WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Maryland 2017

Moderator: GAH

Maryland 2017

Postby Terpfan » Tue May 24, 2016 6:11 pm

As a fan who suffered through a crushing 2016 season I was poised for some big doings going into 2017. So far I can only say "what gives". While a passionate fan I have to say the recruiting class is underwhelming. I do not think we have a single top 50 recruit. We do not have a returning NCAA qualifier. Where do we get better? I admire coach McCoy personally, but
is it time for a change? Williams was replaced, Edsel was replaced, Cottle was replaced and there has been some buzz and success in the aftermath.

I do not know if I can suffer through another winless (or nearly thanks Mich St.) Big 10 season, or losses to middling DI teams. Why aren't we in on any transfers? What fired up young coach are we getting. As a native Marylander it stung to see Martin (McD high School), and Snyder (Good Counsel High School) win national titles.

What do we have to feel good about. . . come on thrown a fan a bone. . .
Terpfan
Novice

Re: Maryland 2017

Postby ne125 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:31 am

Obviously it was a very disappointing season for the terps. Some of the results were hard to imagine going into the season even for fans with modest expectations. I think we started off okay but then faded really badly down the stretch. There are a ton reasons for concern regarding athlete development as well as recruiting. That said, I feel like there were some bright spots and wrestlers usually make a huge jump up between their freshmen and sophomore years so that is something to look forward to. I like Kerry a lot but obviously he has to be feeling the heat right now going into the last year of his contract. He really needs the team to show considerable improvement to augment his case for a new contract. The thing that bothers me is that it doesn’t appear that he has tried to make drastic moves to shake things up. There have been no significant additions or changes to the main coaching staff. The terrapin wrestling club staff has had some decent guys helping out but there have been some real duds too. It's been a real quiet off season. We have had some solid recruits but we are not getting elite guys that can have real success early on. It is tough watching Maryland guys like Martin and Snyder win NCAA titles, however, we are not going to get those guys until we show big improvements in results. If we kept the best MD guys home, we’d be in great shape. I see Peter Tedesco committed and he is a pretty solid kid but again, not a top 100 type kid. Hopefully we are bringing in a legit upper weight recruit to push for a starting spot. I can go on but I’d rather not beat a dead horse. I hope the wrestlers are working their tails off to get better and are as disappointed as the fans and presumably the coaches. It’s is about time for some of these wrestlers to man-up and earn their scholarships. These guys needs to start reaching their potential and that would help a ton because there is talent there. I haven’t heard about any potential attrition this year (though there will undoubtedly be some). I think Hemida has had a real nice off season and could make a huge jump next year. Peck is talented but proved to be so unreliable last year. From the outside looking in, that was a strange situation. A potential lineup looks like:

25-Cray
33-Goodwin
41-Bannister/Rappo
49-Shy Brown/Diehl
57-Hodges/Rastrepo/Boychuck
65-Ugalde (Burnham Redshirts)
74-Idris White/Rowell
84-Whisler (Jaron Smith redshirts)
97-Weneski
HWT-Hemida
ne125
Expert

Postby fitzi22 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:18 pm

The examples you give for recent coaching changes are all in revenue sports. There is zero chance UMD will eat salary of a head coach in his last year under contract in a non revenue sport, so sit back and watch. The administration is in no hurry to extend McCoy. I'm sure they want to see improvement as well before they sink more $$ into the current project. Don't expect much in the way of recruits this year due to the obvious limbo situation, so any and all improvement will have to come from within. McCoy has been here for 9 years and has had ample time to set up his coaching staff and recruit so it's sink or swim time. As for NCAA qualifiers we actually have 3 former qualifiers on the roster. Goodwin qualified 3 years ago when he clinic moved his way past Mack and Shy Brown also qualified that year (I believe he will have the grades to wrestle this year but who knows). Peck also qualified 2 years ago while at UTC but we all know his history and issues. Long and short this is still a very young and unproven team. Im hoping for the best next year but don't be surprised if things get ugly again which probably spells bad news for Coach McCoy. I feel bad this entire situation falls on the shoulders of a bunch of 19 year old guys but this is the situation that was created for them through years of mismanagement. Hope for the best and expect the worst. Go Terps!!!
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby Terpfan » Wed May 25, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks for the insight and whatever slight support you can provide. I do not really expect McCoy to be fired while under contract, but would think after some unsuccessful years, there would be some urgency in what is a walk year. I thought there might be a little buzz around recruiting, but we do not seem to even be considered by the top kids. I would think w e would be a good place to transfer ( did we talk to Chance M?), but the transfers we do get seem to be non qualifiers.

