments over the last few years to be really optimistic. But the guy came into college with serious accolades and it looks like he is finally competing like it.

Good for Rappo. His OT pick on Stickely, who is no slouch, was just sweet. I doubt he has the firepower to break into the placing rounds at NCAA's, but he put together a nice second half of the season and he should be proud of his accomplishments.

Bannister went 1-3 on the weekend, but still managed a 6th place finish and an NCAA qualification. This sounds about right, and I think his #4 seed was generous. His win/loss record was nice, but remember he missed the bulk of Big 10 dual season. Bannister has had problems all season with his inability to open up and score points on even mediocre opponents. He is still fun to watch and I think he has a good upside, but his mat game is still weak and he needs to find way to get ahead and stay ahead. I look forward to him winning a match or 2 at NCAA's and coming back hungry, healthy, and aggressive next season.

Hemida still has an outside shot of qualifying based on his record and accomplishments. Now I haven't looked over the other tournament's bracket sheets, nor do I know much about qualification numbers and such. However, can we really say that he is among the top 32 heavyweights in college wrestling? Personally, I feel the answer to this is a yes. However, it is out of our hands, and it is out of Hemida's hands as well. A top 5 place would have guaranteed a spot, but it was just a bridge too far.

So all in all, we saw a drastic improvement over last year, and we're qualifying at least 3 wrestlers for NCAA's. I'll take it. Bravo, well done Terps!
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:29 am

There were some positives from the weekend though I wouldn’t say we knocked it out of the park as a team. Obviously the story from the weekend was Ryan Diehl. It’s amazing that a month ago we had all but written him off because his absence was a big mystery as he competed very little. The performance this weekend gave us a glimpse of all we hoped he’d become when he verbaled to UMD as a junior in highschool. Kerry never gave up on him despite the fact that he took 1.5 years at liberty and then struggled thus far in his UMD career. He got crushed in the first round but battled all the way back to 5th. Hopefully this gives him the confidence he needs to be a legitimate national level guy over the next few years. Who knows if he gets on a roll at NCAA’s this year what could happen. I remember how tough he was as a junior in high school and thinking Kerry had just gotten his best commitment in his career at that point in time. Bannister had a tough tournament but did what he had to do to get to nationals. It was hard to expect much else after having missed almost 2 months. He did crush that Michigan kid in the dual who he lost to in the consi-semis. He’ll be a tough out at nationals as guys will have trouble scoring on him. He and Diehl will be a good 1-2 punch in the next few years. I think Hemida had a pretty good season overall. He definitely showed a lot of improvement in the second semester. I’m kind of surprised that HWT only qualified 5 for NCAA’s. He had a pretty tough draw at big tens. He only lost to medberry 7-4 in the quarters. He needs lift his tail off this season but he did a lot he can build upon for next year. I’d hope he’s a legit top 20 guy next year. It was good to see Rappo qualify his senior year. Whisler had a good season but faded some down the stretch. I just read that his father passed away so I cannot imagine how difficult it was for him to concentrate on his wrestling and school and have a father who was in such a dire situation. Prayers to him and his family. The fact he was out there competing this weekend is pretty remarkable. I think he’s going to be a very good 97 pounder for us over the next 3 years if he puts on size and muscle. Ugalade had a bad tournament. Getting pinned by a MSU guy with a 9-15 record is not cutting it. I think we got a glimpse of his potential this year from time to time but he was way too inconsistent. I think he’s still learning how to battle and grind it out at the high D1 level. He seems to be relying on funk a lot which is a good supplement to your wrestling but not to be relied upon in my opinion. He needs a big off season to make a jump. It was obviously a very difficult dual meet season to witness. A 2-16 record was totally unacceptable. We could’ve beaten teams like Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern and Michigan State. On a good day, we could've beaten UVA and some others too. Again, too many holes in our lineup this year which has plagued the Kerry era. When are we going to stop throwing guys out there that can't win a match in the big ten? We have 3 of these guys in the lineup a season. Losing Tyler Goodwin hurt as well (still have no idea what happened to him) though it might have been a blessing in disguise as we got rappo and diehl to ncaa’s. Who knows what will happen with the coaching situation after NCAA’s. Our lineup next year could look a lot better if guys make a total commitment to improve this off season.
25 Cray front runner- Beck, Vargas
33- Will Goowdin be back? If not, this is a major hole
41- Diehl
49 Bannister
57-Alexander/Boychuck/Hodges
65- Kyle Cochran
74-Ugalde/White
84-Jaron Smith?
97-Whisler
HWT Hemida.
ne125
Expert

