WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Terps Post Big Ten Season Recap

Moderator: GAH

Terps Post Big Ten Season Recap

Postby ne125 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:08 pm

I just wanted to take a look at the numbers and do an assessment of where we are after this big ten season.
Weight Class record in Big Ten Duals:

125 - 0-10
133- 8-2
141- 3-7
149- 2-8
157 6-4
165- 2-8
174 - 0-10
184- 4-6
197- 1-9
HWT 2-7 (fft to Iowa)

We were 1-9 in big ten competition. Our one win was against a horrific Michigan State team. We also didn’t have to face Iowa, Penn State or Ohio State. If I was going to say what the turning point in the season was, it’s obviously the Indiana match. I am biased but Hodges and Burnham had their matches won and got screwed as a result of some home cooking by the refs. Also, Weneski lost in OT and Bannister was winning and ended up losing after the Indiana kid rallied late. We lost to Indiana 26-13. A few bouts go our way and we win that match and have a two match big ten winning streak heading into Purdue two days later. Instead, we lose to Indiana and we are deflated and wrestle very flat versus Purdue and get crushed. I think our disappointing loss to Indiana hurt us bad in that bout and we have not been able to recover since then. Looking at our big ten record, we are 1-29 between the weights of 125, 174, and 197. You’re just not going to win many big ten duals when you have no chance of winning at 3 weights. Weneski has been in a few close matches that could’ve gone either way but he hasn’t quite figured out how to pull them out. We’re getting beat soundly at 125 and 174. We cannot continue to have these holes in our lineup. The true freshmen have done pretty well considering the tough competition they have faced. They’ve hit a freshmen wall lately but Hodges (2-7) Burnham (2-5) and Smith (4-5) have shown promise and toughness in big ten competition. Hemida (1-5) has struggled but I expect him to make big gains next year. I am absolutely shocked Bannister (2-5 big ten 8-8 overall) has not done better. He had an incredible redshirt true frosh season but has really hit a wall. I think he has lost confidence and needs to figure out how to win at the highest level of d1 wrestling. Losing to the George Mason kid really highlights how much of a rut he is in. He’s only a freshmen so there is plenty of time to turn this around. Diehl has struggled as well but he maybe getting used to a higher weight class. Again, way too many unknowns at this point. Looking at records of some key redshirts:

Boychuck 49/57- 13-10
Shy Brown 149 - 11-1
Casella 141 - 5-7
Ugalde 65/74 -14-6
Whisler 84/97 -6-2
Rowell 174 -6-4
Whitesell 141 14-9
Rastrepo 157 2-2

Overall, I’m a little disappointed. There are no 20 match winners like in previous seasons. Rastrepo, Whisler and Rowell may be counted on to start next year and they didn’t get the experience they needed. Also, the competition these guys faced wasn’t exactly stellar either so they’ll face a huge adjustment in getting used to big ten competition next year. I think these guys were injured which again is a recurring problem in the program. Overall, I think we have some decent young talent but are still a few years away. The only guys with over a .500 record in big ten competition are graduating (Mascola, Alexander). Unfortunately the incoming recruiting class only has two guys I think can start next year and they’re both at 125…..Brandon Cray & Hunter Lucas. Capello, McShea and Deflippo have had disappointing senior campaigns. Vargas, Doetsch and Ford have done decent but aren’t going to threaten for a starting spot. Next year’s best lineup:

25- Cray/Lucas
33-Tyler Goodwin
41- Bannister/Rappo
149-Diehl
157-Hodges
165-Burnham
174-Ugalde
84-Smith/Whisler
97-Weneski/Smith/Whisler
HWT- Hemida/Peck

Also, we can always hope for a transfer to augment this lineup. We won’t have any pre-season top 20 wrestlers though Goodwin and Peck may not be too far away.
ne125
Expert

Re: Terps Post Big Ten Season Recap

Postby EngineerLehigh » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:05 pm

Most definitely need to load-up recruits college ready able to certify a weight-class lower than necessary for flexibility.
Kerry needs more recruits for next year.