I do not know if there is anyone new on the coaching staff who can fire the kids up, but I think we need someone. I think about what happened at NC state and wonder why we can't turn it around like that.

Terpfan
Novice

Postby ne125 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:59 am

That is my point Terpfan. I would think Kerry would be pretty desperate to shake some things up to get us back on the right track while he still has time left. I agree that UMD would be a good place to transfer but for whatever reason, we aren't active on the transfer market. That transfers we have gotten have been quite suspect to be frank about it.. Like I said, it's been a quiet off season which is disappointing as I would have hoped there would have been a some changes/ movements within the main coaching staff and/or additions to the Terrapin wrestling club staff. I really don't have any other insight other than to say Kerry usually announces his spring signings pretty late but at this point, I would not hold my breath about getting an impact upperweight. Again, Tedesco is solid but we need legit top 100 guys and we only got one in this recruiting cycle (Cray).
ne125
Expert

Postby meats » Thu May 26, 2016 1:53 pm

I am afraid I have long ago given up on Kerry being the man to fix this program. It simply is not going to happen under his direction. I base this on closely following the program for many years now and painfully watching the gradual decline during his tenure. By the way, it started during the last few years in the ACC. I get zero joy coming to this dismal and frustrating conclusion. And I do get it that financially, we are in no position to replace a head coach under contract. However, even me with my cynical and jaundiced views, is amazed that so little has occurred since the season ended. How can that be? Our head coach is a gentleman and was one great wrestler but it's time to move on and move on smartly after this next season.

By the way Terpfan, if you have not yet read them, read the "Terps Past B1G Season Recap" posts. They nicely summarize the history and woes of the program. I love this sport and the Terps but have had enough.
meats
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Fri May 27, 2016 9:40 am

It would have been very unlikely we would have gotten one of the better transfers (like chance) because of the well known coaching limbo situation and lack of track record for further developing wrestlers with this staff. So I'm really not surprised there at all. I too am surprised by the lack of movement in the coaching ranks though. I thought we surely would have upgraded our graduate assistant spot since it is the cheapest and easiest to replace, but who knows maybe we will replace him later on ( i believe Sanjaa was brought on In mid October of all times). Other than that I think Kerry's hands are tied. I think the administration has drawn a line in the sand and refuses to dish out anymore $$ for coaches until they get some signs of improvement from the program. Kerry could always go all in and defer some of his salary to make a hire but rumor on the street is he already did that to get coach Eiter so that would be unlikely. I think Kerry has maxed out his credit line so he has to go with what he has and win or go home. I commented on here when he brought in the recruiting class 2 years ago that he was relying on this class to save his career, and so here we are. Let's sit back and watch and Kerry fans really need to pray that class is better than everyone expected. The next 10 months should be interesting but I think we all know where the end game is going.

What we really should be asking is what does this team and Kerry McCoy have to do to keep his job? Always a program supporter. Go Terps!!
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby Terpfan » Sat May 28, 2016 11:33 am

in some ways what is being described is a catch -22 for Coach. He has no money to bring on new assistants or recruits, and his job depends on being better, which he will have time doing without better recruits/ assistants.
I wonder about some of the names on the team and their status. I am not able to see many matches live and no practices, but what is going on with Deihl? did White get into the school and on the team, same with LLopez? was Peck so bad that he lost out to a true freshman? will Shy Brown be eligible? Is Bannister a flame out, I was surprised that he seemed to Take so many steps backwards. What would it have taken to get Asper, Sheptock, or hudson back as coaches?

Lots of questions and just looking for some buzz.
Terpfan
Novice

Postby Terpfan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:19 pm

With Aaron Brooks a double Fargo champ at 160. Anyone think McCoy and Sherlock are in on him? It would be a great instate get for the Terps.
Terpfan
Novice

Postby mm55 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:42 pm

Without a doubt they're onto him. Every school tries and land there top in state guys. I just don't Brooks staying like every other Maryland guy who has D1 talent. Why commit to a team with a lame duck coach. It's going to take a new coach and a few classes to fix the mess in College Park.
mm55
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:40 am

