WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

11/22/15 Terps Show Well at Wolfpack Open

Moderator: GAH

11/22/15 Terps Show Well at Wolfpack Open

Postby Allen Brown » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:08 pm

Allen Brown

Re: 11/22/15 Terps Show Well at Wolfpack Open

Postby MadHatter » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:14 am

So... Brown is wrestling? I am so confused... I thought he was taking time off/had quit. I don't know about his redshirt status... is he taking one this year? If he is, I guess that's OK, but we really could have used him in the lineup this year.

Besides Brown, I think we can see some good results at this tournament. As always with opens, one must take things with a grain of salt. It looks like the Wolkpack Open was a hodgepodge of D2/3, JuCo, redshirts, and legit D1 guys, so it's very difficult to assess the quality of the competition. That being said, it looks like just everyone in the lineup got a few wins (although Flo's software is tough to follow and trackwrestling doesn't seem to have bothered to enter the results).

- Our 125ers didn't fare too well- Coughlin got 2 wins and Robinson 1.
- No 133ers competed. Duke's Xavi Ramos, a native Marylander, got 3rd.
- At 141, we had Casella, Rappo, DeGeorge, Whitesail, and Walker in. Rappo notched 4 wins (3rd), but I believe all 5 had 2+ wins.
- Brown did well at 149; in addition, Arechiga scored a few wins, and Boychuck got 3. I am beginning to think that Boychuck may be a diamond in the rough. He's had some convincing wins thus far.
- We had 4 in at 157. Restrepo went 2-2, and Alexander went 3-2.
- Ugalde was our only 165 entry. It looks like he went 4-1 for 3rd.
- No one entered at 174. Feast/famine. 5 entries at 141, none at 174.
- At 184, Jaron Smoth picked up a few nice D1 wins before falling to MD native Spencer Neff.
- No one at 197. Not surprising, but I would have liked to see Twigg getting mat time in here.
- Peck went 1-2 at heavy. It looks like my hope of an AA season for him may have been in vain. Hemida wen 2-2

So all in all, a bit of a JV tournament. Still, wins are wins, and there were some studs in this tournament (Gwiazdowski is in full beast mode this season). Rappo turned a few heads last weekend, but Peck seems to be falling flat. OK results, all in all. I would have liked to see what sort of damage some of our starters could have done (Banister, Alexander, Goodwin, Mascola, Snook, Colabucci, etc.). And of course I am still confused about the status of Brown.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:06 am

Mad hatter, I don't like talking about wrestlers in a negative light but the word is that Brown is academically ineligible but the plan is for him to return next season if he gets his grades up. This isn't a redshirt year because he already redshirted as a true freshmen. This would represent missing his junior year of eligibility and he'd have 1 more year left. I think getting Hodges mat time early will benefit him down the road. I think he is going to be a good one in time and this year will be huge for development. Next year, they could potentially redshirt hodges and move Brown back into the lineup at 149 or even potentially push Ryan Diehl up to 149. We have some solid depth at many weigths so the coaches will have some flexibility.

I thought the NCSU results were so-so. Ugalde beat a national qualifier from Boston University (currently at American) and had a nice overall showing. Between him and Burnham (who has been the biggest suprise so far), we'll have 165 and 174 locked down for a few years (esp w/ Rowell and potentially Lopez and Idris White) I think Rappo has really improved. I would like to see him down to 133 next year to battle Goodwin/provide depth as Goodwin seems to miss alot of time for injury. I think Jaron Smith is going to keep getting better and better and be a force down the road. I am concerned with Peck's performance so far this year but word is he's dinged up some. I wonder if the coaching staff pulls Hemida's redshirt at some pont. He was in the starting lineup against Iowa though we forfeited. We obviously have major issues at 125 but i think the staff has gotten some solid recruits at this weight who will help down the road. Again, we just want to see the young guys keep improving so they can be capable starters next year. I think Lou and Bannister are off to a solid start. Also, it will be interesting to see what happens at 133 when Geoff is back.
ne125
Expert

Postby turtlehead » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:06 pm

Good analysis by all. As for Peck I think Kerry's master plan is backfiring. Word from the room is Peck is MIA at the coaches request. Apparently Peck is unhappy and not doing what he needs to do. If we don't pull the redshirt or move Twigg up we will see forfeits for the near future. That will not bode well. As for this weekend I am looking forward to see if Mascola can compete with IMART. Win or lose if he closes the gap compared to last year (lost by TF) that will mark progress and will set up a good run. Other than that I dont think the Terps have a premier match for the day. Any word on when the Alexanders are cleared to wrestle on the main stage?
turtlehead
Novice

Postby Allen Brown » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:11 pm

^^I don't know the NCAA's wrestling rules, but would rather argy about them than read them. I assume that Youssif Hemida recently traveled out to Iowa City with the Terp wrestling team and weighed in for the Iowa dual meet. Having done that, I think he's no longer eligible for a 2016 redshirt. Imo, there now is a reasonable possibility that we will see Homida compete Dec 5 vs Drexel.
Allen Brown

Postby turtlehead » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:37 am

Great thought Allen I think you are right.
turtlehead
Novice

Postby Allen Brown » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:05 pm

^^TURTLEHEAD, I recently have been contacted by UMD staff and told that UMD's taking Youssif Hemida to Iowa and weighing him in does NOT take him off redshirt. So, my above post was wrong and I wish I had a dime for everytime these many years I've been wrong. (I'd be driving a Mercedes instead of an old GM.)

Thus, so far, Youssif Hemida's still eligible for a 2016 RS. Hoping the Terps have a good 2016 and way beyond, -Allen (WR.com)
Allen Brown

Postby MadHatter » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:45 am

I guess that explains Brown. Fingers crossed for his successful return- for the team's sake, and his own.

I know it's still early in the season, but it looks like the Peck situation is going nowhere positive. Of course, now that I think about it, the fact that MD is his third school in 2 years should have sent alarm bells ringing- back to back transfers usually indicate larger issues. Well, again, for both the team's and his own sake, I hope he can do whatever he needs to do to become a productive member of the team, and a successful student. If not... we'll just have to suffer through this year, and hope Hemida is ready to be a 4-year starter, beginning next Fall.

I wonder why Diehl didn't suit up for the tournament? His showing at Bearcat was poor, and I doubt I am the only one who was looking forward to some redemption. If he is just rusty and needs some more D1 matches, these open tournaments are the places to get them.

Also disconcerting is how injury-prone our 133s are. We have two very good wrestlers at this spot, and they both have had numerous issues staying healthy. On a related note, intermat now has Goodwin ranked 18th: http://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/college/133.
MadHatter
Veteran

Return to BIG 10