WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

TK Megonigal to UMD

Moderator: GAH

TK Megonigal to UMD

Postby ne125 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:58 am

Per Willy Saylor, TK Megonigal has given a verbal commitment to the University of Maryland. He projects at 149 in college and is definitely a solid addition to the program. He projects at 149 in college and I believe was 6th in the 2015 Beast (lost in the semis and injured defaulted out). in the 2014 Beast Tournament, Megonigal was a runner up to Headlee (now at UNC) 3-1. I believe he is a couple time national prep placer as well.
ne125
Expert

Re: TK Megonigal to UMD

Postby fitzi22 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:32 am

Nice pick up, I hope it's true. I remember when TK was at McDonough he was a total stud and looked like he was gonna be the next great to come out of there. Not quite sure what the circumstances were for his leaving or even where he was last year. I hear he is now at one of the VA super schools (Robinson or Madison or Jackson or something). Hopefully this mystery isn't a big deal because he is very talented. In addition to wrestling Headlee close I believe he wrestled super recruit Hayden Hidlay to a 1 point loss (3-2 or 4-3). My only reservation is how much he has grown (he's gone up something like 6 weight classes in the last 3 years). Not sure if he is done growing yet but I seriously doubt he can make and maintain 149. Good candidate for a redshirt to allow him additional time to grow into a weight.
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:50 am

Yes Fitzi, this looks like a done deal and yes, a nice pickup for UMD. He also took 7th in the Ironman in December. It looks like he’s competing way up at 152 this year so may project at 57/65. He’s kind of short so 149 is still a possibility. Again, the more talent that comes in , the better. Who knows how all these pieces will fit together in the lineup down the road but it’s good to have options. I’m certain Wade Hodges is a future 157 as word out of the wrestling room is he’s really struggling to get to 149. Of course we have a few more years left for Diehl to grow into 149. This class is solid with some good depth guys. A sleeper signing (though I didn’t see it listed in Kerry’s fall announcement) is Hunter Lucas, 120 lbs from Ohio. He has one loss this year in OT to two time state runner up Tony Decesare. Hunter Lucas himself is a state runner up in the Division 3 classification in Ohio. He’ll be in the mix to win 120 lbs this year though he has Mattin as a likely finals opponent who isn’t any joke. Throw in Alex Vargas of Syosset, NY (I think he’ll get on the podium this year at the NY states) , Micheal Doetsch as well as our top recruit, Brandon Cray and we have some new life coming into the 125 pound class. I expect Cray to start on day one next year. We’re just not getting it done this year at 125 and it’s hard to imagine next year would be any different if it’s Beck/Simmons starting again. We simply cannot give up atleast major decisions every single match. It’s killing us in duals. In 2017 Shane Metzler comes in from NJ at 125/133 and he is VERY good as well. Under the radar nationally and in a STACKED weight in NJ but he’s the real deal. 120 in Jersey is absolutely loaded this year so we’ll see if he can sneak into the finals. Cray is actually ranked 3rd at 125 where Suriano is so not sure if he’s moving down or staying put. Nikko Cappello, Vin Deflippo and McShea seem to be struggling a bit their senior seasons which is disappointing. Brady Ford is having a decent season for Bergen Catholic. These are just depth guys though with the hopes that one or two can sneak through and be competitive starters down the road. We still really need a 197 pounder to compete with Wesneski. There is always attrition every spring so hopefully they can get some money back and get that much needed missing piece. There probably are no blue chips left at 197 but there are always a few sleepers out there. UMD was close to landing two pretty good 197 pounders last spring only to see them bail at the last minute for better offers $$. There is some promise in the room but again, we need to see some people develop at a more rapid pace. We’ve seen mixed results with our True freshmen class. Some have surprised and some have disappeared.
ne125
Expert

Postby KTG » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:03 pm

fitzi22 wrote:Nice pick up, I hope it's true. I remember when TK was at McDonough he was a total stud and looked like he was gonna be the next great to come out of there. Not quite sure what the circumstances were for his leaving or even where he was last year. I hear he is now at one of the VA super schools (Robinson or Madison or Jackson or something). Hopefully this mystery isn't a big deal because he is very talented. In addition to wrestling Headlee close I believe he wrestled super recruit Hayden Hidlay to a 1 point loss (3-2 or 4-3). My only reservation is how much he has grown (he's gone up something like 6 weight classes in the last 3 years). Not sure if he is done growing yet but I seriously doubt he can make and maintain 149. Good candidate for a redshirt to allow him additional time to grow into a weight.

he is at James Madison HS in Vienna, which is not one of the power schools. I believe he missed weight at one of the qualifier tourneys prior to state last year. This year he is currently ranked #2 in the all class rankings at 152 in Va (#1 in 6A; Bolen from 3A C-Burg is #1 overall ahead of him, Bolen beat him 4-3 is Beast semis)
KTG
Veteran

Postby EngineerLehigh » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:16 pm

Kerry serious has to look at the Seniors coming out of PIAA NE Region at 182 and 195 who place Top 3. They will be good additions to the program and likely to emerge varsity by their redshirt sophomore years.

Sr. Keegan Connelly (20-4) Allentown Central Catholic @ 195
Sr. Jayden Reyes Allentown Dieruff @182
EngineerLehigh
Expert

Postby GoTerps1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:10 pm

152 – Tyler Megonigal, Senior, James Madison. Became the second State Champion in the Warhawks history (last Tony Bennett/Hwt/1962), and Coach Shawn Hutchinson’s first. Before transferring to Madison two years ago, Tyler attended The McDonogh School in Maryland where he was a 2X State Prep Champion. He has placed at many prestigious national level tournaments, including: The Beast of the East (2013/5th/113, 2014/2nd/132, 2015/6th/152); National Preps Tournament (2013/3rd/106, 2014/7th/113); and The Walsh Ironman. Last spring he was an All-American at the NHSCA Junior Nationals (4th/132). In the fall, Tyler will be attending the University of Maryland and wrestling for Coach Kerry McCoy.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F504251275B72EF6!1526&ithint=file%2cdocx&app=Word&authkey=!AIdIA2ErP-iYM44
GoTerps1
Novice

Return to BIG 10