125/133 Hill/White
165/174 C. Karam
184/197 Reyes/Connelly

Some late season senior to look at. 13 under-recruited wrestlers out of D11. Will be interesting to see how they do now come tournament time.
120 Sr. Jack Hill (Saucon Valley) 25-1 Assistant Coach is Don Rohn.
126 Sr. Tyshawn White (Central Dauphin). Possibly an academic stretch. DISTRICT 3
138 Sr. Lucas Schaf (Emmaus). Could be most underrecruited guy in PA.
145 Sr. Ron Nguyen (Allentown Dieruff). Still developing, great record and PIAA D11 performance, but with a program that has not come close to fully developing him.
152 Sr. Cole Karam (Bethlehem Catholic).
182 Sr. Jayden Reyes (Allentown Dieruff)
195 Sr. Trent Thomas (Pleasant Valley) 26-3, Sr. Dan Oberle (Emmaus) 27-5, Sr. Keegan Connelly (Allentown Central Catholic) 21-5
285 Sr. Joey Gladish (Allentown Central Catholic) 24-1, Sr. Cameron Kates (Northern Lehigh) 26-2, Sr. Alexander Nicholas (Salisbury) 24-1, Sr. Shai Hines (Allentown Dieruff) 27-2
EngineerLehigh
Expert

Postby fitzi22 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:33 am

NE thanks for putting these stats together. Clearly they aren't pretty and it hurts a little more knowing the only 2 weights we had winning records in are seniors. Obviously we were non competitive in 3 weights all season but I feel the defeatist mentality that struck this team last year has only affected Bannister this year. If our guys can keep their heads up and learn each time out we might have something. Looking at the potential staters for next year, our youth jumps off the page. You only have 2 juniors and 1 senior listed (Shy Brown wasn't in there, don't know if that was an oversight or if it looks like he won't get his grades back up by then). That leaves a ton a freshmen and sophomores, both redshirt and true, to lead this team next year. I feel like this year was a learning curve year for many of our guys and we will get a real taste of who they really are next year, let's hope they are up for it. What bothers me the most is when we feel one of our guys is poised for a breakout year they always regress. Mascola and Bannister this year, Alexander last year, Spencer, Asper his senior year, Letts senior year, you can even go back to Krom and Taylor senior campaigns. I know some of it is injury but I feel like when the going gets tough and it's time to step up we routinely step down. I feel Kerry struggles to get these guys to continue moving forward and become something more. You look at NC State and Pop, he is able to get his guys to overachieve on a regular basis where as we go in the opposite direction. I so badly want to see this trend changed for Kerry and Terps fans. Next year is an important year for several reasons and people, so I really hope most of these guys spend the summer on campus working out and getting better so we can start next year off better prepared.

As for nationals, I feel we will qualify 5 (I know it seems like a high # for a team that finished at the bottom of the conference). Alexander, Mascola, and Peck have what it takes to qualify baring any major set backs or random upsets. In addition I think we can qualify 2 more either based on seeding/ upsets at BigTens or a high # of allotments for a given weight (that's how Alexander qualified last year). My leading candidates are Bannister, Diehl, and Smith but someone else can always slip into the mix. As for nationals themselves, Alexander has been on a tear and has the best chance to get a good seed and AA. He has been somewhat of an enigma the last few years including his curious midlands performance this year. Hopefully he can keep it up and avoid the injury bug. Go Terps!
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:54 am

You’re right, leaving Shy Brown off was an oversight. He’s had a solid year off. Atleast he has competed and done fairly well. I think he could be a .500 wrestler in the big ten next year. I want to put Diehl in there as he is the younger guy and I am big on the youth movement. I am not looking at next year, I am looking at 2-3 years down the roadr. Diehl has a ways to go to recapture that nagic he showed all throughout highschool. I think he’s small for 149 so that has something to do with it. However, he isn’t wrestling to the level he is capable. At 157, I think Hodges could start or take a year to redshirt (which may suit him well) and maybe Alexander or Rastrepo could sneak in there. Maybe Boychuck could also get into the mix. Rastrepo has disappointed this year, only getting in four matches. When he did wrestle, he was competing far below the expectation I would have for a Fargo All-American and NY state champ. I hear he is dinged up, however, I don’t think it is anything that was so severe that would limit him to only 4 matches. I hate that darn terps injury bug. At the end of the day, no one is perfectly healthy by the end of the season so you need to live with the injuries you’ve got and wrestle hard-nosed to accomplish what you’ve set out to do. Some kids just aren’t mentally able to do that. I hope Rastrepo is because the talent is obviously there. I wish Whisler got in more matches this year as well. He showed some good promise when he did compete but again, I think he sat out a lot of the year due to injury as well. I think he could start and maybe Jaron could redshirt. If not, one of them could bump up to 197 if Weneski can’t turn the corner. I imagine the terps would look to add another 184/197 this spring who could get into the mix and further solidify the upperweights. By and large, this was a developmental year for the program. I think we could be pretty good in 2 years but guys need to commit themselves 100% to becoming as good as they can be. I have no insight into the room and whether all the younger guys are buying in. At 165, you could redshirt Burnham (who’s had a very good year), let Ugalde go 165 and then maybe start Sam Rowell or Idris White (if he matriculates into the program) at 174. We are pretty set at HWT though they need Peck to really focus and Hemida to improve/get bigger. Tyler Goodwin should be very good for us next year at 133. We really need Bannister to get his confidence back. He’s got a ton of talent but has had a pretty brutal year. I was hoping he would be in the mix to place and then be the face of the program for the next few years. Again, he’s still young. At the end of the day, it’s up to the guys in the program to decide how badly they want to compete for all-american honors down the road. That class with Krom, Bell and Taylor were bought into that goal. We haven’t seen it recently but hopefully freshmen can reverse that trend.
ne125
Expert