Brooks appears to be the next great Maryland wrestler. I could be wrong but it seems that the state of Maryland has had a few down years in terms of producing D1 talent. He'll certainly be a tough kid to land regardless of what coach is at the helm. He's likely a top 10 national recruit with a lot of upside and all the big school will be coming after him. If Kerry does move on after next season, we definitely need a coach who can recruit as that's 50% of the battle. We've had too many recruiting misses over the past 5-6 years. Unfortunately, this off season has been pretty dead silent besides brining Sheptock in and losing Eiter. Sheptock should help with the upperweights but it's definitely a huge negative in terms of recruiting. There doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency which surprises me given the current situation.
ne125
Expert

Postby d » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:19 am

recent commit per intermat:

07-21-16 Maryland Hunter Baxter Pine-Richland PA 133/141

from a quick google search:
Background Info:
Baxter broke into Pine-Richland's starting lineup as a 106-pound freshman and placed second in Section 3-AAA and third in the WPIAL to earn his first PIAA berth, and finished with a 32-6 record.
In 2015, as a 113-pound sophomore he placed third in the section, third in the WPIAL, and eighth in the PIAA.
In 2016, placed sixth at the Powerade Christmas Tournament at 120 pounds, took 2nd in WPIAL (to Spencer Lee), and placed fourth in the PIAA. He has an above 4.0 GPA.
d
Veteran

Postby Terpfan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:00 pm

Impressive GPA, maybe he can tutor brown, Diehl, and LLopez? It looks like there is some recruiting info
going on. Would have been nice to be on Tsirsis short list to transfer. . . Maybe there will be some more action as August and
the Olypics heat up.
Terpfan
Novice

Postby ne125 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:23 pm

Here’s the latest and greatest from College Park:

Hunter Baxter seems like a decent pickup. Hopefully he can put it all together and win a AAA state title as a senior. He doesn’t seem to participate in a ton of off-season tourney’s so it’s hard to gauge his potential. I will say it's interesting to see him projected at 33/41 since he wrestled 120 last year. Not to beat a dead horse, but we need some legitimate top 100 talent to compete in the big ten. Hopefully Cray can come in and be a national qualifier in his first year (if he does start). That’s a lot to ask a true freshmen but hopefully he’s mentally tough enough to make the transition. At the minimum, hopefully he’s competitive and improves during the course of the season. I don’t anticipate any other true freshmen starting. It was a pretty weak recruiting class to be honest. Hopefully the freshmen from last season used the spring and summer wisely in getting prepared for the upcoming season. Our season (and our future ) is really dependent on that group. Looking at the 2016-17 roster on UMterps:

Peck is not listed on the roster. What a strange situation this has been– he was in and out of the lineup all last year for unexplained reasons. Between his stops at VT, UTC and now UMD, it seems like he’s running amok all over the place I think Hemida had the best off season on paper and think he can take a step up in his game and hopefully get to nationals this year.

Casella- Gone. He really struggled last year. Certain kids just can’t transition to the D1 level, especially in the big ten. I am not sure what his story is but he got beat badly by several guys on our current roster.

Justin Alexander- I thought he had another year left and would’ve presumably been in the mix at 57/65. Looks like he isn’t on the roster either.

Tk Megonigal- arguably our 2nd best recruit out of this incoming class. I got word last year that he might take a prep school year before matriculating. I am not sure if this is for academics, but it’s amazing how many of our guys have had to take the circuitous route to college park. I won’t hold my breath that he ever ends up in college park. I think losing Eiter might hurt here.

I’m hearing that Lou Mascola and Nicole Woody will be Maryland’s club coaches for the upcoming season. That’s not confirmed by any stretch but I heard that from a solid source. I won't provide my opinion on this.

I’m still disappointed that we didn’t bring in any 97 pounders but Nick Mcshea. This weight needed more depth for sure. McShea had a respectable junior season in highschool and then fell flat results wise his senior year. Who knows if Jaron Smith or maybe Whisler can challenge Weneski in the fall. I just want to see us put our best lineup out there.

I think Mansur is still a solid verbal commit but am not sure about Quinn Devaney. Again, we lost Shane Metzler from Jersey who was a real nice recruit.

It will be interesting who steps up this year and becomes competitive in the big ten. I am still awaiting the schedule announcement.
ne125
Expert

Postby ne125 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:09 pm

It looks like Danny Betroni gave a verbal to UMD which is good news. He's a 3X state champion w/ only one loss during his in-season HS career. He also placed 5th in this past year's NHSCA Junior National Championship. he projects at 133/141 and appears to be a solid addition.
ne125
Expert

Next

Return to BIG 10