WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Maryland 2018

Moderator: GAH

Re: Maryland 2018

Postby meats » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:34 pm

Hatter, saw this as well, about a month ago but his name not on any commit lists to Maryland like Intermat nor as someone who signed during the early period last month. If accurate, seems like a nice get but I hope the info is accurate and he did sign in November.
meats
Veteran

Postby meats » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Stumbled on an article in The Sentinel by Lem Satterfield regarding Montgomery County Maryland wrestling preview dated 12 Dec 2017. He says Purkey of Damascus High is" U of MD bound". That's seems to be another source confirming. If Purkey actually signed in November, McCoy could have announced, as I understand the recruiting rules.
meats
Veteran

Postby Terpfan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:19 pm

I know I am beating a dead horse with this but really? Intermat has no commits to Maryland yet. Is this some stealth campaign we are running. I can almost see a situation where you dump the season because you are out there beating the bushes for commits to create a little buzz that is not coming off the mat. That is not what is happening. The team seems lifeless on the mat and on the recruiting trail. Were there any Kerry sightings at IronMan or Beast? . . . .
https://intermatwrestle.com/recruiting/ ... dir=up#tab

Even more disturbing is the Sphinx of College Park act. We as fans do not get anything. Durkin and Turgeon at least give some updates. And this: http://www.centredaily.com/sports/colle ... 64449.html from the Coach of the best team in the country about his lineup and what he is thinking about going into a dual.

It all just makes a fan wanna holla.
Terpfan
Novice

Postby KTG » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Bannister won Wilkes today.
KTG
Veteran

Postby Terpfan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:14 pm

Hermida looks great, for the rest of Maryland's squad it is a nightmare. I am glad there were no medical forfeits this year but the number of our guys who got run by average wrestlers is surprising.
Terpfan
Novice

Postby fitzi22 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:51 pm

There wasn’t anything good about the match last night other than the size of the crowd. It really is amazing how much size Hemida has put on in the last 2 years. He is now too tall and strong to get pushed around by most heavyweights and has developed an effective upper body series. Just think if Dawson Peck was able to be a little more mature we wouldn’t have pulled Hemidas redshirt and we would have 2 more years of him.... oh well. I don’t understand why the rest of the team can’t develope muscle like Hemida. Every tOSU wrestler looked trimmed, built up and ready for battle. And every UMD wrestler looked undersized, soft and weak on top of our low confidence and poor conditioning. I just don’t understand why we look like a DII team wrestling our first dual of the year. It was embarrassing watching our guys just walk out there, not to mention the 2 med defaults in the first minute of the matches. (Alexander got a concussion on a simple double leg 12 secs in and Ugalde appeared to fake a right knee injury whenever things were turning bad against tOSUs backup..... both pretty sad). I’m a firm believer that one of the main reasons our guys get hurt so often is because of our lack of muscle. We are so far away from being a real DI team we can’t even deal with a hard double leg without getting concussed. Totally ridiculous and a waste of time for tOSU.
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby meats » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:25 pm

There is just nothing more to say about the incredible demise of this program under McCoy. I've given up. And anyone who thinks money is the problem simply has not followed the program with any degree of attention the last 6 or so years. I agree with Fitzi completely. But hey, one has to be proud of Hemida and the manner in which he has developed since his junior year in high school, and never redshirting as well. Way to go big guy.

The school has got to hire a new AD as soon as possible.
meats
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Maybe this isn’t the right place to discuss this but I have been hearing about the partying ways of our wrestling team for a few years now. I haven’t heard it from anyone on the team but rather from other scholarship athletes who enjoy partying with the wrestlers. Now I’m not so naive to think that partying doesn’t exist in college or on teams but I have heard rumblings that that is all we are known for which is a problem. I heard just last night a few members from a different sport discussing how badly we were getting beat (and we were) but there was a silver lining because the wrestling house party would start earlier. I don’t understand how our guys could plan and entertain a house party after that shlacking. The difference between those 2 programs is focus and hard work. We have little to none. When one considers our lack of muscle, meek attitude, and poor academic performances; a general acceptance of a partying attitude amongst the members of this team makes sense. This program needs a complete culture change. We have too many scholarship athletes skating by academically and athletically simply because they can. That’s why we can’t recruit anyone. If you were a serious wrestler who wants to win as much as possible it’s obvious this is not gonna be the place to do it. Change is a must in my opinion. Complete culture change.
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby MadHatter » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:36 pm

Well, at least we had an interesting look last night. But... yeah, awful results.

Cray got slaughtered, no surprise there as Tomasello is the #1 guy in the country.