Postby ne125 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:17 pm

I wanted to add one more thing. I read a Rutgers article recently and it stated "Wrestling received $570,000 in new gifts and pledges in Fiscal Year 2015, according to a school official." Building a program is more than just on the mat success & recruiting. The Scarlet Knight wrestling club is now a force because of the contributions of alumni and fans. They have added elite coaches because of that as well. I know the Terrapin Wrestling Club is nowhere near this level of donations and somehow it has to get there. We are never going to compete until we get a universal buy in from alumni, fans and the greater Maryland wrestling community the way Rutgers has. Having an 400-500K operating budget like Rutgers has done for it's wrestling club bring a ton of credibility to the program. They have gotten the New Jersey loyal, buy into the program concept down pat in regards to relations and recruiting. It's alot easier said than done but Goodale has done the CEO aspect of the job well at Rutgers. We'll never be elite until we move this aspect of our program along as well.
'
ne125
Expert

Postby meats » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:36 pm

Some time ago I stated I would refrain from commenting on this season and the direction of the Terp program until season's end. Well, with the regular season completed, I feel I have seem more than enough. And no more nibbling around the edges as to our problem. I had been optimistically hoping for several years that Kerry could turn around the gradual decline of the program that actually began during our last few years in the ACC. It is now painfully clear to me that we are going nowhere under the direction of our current head coach. Had we remained in the ACC, a conference we had dominated for a period with Pat Santoro's recruits, we probably would now be a distant last place. I could go on about shortcomings in recruiting, staff selection, lack of wrestler development, etc. We need new ideas, new energy and fire, a sense of urgency to make this program respectable again. This school has much to offer. Look what Pop has done at NCS and Goodale at Rutgers. Enough is enough. It's time we move on and the sooner the better. Sorry for the negativism but I care too much about this program to look the other way any longer.
meats
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:45 am

Ok we all knew it was coming to this, so let's have the conversation now. Meats, no one can disagree with you. You are absolutely right. This team has been really poor for several years now and I love the fact you pointed out this started before the conference transition. In our last season in the ACC, we finished 2nd to last and we put 3 guys into the finals (2 were returning AA's). Which means we got 0 contributions from the other 7 weights. We were bad that year, it was just being masked by Sheptocks run. Kerry has been here for 8 years and there is no excuse to defend what has happened to this program. This program has major flaws throughout that you never see in any legit d1 program. Meats you pointed out many of them but there was also the midlands traveling plans this year and guys missing weight, the MFF in tournaments and constant inability of our guys to become more. This is a cultural problem that starts with management. Any dimwit with any experience in wrestling or business management can see that. I hate the 2 excuses of "he is rebuilding the program" when it didn't need rebuilding before he arrived, and that "it takes several years to do it". Popolazio, Goodale, Tom Ryan and others have accomplished complete transformations of programs in 3 years. All of this points to Kerry being a great wrestler but not a very good coach.

Now this is my take on it. Kerry has 1 year remaining on his contract and is owed over $150,000 next year (one of the top coaching salaries which makes this situation even harder to swallow). There is no way the cash strapped UMD athletic department will eat this salary (by relieving Kerry of his duties) while paying another coach next year. There are also some interesting story lines next year. How will true freshman Cray will do? How Ty Goodwin will do when given a real shot? Is this the real Baby J or will he rebound? Will Rappo make the lineup and show us what he is capable of? Will Diehl become the wrestler he was in HS? What do we really have in all the guys in the current freshman class? Will Wesneski improve? What is Peck capable of when he gets some stability in his career? And others. I say keep Kerry on for his last year and hope that a miracle of biblical proportions takes place and this team becomes something 10 times greater than what they currently are. I know the current wrestlers love Kerry and will do anything to stop him from being replaced (remember these are his recruits), but are we here to win and become something more or make friends? Often times in the real world you can't have both so decisions have to be made. I think this lesson will serve these young men well and is much more important than maintaining the status quo. I think the only thing that can save Kerry's job at this point is an incredible run next year that shows he had a plan that no one else could see and somehow was able to bring all these pieces together. I think a national coaching search should begin today to come up with a list of possible interested coaches to take over the program should a Moses parting the Red Sea type of miracle not transpire. I'm really not worried if this undermines Kerry's recruiting next year because it has been aweful anyhow. Maybe this will even light a fire under Kerry and the team who knows. Always a supporter of the program, just not the current direction. Go Terps!!!
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby GoTerps1 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:37 pm

It's taken me some time to get there but now I have to agree: the program is abysmal and Kerry needs to go.