Postby fitzi22 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:04 am

Good tournament indeed. We did about as well as one could have expected. Rappo is a feel good story as he basically walked away from the program a few years ago due to frustration in not being able to crack the lineup. He came back, made a commitment and his perseverance is showing off. I still think he could have finished higher but qualifying is qualifying. Unfortunately he will draw a tough guy in his first match but I think he will end up winning 1 if not 2 in the consis. Bannister is a real enigma. Perhaps he is nursing a tough injury who knows. All I know is he is probably the single luckiest wrestler at Big Tens. He received the random draw bye in the first round and then was gifted a penalty point by Theobold in the quarters in a match where baby J looked very uninspired and more than likely would have lost. And that was it. That alone made him an NCAA qualifier. I don't expect much from him at NCAA at this point. I believe he can win 1 match in the consis and go 1-2 for the tournament. Diehl is very interesting. I have always believed in his ability and after watching him progress in the last few duals he made me a believer he could put it all together. I understand from sources that his absence in the first half of the year was due to academics (apparently a team imposed standard for him due to his past). But he has that all squared away and his weight under control so he can concentrate on wrestling. Confidence has never been a problem with him, in fact he is the opposite. He gets way too amped up almost like he is ADHD. But with each match you could see him calm down and focus. He has a real mean streak in him that makes him seem bigger and stronger than he really is. 141 is weak in general and Diehl has the ability to go very deep in the tournament. I won't make a prediction on him until the brackets come out but he is definitely our best hope at the tournament. As for the ridiculously low # of heavy weight allocations, Kyle Snyder didn't wrestle enough matches this year to qualify RPI which is how allocations are dished out. This hurt the conference in general because he is clearly the best wrestler in the weight if not the sport. Rumor is the NCAA plans to remedy this with the at large bids. I just don't know if they plan on issueing 1 or 2 for the Big Ten. Go Terps!
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Of course 1 hour after I post they announce at large allotments. Yes the Big Ten got 2 for heavy weight to counter the "Snyder effect" which means Hemida is also going to NCAA. The good news is he is in the same conference as the top 2 guys and the committee tries to keep conference match ups to a minimum in the first round. It will be fun to see what he can do on the big stage.
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby meats » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:54 pm

Yes, I was pleased with the tourney performance of 3 of our kids. However, I do need to mention that the bar has been set so darn low by now that any improvement almost is reason to cheer. But let's not fool ourselves, we have a long way to go and still desparately need a head coaching change.
meats
Veteran

Postby MadHatter » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:35 am

Hemida is in. He earned an at-large bid.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/arti ... division-i
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby randypl21 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:40 am

Meats" Rumor is cal poly coach got interviewed for Maryland job by maryland's ad who played football at cal poly, but the top administration decided to give McCoy a contract extention with how his team performed at Big Tens! But I bet McCoy takes the Lehigh job after santoro accepts the Pitt job after ncaas...
randypl21
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:24 am

Ah Randy the troll, our UMD hater from the EIWA chiming in with bad rumors and innuendos. Nice to know he is alive and well.

In other news, it looks like Diehl got the short end of the stick with his draw at NCAA. It will be a total battle for him from jump. That being said it's funny how things workout. Hemida got an at large bid but probably has the most favorable draw. He was very competitive with Haines early in the year and I think he has grown more than anyone on this team throughout the season. It is a very winnable match that can set him up for a deep run in the tournament. Go Terps!
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby MadHatter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:33 am

We got some rough draws- Rappo has the #2 seed, GrossDIehl gets #4 Kolodzik, Bannister gets Micah Jordan if he wins round 1. Hemida is certainly capable of scoring the upset over Haines, as fitzi pointed out. If he does he gets Walz in the second round.
MadHatter
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to BIG 10