Simmons managed to avoid a pin or tech, good on him for that.

Very disappointed in the last few weeks for Diehl. He came into the season with high hopes, a respectable national ranking, and held his own for the first month or so. He's been, well, just bad since then though losing to several unranked guys, sometimes by large margins. Now he gets teched by the #6- McKenna is tough to be sure, but Diehl SHOULD be close to his level, given his B10 run last year and overall pedigree. Looks like the patented Maryland mid-season meltdowns are starting.

Baby J is finally in the lineup, I guess that's good. He got beat pretty bad by the type of guy he will need to beat if he wants to be taken seriously as an All-American candidate.

Where is Cochran at 157? Hurt? Ineligible? Transferred out? Dead? We had him start because he's the best guy at the weight. Right now he needs to see competition and work to get used to the D1 level.

Burnham has heart, and manages to stay injury free and in the lineup. Credit where it is due.

Where is Jaron Smith? We have (yet again) a platoon weight class, thanks (yet again) to our inability to keep guys in the lineup.

So Abdul-Malik is now a starter? Certainly interesting. I wasn't even aware he was on the team. Good call to have his first D1 match against Moore, who is an animal.

Hemida is having a great year- if you're not sure just visit the MD site, where he has been mentioned in about 80% of the headlines this season.

Ugh. Just awful.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:22 pm

A couple things I’ve picked up from watching and talking to some parents of team members:

125- Cray is battling but is undersized at the moment. His confidence is taking a huge blow right now as we continue through the Big Ten grind.
133- Simmons is our best guy if only because as a redshirt senior he knows how not to get pinned. Yea it’s that bad.
141- Diehl has been dealing with his knee injury. Apparently it’s not a structural thing and he has chosen the admirable thing and battle on regardless. The problem is his explosiveness and foot speed is way down. I don’t see it improving anytime soon so what you see is what you get.
149- Bannister has apparently taken it upon himself to change his style of wrestling back to a more open/scoring style like he used in high school. Supposedly, the coaching staff changed his style freshman year to a more conservative low scoring style to maximize his ability. They were worried that he wouldn’t be able to scramble very well with his short arms and unfortunately it looks like they were right as he lost the only 2 scrambled against tOSU. So unless he can figure things out it will be more of the same.
157- Cochran is out and no one wanted to say why. Either it’s not a big deal or they are embarrassed to talk about it.
165- Burnham is the guy because there is no one else. He can battle enough to not get pinned but don’t expect much more.
174- Ugalde is a head case who is supposedly injured now. I have low expectations for him and this weight. Also we currently have no one at all for this weight or 157 so our plan is to forfeit them for the time being.
184- Smith is out for the rest of the year with a knee injury. He is on crutches with a big brace. We will be throwing that poor kid Niko out there for now but he won’t be able to avoid a pin very often.
197- Whisler was battling back from injury and has had a set back. The parent I was talking to said it doesn’t look good for him to come back which is why Malik’s redshirt was pulled.
285- Thank God for Hemida because he is the only ray of sunshine on this team. He is a R12 guy with a good chance to AA with the right draw.

We have had some really bad teams lately but no team has had a total breakdown and collapse like this one. We need a culture change. Go Terps
Last edited by fitzi22 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby Terpfan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:21 pm

I am with you on the Go Terps. I really want this team to do well and represent the state and the school well, but these last two duals were ugly. It is not jsut that they got crushed in them, it is that we really looked out matched, even against backup and unranked kids. You are right there has to be a culture change and a change at the top.
I saw that Cael was at the HUB Cup at North Hagerstown Friday to watch Brooks (who competed and won the championship with a broken foot).

Who do you think can turn this thing around. I would really want to see a full room and weight classes that were actively competed for. I have been impressed as heck by South Dakota State. Northern Iowa, and Arizona State. What are the chances Maryland gets a young coach who will bust his ass on the recruiting circuit, bring in some hungry assistant coaches and get some excitement back in College Park.

I am glad you were able to get the hook up in the stand about the status of some of the team, because we sure would not have found out any other way.
Terpfan
Novice

Postby Terpfan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:25 pm

I hope I am not beating a dead horse but has anyone heard about any Maryland commits yet in the class of 2018? Intermat does not have any listed.