I thought he could recruit his way out of this problem but it's just not happening. And beyond recruiting problems, the primary characteristic I've noticed from Kerry's wrestlers is passivity. And that is just embarrassing.

Wrestlers are not developing under Kerry and the program has atrophied substantially from Santoro days. The point is not even debatable. Even in the ACC, Kerry's Terps would be at the bottom.

And just my personal opinion: Baby J will likely not become the D1 AA he was touted to be. Although I hope I am wrong, but nevertheless I think J is just too short and he has ZERO repertoire from on-top. He can't ride, he can't tilt, and he doesn't pin. If he can't take down an opponent with a lunge double, then he loses. 133 is a long way from 141 but perhaps dropping a weight class may help him. I wish J the best but he seems very one dimensional to me.

And maybe the next wrestling coach at Maryland will distance the program from Ficker, or at least we can hope....
GoTerps1
Novice

Postby EngineerLehigh » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:30 am

I would expect next year to be the last for Kerry McCoy at Maryland as much as I like him and as good as a technician/teacher he is. As with any elite organization it takes: talent acquisition>>talent development>>talent retention. Right now, Maryland can not compete in Big 10 at talent acquisition. I also do not believe the current staff can keep pace with talent development with mid-tier Big 10 teams. Probably time for a change. I think the right guy is Brad Dillon who was Pat's assistant for a number of years at Maryland.
EngineerLehigh
Expert

Postby randypl21 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:52 am

I love how many posters chant praise of Santoro who left- let's face it, because he honestly didn't belive he would ever win at MARYLAND with the type of support it received from the majority of the alumni base. So keep complaining and call for a coaching change but if the overall lack of $ support does not increase significantly you all will be complaining again and calling for another change... So round and round we go...
randypl21
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:17 am

Wow the lies. Coach Santoro was absolutely torn with his decision to leave UMD for Lehigh. I honestly think he was leaning on staying until he received a call from his mentor coach Strobel. When he left he so wanted to see the Terps succeed that he talked each of his guys and incoming recruits (most notably Josh Asper) into staying and not following him. Think of this as a Roy Williams leaving Kansas for UNC. They could and did win at both institutions, but when a father figure asks you for a favor you have to jump on it. I'm curious randy have you ever been to an NCAA tournament? When a UMD wrestler is on the mat Santoro is normally close by ( unless one of his guys is wrestling) and I have seen him on multiple occasions be the first to congratulate them outside of our coaching staff. These are guys he did not recruit. He does it because he so badly wants to see the Terps succeed. I have spoken to him 3 times since his departure and he has expressed the same to me. Not sure why you posted that garbage but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby meats » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Randypl21: You must have not followed too closely the Terps during the Santoro era nor the early years of the McCoy period. Here is a scoop....UMD was winning during those days. Numerous All Americans, nationally ranked, highly rated recruiting classes, dominating the ACC, with wins over Cornell, Michigan, Nebraska, Lehigh, VT, etc. But who can blame Santoro for seizing the opportunity to take over one of the all time top wrestling programs, a Lehigh program where wrestling is probably the most important sport on Campus and located in one of the top hotbeds of prep wresting. Pat had the UMD program moving in the right direction when he departed , most wished him good luck and thanks for what he had done. Now take a hard look at the steady decline of the program under the Kerry's 8 years, almost the direct opposite. And Kerry is one of the all time great mat wrestlers and a nice guy and gentleman. But he was and is not moving along the program in the manner needed to be retained. Replacing coaches happens in all sports and I believe we have been more than patient. I do not want nor enjoy bashing a decent man who , I assume was doing his best. But it's time for a change and with that change begin the movement to fire up the fan wrestling base once again and return the program to respectability. I do, however, appreciate your viewpoint and welcome your future thoughts on UMD wrestling.
meats
Veteran

Postby GoTerps1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:16 am

While I think there are a ton of excellent coaches out there, Donny Pritzlaff would be at the top of my list with perhaps John Hughes and Lou Rosselli.

For Santoro, Lehigh was going home. It was a tough choice for him but home is home.
GoTerps1
Novice

Postby meats » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:54 am

Just a few additional candidates to fire up the program. I really like Pritzlaff...plus Casey Cunningham, Mark Perry, Bryan Snyder, Damian Hahn, and 3 or 4 others. There is no shortage of good prospects. Just the thought fires me up.
meats
Veteran

Return to BIG 10