We are still fully funded aren't we?
Terpfan
Novice

Postby TwoCrows » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:31 am

Cochran wrestled at the F&M Open where he lost 3-2 to Michael Bartolo of Clarion in the championship round and then by rule in the consolation semifinals. (There was something about a match limitation and this would have been his 6th bout. Doetsch also lost by rule for his 6th bout.) Whisler also wrestled at the F&M open. Gerish won at 165. Good thing the first place bout was only his fifth!
TwoCrows
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:54 pm

A demoralizing loss to Nebraska. Losing 48-3 to a team that UNC beat and NCSU crushed is such a punch to the gut. I don’t want to pile on but this season has been a lot worse than I could’ve ever imagined. Obviously Hemida has been awesome and that’s a silver lining but everything else has been one disappointment after another. Look at our best guys who are presumably on big money….Cray beat Sebastian Rivera in HS and now is nowhere near his level. Cray's a talented kid but is really struggling to adjust in the big ten. That loss to Wisconsin, a kid he was handling, really hurt him. Watching his teammates struggle obviously isn't helping matter. Goodwin, gone for the year /done for career without explanation. Diehl-Fitzi said he is injured which accounts for his bad performances. Bannister-ineligible for half the year and now noticeably off of his game. Cochrane-our top recruit showed promise in the beginning of the year and is now MIA. Ugalde is struggling with consistency, injury defaults to a back up from Ohio state and was MIA versus Nebraska. Same story for Justin Alexander for that matter. Jaron Smith-injured, gone for the year whisler- injured, been out all season. Abdul-Malik-missing all fall but shows up in the lineup this past weekend. You look at the people who have left for one reason or another like hodges, boychuck, rastrepo, weneski, hunter lucas, Dan sanchez & beck. Shy Brown missed most of his last 2 seasons of eligibility. When will the bleeding end? The injuries, as stated so many times on here, are outrageous. I think the point made above about our guys not being physical enough is valid. How else can one explain these injuries? Maybe it is a mental toughness issue. I was listening to Flo radio a few weeks back and the hosts were talking about how the Binghamton job was now open. They were saying that the elite guys wouldn’t likely go for that job but then insinuated that there is a high potential coaching opportunity out there that a lot of coaches will ask them “what are you hearing about that job”. They were hesitant to say what job it was until Willy Saylor finally said “Maryland” as the job a lot of coaches are asking about. He said he didn’t feel bad saying that because Kerry himself has been telling A LOT of people for several years that he is looking to get out. This is obviously interesting news and I doubt our sport’s leading media outlet would just being throwing completely erroneous information out there. I don’t think this revelation is a huge surprise to people who follow the program but the fact it was discussed on Flo radio eye opening in that it is obviously well-known. The fact we have ZERO reported recruits in 2018 by FLO & intermat adds to the mystery of what is going on behind the scenes. Fitzi’s post about the over-abundance of partying by team members makes sense in light of the lack of development and injury prone nature of our wrestlers. We desperately need to recruit a different breed of wrestler as soon as possible to compete in a respectable fashion versus our big ten competition. A lot of the best kids in the nation talk about living life the 'right way' away from the mat. We have no athletic director either which will likely carry on through the spring so who knows what the future holds. What a sad time.
ne125
Expert

Postby MadHatter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:59 am

Good info here the last few days. And yes, it's obvious the problems with this program are not going to end until a real, top to bottom change is made. Once again, shame on us for hoping. Just 3 months ago, we were all in agreement that this squad looked to be the best that we had put on the mat in 5+ years. And now our lineup is but a pale shadow of what it could have/should have been. Tell you what, in addition to the overall damage that is being done to the program and tradition, I'm upset over the damage being done to the dreams of dozens of young men. Guys who fought, bled, cut weight, and worked their asses off through high school, and committed to a program led by a former Olympian only to see their team made into a punch line that is better known for great parties than any sort of competitive success. At this point I don't blame guys like Ugalde for throwing in the towel- he's got his scholarship, why bother pushing for anything else?

Really tough to hear about Diehl's injury. He had a dominant HS career and has shown flashes of brilliance, but the last few weeks have shown that he just can't handle the grind. No shame in that, many former HS stars get bested by injuries.

I'm not throwing the towel in on Bannister yet. He stayed active during his "time out", and he dominated open tournaments. Yes, he's taken 2 lopsided losses to ranked guys, but there are still plenty of matches to win.

I am still utterly at a loss as to what to think about Abdul-Malik. He was nationally ranked as a junior, had a very subpar senior year and pretty much fell off the radar, had some sort of issue with admissions, and then randomly appears in the lineup right in the middle of the season. Only at Maryland.

Oh yeah, Hemida. He's having a great season, and I really think he can break into the top 6 at NCAAs. Next year, with Snyder and Coon gone, a top-4 finish is a real possibility. Unfortunately, one guy can't make a team.

Go Terps.
MadHatter
Veteran

Previous

Return to BIG 10